PDA

View Full Version : Who likes Sheperd's Pie???

moosmom
03-03-2008, 10:45 AM
It is my all-time FAVORITE thing to eat. Anyone else like it?

I make mine with hamburg, corn, mashed potatoes and grated cheddard cheese.

Recipe:

Brown beef. Layer in either a round cake pan or pie tin. Beef first, then potatoes, corn, and cheese. Layer it till you can't put anymore in (you can make a "pile" if you want). Bake at 375 for 1 hour. YUMMY!!!!!!

Oh, and for the mashed potatoes, I use Oreda Frozen. They're real mashed potatoes that are frozen. Takes the work outta peeling and cutting up.

Anyone else have any other recipes for Sheperd's Pie???

Sirrahsim
03-03-2008, 10:57 AM
I use Rachel Ray's recipe :) Yummo :p

30 minute Shepherd's pie
2 pounds potatoes, such as russet, peeled and cubed
2 tablespoons sour cream or softened cream cheese
1 large egg yolk
1/2 cup cream, for a lighter version substitute vegetable or chicken broth
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, 1 turn of the pan
1 3/4 pounds ground beef or ground lamb
1 carrot, peeled and chopped
1 onion, chopped
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup beef stock or broth
2 teaspoons Worcestershire, eyeball it
1/2 cup frozen peas, a couple of handfuls
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves

Boil potatoes in salted water until tender, about 12 minutes. Drain potatoes and pour them into a bowl. Combine sour cream, egg yolk and cream. Add the cream mixture into potatoes and mash until potatoes are almost smooth.
While potatoes boil, preheat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add oil to hot pan with beef or lamb. Season meat with salt and pepper. Brown and crumble meat for 3 or 4 minutes. If you are using lamb and the pan is fatty, spoon away some of the drippings. Add chopped carrot and onion to the meat. Cook veggies with meat 5 minutes, stirring frequently. In a second small skillet over medium heat cook butter and flour together 2 minutes. Whisk in broth and Worcestershire sauce. Thicken gravy 1 minute. Add gravy to meat and vegetables. Stir in peas.

Preheat broiler to high. Fill a small rectangular casserole with meat and vegetable mixture. Spoon potatoes over meat evenly. Top potatoes with paprika and broil 6 to 8 inches from the heat until potatoes are evenly browned. Top casserole dish with chopped parsley and serve.

Denyce
03-03-2008, 11:02 AM
It is my all-time FAVORITE thing to eat. Anyone else like it?

I make mine with hamburg, corn, mashed potatoes and grated cheddard cheese.

Recipe:

Brown beef. Layer in either a round cake pan or pie tin. Beef first, then potatoes, corn, and cheese. Layer it till you can't put anymore in (you can make a "pile" if you want). Bake at 375 for 1 hour. YUMMY!!!!!!

Oh, and for the mashed potatoes, I use Oreda Frozen. They're real mashed potatoes that are frozen. Takes the work outta peeling and cutting up.

Anyone else have any other recipes for Sheperd's Pie???

We do pretty much the same thing only we mix the beef and vege's together and then use the Idahoan 4 cheese dried potatos and then sprinkle more chedder/jack cheese on top so it gets all browned and nummy.

sirrahbed
03-03-2008, 11:22 AM
hee hee I see sirrahsim also makes a RR version but different from mine. here is my favorite - I also buy the frozen mashed potatoes that have sour cream and chive in them - the bacon, cumin and sour cream in this recipe makes it taste really different and rich - It is soooo good!!

Smoky Turkey Shepherd's Pie Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray
Show: 30 Minute Meals
Episode: Fast Track to Satisfaction

3 large Idaho potatoes, peeled and cubed
Coarse salt
2 tablespoons EVOO - extra-virgin olive oil - 2 turns of the pan
1/4 pound smoky bacon or turkey bacon, chopped
1 1/3 pound ground turkey breast
1 tablespoon smoked paprika, available in small cans on spice aisle of market
(You may substitute 1 1/2 teaspoons each sweet paprika and cumin combined *this is what I used)
Coarse black pepper
2 tablespoons, 5 or 6 sprigs, fresh thyme leaves
1 medium onion, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and diced
3 ribs celery from the heart, chopped
1 small red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
2 cups frozen peas
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup sour cream, divided
3 tablespoons butter
1 large egg, beaten
10 to 12 blades fresh chives, chopped or snipped

