PDA

View Full Version : Baseball '08!

RICHARD
03-02-2008, 08:14 PM
Well, it's time to get out and smell the horsehide!

Can we forget all the BS from the off season and start fresh?
The only thing that will save the season is a Cubs WS win... ;)

Play ball!

RICHARD
03-14-2008, 06:39 PM
What's going on?

The Dodgers are in China.
The LAD's split squad was coached my Tommy Lasorda.
Billy Crystal played for the Yankees
The games to look for this year are the Tampas against the New Yorks!

This should be an interesting season..... :eek: :eek:

RICHARD
03-25-2008, 10:05 PM
Major League Baseball at three a.m.! I love it.

Go Sox and Cubs.

Marigold2
03-26-2008, 07:03 AM
I live in the Cleveland area but am a Yankees fan. Go Yankees.

cassiesmom
03-31-2008, 05:48 PM
I'm a Chicago Cubs fan because I know:
*Bartman has nothing to do with the Simpsons
*When the ivy on the outfield wall was first planted (1937)
*The Curse of the Billy Goat
*What to do with an opponent's home run ball in the bleachers (Throw it back!)
*The outcome of the first night game played at Wrigley Field (It was rained out.)
*What the Eamus Catuli sign means (Latin, roughly: Go Cubs)
*The four Retired Cubs Players Numbers: 10 (Santo), 14 (Banks), 23 (Sandberg) and 26 (Williams).
*The meaning of Tinker to Evers to Chance (and Dunston to Sandberg to Grace).
*A Frosty Malt (or a lemon ice) tastes really good at a summer game.
*No one leads the seventh-inning stretch quite like Harry Caray did.
*The average number of days per year that it is great to be a Cubs fan (365).
*I bleed Cubby blue!
And finally: I know the Cubs are going to WIN THE WORLD SERIES!

Edited to add... ten innings ... Brewers, 4; Cubs, 3. Hey, it can't get worse then the W flag not flying.

And I hope to go to a Brewers' game with my best friends this summer. They lived in Wisconsin for 3 years but never got to attend a game at the new arena. Their former neighbors went and said it is a really nice arena. I hope we'll go this summer.

DJFyrewolf36
03-31-2008, 05:56 PM
GO OAKLAND! My hopes are high, as usual...and I have a feeling they will droop in the latter half of the season...as usual lol.
Yes I am still a San Fran fan too, I dont give a fig about astriks or records...I just care about good baseball. My fondest memories of childhood involve a big ball park hot dog, garlic fries and sharing the joy of the game with my mom and dad. Of course it was always better when the home team won ;)
I've seen games in Candlestick park and Oakland colluseum. Fun times indeed. :D

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
03-31-2008, 05:58 PM
Two words.

JJ HOTTTIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

*drools*

I'm going to the Brewer game on April 5th.
*happy dance*

Grace
03-31-2008, 06:13 PM
Opening Day for the Tigers - they lost :(

I have 2 favorites - Tigers and Red Sox. Only time I have problems is when they play each other - like a week from tomorrow.

Grace
03-31-2008, 06:15 PM
My favorite Tiger - Curtis Granderson

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/28/38062197_708595c9d8.jpg

Alysser
03-31-2008, 07:12 PM
Yankee fan since birth. :] My first Yankee game is this Saturday. Yankees Vs. Tampa Bay Rays. GO YANKS!!!!! :)

Grace
03-31-2008, 09:09 PM
Yankee fan since birth. :] My first Yankee game is this Saturday. Yankees Vs. Tampa Bay Rays. GO YANKS!!!!! :)

Growing up, I rooted for the Yankees. That was blasphemy living in Rhode Island, but I did like a winner. Those were the days of Berra, Ford, Mantle - the list goes on.

In 1962, one of my childhood dreams came true, when I was at Yankee Stadium for Game 5 of the World Series. Yankees beat the Giants 5-2, thanks to a 3 run homer by Tommy Tresh.

Have a wonderful time on Saturday!

RICHARD
04-02-2008, 09:45 PM
There is a wonderful bio/documentary on the Chicago Cubs that showed on HBO last year.....catch it if you can.

THE BILLY GOAT CURSE....I love that story!

----------

I really dislike the owner of the Dodgers.

Frank McCourt is a skeezy schemer. Late of the great state of Massachusetts he stand for all that is wrong with the game. He is the Al Davis of MLB.

Years ago the Dodgers, under the ownership of the O'malleys, had certain clubs that they would deal with exclusively. Cubs, Pirates are the two that come to mind......

I still never forgave the Dodgers for trading Ron Cey to Chi-town. They literally had hundreds of third basemen play until he showed up.

Anyway, heartbreak be damned!

Now it seems that McCourt, To be know from here on as McCourt-nald's - for his desire to turn the team into a Sports-Disneyland-Fast Food Empire..

He came into El Lay with out having the money to buy the team outright, he had to borrow money, then he began to steal ideas an players from his hometown club, the Bosox.

Coach, players and I think it's called the Jimmy Fund?

FM got the L.A. Coliseum to revamp the field to host a charity game against the Red Sox...115,000 people attended, some waited two hours to catch the shuttles to get to the game from Dodger Stadium....Oh, the new charity?

THINK CURE! a rip off of the "Think Blue" promotions of years past- the LADs would promote prizes, honorary positions at a game, Ball girl/boy, field keeper,
first pitch tosser, National Anthem singer....

---------------

To sit field level the seats are now 250 dollars. :eek:
Parking was 5 bucks a car, 7 for buses once upon a time....Now? 15 dollars at press time...
A dodger dog-foot long wienie, grilled not boiled, like those limp wienies back east ;) .....5.25.. peanuts are 5 bucks a bag, Beer? You want a beer?

TWELVE DOLLARS!

Thirty two dollars and change to park, eat a dog and beer-that's not including the price of a ticket.

A piece in the paper gave a list of the foods available in the suites that corporations buy. The food you order for the quests is sold by the platter and the prices were nine dollars and up, per person with a minimum of six servings for each dish.

For the 32.25 I can, Order a pizza, buy a twelve pack of beer, eat peanuts and get the cat a few bags of Temptation treats - and my seat is free as I watch most of the games on cable.

The stadium was renovated in the off season. That will jack up the prices, again!

-----------------
I love the game but not enough to sell an arm to go! :(

RICHARD
04-06-2008, 11:30 PM
Middle School Student Gets Attacked by Hawk at Fenway
Posted Apr 3rd 2008 10:00PM by PostmanR
Filed under: Boston, Red Sox, AL East

The Red Sox have yet to play a game inside Fenway Park this season -- that comes in their home opener against Detroit on Tuesday-- but that doesn't mean there's not already some action inside its pearly gates. Oh no, friends. You see, some middle schoolers were taking a nice little tour of the park when OHMYGOD LOOK OUT FOR THAT HAWK LITTLE GIRL!

