PDA

View Full Version : Piercing Ears

mina'smomma
03-03-2008, 08:27 AM
Ok I'm putting this here because I'm afraid it might be contreversal. Lee Roy and I are talking about having Cadience's ears pierced when she is about 10 months old. Reason being is that is when mine were done, she won't remember the pain and she is young enough that she won't constantly play with them. I would be taking her to a pediatrician to do it so I know its done right and with sterile products. (sorry just don't trust those jewlery places)

ramanth
03-03-2008, 08:55 AM
I was 8 when I got my first set of piercings. 16 when she offered to pay for my second set.

I guess if you don't mind taking the time to make sure they are clean and such, then I have no problems with it.

Personally, I'd wait until my child actually asks for them. :)

AdoreMyDogs
03-03-2008, 09:09 AM
It's truly a parents decision. I personally would never do it to a baby, and I don't like seeing babies with pierced ears, but it's my own opinion and I don't fault parents who have it done, I just wouldn't do it.

I will wait until Quinn is old enough to want it done and old enough to be able to take care of them. My hubby and I decided that probablly no earlier then 6 would we let Quinn have her ears pierced. I had mine done when I was 13. I'd prefer waiting until Quinn was 8-10 years old, but if she REALLY wants it done earlier we'll have an open mind.

moosmom
03-03-2008, 09:20 AM
First off, I cannot believe that Quinn has gotten so big!!

I had Amy's ears pierced done when she was three and do NOT recommend it. I had it done at one of those ear piercing places. She's now 32 and has 2 holes in each ear AND a tattoo that she got about 6 months ago.

If I had to do it over, I would've had it done when she was an infant. But you know hindsight.

jackie
03-03-2008, 10:31 AM
It is common in S. America and here to pierce the ears when the baby is 3 days old. I don't see anything wrong with it.

Uabassoon
03-03-2008, 10:37 AM
Mine were pierced at the hospital before I even came home! It's common practice in many hispanic cultures. I personally see nothing wrong with it. It hurts only for a moment, no more than a shot.

Sirrahsim
03-03-2008, 10:47 AM
I personally don't agree with it. In my opinion, getting a baby's ears pierced is pointless. It doesn't help their growth and development in any way and they won't even be old enough to enjoy having earrings for years. Why not wait until your child is old enough to ask for them :confused: The whole practice seems silly to me and it makes me sad to see a little bitty baby with holes in her ears.
I guess it is the parent's decision but it is her little body and I don't agree with poking unnecessary holes in it.

sirrahved
03-03-2008, 10:51 AM
I think it's something that changes your body forever. IMHO, a person should be able to decide whether they have holes added to their body or not. I don't see it as any huge abuse to pierce a baby's ears, but I'd never do it.

btw, some of us LIKE the pain of piercing:)

sparks19
03-03-2008, 11:18 AM
I am not having Hannahs ears pierced until she is older and asks for it and is willing and able to learn how to take care of them. But I dont' see anything wrong with it.

I got mine done when I was about 11 and I was terrified lol but I wanted them. I had them done and really got over my fear lol. it wasn't as bad as i thought it would have been. Now I have 4 in one ear and 3 in the other.

Karen
03-03-2008, 11:49 AM
I worked at an Earring Tree, and did a few babies even younger. The youngest was 1 week old, her mom held her facing forward, she was sound asleep, I did one ear, she made a little squeak noise and flopped her head to the side so I could do the other.

As long as you will be careful about keeping them clean and rotating them, etc., I see no harm in it. As Laura said, it's quite common in some cultures.

Usually, the youngest we would do a child old enough to squirm was 4 years old if there was only one employee in the shop. For a two-year-old, it was best to have two people, one for each ear, to get it done all in one shot. The funniest incident regarding people being afraid was one evening, I was working by myself, and a little girl approached the counter, Mom following. "My name is Rachel, and I am 4 now," she proudly stated, "and ready to get my ears pierced." Mom consented, they picked the studs, and Miss Confidence hopped up on the stool. I marked her ears with the marker, showed her in the mirror, "Yup!" she said. So I did one ear, then the other, she barely even moved. She was so excited to see her earrings in that she practically was skipping when she left.

Well, unnoticed by Rachel, lurking outside the corner of the booth were three guys, all over 6 feet tall, and one turned to other - the one most obviously 'drunk for courage' and said "Man, now you GOTTA do it! That little girl just shamed you into it!" He had apparently been wanting to get an earring for so long that his friends said they were sick of him talking about it, and it was time to do it!

