PDA

View Full Version : Why I love pet talk.

JuniorxMyxLove
03-01-2008, 09:31 PM
I joined another forum today, soley on guinea pigs, for input on building a cage. (not to replace PT, but a place more piggy centered). Within about 1 hour of joining, i'm definitely not welcome there.

The second I mentioned that my guinea pigs were from meijer, and that getting a pig from a pet store wouldn't kill you, I was shot down. I was called rude, ignorant, and rediculous.

I promptly posted (yep a post) that the forum was full of snobs and that I should have listened to the multitude of people telling me not to join. I may have added something about the forum disgusting me too... :rolleyes: I was upset, okay?

After that, they still yelled at me, and told me not to go on the forum if I didn't agree with them. My answer? "i'm going back to Pet Talk."

Why do people have to be so MEAN? :(

I love you guys and your un-snobbiness! Not those meanies.

And so, that is why I love PT.

Laura's Babies
03-01-2008, 10:12 PM
When things start to get ugly (on a forum/thread) I don't go back to that thread. The best thing to do is stay away and don't waste your time going to read trash like that....

Alysser
03-02-2008, 08:02 AM
I've been there with one budgie forum. When I was told I was a bad pet owner because I kept my bird in her cage 24/7, even though she gets TONS of attention each day from 3 people(me, mom, and dad). I defended myself then left. I felt guilty so I wound up apologizing and when they apologized to me and said I was welcome to the forum I simply said "I came back to apologize, not join. I did this more for myself then I did for you, I am NOT joining a place like this." Then I left, never looked back. I am actively(ok not actively) part of 6 pet forums which I like alot and they are nice people, so I've been pretty lucky. I can't seem to get myself permanently away from pettalk unless I'm busy. If I am mad at something, I just stay away for a few days or barley post but I can't ever just leave unless I am really busy or something.

This forum is really great. I'm sorry you had to experience that. Flaming someone about something from the past is a little stupid. Glad you aren't going back, you're always welcome here :)

pitc9
03-02-2008, 08:07 AM
I'm glad you came "Back Home" :D

JuniorxMyxLove
03-03-2008, 02:04 PM
I'm glad you came "Back Home" :D

yes, I'm back home. and I like it here much better. haha trying to get used to a new format was confusing me! :[

I defended myself once and then haven't posted since, although I did go back one more time to get a look at the layout of someone's cage (for help building my own).

I'm not horrible because i got Pepsi and Buddy at Meijers...am I?

Alysser
03-03-2008, 06:23 PM
No you are NOT horrible. I don't see a problem really with getting an animal from a pet store unless it's a dog/kitten. Normally, those types of animals come from puppy mills or bad breeders but I've spoken with many pet store owners and they said they get hamsters, snakes, etc from reputable exotic animal breeders. I'm not to sure how true it is, but I believe it. Plus, I really don't see anything wrong with getting an animal from a REPUTABLE breeder. I am for adoption 100% though, it's a very good option and next time I get a small pet, dog, or I'll adopt for sure. ;) My RB budgie Sunny was from the local SPCA.

JuniorxMyxLove
03-04-2008, 02:10 PM
That makes me feel better :]

My next pig(s) are going to come from the shelter for sure.

Lexi & Gypsy were rescues...Gypsy and the rest of her litter were abandoned at the vets, and Lexi's was going to be sent to the shelter if no one took them. Sadie came from an accidental breeding...so I guess a bit of a backyard breeder (seeing as the mom was bred in the neighborhood when she got loose) but I think it was actually a good mix of breeds. She would have became a rescue puppy if her and her 8 brothers/sisters weren't taken.

I found another piggy forum where I can browse for info...I've been too scared to join though since it's a pro-rescue forum.

Maya & Inka's mommy
03-04-2008, 03:12 PM
Why ??? Because Pet Talk rocks!!!