A student touring Fenway Park was attacked by a resident red-tailed hawk that drew blood from a girl's scalp Thursday.

[ ... ]

The hawk was perched on a railing in the upper deck behind home plate while the group from Memorial Boulevard Middle School in Bristol, Conn., toured the stadium. The hawk flew at the girl and swooper with its talons extended, scratching her scalp.

Wildlife officials took out the nest along with an egg that was perched up near the press booth, so hopefully the threat of hawk attacks have been severely decreased inside Fenway. I suppose this hawk may have just been protecting its kin. Or maybe it was a serial killer hawk. Or a drunk hawk.

Or maybe it was just hawky being hawky.

Incredible, ominous update: Thanks to commenter pitchcount who altered us to the Boston Globe story on this. Turns out the young girl's name was Alexa Rodriguez. (!!!) Makes total sense now.

davidpizzica
04-07-2008, 05:06 PM
Right now it's 8-8 in the top of the 12th inning in the Pirates home opener against the Cubs. I SO want Pittsburgh to win this game!

Jessika
04-07-2008, 05:29 PM
StL Cards, anyone?????

C'mon I know I'm not the only one. And so far... they are on FIIIREEEE

Watch out... they'll make it to the series again... hehe

CountryWolf07
04-07-2008, 10:39 PM
I'm rooting for Cleveland Indians, sorry. :)

cassiesmom
04-07-2008, 10:47 PM
Right now it's 8-8 in the top of the 12th inning in the Pirates home opener against the Cubs. I SO want Pittsburgh to win this game!
sorry... I mean, I'm glad for the Cubs, but I always want to see the home team win their home opener.

Grace
04-08-2008, 06:23 PM
That Ring Ceremony was fantastic!! Love that the Celtics, Pats and Bruins were part of it - just like in 2005. My favorites - Bill Russell and #4, Bobby Orr.

And Buckner throwing out the first pitch http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2008/04/08/1207685165_7440.jpg

Alysser
04-08-2008, 08:05 PM
Well of course when I go to the game the Yanks lost. :rolleyes: They won the next day and lost today. This might not be the best season for them. :p

RICHARD
04-09-2008, 02:00 PM
What was on Peavy's hands?

CHEATER, CHEATER!!!!!

--------

CM,
365 days a year to be a CUBS fan? What happens on Feb 29?

-------

I haven't checked the standings yet......With batting averages hovering at .600, it just don't make sense! :p :cool:

RICHARD
04-11-2008, 09:42 PM
Hey, what was with the airshow over Fenway on opening day?

THAT was cool, too bad the pilot got grounded.

"Maverick, The pattern is full!"

----------

Great story about the Yanks new stadium. Apparently a construction worker
buried a Bosox shirt under a concrete pillar near the home dressing room, along with a curse.

:eek:

Grace
04-11-2008, 10:12 PM
Hey, what was with the airshow over Fenway on opening day?

THAT was cool, too bad the pilot got grounded.

"Maverick, The pattern is full!"

----------

Great story about the Yanks new stadium. Apparently a construction worker
buried a Bosox shirt under a concrete pillar near the home dressing room, along with a curse.

:eek:

Apparently the pilot was late, so flew too fast. That maneuver is supposed to be done at 5000 feet, not 1200.

As for that shirt - why didn't they bury it under the Yankees club house instead of the visitors?

RICHARD
04-11-2008, 11:34 PM
I wasn't clear-

The word is that the construction worker is a Bosox fan and the curse is on the Yankees never to win another series again. :eek:

------

1200 feet?

I wish I could have been there.

Grace
04-13-2008, 03:51 PM
So much for the curse . . . . .

The New York Yankees have ended a construction worker's attempt to jinx their new stadium with a buried Boston Red Sox jersey.

Team officials watched Sunday as construction workers removed the jersey, with slugger David Ortiz's name on it, from 2 feet of concrete in a service corridor of the stadium that's under construction.

The team says a construction worker — who is a Red Sox fan — recently buried the jersey there while on the job. Two other supervisors found the tattered shirt Saturday.

The Yankees plan to donate the jersey to charity, and may pursue a lawsuit against the construction worker.

RICHARD
04-13-2008, 04:48 PM
That just goes to show the name STEINBRENNER isn't attached to any normal human.

What was the cost of removing a piece of cloth from under 2 feet of concrete?

----------------

They could find David Ortiz under the new Yankee Stadium....

Now go find Jimmy Hoffa! :rolleyes:

-----------

That was a fun story wrecked by a superstitious jerk with no sense of humor.

RICHARD
04-15-2008, 02:09 AM
50K to dig out the jersey -

That's what they get for using union people.

THey could have gone to the Home Depot and picked up some day laborers that would have charged the Yanks 10 bucks an hour.....

With a few hot dogs and sodas tossed in.

----------------------

NO penalties for steriod usage...but we are going to see about suing this guy for burying a fricking shirt on the property?

50,000 dollars for tearing a hole in your new stadium.
Having paraniod thoughts about curses, black magic and jinxes?
Priceless.

---------------------

Someone made the comment about the Ortiz jersey not even being needed.
The club hasn't won a World Series in how long? :eek:

Grace
04-15-2008, 02:59 PM
That just goes to show the name STEINBRENNER isn't attached to any normal human.

What was the cost of removing a piece of cloth from under 2 feet of concrete?

----------------

They could find David Ortiz under the new Yankee Stadium....

Now go find Jimmy Hoffa! :rolleyes:

-----------

That was a fun story wrecked by a superstitious jerk with no sense of humor.

The Yankees would have been better served to leave the shirt where it was planted. Ortiz had 2 hits last night; previously he had only 3 in 40+ times at bat.

Grace
04-16-2008, 10:08 PM
Is it possible - the Yankees have a heart?

From the Boston Globe -

It was meant to be a curse on the New York Yankees, but it may turn out to be a blessing for people with cancer.

The Red Sox jersey that caused a big splash in the media when a construction worker revealed he had placed it in the concrete under the new Yankee Stadium will be unveiled tomorrow for the first time in Boston at the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute.

The Yankees donated the tattered David Ortiz jersey to the Jimmy Fund, which raises funds for cancer care and research at Dana-Farber. The fund plans to auction off the jersey, which was jackhammered out of the concrete Sunday by the Yankees, said Bill Schaller, a Dana-Farber spokesman.

It's not the first time Yankees owner George Steinbrenner and his family have donated to the fund.