Husky_mom
03-03-2008, 12:21 PM
itīs very common here to do a babies ears pretty much as soon as born....

I rather have it that way.... more tolerance to pain... and they heal faster...

and in the case they donīt want earrings just take them off and theyīll close again...

Iīm happy with mine but I would be such a wuss getting them done now when your nervous system is more sensitive .... OUCH!!.... (IMO)

besides a baby earring is way too small so "they" donīt have to worry about them.... I mean I wore the same earrings till I was like 5 then another pair till like 18 and until now I can change my earrings according to what I wear

cassiesmom
03-03-2008, 12:27 PM
I can see both sides. My mom and my older sister don't have pierced ears, but my sister-in-law does. I had mine pierced at the jewelry store my freshman year of college, but that was 25 years ago. All three of my nieces have pierced ears. We have a family friend who is a nurse at a plastic surgeon's office- so that's where my brother's girls went when they were in grade school. My sister's daughter also had hers done sterilely, I think at a doctor's office also. She had hers done in eighth grade. They each were in charge of keeping their ears and the earrings clean till the piercings healed over, and they did a good job. They had them done younger because just about all the girls have pierced ears around here.

If you want to do it, I don't see what the issue is. Or if you want to wait and let her decide when she's a little older.

carole
03-03-2008, 01:39 PM
I personally would never pierce my babies ear, i will tell you why, one they have no choice in the matter,and yes they will forget the pain, but still she will feel it just the same, i never had mine done until i was 18 and my daughter when she was about ten, either way you feel the pain and forget it, so i don't really see the reasoning in what you are saying, however i do know that certain cultures do it at a young age, but to me that is slightly different, have you asked why you wish to really do it, because it looks pretty you think.

I just think everyone should have the right to make a choice when they are old enough to,as to whether they want piercings in their ears, of course she can always let them grow over the holes if she does not like them when she is older,but i just think you would be better waiting, also i can only imagine what a hassle it would be to take care of at such a young age, however it is of course your'e personal choice, she is your child, and you make the decisions for her. :)

kuhio98
03-03-2008, 01:56 PM
I don't really see anything wrong with it. But, it's not very painful. So, I wouldn't do it now for that reason (sparing her pain). Instead, I'd wait until she asked for it when she's older.

Instead of making all the decisions for kids, it's great for them to learn decision making skills. When she asks about it, you can tell her the decision is up to her. And that all you insist upon is that it be done by a qualified person and that you be there when it's done. Then, it could be a lovely memory of the 2 of you going together, getting it done and picking out earings.

carole
03-03-2008, 02:23 PM
with all due respect Lisa, i found it extremely painful, i guess i must have sensitive ears or something, they throbbed for hour's afterwards, i think my tolerance of pain is pretty ok too, after all i have had two children, so i think it just depends on how sensitive your ear's are maybe. :)

Kfamr
03-03-2008, 03:11 PM
I would personally wait until the child is old enough to decide of she wants them done or not. Then it would be a "gift" or "prize" when she's gotten good grades, behaved well, turned 13, 14, 15 etc.

I'm 20 and have never gotten my ears pierced and don't plan on it. I'm glad my parents never got it done when I was a baby.

Logan
03-03-2008, 03:30 PM
You asked for our opinion and mine is "No". Let her decide to do it when she wants to. Obviously you aren't going to have a problem if she is 4 or 14, since you're willing to do it now.

I think I had mine pierced at 13. I don't remember asking to have them done before that. I sort of held 13 as the age that I would allow Helen to have hers pierced, but ended up caving in when she was 6. But, it came in handy as a trade off with her. She continually got up during the night and got in the bed with me and did the same thing when she was visiting her dad and stepmother. He and I agreed that she could do it, but she had to go one whole month without leaving her own bed at night. And she did it! :) So she got her ears pierced. I have held firmly on no more piercings in the ears until she is over 18 and can decide for herself, then. I did allow her to have her belly button pierced this past November, though. I required her to pay for it herself. :p

critter crazy
03-03-2008, 03:41 PM
The thing that I dont like about getting ears pierced at a young age, is Allergy problems. I got my ears pierced at a young age, only to have a horrible allergy to Earings. Then for some reason they were pierced again when I was a little older, and the same thing happened. At the age of 30 now I have two holes in each ear, I can do nothing with. :rolleyes:

Pam
03-03-2008, 03:43 PM
Instead of making all the decisions for kids, it's great for them to learn decision making skills. When she asks about it, you can tell her the decision is up to her. And that all you insist upon is that it be done by a qualified person and that you be there when it's done. Then, it could be a lovely memory of the 2 of you going together, getting it done and picking out earings.