CathyBogart
03-04-2008, 09:52 PM
I used to be a member of a board FULL of rat snobs. I once *GASP* bought a feeder rat as a pet, thus perpetuating the trend of live rats being used as snake food, and they tore me to shreds about it. Oh, and heaven forbid ANYONE EVER keep a singleton rat. :rolleyes:

PT rules! :D

JuniorxMyxLove
03-05-2008, 07:49 AM
haha CathyBogart that's funny...but whats a singleton rat?

Hellow
03-05-2008, 12:03 PM
I may not have been posting much on here recently but i am still on here pretty often. I recently read this article from PC World called "Jerks of the Web". It said that the reason why people act like jerks on the web is because there is no visual contact between the people. They feel more secure acting like a jerk in front of a computer than in person because there is nothing the other person can do about it that will physicaly harm them. Article Link: http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,142229/article.html

RICHARD
03-05-2008, 12:18 PM
I don't understand.....

You mean there are other pet sites? ;)

IMPOSSIBLE.

lvpets2002
03-05-2008, 12:50 PM
Why ??? Because Pet Talk rocks!!!

:p Did someone say Let's Rock !! Glad you are back.. I totally aggree with Laura.. Life is too short for Slamming on Threads & Post..
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b335/lvpets2002/prod_104_35194.jpg

Hellow
03-05-2008, 12:53 PM
Heh ive saw that image somewhere else on here, always cracks me up when i see it lol.

JuniorxMyxLove
03-05-2008, 01:08 PM
I don't understand.....

You mean there are other pet sites? ;)

IMPOSSIBLE.

there are...but none quite like pet talk :]

carole
03-05-2008, 01:25 PM
You know the way i look at it, those animals in pet stores need homes too, if everyone adopts from shelters, then they will be left, i am often so tempted when people are in the pet shop thinking of buying a kitten to tell them go to the shelter, because they cost a lot less for one and they are more responsible and give out spaying/neutering vouchers, which only one big pet store in my city does, the rest are so irresponsible and it angers me a lot,but then i look at the adorable kitten they are thinking of taking, and i keep quiet, it deserves a home just as much, not it's fault it comes from breeders or other irresponsible people who let their cats breed,anyhow that is my take on it. :) so don't feel bad.

As far as pet talk goes, it is simply THE BEST,there are no comparisons IMO,i have no need or desire to join any other pet forum on the net ever,here i am amongst true family and friends. :)

JuniorxMyxLove
03-05-2008, 05:34 PM
Yeah! I mean if you buy a guinea pig from a store...you're sort of rescuing :] I mean you're taking them home with you anyways! And if breeders can't sell their pigs to pet stores because no ones buying from pet stores, then they'd send them to a rescue anyways..right?

carole
03-05-2008, 08:13 PM
Maybe even a worse scenario would eventuate as the shelter's would become full, they are now even,so you can imagine the end result. :mad:

buttercup132
03-05-2008, 08:36 PM
And if breeders can't sell their pigs to pet stores because no ones buying from pet stores, then they'd send them to a rescue anyways..right? No they would stop breeding them. They aren't breeding for the sake of breeding they are breeding for money. By sending them to shelters they aren't making money. Sometimes shelters even charge a fee to drop the animals off so they would be loosing money.

If you leave the animals in the pet store the same thing goes, they will stop breeding if people stop buying.

I don't think message boards should be bashing you for already owning those animals though. There are alot of people here who have got their animals from byb's and pet stores and some people who still do and they don't get bashed.

carole
03-06-2008, 01:06 PM
I can only speak about pet stores in NZ, they are not all from breeders here, they take them to the pet shop, and i don't know if they are even given any money for them, most of them are from people who just have not bothered to spay their animals, we do of course have some pedigree's as well, and they are specifically bred to sell too, but a majority are just as i have mentioned, so that won't stop people letting their cats and dogs breed i am afraid.

JuniorxMyxLove
03-07-2008, 02:25 PM
No they would stop breeding them.

comforting to know.