"As much as they’re the evil empire (for Boston sports fans), they’ve been quite generous to the Jimmy Fund," said Schaller.

RICHARD
04-17-2008, 02:26 AM
One heart for all the people in the organization?

Hmmm.... :cool:

---------------

Actually,

If the Pope was going to do a mass at Yankee Staduim they should have hustled him over to bless the new stadium, that would have taken care of the curse and they would have saved 50k....

Just a thought.! ;)

Grace
04-24-2008, 05:36 PM
From the Boston Globe -

It's not much of a shirt, it's true. It's torn. It's dirty. Being buried in the concrete under a stadium construction project and then being drilled out by jackhammers will do that to you.

But the David Ortiz jersey that a construction worker buried under the site of the new Yankee Stadium is a quirky piece of baseball history -- and it sold this afternoon for $175,100 on eBay.

The bid from Kevin Meehan, the owner of Imperialcars.com in Mendon, was the highest of 282 for the battered No. 34 David Ortiz jersey.

"I actually thought it was going to sell for more money," said Meehan, who bid only in the final moments of the weeklong eBay auction that ended at 12:30 p.m. "I have three young boys that I take to the games and they would have killed me if I didn't buy the shirt."

The Yankees, despite being the targets of the would-be curse, donated the jersey to the Red Sox' official charity, the Jimmy Fund, which auctioned it off to raise funds for cancer care and research at the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute.

Mike Andrews, The Jimmy Fund chairman and former Red Sox second baseman, said the charity was "absolutely thrilled."

"We are grateful for the generous bid, and extend our deep gratitude to the New York Yankees and the Boston Red Sox for coming together again in the fight against cancer," he said in a statement.

Meehan said he was eager to give to the Jimmy Fund because his father died of cancer and his stepfather has the disease.

"It's personal," he said. "It's a lot deeper than just the shirt."

Meehan plans to eventually display the jersey from his favorite Red Sox player in one of his car dealerships. He said he has no intention of selling it.

"It was just a win-win all the way around," said Meehan, who also will receive a new Ortiz jersey, a Yankees T-shirt and two tickets to a Red Sox game where he will be presented with the unusual piece of sports memorabilia.

Construction worker Gino Castignoli, a Red Sox fan from the Bronx, dropped the jersey into two feet of wet concrete during construction of the new stadium, hoping to hex the Yankees. The team found the jersey after receiving information from anonymous tipsters and had it jackhammered out.

RICHARD
04-30-2008, 12:48 AM
Dodgers were in last place and the McCourts announced that Dodger Stadium will have a 500 zillion dollar facelift and parking structures in the parking lots.

In-freaking-credible.

The plans look like a Las Vegas hotel.

There will be a Dodger Museum, a Dodger store, a Dodger theme park, a Dodger hair salon, Tanning salon, Dodger brothel, too! The last is for the Dodger fans who almost cannot afford to go to a game. :rolleyes:

RICHARD
05-06-2008, 11:52 AM
OUch!
I was just checking out the news when I saw a story about a Yanks fan who ran over some guy after an arguement about baseball.

The guy that was killed was a BOSOX fan, talk about rivalries!:eek:

smokey the elder
05-06-2008, 03:14 PM
Um, and the Yankees fan in question was trash talking...in Boston!:eek: Come ON people, it's only a game.

Grace
05-06-2008, 05:42 PM
Um, and the Yankees fan in question was trash talking...in Boston!:eek: Come ON people, it's only a game.

For the record - it was in Nashua, New Hampshire. - and the Yankee fan is a 43 year old woman.

RICHARD
05-15-2008, 04:59 PM
ESPN just did a piece on a pitcher from the Nippon Ham Fighters.

His name is Yu Darvish - He's part Iranian and Japanese. He's supposed to be the next Tom Seaver when, and if, he comes to play ball in the states!

He looked really good.

--------------

I just heard that the two teams with the lowest payrolls are leading their divisions.....I love it!

One is the TB Rays, I love to see teams make the most of a roster with a few bucks and desire!

Lady's Human
05-19-2008, 11:41 PM
A Boston Red Sox pitcher threw a no hitter tonight.

It's a special game, because he's a recent cancer survivor..

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/gameflash/2008/05/19/20810_recap.html?cnn=yes

Karen
05-20-2008, 12:27 AM
A Boston Red Sox pitcher threw a no hitter tonight.

It's a special game, because he's a recent cancer survivor..

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/gameflash/2008/05/19/20810_recap.html?cnn=yes

I'm going to sound like a real Bostonian now ...

Wicked cool, huh?

And it couldn'ta happened to a nicer guy!

RICHARD
05-20-2008, 05:53 PM
24?

I am fricking jealous!:eek:

I read the story this morning! That's pretty inspirational.
===========

BTW,

I heard the story of the family that is suing an aluminium bat manufacturer for an accident where a young kid-Little League- was hit in the chest with a ball he pitched. The impact stopped his heart and caused him to have some brain damage.

Like I feel for the kid, but isn't that taking things too far? Yeah, metal bats make the ball go farther and faster, but what is the outcome? A pitcher dressed in a catcher's get up to play?

RICHARD
06-01-2008, 10:09 AM
Why I love baseball?

THe ovation that Manny Ramirez got from the Baltimore fans on his 500th homerun!

Why I hate baseball?

The Dodger's Todd Helton had a bat that splintered, went into the stands and hit a woman in the face. Broke it in two places, screws, surgery and wiring it shut cost 7k.

The insurance carrier ain't gonna help her because of the small writing on the back of the ticket. The Dodger spokeman said TFB, get better.

Here you have a MEGA company that cannot even use this incident as a "Good Will" story, Imagine the spin a team could get on a story where they go to the aid of a fan-even if they didn't advertise it with a press release!

I hate Frank McCourt.

-------

The woman hit by the bat has hired a lawyer and he stated that the costs for her care will go past 50,000 dollars. He's not filing a lawsuit, yet....

The fan that caught MR's 500th homerun gave it back to MR and asked for nothing in return!

RICHARD
06-27-2008, 08:13 AM
Did anyone see the 93 year old woman who got to throw out the first pitch at the Cubs game?

God bless her, she was fricking neat. She showed up on the air wearing her jersey!

----------------

Maple bats.......Fans get smacked with them, nothing happens....they only become a problem when an ump gets his head chunked by a piece from a broken stick......

Who cares about the paying customers?:rolleyes:

--------------

Grievance resolution?

Attack management! If you are the player who got canned for choking out the boss, does that go on you baseball card as a stat?:eek::mad:

Grace
06-27-2008, 06:33 PM
Did any of you read about the Boone family?