Totally agree with that! :)

binka_nugget
03-03-2008, 04:08 PM
Contrary to what most people think, you're actually better off going to a real piercing shop instead of getting someone to use a piercing "gun". If you can't autoclave it, it's not truly sterile. Piercing guns can't be put into the autoclave because they would melt. The earrings used in piercing guns are fairly blunt and cause more trama than a clean slice with a sterile needle. Also, the standard for good piercing shops is surgical stainless steel 316LVM. There's a less likely chance that your body will react to it like some people react to gold plated earrings. There's also the option of using Titanium, which is lighter and more readily accepted by the body.

I say this as someone who has had experiences with both piercing guns and needles, and was serious about becoming a professional piercer. I didn't mean to bash anyone. :)

Karen
03-03-2008, 04:34 PM
The thing that I dont like about getting ears pierced at a young age, is Allergy problems. I got my ears pierced at a young age, only to have a horrible allergy to Earings. Then for some reason they were pierced again when I was a little older, and the same thing happened. At the age of 30 now I have two holes in each ear, I can do nothing with. :rolleyes:

I doubt it had anything to do with your age. I never had mine pierced, as my grandmother had metal allergies and had big trouble with her ears when she tried to pierce them, and also I usually have my hair long and it covers my ears anyway. My grandmother was a teenager when she first tried earrings.

Anyway, if you want to try again, try using just 24 carat gold earring posts. There is a brand called Simply Whispers that you can get that just the posts are coated in 24-carat gold, and folks don't have allergic reactions to them. It is often the nickle in earring posts that cause people problems.

lizbud
03-03-2008, 04:45 PM
I would not have my babies ears pierced & would also wait till she was
older & decided on her own to ask for it, but that's me. :) I just think
that piercing a baby's ears is like "gilding the rose". They are already
gorgeous just the way they are. :)

Catlady711
03-04-2008, 07:41 PM
I guess I can see both sides of it as well.

I wanted my ears pierced when I was 12 but it took 2 years before I could get the courage to have it done.

However...

My mom does not want her ears pierced, and has very adamantly stated that had her parents done that to her when she was a baby she would have been angry for a VERY long time. She said it's not up to someone else to decide whether another person should have permanent holes in their body without having a choice in the matter.

As I said I can see it both ways.

critter crazy
03-04-2008, 08:12 PM
I doubt it had anything to do with your age. I never had mine pierced, as my grandmother had metal allergies and had big trouble with her ears when she tried to pierce them, and also I usually have my hair long and it covers my ears anyway. My grandmother was a teenager when she first tried earrings.

Anyway, if you want to try again, try using just 24 carat gold earring posts. There is a brand called Simply Whispers that you can get that just the posts are coated in 24-carat gold, and folks don't have allergic reactions to them. It is often the nickle in earring posts that cause people problems.

I dont mean the age was the issue, all I am saying is that had I had a choice I wouldnt have done it, and I definitely wouldnt have done it twice. Also, being done at a young age and not having a choice, I now have holes in my body, I dont like. Thats all I am saying.

I have tried 24k earings, as well as 18 k and 10 k and ect...nothing works. They just get infected, and swollen and bleed. I dont like it, and they have long since closed up anyways. but theya re still there, and annoy me realy.

I just think, when it comes to a permanent hole in ones body, it should be up to that person, not their parents.

carole
03-04-2008, 08:15 PM
I have to say i agree with you 100 per cent, however our parents make lots of choices in our lives for us whether we like it or not,i am sure if she is unhappy with them when she is older they will hear about it and LOUDLY lol. :)

slick
03-04-2008, 08:30 PM
I had my ears pierced for my 40th birthday....yes, I said 4-0 th birthday.

I was so petrified that I had my two nieces with me on either side holding my hands and I was sick to my stomach for days before. Both ears were done at the same time and when it was over I was so surprised that I felt no pain. Yes, I'm a little cluck-cluck, aren't I??? :o :o

Sevaede
03-05-2008, 11:06 AM
I am on the fence. Mine were done, for the first time, when I was six weeks old.