Bring a medium pot of water to a boil, salt it, and cook the potatoes until tender, 12 to 15 minutes. *I use frozen w/sour cream & chive
Heat a deep, large skillet over medium-high heat. Add EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, to the skillet. Add bacon and brown it up, then add ground turkey to the pan and break it up. Season the turkey with smoked paprika, salt and peppe,r and thyme. When turkey browns up, add: onions, carrots, celery. Season the veggies with salt and pepper. Cook 5 minutes, then add red pepper and peas cook another 2 minutes. Stir in flour and cook flour 2 minutes. Whisk in broth and combine. Add 1/2 cup of sour cream and combine. Simmer mixture over low heat.

Preheat your broiler to high.

When potatoes are tender, add a ladle of cooking water to the egg. Drain potatoes and return to the warm pot to dry them out a little. Add remaining 1/2 cup sour cream, butter, half of the chives, and salt and pepper. Smash and mash the potatoes, mashing in the beaten, tempered egg. If the potatoes are too tight, mix in a splash of milk.

Pour turkey mixture into a medium casserole dish. Top turkey with an even layer of smashed potatoes and place casserole 5 inches from hot broiler. Broil the potatoes until golden at edges and remove the casserole from the oven. Garnish the casserole with the remaining chives and a sprinkle of smoked paprika.

Emeraldgreen
03-03-2008, 11:26 AM
I LOVE shepherds pie! I used to make it for my dad all the time. He said it was the all time comfort food. I like to pour mushroom soup over the vegetable layer of the pie and it makes it really saucy. :)

Freedom
03-03-2008, 11:33 AM
Our is more like Denyce said. Beef, with peas, maybe a bit of onion. Once that is cooked on the stove top, place it in the dish, put the mash potatoe on top and bake.

I have NEVER had cheese in or on it!

Grace
03-03-2008, 11:34 AM
My husband's favorite comfort food is meatloaf, but Shepherd's Pie is a close second.

SHEPHERD’S PIE

1 pound ground beef
10 ounces mixed vegetables, thawed and drained
1 can Tomato soup
¼ cup water
1 teaspoon dry, minced onion
1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
¼ teaspoon Thyme leaves
½ teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper

1 container refrigerated, mashed potatoes – Bob Evans or Country Crock

Brown and drain beef. Combine beef, veggies, soup, water and seasonings in a 2 quart casserole dish. Warm potatoes as directed on container – spread over beef mixture. If you like, you can mix in some shredded cheddar cheese.

Bake at 350° for 30 minutes.

Another option is to bake for 25 minutes, sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese, then bake for 5 more minutes.

Taz_Zoee
03-03-2008, 12:39 PM
Ok, I am SOOO hungry now!!! I think I might try one of these recipes here soon. NOTE: I don't cook!! So we'll see how it turns out. LOL

Husky_mom
03-03-2008, 01:13 PM
I have no clue on what that is.. but sound much like what we call "pastel de carne".. or meat cake ...LOL....

I really am way too picky and almost never have it, but if need be I mostly just like it pure meat, no veggies or anything.... just well seasoned meat... I just don´t like extra thick meat so I hate thick hamburgers.... they gross me out.... it´s more a thing of undercook meat I can´t stand...

our "pastel de carne" is made just with "carne molida" if you can get sirloin one much better.... just now I found this way better meat I love

cassiesmom
03-03-2008, 01:24 PM
I don't like lamb so I don't make shepherd's pie very often ... but with beef (cottage pie) ... yupper! Dominick's (Safeway) supermarket carries a good frozen one under the Dominick's name- black box, yellow letters. I love cottage pie. I'll have to try doing it with ground turkey, never thought of that.

Here's one for meat pies. I learned about meat pies from the Frugal Gourmet. This recipe is called Armenian meat pies - I don't know anyone Armenian, though! I stink at making dough so I use a bought pie crust instead.
http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/255/ArmenianMeatPies62423.shtml

There's a restaurant near my house that serves authentic British pub grub. I have a serious shepherd's pie craving coming on!

carole
03-03-2008, 01:28 PM
Donna i usually make one every week, or at least every two weeks, it does us for two meals, we also call it cottage pie here and shepherds pie as well, and we call hamburg, mince, but it is generally the same thing.