How cool is this -

A major league milestone became a family affair for Aaron Boone on Wednesday.

The Washington Nationals first baseman earned his 1,000th hit against the Los Angeles Angels, becoming the fourth member of his famous family to achieve the feat.

Boone, 35, reached the mark with an infield single in the bottom of the eighth during Washington's 5-4 win.

His grandfather Ray (1,260), father Bob (1,838) and brother Bret (1,775) all have enjoyed the same achievement.

Boone, a veteran of 12 seasons with the Cincinnati Reds, New York Yankees, Cleveland Indians, Florida Marlins and Washington, becomes the 1,171st player in major league history to reach the 1,000 plateau.

In 1,101 career games played, Boone has hit .265 with 125 home runs and 543 RBIs.

RICHARD
06-29-2008, 02:14 PM
Did any of you read about the Boone family?

How cool is this -

I still remember BOB Boone playing, that's incredible.

-----------

The Dodger's won last night without getting a hit in the game. :rolleyes:

Grace
06-29-2008, 05:12 PM
I still remember BOB Boone playing, that's incredible.

And I remember Ray Boone playing http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/March16th/knit.gif

RICHARD
06-29-2008, 06:24 PM
And I remember Ray Boone playing http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/March16th/knit.gif

Glad you didn't say DANIEL BOONE!:eek:

Grace
06-29-2008, 06:32 PM
Glad you didn't say DANIEL BOONE!:eek:

Nah - but I do remember the TV show about Daniel Boone with Fess Parker as Daniel.

RICHARD
06-29-2008, 09:26 PM
Nah - but I do remember the TV show about Daniel Boone with Fess Parker as Daniel.

Killed a bar when he was three!:)

-------------

Go Cubs Go!!!:cool:

Grace
07-01-2008, 11:39 AM
While still on the subject of Daniel Boone - he once said . . . . .

All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife.

RICHARD
07-05-2008, 12:38 AM
Check out the Marlins/Rockies box score for the game last night..
The highlights were amazing....I love it!!!! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

RICHARD
07-05-2008, 05:51 PM
WOW, Great ending for the Cardinals!

Ankiel gets a 2 rbi walk off single and an HR!

YEA, BASEBALL!!!!!

RICHARD
07-08-2008, 02:10 AM
No, I have nothing to do with A-Rod or his wife!

----------------

Baseball is very interesting in the last few days!:)

RICHARD
07-10-2008, 10:53 PM
ESPN did a special, sponsored by Holiday Inn about all the greatest baseball records....It was spectacular.

:D

Grace
07-12-2008, 06:18 PM
Bobby Murcer died today, at age 62. He died from complications of a brain tumor (Glioblastoma Multiforme grade 4), diagnosed at Christmas time in 2006.

He spent 17 years as a Major League player, most of those with the Yankees. Then he spent 24 years in the Yankees broadcast booth.

Grace
07-12-2008, 10:10 PM
Tim Wakefield, pitcher for the Red Sox - he'll turn 42 in three weeks. Tonight against the Orioles, over 7 innings he threw 98 pitches - 72 of them strikes!!

Not too shabby http://bestsmileys.com/sports2/23.gif

RICHARD
07-14-2008, 09:35 PM
Wow.
Something about being productive at 40, eh?

----------

Why does Chris Berman sound better with the sound turned off?

RICHARD
07-15-2008, 08:51 PM
I love Ichiro. That dude has a cannon.

-----------

Is Lance Armstrong lame? She could poke me with her broken guitar strings, anyday!

---------

Is there nothing better than a jet flying over a sports event?

---------

Oh OH!!!!!

If you like baseball you have to see PERFECT GAME!

It's the true story of a the first non-American team to win the Little League World Series. A bunch of kids from Monterey, Mexico get together and go all the way. IT's a very good story with some heart behind it.

Grace
07-15-2008, 10:12 PM
Did you see the World Series Perfect Game - Game 5, 8 October 1956?

I did - not in person, but on TV. I can still remember Yogi jumping on Larsen.

RICHARD
07-15-2008, 11:14 PM
Did you see the World Series Perfect Game - Game 5, 8 October 1956?

I did - not in person, but on TV. I can still remember Yogi jumping on Larsen.

I missed THAT one....

Dodger Stadium is up the street....I was a ball rat when I was younger.:eek:

RICHARD
07-16-2008, 08:19 PM
The guy that sang God Bless America last night was incredible. I don't pay too much attention to any of the 'new' talent, singers or bands- but he was abso-fricking-lutely great.

He does have talent.:)

-----------------

It's 1:30 a.m. EST, do you know where your all-stars are?:D

Grace
07-16-2008, 08:34 PM
The guy that sang God Bless America last night was incredible. I don't pay too much attention to any of the 'new' talent, singers or bands- but he was abso-fricking-lutely great.

He does have talent.:)

-----------------

It's 1:30 a.m. EST, do you know where your all-stars are?:D

That was Josh Groban. He's not really that new. He sang at the Closing Ceremonies of the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City. He's been nominated for, and won more than a few music awards over the past several years.

Go to You Tube, and search for him - you can listen to your heart's content.

At the Concert For Diana, from 2007 -
http://z.about.com/d/top40/1/0/8/W/joshgroban.jpg

RICHARD
07-16-2008, 10:13 PM
That was Josh Groban. He's not really that new. He sang at the Closing Ceremonies of the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City. He's been nominated for, and won more than a few music awards over the past several years.

Thanks,
He had a great voice. I had heard of him, but never heard from him.

RICHARD
07-31-2008, 04:21 PM
:rolleyes:LOL,

The McCourts do it again.....

Manny fricking Ramirez is a Dodger. What did I tell you before? Frank MC will only deal with the Bosox.....Look at all the Sox who came over with whathisname, Little, when he came out west.

After the Andruw Jones debacle this better work out for the 'boys in blue'.:o

RICHARD
09-19-2008, 10:22 PM
Baseball 'invented in Britain'

Baseball, America's treasured national sport, was first played in Britain, according to new evidence.

Local historians in Surrey have confirmed that baseball was played in the UK more than 20 years before American independence.

A diary that documents a game being played in Guildford in 1755 has been verified by Surrey History Centre.

William Bray, a Surrey diarist and historian from Shere, wrote about the game when he was still a teenager.

Julian Pooley, Surrey History Centre manager and William Bray expert, said the diary showed the game was a well-established sport in the 18th Century and was played by men and women.

Mr Pooley said: "He kept lots and lots of diaries that we have in the Surrey History Centre but last year a new one was discovered in a garden shed and it contains his diary from 1754 to 1755.