Oh, and the holes are not permanent. They do close. The amount of time it takes the holes to close is dependent upon how long you've had the given piercing. :)

Catsnclay
03-05-2008, 12:49 PM
She was so excited to see her earrings in that she practically was skipping when she left.

Well, unnoticed by Rachel, lurking outside the corner of the booth were three guys, all over 6 feet tall, and one turned to other - the one most obviously 'drunk for courage' and said "Man, now you GOTTA do it! That little girl just shamed you into it!" He had apparently been wanting to get an earring for so long that his friends said they were sick of him talking about it, and it was time to do it!

LOL - men can be such chickens sometimes!!! :rolleyes: ;)

I had my ears done when I was 13. My mother's friend took an ice cube, froze my lobe then took a large needle (crochet? or something like that) and pushed it through to a cork. Did both my ears that way - it was painless. It was not the most sterile way to do it, but I never got infections.

Years later I got another hole in my left ear by one of those guns. Then several years later I finally matched the right ear with a 2nd hole (gun again) I have never had an infection yet!

critter crazy
03-05-2008, 02:21 PM
I am on the fence. Mine were done, for the first time, when I was six weeks old.

Oh, and the holes are not permanent. They do close. The amount of time it takes the holes to close is dependent upon how long you've had the given piercing. :)

Well mine wont close permanently, cause they keep getting infected, even tho I havent had earings for many years. They were pierced for the forst time when I was a baby, then a second set of holes were put in when I was five. Even the doctors arent sure why they keep getting infected. But they do, and I have to live with it.

But even so, if the holes do close, you can still see them.

pitc9
03-06-2008, 04:24 PM
Karen that story is great!!! :D

I personally cringe when I see a baby with pierce ears. I think the child should make that decision on their own.

Shortly before making my first communion (age 8) my mom asked if I wanted to have my ears pierced. I said yes! :D

wolf_Q
03-06-2008, 04:32 PM
I think that it should be up to the child whether they want their ears pierced or not. Mine are pierced, twice, but I didn't make that decision until I was around 18. I just never wanted it done until then. It was a lot more painful than I expected, both times my earlobes swoll up huge and I had infections for months after. They still get sore and infected sometimes. I know that's not how it is for everyone, I'm just lucky I guess. :rolleyes:

chocolatepuppy
03-06-2008, 05:18 PM
But even so, if the holes do close, you can still see them.
I didn't have my ears pierced until I was 26, only to find out I can't wear earrings of any kind. Many times I attempted yet another try. The last time was 9 years ago. Although the holes are closed, you can still see them and it looks like I have pierced ears. People often ask me why I don't wear earrings since my ears are pierced. :rolleyes:
As for babies with pierced ears, I think they should be old enough to make that decision.

lizbud
03-06-2008, 06:15 PM
I was wondering if they charge full price when you only need one ear
re-pierced? :rolleyes:

Andie
03-07-2008, 09:42 PM
I think if it was my child I would wait. Let the child decide. (Just my opinion) I've already said (to Dustin) that if daughter wants her ears pierced I would try to have her wait until she's at least 8-10 so she can make the decision herself. If our son wants the same thing I would try to have him wait until he was at least 13. (Yes, I'm sexist)

I was 5 when I got my first set of holes. I asked Mom and had to work to get them. When I was 13 I got my second set (Mom paid for) and a cartilage piercing in my right ear (I had to pay for) for a school dance. Mom had been talking with me about the second set for a while before that. Mainly because she wanted a second set herself but she ended up chickening out. I got my third set on my 19th birthday. For the finale to my piercing fascination I got my navel done for my 25th birthday. (Now onto Tattoos - they take longer to plan out and save up for)

I've flip-floped on the pain issue. I remember the first ones hurting so bad that I wanted to go home and do the other ear later. My second ones and the cartilage didn't hurt at all. My third set though, :eek: . I thought my frickin' ears were going to fall off. The lady that pierced them told me that my lobes were to thick for a third set (Mom likes to tease me for having fat earlobes now) but I just had to have them. :rolleyes: Guess I learned my lesson.

IRescue452
03-07-2008, 11:40 PM
Forget the sense of choice. What about infections, which are much worse in infants? Cleaning and caring for earrings on a baby when you could just as well wait? What about baby laying on a blanket or learning to roll over on the carpet and getting the earring caught? I'd wait until after baby learns to walk at least. What about keloid issues and baby learning to tug on its ears to alleviate irritation? What about earring falling out and toddler swallowing it? There's a lot to consider. Honestly, piercing a child less than 5 years old is completely pointless in my mind. In my mind, you can choose vanity OR you can choose better care for your child, there's no "and".

