PDA

View Full Version : My orchid is alive and well

Randi
03-01-2008, 09:55 AM
I bought this little lousy orchid for about $1 last year, the flower didn’t last long, but I noticed a new shoot coming out, so I kept it.

A few weeks ago, it started blossoming and this is what it looks like now. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/Fister/Hjemme/orkide2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/Fister/Hjemme/orkide3.jpg

pitc9
03-01-2008, 10:09 AM
It's beautiful!!!

It's just like adopting an older or sick animal and nursing it back to health!

Way to Go!! :D

Bengalz
03-01-2008, 10:58 AM
It's so beautiful and you are to be commended Randi - orchids are not an easy plant to grow :)

Your photos gave me a great idea :D to use hair claws to keep plant props in place - ingenious :D Thank You!

Felicia's Mom
03-01-2008, 11:10 AM
Congrats Randi, it is beautiful!:)

Cinder & Smoke
03-01-2008, 11:24 AM
That's a Purdy Flower!! :)

Reminds me of my Grammy and my Mom - both dedicated indoor Violet gardeners.
EVERY winter it was the same: Grammy/Mom, WHY do you keep waterin all those Dead Sticks?
They otta be at the Great Compost Pile inna Sky! They're Gonners!

And every Spring, they made the most beautiful Violet Blooms you could imagine!

:)

Maya & Inka's mommy
03-01-2008, 11:29 AM
orchids are not an easy plant to grow :)

That is so true!! Most people throw the plant away once the flowers are gone! You did a really fantastic job!!
I'm sure it won't be a surprise to know that Bernard knows that "art" too ;)

Your photos gave me a great idea :D to use hair claws to keep plant props in place - ingenious :D Thank You!

at first I thought I saw a huge fat spider... :eek:

Catty1
03-01-2008, 11:44 AM
Oh Randi - that is just stunning! Beautiful work.

Will you be starting an Orchid Rescue? You've done so well with this one! ;)

Edwina's Secretary
03-01-2008, 12:14 PM
WOW! I have never had the nerve to try orchids. Fabulous job Randi! I have had amaryllis come back after looking dead. Am trying one right now.

Randi
03-01-2008, 12:18 PM
Thank you! :) This is actually the first time I've had an orchid - I also heard how difficult they are, but a little tender loving and care will do wonders. I take it every sunday and give it a good soak, then drain ALL the water and put it back. Piece of cake! ;) I haven't even changed the soil - not that there's much in it.

It's just like adopting an older or sick animal and nursing it back to health!
Yes, isn't it!

Phred, your mom and granny knew what they were doing! Violets... hmm, I have some of those too, I wonder how many kinds there are. The ones I have are small and hangs on the side of the pot. Tiny lilac flowers pop up during the summer. I just replanted some.

Bengalz, I too think it's a brilliant idea to use hair claws to keep them in place, but I can't take the credit, it was already there when I got it.

Oh Lut, I bet Bernard can keep almost any flower alive! :D All I want to know, is how to keep an olive plant alive. Just today, I replanted one and the only green shoots there were, fell off. I put it in a little glass - hope it will shoot new roots! The rest of the plant I put into new soil - it HAS got roots! ;)

Catty1, Yeah, if I could rescue orchids for everyone, I might even be able to make a living!

Killearn Kitties
03-01-2008, 01:00 PM
That is absolutely gorgeous Randi! I wouldn't even have tried to nurse an orchid back into bloom. Most impressive! :D

cyber-sibes
03-01-2008, 01:35 PM
Beautiful! You done good! I've given up on owning indoor plants that flower. :rolleyes: I have several cactus, they seem to thrive on my brown thumb care!! :D

critter crazy
03-01-2008, 01:43 PM
It is just Lovely!!!:eek:

ramanth
03-01-2008, 04:07 PM
Beautiful!! I once bought my grandma an orchid and a couple weeks later she called me to apologize. She said she had killed it. :o

Freedom
03-01-2008, 04:27 PM
Beautiful!

gemini9961
03-01-2008, 06:43 PM
It's beautiful Randi. It's a phalaenopsis orchid (if you didn't know). It's looking good. I have 4 orchids here at my house and 1 at work. I thought they would be hard but so far they aren't too bad. Whatever you are doing with it is working. :)

Barbara
03-02-2008, 08:28 AM
I bow in awe! I never can do things like this.

Pam
03-02-2008, 09:10 AM
I bow in awe! I never can do things like this.

Nor could I! In times past my mother and I would go to the nurseries and garden marts for plants. I would pick the healthiest one and she would pick one that needed TLC. Hers would flourish and often mine would not. I don't have to worry about plants any more, though, because Trevor and Andy and plants are not a compatible trio. :rolleyes:

lizbud
03-02-2008, 04:39 PM
Congratulations Randi, they're beautiful flowers. :) It's obvious you have
the touch. :)

When I was a child my Mom would somtimes put an old potato in a glass
of water & put it on the sunny kitchen window. It sprouted pretty vines
of an ivy like plant. My Mom was the gardener in the family. :)

RobiLee
03-03-2008, 07:14 AM
Beautiful! You done good! I've given up on owning indoor plants that flower. :rolleyes: I have several cactus, they seem to thrive on my brown thumb care!! :D

Cactus...hmmm,maybe that is what I need to get...LOL.

Randi, the orchid is beautiful. Congrats on maintaining it and helping it to thrive. So pretty.

phesina
03-03-2008, 06:22 PM
What a beautiful flower! Well done, Randi! (and Fister, of course)

Sonia59
03-04-2008, 09:27 AM
I have exactly the same. I would never buy an orchid myself as I know they have very specific needs, but it was a present. It had flowers when I got it, but it never blossomed again. I kept it though, as I don't like throwing alive plants ;) I am still hoping for new flowers.

Randi
03-04-2008, 10:36 AM
Sonya, look for a fresh stem at the bottom of the plant, that's how I found out that a new one was on its way. It was only 1 cm. after it lost it's flowers, but kept growing. :) When it gets long enough, you fasten it to a stick. Water it once a week. Don't let it stand in draft.

Sonia59
03-05-2008, 10:55 AM
I had a look but I don't see any new stem. Only a few green roots. Giving a weekly shower is a good idea, but I don't dare doing it as the water here is extremely hard. I think it would do worse. I keep the plant anyway, I will see what happens ;)