"It contains a reference to him playing baseball. What intrigued me is he is playing it with a load of young ladies."

The diary states they had tea after the game on Easter Monday and also played cricket.

Kevin Sullivan, the Washington Post's London correspondent and an avid Boston Red Sox fan, said: "It's a great American tradition to take things from other places and improve them. We've always known that baseball evolved - it wasn't invented like basketball.".

------------

Next the Brits will claim they invented fish and chips, the Beatles and the United States!;)

"It contains a reference to him playing baseball. What intrigued me is he is playing it with a load of young ladies."

AHA!, they did invent the phrase, "You throw like a girl!"

Karen
09-19-2008, 10:29 PM
I heard that story, but what boggles the mind is how ladies could have played baseball in corsets and hoop skirts! Makes me think it was a far different game back then.

Sure is an interesting late season for the AL East. Were it not for the wildcard being instituted, I'd be betting the Red Sox would repeat the pattern of so many of my childhood years and battle and battle all the way to .... second place. Back then (do I sound old yet?) that meant no playoff opportunities. Should be a fascinating next month or so ...

Grace
09-19-2008, 10:43 PM
Did any of you see the latest issue of Sports Illustrated? The cover story is about Yankee Stadium - written from the perspective of the stadium. I have to admit I had several episodes of LES while reading it.

I have two very favorite memories of Yankee Stadium - one in person, one from TV.

On October 8, 1956, Don Larsen pitched the only perfect game in World Series history. I remember watching the end of it on TV. Will never forget Yogi jumping into Larsen's arms after the last out.

Then on October 10, 1962, I was in Yankee Stadium to see the Yankees win game 5 of that World Series against the San Francisco Giants. Tommy Tresh hit a 3-run homer, and the Yankees won 5-3.

I love baseball.

RICHARD
09-20-2008, 03:07 AM
I have to admit I had several episodes of LES while reading it.

I love baseball.

I hope that you respect the rules.

Rule 1000, Section 1a

There is no crying in baseball.;)

Grace
09-20-2008, 10:17 AM
I hope that you respect the rules.

Rule 1000, Section 1a

There is no crying in baseball.;)

I beg to differ with you. There is crying, tears of joy, in baseball. Especially on a Wednesday night at the end of October, with a full moon, and your team has just won the World Series for the first time in 86 years.

RICHARD
09-20-2008, 11:38 AM
I beg to differ with you. There is crying, tears of joy, in baseball. Especially on a Wednesday night at the end of October, with a full moon, and your team has just won the World Series for the first time in 86 years.

Bah, A Purist!
;)

I know I will watch tomorrow's game from NY...:)

RICHARD
09-22-2008, 02:44 PM
Loved the game.

Tidbits on the last game in NY.

People were searched for tools before they entered the stadium.
LOL, I thought about that. I would have had a screwdriver and pliers in my pocket.

People were allowed onto the warning track before the game, But were not allowed to take dirt or grass from the field......

I did see the players take dirt off of the mound. That was funny. Of course, the Yankees memorabilia will go on sale, on the internet, for huge bucks. Those seats with the Yankee logo would be fun to have in my house.

(THis coming from a long time Yankee hater-I'll never forget '77 and '78!)

I loved the shot of Reggie sitting next to Val Kilmer and everyone ignoring Kilmer.

(this coming from a long time Reggie hater-I'll never forget you stepping into that ball Russell threw to Garvey and Garvey whining like a girl!)

How come there was no video of the Dodgers winning the 81 series at Yankee stadium?

(This coming from a long time Yankee hater!)

And why did Arizona have to win the 01 series? I wanted NY to win so badly.:(

(This coming from a long time sports fan!)

Grace
09-22-2008, 06:11 PM
I loved the old farts - Berra, Skowron, Whitey Ford, Mrs. Phil Rizzuto; the Mantle and Maris and Munson 'kids', the Murcer family; Don Larsen - wonderful!!

Did you watch any of the game? Yogi and Whitey were in the broadcast booth for awhile. Whitey tells how, during Larsen's perfect game, he had to warm up in the bullpen starting about the 6th inning. Coach told him - 'You know Don gets tired early sometimes.'

RICHARD
09-22-2008, 08:03 PM
Did you watch any of the game?

I watched parts of it. The camera work was really crappy. Those lenses got misty a few times.;)

RICHARD
09-29-2008, 10:08 AM
Hold on to your hats.......

It's time for PLAYOFF BASEBALL!

Hearts will be broken,
Dreams realized.
Catches made.
Outs recorded!

I miss the days when a pitcher twirled a game.

Game sevens will be forced!
Records set.
Gooses will get bumped and in the end there is a botle of champagne
siting on a shelf somewhere. Waiting. Half of it will be spilled, absorbed into sweaty shirts, dirty pants and someone's hair.

And one kid, far away too young from being able to even look at any alcoholic beverage, will be waiting for their turn one day!

I love baseball!

Go Cubs!

Jessika
09-29-2008, 04:43 PM
I'm so disappointed in the Cardinals. :(

It's all my fault, too. I should have never gone to see them play; since that night they've done nothing but suck! LOL

RICHARD
09-29-2008, 05:04 PM
I'm so disappointed in the Cardinals. :(

It's all my fault, too. I should have never gone to see them play; since that night they've done nothing but suck! LOL

If THAT'S the case!

I should have splurged for a DODGERS game!;)

On these occasions that is what NEXT YEAR is for!

RICHARD
10-05-2008, 01:04 PM
Ugh, Stupid CUBS.

Did anyone stay up to see the Idiot-ah Mayor of Lost Angeles in the stands?

With the extra cameras on hand there was no way that he would miss that opportunity.

GO Red Sox.......:D

Pam
10-05-2008, 03:07 PM
GO PHILLIES!!!!!!!
http://bestsmileys.com/clapping/4.gifhttp://bestsmileys.com/clapping/4.gifhttp://bestsmileys.com/clapping/4.gif

RICHARD
10-06-2008, 06:28 PM
GO PHILLIES!!!!!!!
http://bestsmileys.com/clapping/4.gifhttp://bestsmileys.com/clapping/4.gifhttp://bestsmileys.com/clapping/4.gif

go dodgers? :rolleyes:

The one thing I love about baseball?

I love to see guys run for home plate from second base..

That is poetry!

It's the stride and the touch of third base and the loooooooong steps during that sprint they make to score.

They run like horses. Swift strides-like they are being chased by a boogie man.

The other kick I get is watching a runner go towards first base, then take a few steps to their right, curve around the bag and run to 2nd.

Dang. That's great.

Grace
10-06-2008, 10:41 PM
Singing Dirty Water as the Sox just won the Wild Card game!!