I used to make a much more lavish one, but now i am healthy conscience and make it as low fat as possible, which means no cheese on top, i really miss that, only a very small dob of margerine, i used the lowest fat mince, and the best cut premium i can get, and i only put grated carrot ,onion and bisto which is a gravy type powder in it,a dash of tomato sauce and then top with mashed potatoe mixed only with low fat milk, still tastes pretty good, but it all depends on how nice your mince-aka hamburg is really. :)

Oh i just read the threads, i did not realise shepherds pie is done with lamb and cottage with beef, we use either name here and use beef mince all the time, interesting, also reading the different variations people use to make this recipe tasty. :)

Karen
03-03-2008, 01:34 PM
I have never had shepherd's pie made with beef - growing up it was yummy yummy yummy and made with chunks of lamb, in dark gravy, with mashed potatoes on top. Nothing else, in my mind, counts as shepherd's pie. After all, where would a shepherd get beef?

Now, sadly, I am allergic to both beef AND lamb, so none for me, thanks!

Barbara
03-03-2008, 01:47 PM
Karen, you are probably right with the lamb but I also make it with beef.
I put the beef (lean, ground beef) in the pan with onions, peas, a chopped tomato, a fine chopped chili, garlic, olive oil, flat-leaf parsley, put the mashed potatoes (made myself from potatoes, milk and butter) on top and sprinkle the cheese on top (I like Holland Gouda for it). :D
Yummy :)

If I have any veggies left- carrots, celeriac, bellpeppers they can easily end in there.

carole
03-03-2008, 01:47 PM
On thinking about it Karen you are so right lol, maybe i have my names mixed up, i always thought cottage and shepherds pie were the same thing, now i know different lol. :)

critter crazy
03-03-2008, 02:50 PM
I absolutely Love Shepards Pie!!! We make ours with beef as well, as I dont care for Lamb. We use, Mashed potatoes, ground beef with minced onion, Tomatoe Sauce, Carrots and green beans. I love it, and make it about 1 every two weeks. :D

kittycats_delight
03-03-2008, 02:57 PM
A favorite here too but it has been almost 3 years since I made it last. I make mine also with ground beef with finely chopped onions, HEINZ tomato soup (can't get it here though), creamed corn and mashed potatoes to top. Hubby just loves it and never ever had it until he came to Canada 5 years ago.

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
03-03-2008, 02:58 PM
Oh wow, didn't know we made it so differently than everyone else, :o

We use chicken instead of beef. Ours is potatoes, gravy, peas, and chicken.

:)

Interesting thread! Corn sounds yummy. :p

moosmom
03-03-2008, 04:39 PM
Don't worry Carole, I didn't realize that Sheperd's Pie is made with lamb, and cottage pie is with beef. I don't like lamb so, I guess I eat alot of cottage pie. It's still yummy.

SPEAKING OF "ROASTS"(no not this one)

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c358/deploss13/DCP_3439.jpg?t=1203530339

My meatloaf is so good!! I mix a pound of beef with one egg, breadcrumbs, and a jar of medium salsa and, cheese (of course!!). Mix and put in loaf pan, top with more salsa and bake for an hour at 400.

dukedogsmom
03-03-2008, 05:32 PM
I make an Italian version with spaghetti sauce and I add corn to it. Then garlic mashed potatoes topped with mozzerlla cheese. It's so good!

Karen
03-03-2008, 05:36 PM
Oh wow, didn't know we made it so differently than everyone else, :o

We use chicken instead of beef. Ours is potatoes, gravy, peas, and chicken.

:)

Interesting thread! Corn sounds yummy. :p

Hee hee - I'd call that Chicken Casserole, no sheep involved!

Jods
03-03-2008, 06:22 PM
yes originally shepherds pie is made with lamb but many ppl use beef now.