JenBKR
03-08-2008, 08:38 AM
I got my ears pierced when I was about 3, after begging my mom. Unfortunately, neither of us realized how difficult it can be to take care of newly pierced ears. The skin ended up growing over the backs of my earrings, and it happened pretty quickly. I had to have the earrings surgically removed. My mom still feels guilty about it. I don't remember the pain of having my ears pierced, but I do remember the pain of having them removed. Personally, I probably wouldn't pierce my baby's ears, but since I have a boy I don't have to worry about it ;) If you do decide to have it done, just be extremely careful, make sure to turn them everyday, and follow any other instructions you are given.

Freedom
03-08-2008, 09:27 AM
It is also common in Italian families to do the baby's ears quite young.

My mom was British, however, and refused.

When I was to start school (age 6), I had to get all those shots. And one was the polio vaccine. I get keloids. This is common in people of Mediterranean cultures. Lucky I didn't have pierced ears, as I'd have 4, one on each side of each ear lobe! (I've attached a pic of what it looks like on an ear for someone who gets these.)

I drove my mum crazy as a 14 year old when many of my friends were getting pierced ears. I wanted them SO badly! Even though I understood I couldn't do it medically, I was a kid and still WANTED it! (My poor mum!) So it was a good thing mine weren't done as an infant, and we waited until we knew more about my body.

No one in my family on either side had EVER had keloids, it was a totally new thing to everyone. Not sure HOW I happen to develop them; although they are hereitary.

Twisterdog
03-09-2008, 11:57 PM
I personally think ear piercing is so very common that it really doesn't matter. It's not like you are piercing your baby's eyebrow or lip. I would guess that the majority of women get their ears pierced. I can't think of one woman that I personally know who does not have her ears pierced.

One of my employees just got her baby's ears pierced. She said it's nice because she was too young to play with or pull on them. I have to say, it does look adorable, IMO.

I let my son get one ear pierced when he was six years old. He begged and begged and did extra chores to help pay for it. Some of my friends were pretty appalled that I let him do that so young, and being a boy. My thoughts were, and still are ... pick your battles. Maybe if I would have adamantly refused he would have rebelled and pierced every body part he has with a needle by the time he was sixteen. Who knows. It just didn't seem important wnough to argue about. He wore earrings for many years, then just got tired of it. His hole is closed now. I'm sure if he changes his mind, he will have no problem getting it pierced again. And, you CANNOT see the hole, not a trace of it, we have looked.

I say do whatever you personally want to do. I don't think it's a big deal either way.

IRescue452
03-10-2008, 10:10 AM
I say do whatever you personally want to do. I don't think it's a big deal either way.

I think it is a bigger deal than you make it. Your son was past the stage where he spent 90% of the day on the floor, on a blanket, or wrapped up in a carseat. He was past the stages where getting the earring caught or getting an infection would be very easy to do. He was also past the stage where he would swallow little pieces if the earring fell out. The only reason people do this to babies is for looks. Parents should stop and consider whether they think vanity is so important that they can't wait a few more years, when clearly the best interest of the child is to wait.

jackie
03-10-2008, 12:06 PM
I think it is a bigger deal than you make it. Your son was past the stage where he spent 90% of the day on the floor, on a blanket, or wrapped up in a carseat. He was past the stages where getting the earring caught or getting an infection would be very easy to do. He was also past the stage where he would swallow little pieces if the earring fell out. The only reason people do this to babies is for looks. Parents should stop and consider whether they think vanity is so important that they can't wait a few more years, when clearly the best interest of the child is to wait.

Most babies here have their ears pierced. I haven't heard of one horror story. There are a lot of "what ifs" in life.

I personally don't think getting babies ears pierced is that outlandish.

Andie
03-10-2008, 02:11 PM

I can see your point but I don't think mina'smomma is ignoring the best interest of her child. I'm sure she has considered all the extra work the piercings will be for her. If she is truly considering this, I'm sure she has researched everything that could go wrong plus some. She's going to have to take extra precautions to avoid everything mentioned above. As in making sure the earring can't be snagged on the child's surrounding. Making sure they are cleaned, turned, tightened, ect. Women do alot of things for vanity, piercing their child's ears ranks somewhere near the bottom of harmful things. That's just my own opinion. Like Jackie said: There are alot of what ifs in the world.