On to Tampa Bay . . . . .

http://www.jethawks.com/images/news/CircleSoxLogo2in.jpg

RICHARD
10-09-2008, 07:19 PM
Here we go...

Go baseball.

---------------

Does Tim McCarver look sick?:eek::(

Grace
10-11-2008, 08:29 AM
Boston is 23-4 in tournament play since they lost to the Yankees 19-8 in the 2004 ALCS.

Last night they beat Tampa Bay 2 - 0. Dice-K had a no hitter until the 7th.

GO SOX!!!

RICHARD
10-11-2008, 09:59 AM
Well pitched game last night.

The Dodgers suck.

------

And that kooky Jose Canseco!:rolleyes:

Grace
10-11-2008, 10:42 AM
And speaking of pitchers - how about Brett Myers of the Phillies?

He has more hits in the playoffs than Ryan Howard.

Pam
10-12-2008, 06:39 AM
The Dodgers suck.

------

They are just no match for *our Phils!*
http://iconwild.com/smilies/sports/sports-smiley-019.gif

RICHARD
10-12-2008, 07:05 AM
They are just no match for *our Phils!*
http://iconwild.com/smilies/sports/sports-smiley-019.gif

Seriously,

How long did it take you to find my quote?;):D

I was in pig heaven,

Football, baseball, hockey, racing and MMA ti finish it off last night~

DJFyrewolf36
10-12-2008, 09:24 AM
The Dodgers suck.

I'll be the second to quote this...:p:D

Grace
10-12-2008, 09:52 AM
I headed to bed after the 9th inning. I'm not surprised Tampa Bay won; I'm glad Boston got out of town with a split. I think this series could go long.

I'm hoping for a sweep by Philadelphia http://bestsmileys.com/sports3/1.gif

RICHARD
10-12-2008, 09:56 AM
lololol,
If you notce the cartoon that Grace posted it's the guys in the red hats that are out!;)

Was THAT a game last night!

it was really good!:)

Altho I was wondering about the right coasters and what they were doing last nght!:eek:

Grace
10-12-2008, 10:01 AM
lololol,
If you notce the cartoon that Grace posted it's the guys in the red hats that are out!;)

Was THAT a game last night!

it was really good!:)

Altho I was wondering about the right coasters and what they were doing last nght!:eek:

Hmmm - I was thinking that the guy in the red cap successfully stole a base?

RICHARD
10-14-2008, 02:08 PM
http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/funny-pictures-cat-eats-baseball-players.jpg

Dogd-r dawg?

NO, Dodg Der KAT!!!

-----------

Dodger Stadium sells a grilled weinie thats HUGE.
It's a Farmer John Hot Dog that's a foot long and sticks out from both ends of the bun. One year they went to a boiled hot dog only and the fans revolted and demanded they bring back the grilled ones.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodger_Dog
;)

Pam
10-14-2008, 03:10 PM
I'm hoping for a sweep by Philadelphia http://bestsmileys.com/sports3/1.gif

You are not alone in that hope! The city of Philadelphia (10 miles from me) is in a frenzy! *Ya gotta believe!!*

RICHARD
10-14-2008, 03:18 PM
You are not alone in that hope! The city of Philadelphia (10 miles from me) is in a frenzy! *Ya gotta believe!!*

Hokay,

Then I'll just delete my thread and go home!
;):rolleyes::D

pomtzu
10-14-2008, 04:18 PM
I refuse to get enthuiastic over the Phillies. Every time I do - they blow it!!! :( I won't even watch the playoff games for fear I'll jinx them!!! But I do peek at the score every so often during the game. :D

RICHARD
10-14-2008, 04:24 PM
I refuse to get enthuiastic over the Phillies. Every time I do - they blow it!!! :( I won't even watch the playoff games for fear I'll jinx them!!! But I do peek at the score every so often during the game. :D

That's a bb fan!

Good Luck to you all!

Pam
10-15-2008, 10:40 PM
WE ARE ON OUR WAY TO THE WORLD SERIES!!! :cool::cool::cool::cool:

RICHARD
10-15-2008, 11:12 PM
WE ARE ON OUR WAY TO THE WORLD SERIES!!! :cool::cool::cool::cool:

Congratulations!

bite me! Not sore, just a loser.:eek::(:D

Pam
10-16-2008, 06:28 AM
Congratulations!

Thank you Richard. :) I have to admit that I was a little nervous every time Manny Ramirez was up at bat. :)

pomtzu
10-16-2008, 07:59 AM
I just knew if I didn't watch any of the games that they would win. I didn't even peek at the score during the game last night - just didn't want to take any chance at all of jinxing them.!!

GO PHILLIES!!!

RICHARD
10-16-2008, 03:34 PM
Pam,

You are welcome...

Pom,
Rub it in!;)

I didn't watch the game, I was flipping back and forth between that the debate and the infomercial of the Ab Rocket......kidding!

Manny is gone. The look on his face during the post game was indicitive that he was really disappointed about losing, and he said he'll look at the options.

-------

Thinking that one could love a player with the name of FUR-cal was possible?

His play was a travesty.:eek:

-------
Did anyone know that the Rays have the lowest total payroll of the last four teams in the playoffs?

25 million!

Grace
10-16-2008, 03:58 PM
Manny is gone. The look on his face during the post game was indicitive that he was really disappointed about losing, and he said he'll look at the options.

Meaning his agent will be looking for the http://bestsmileys.com/money/2.gif

RICHARD
10-16-2008, 04:13 PM
Meaning his agent will be looking for the http://bestsmileys.com/money/2.gif

Scott Boras is an major league arse. He is one of the worst agents in history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Boras

I can see guys wanting bucks to play, but there is a limit and I do see the markets getting tougher for athletes that deserve the hard earned money the worked for.

Of course, you have idiots like Terrel Owen, Pacman and Ray Lewis in football.

JOSH HAMILTON? What a story.The kids that get sick and come back to play?
All the wonderful stories that get obscured by the A-rod/Madonna tripe.

Seriously, The only people left on the planet that haven't seen Madonna naked are my cat, me and Guy Ritchie. LOL, There's a free agent that I hope gets a TON OF MONEY in the divorce.

Grace
10-16-2008, 04:29 PM
I found it interesting that A-Rod eventually worked out his own deal with the Yankees after Boras jerked both team and player around last year.

Another incident involving him - Pudge Rodgriguez worked out his own deal in the trade from Detroit to NY earlier this year. The team had to call Boras and he tried to make waves - Pudge took the phone and told him to butt out.

Richard, I love how you meandered from Manny to Madonna!!