I do basically the same as most here except I like the top to be a cheese then bread crumbs and butter on top of that to give it a sort of crust YUM!

carole
03-03-2008, 07:17 PM
wow hasn't this turned into an interesting thread, so many variations, it is kinda cool here in NZ today, i wish now i had defrosted the mince and had some cottage pie for dinner, oh well scotch fillet steak will have to do instead lol :)

Jods i just had to add everytime i see your little Zoey in your siggy i just wanna squeeze her tight ,she is so darn cute,cute as a button. :)

cali
03-03-2008, 07:42 PM
yuck, but then I am a very picky eater, my parents made me try it when I was younger, I found it so gross that I have avoided it like the plague ever since lol

slleipnir
03-03-2008, 07:52 PM
I loooove Sheperd's Pie...yummmy! It apparently tastes good the original way of making it with Lamb...although I've never tried it

Jessika
03-03-2008, 07:56 PM
I thought I did like it, but then I ate it at a... Scottish Festival or something similar in St. Louis and hated it, so I'd been afraid to eat it ever since. But if there are different variations of it... that one you described sounds amazing!

kitten645
03-03-2008, 08:27 PM
I LOVE Shepard's Pie. It's my all time fave (and Cornish Pasties too!) Thanks for all the variety of recipies. I'll try them all! :)

Grace
03-03-2008, 09:02 PM
I LOVE Shepard's Pie. It's my all time fave (and Cornish Pasties too!) Thanks for all the variety of recipies. I'll try them all! :)

Pasties - we love them!! We can only get the good ones when we go to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

luckies4me
03-03-2008, 09:17 PM
I love it!!! :D However, I like it a lot better with spicey ground sausage instead of beef. The flavor is intense! :D

Lilith Cherry
03-03-2008, 10:37 PM
I love Shepherds'/cottage pie too. In England we make it with the remains of the sunday roast ( either lamb or beef) minced or diced and mixed with left over vegetables, usually peas and carrots, and lots of meaty gravy(also left from the roast)and a chopped onion. We top it with creamy mashed potatoes made with an egg and butter and put it in the oven for an hour or so to brown. Until I came to North America I had never seen it with corn before and somehow it doesn't taste right to my family that way.

It was originally a quick and easy meal for housewives to prepare so they had time to tackle the family laundry on Monday morning ( traditionally washing day in England!)

It is real "comfort food" and we all love it!

Jods
03-04-2008, 06:54 AM
carole:

thank you!

Barbara
03-04-2008, 08:28 AM
I thought I did like it, but then I ate it at a... Scottish Festival or something similar in St. Louis and hated it, so I'd been afraid to eat it ever since. But if there are different variations of it... that one you described sounds amazing!

Don't you think they gave you some haggis at the Scottish festival ;)

jennielynn1970
03-04-2008, 10:25 AM
My mom makes some weird version... it's hamburger with seasoning around the casserole dish, then has seasoned potato filling on the inside. Top with the seasoned hamburger and bake it. Drain the fat from the burger off as it bakes.

When I want sheperd's pie, I go to WaWa, and get theirs... it's basically beef stew on top of mashed potatoes. It's comfort food, and I like their version.

carole
03-04-2008, 02:16 PM
Cali you sound exactly like my 15 year old daughter lol. :)

Jods you are most welcome, i tell the truth. :)

I am making cottage pie tomorrow night for tea, yum. :)and my Ash love's me for it, he is my only cat that will eat the mince before it is cooked, he just love's it, would do handstands for it :D , if he were capable lol, none of the other kitties like it at all. :)

K9karen
03-04-2008, 10:50 PM
:eek: :eek: This is so wierd! I swear..I like to make different meals all the time, especially for my elder aunt and uncle who can only nuke a prepared meal. I was just thinking of making Shepard's Pie for the first time and was looking at Rachael Rays, Cooks. com, and cookbooks just to get an idea if spicing etc. This is like a Twight Zone moment because I JUST mentioned it to my brother about 1/2 hour ago!!!!! Someone gave me 10 pounds of red potatoes and I only used a few, so I need to use them before they go bad.

All the recipes sound awesome.. and me with 2 broken printers. :mad:

Edit; QUESTION...
Some Recipes mention tomato soup or gravy in the casserole.Can you still add cheese on top? I never had cheese and a brown gravy mixture. Tomato, yes...

Also..if I'm making some for my relatives-will they be able to nuke the leftovers?

moosmom
03-05-2008, 08:52 AM
Wow!! I didn't realize there were so many variations of this dish!! Leftovers??? Heck yeah!!

shepgirl
03-05-2008, 09:48 AM
Shepherd's pie is one of the great favourites around here. I make mine the way we always had it as a kid. Extra lean ground beef, browed and drained with lots of onions, corn on top of the meat and seasoned mashed potatoes on top with grated cheddar cheese....yummm.