RICHARD
10-16-2008, 04:52 PM
Richard, I love how you meandered from Manny to Madonna!!

Give me enough space and I'll hang myself.

Pam
10-16-2008, 04:59 PM
Thinking that one could love a player with the name of FUR-cal was possible?

His play was a travesty.:eek:

I almost felt sorry for him but then I quickly got my focus back! :p

RICHARD
10-16-2008, 07:30 PM
I almost felt sorry for him but then I quickly got my focus back! :p

Dang, and to think you were that close to make it over to the dark side!

I have to say tHat I have really enjoy the sports threads here on PT.

Going to the "regular" sports sites you have to deal with the rabid morons who spout off about their teams.

It's more fun 'arguing' with friends.:D

----------

How sad.

A reporter asked manager Joe Torre about the prospect oif keeping Manny Ramirez in a Dodger uni...

Torre answered,

MR has to think about his family.....

FOR 20 million dollars a year.

I could and would give my famly a few K, keep some for me and give the rest to charrity.

What a crock of crap.

Go baseball!

Grace
10-16-2008, 10:51 PM
I just knew if I didn't watch any of the games that they would win. I didn't even peek at the score during the game last night - just didn't want to take any chance at all of jinxing them.!!

I came into the computer room with the score Tampa Bay 7 - Boston 0. Bottom of the 8th, and the Sox have scored 7 runs. We are tied, and I'm tied to the computer. You better believe I'm not leaving until this game is over.

Grace
10-16-2008, 11:22 PM
I stayed right here - and don't you know the Sox just won in the bottom of the 9th!!

Thank you J.D. Drew http://bestsmileys.com/bouncing/3.gif

Karen
10-17-2008, 12:11 AM
Wheee! Ain't it fun being a Red Sox fan? ;) Nothing like waiting until the last chance ... Saturday should be interesting!

RICHARD
10-17-2008, 01:20 AM
Dang.

I started to watch Survivor and forgot all about the game!

Double Dang!:mad:

Grace
10-17-2008, 06:13 PM
Just read this at ESPN -

Friday, October 17, 2008
Report: Red Sox players vote to pay Manny two-thirds' playoff share
ESPN.com news services

Manny Ramirez spent the playoffs in Dodger blue. But he'll still get a share of Boston Red Sox playoff green.

The Boston Herald reported that Red Sox players last month voted Ramirez a two-thirds share of playoff money, reflecting the fact that Ramirez played two-thirds of the season in Boston before he was traded at the July 31 deadline to Los Angeles.

Only players who were on the roster for the entire season were eligible to vote, according to the report. For players who did not spend the entire season with the team, voting players first determined whether the players in question would get a payout for exact time on the roster, or a larger percentage, reflecting their contribution to the team.

For example, in 2004, Nomar Garciaparra received a three-fourths share of Boston's playoff money, despite the fact he played only two-thirds of the season with the Red Sox before being dealt to the Chicago Cubs.

According to a source with direct knowledge of the vote, the vote on Ramirez was divided, the Herald reported.

"Some wanted him to be paid days," the source said, rather than a more generous share, according to the report. "It was obviously a somewhat sensitive subject with some guys, but we didn't spend too much time on it. After the vote, we moved on."

Outfielder Jason Bay, who was obtained as part of the deal that sent Ramirez to L.A. and replaced him as the starting left fielder, received more than a one-third share. It was not clear if he was voted a half- or three-quarters share, according to the report.

Last year, a full share for the World Series-champion Red Sox totaled $308,235.75, based on a players' pool of $18.9 million. The Sox awarded 47 full shares, 14 partial shares and 11 cash awards, according to the Herald's report.

While Ramirez might be missing out on some playoff money from his old team, he stands to make a lot more money on the free-agent market this offseason. In Los Angeles, where fans serenaded him with "Stay, Manny, stay" in the waning innings of the National League Championship Series, he told reporters, "I want to see who is the highest bidder."

Dodgers owner Frank McCourt, who dealt for Ramirez at the trading deadline and saw him carry the team to the NL West title and the NLCS, didn't offer any guarantees.

"It takes two to tango," McCourt said. "Of course we want him back."

Grace
10-18-2008, 11:01 PM
That's all we need to know - Sunday night in Tampa. Sox vs Rays.

RICHARD
10-19-2008, 09:33 AM
Tonight is it.

Good game, tonight is the heartbreaker.

---------

Boras was on the tube the other day talking up his free agents.

Moron.

---------

I hope that Frank Caliendo's show dies a quick TV death. This guy is funny, once. The commercials every two seconds promoting the show are irritating and really stupid.

I enjoy comedy and people who do impressions, but the stink is starting to settle in on this 'rose'.
He did a Fox program and he did every one of characters, doing mature material-oh, he does them well, but there is the 'Robin Williams' affect in action there. Every interview is a mini-performance and we never find out who the real person behind the comedy.

IT's almost painful to want more baseball when you know that it will be a FC program with baseball commercials tossed in.

OH and TBS apologizes for the technical difficulties that kept you wondering about the first inning of the 6th game of the NLCS. I thought it was raining, tuned in to see they were playing in a dome and laughed.

Pam
10-22-2008, 11:03 PM
WAY TO GO PHILLIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool::cool:

RICHARD
10-22-2008, 11:13 PM
LOLOLOL, GO TO SLEEP!

It's a school night!:)

------------------

Good game. I hope they are all this close.

Pam
10-23-2008, 06:11 AM
LOLOLOL, GO TO SLEEP!

It's a school night!:)

LOL! Richard!

Pam
10-24-2008, 06:03 AM
Me last night >>>> :(:( But, now our Phils are coming home! :) Unfortunately the weather for tomorrow is going to be rainy but hopefully it will clear out by the evening. It is 39 degrees right now. Maybe the cold will be too much for those Florida guys. :p

RICHARD
10-24-2008, 09:04 AM
Me last night >>>> :(:( But, now our Phils are coming home! :) Unfortunately the weather for tomorrow is going to be rainy but hopefully it will clear out by the evening. It is 39 degrees right now. Maybe the cold will be too much for those Florida guys. :p

Now it's just a best of five.....

Good luck and as long as the games aren't 99-0, I'll be happy!

Pam
10-26-2008, 12:51 AM
WOO! HOO! :cool::cool::cool:That was a nail biter! I am getting too old for this kind of excitement!http://www.iconwild.com/smilies/happy/happy-smiley-085.gif

RICHARD
10-26-2008, 12:19 PM
WOO! HOO! :cool::cool::cool:That was a nail biter! I am getting too old for this kind of excitement!http://www.iconwild.com/smilies/happy/happy-smiley-085.gif

You shouldn't be yelling in the house so late at night.;)

Great game.

------------------

Growing up in a house full of boys my mom had to endure the yelling and screaming of sports fans. :rolleyes: On the warm days when the doors and windows are open she hears me yelling during Monday Night Football in my house......

During half time I'd trip over to her place and after a stern warning about "making noise at night", she asks....
"Who's winning?"

Grace
10-26-2008, 01:17 PM
When I get too exuberant watching sports on TV I end up freaking out the cats.

Then there was the night the Red Sox won the Series in 2004. My husband had gone to bed at 10pm. So, of course, when the bottom of the 9th rolls around, I opened up the bedroom door and told him he simply had to get up. Then I went back and turned the sound waaaay up.

RICHARD
10-26-2008, 01:24 PM

Then there was the night the Red Sox won the Series in 2004. My husband had gone to bed at 10pm. So, of course, when the bottom of the 9th rolls around, I opened up the bedroom door and told him he simply had to get up. Then I went back and turned the sound waaaay up.

MY RBGF was a HUGE football/Rams fan. She also liked her manicures.

She got to see the Rams win the SuperBowl and I got to see the scratches on my arms heal up nicely during the off season.:rolleyes::D

RICHARD
10-26-2008, 11:18 PM
WOO! HOO! :cool::cool::cool:

The game ended before midnight, are you happy?:):p

Pam
10-27-2008, 05:36 AM
The game ended before midnight, are you happy?:):p

ECSTATIC!!! I must confess that I fell asleep before the end this time. After staying up until after 2:00AM on Sunday morning and then getting up at 7:00AM to let the dogs out I pretty much knew at the beginning of the game that I wasn't going to make it all the way through. :rolleyes: I had a good feeling about it as I dozed off though. :) Yesterday in church our pastor said to expect to see him in full Phillies gear in the pulpit after they win! :eek: :D :p ONE MORE GAME TO GO!!!!

P.S. What was particularly nice about this game was that Ryan Howard "got his groove back." :p

RICHARD
10-27-2008, 06:26 AM
[COLOR="Red"] I had a good feeling about it as I dozed off though. :) Yesterday in church our pastor said to expect to see him in full Phillies gear in the pulpit after they win! :eek: :D :p [COLOR="Red"]ONE MORE GAME TO GO!!!!

P.S. What was particularly nice about this game was that Ryan Howard "got his groove back." :p

Ahem,

Using divine intervention isn't really in the rules.

But to see a pastor in his Sunday Finest, should be a treat!:D

Pam
10-27-2008, 07:00 AM
Ahem,

Using divine intervention isn't really in the rules.

But to see a pastor in his Sunday Finest, should be a treat!:D

We thought it was amusing that he said AFTER they win instead of IF they win. Wonder if he got a tip from up above. :p

RICHARD
10-27-2008, 09:44 PM
We thought it was amusing that he said AFTER they win instead of IF they win. Wonder if he got a tip from up above. :p

Not so fast....

What kind of connection does he have with Mother Nature?:confused:

Grace
10-27-2008, 09:53 PM
That game should have been stopped a long time ago. It was insane that they were playing in those conditions. The umps should be made to sleep on the field for the night.

Fortunately, no one got hurt.

RICHARD
10-27-2008, 09:55 PM
That game should have been stopped a long time ago. It was insane that they were playing in those conditions. The umps should be made to sleep on the field for the night.

Fortunately, no one got hurt.

My thoughts exactly, But I do like the hats with the flaps on them.
THose are cool.

I don't think they will continue with the game tonight.:eek:

Pam
10-27-2008, 10:06 PM
I don't think they will continue with the game tonight.:eek:

Tomorrow's weather will be worse so I think they will have to play on Wednesday. I bet those Tampa guys are wishing for their warm Florida sunshine. I'm not staying up any more tonight. I need my beauty sleep :p and to get ready for the rest of this game at a later date. :)

Pam
10-28-2008, 01:12 PM
No game tonight - smart move! This is how it still looks right now (that's me :D ) >>> http://www.iconwild.com/smilies/misc/misc-smiley-117.gif

Ginger's Mom
10-29-2008, 09:09 PM
Whoo-Hoo!!!! GO Phillies!!! :D
When is the parade?

Taz_Zoee
10-29-2008, 09:10 PM
I don't even watch baseball but it was on the TV while I am baking. I got all teary eyed when they won. I was thinking of all the PTers who live in PA. :D :D

Pam
10-29-2008, 09:23 PM
WE DID IT!!! YAY PHILLIES!!! THERE ARE FIREWORKS GOING OFF SOMEWHERE OUTSIDE MY HOUSE RIGHT NOW! PHILADELPHIA IS ONE HAPPY CITY TONIGHT!!!!!!!

RICHARD
10-29-2008, 09:29 PM
When is the parade?

Well, another season gone. It was kinda anticlimatic.Too weird.....

But I was happy anyway.

I heard a story about some guy who put 100 dollars on the Rays to win it all,
He lost 25.000k tonight.

Taz,

Did you see the Boston Celtic opener last night?

Paul Pierce was in tears thru the whole ceremony, That made me choke up-that is what class in sports is all about. He worked hard and deserved it.!

Pam,

GO TO SLEEP!:D

It it wasn't so dry out here I'd go out and do some fireworks myself!!!

Now just hope everyone behaves!!!!

Pam
10-29-2008, 09:42 PM
When is the parade?

Noon Friday starting at 20th & Market! :)

Ginger's Mom
10-29-2008, 09:51 PM
Thanks Pam. We were wondering if they would have it on Halloween. Some kids are driving around the neighborhood beeping their horn, but not being real obnoxious. It's all in fun. :D

buddy.09
10-30-2008, 03:04 PM
GO PHILLIES!!!! I was so excited when they won.

I was over my aunt's house (she lives in Philly) to watch the game. And right when the last batter striked out, people ran out their houses and celebrated. I never saw people act so crazy. :p But everyone had fun. :)

I was going to go to the parade, but unfornatly school is open and I can't afford to miss another day.

Woo-hooo the Phillies are the best!!! :D

davidpizzica
10-31-2008, 05:27 AM
I'm happy that the Phillies won the World Series. At least the championship is in Pennsylvania. One of these days the Pirates will make it to the Series, too!

Pam
10-31-2008, 12:09 PM
I'm watching the parade now. Roughly 2,000,000 people are said to be along the parade route! My son's company offered all employees to leave now to avoid gridlock traffic later - to either go to the parade or go home - whatever. He thought about it for a minute and decided to head for home. Traffic is no fun on a normal day, let alone this day! :eek::p