PDA

View Full Version : Jack Is Ill: He is going to the bridge...(Update)

CultureJunky
03-01-2008, 03:37 AM
Okay, as you know around three weeks ago Jack had his right thyroid gland removed due to having being diagnosed with hyperthyroidism.
He's been recoving well and gaining weight.
However the past two days he's been breathing very fast and his heartbeat has been extremely fast (you can feel it by putting your hand on his side)
So I took him back to the vets, the head nurse examined him, and said he should see the surgeon.
So the surgeon saw him, he examined him, looked in his eyes to see if the pupils dilated which they didn't. Now I'm assuming after having his thyroid problem that he has hypertension (high blood pressure) which can be caused by having a thyroid problem.
But the surgeon, asked if he'd been outside and hit by a car or something, he checked his claws etc, and I was like well no he's been inside since his operation?
He then said he thought he had neurological damage and that was why he was breathing funny and had a fast heartbeat. I don't understand why he's saying this, he thinks that he has had a blunt trauma to the head. I said well isn't it linked to his thyroid? and he said it wasn't.
But I am sure it is linked and he just needs to be treated for high blood pressure.
He gave him a 25mg atenolol, which he has to have a quarter of every day. Now I looked hypertension up and researched it on the net and it says that the symptoms of it are rapid heart rate or murmour and no response to light when shined in the eyes, which is exactly what happend with Jack.
I just don't understand why the vet has not noticed this and seen a link?
I am positive he has hypertension.

Basically he said to me, that I should bring him back today and think about having him put to sleep? I was like, I don't think so. Naturally I went to pieces and cried my eyes out. He even said don't be surprised if you get up in the morning and he's already gone.
But he is fine in himself, still washing, still using his scratching post and drinking, he's eaten but not a lot, but certainly not as if there is neurological damage?! He's not in any pain, though the vet said he may feel discomfort with his breathing, but if he's not in pain then I'm NOT putting him to sleep for god's sake.
He's lying on the sofa at the moment asleep, other than his fast breathing, he's fine all other ways.

So this morning I tried to ring another vets, not a charity one like I use, they basically said they can't see him without his medical history records, and the vet won't see him without these, I tried to explain to the receptionist about his condition, but she cut me off and just said 'I have a lot to do today we are fully booked and I can't talk to you about this now'
So basically I think they were saying as they knew I'd used the PDSA I wasn't very well off and probably wouldn't be able to afford to use them anyway. She said phone back on Monday and make an appointment with us.
I won't be doing that.

So I'm not taking Jack in today to see the emergency vet (as it's the weekend) as the surgeon said he'd leave a note, and if the note is to say to put him down, I am not doing that.
I will ring first thing Monday morning to get another appointment to see another vet and explain I want him looked at for hypertension, as it must be related to his hyperthyroidism.
I have to explore all options surely?
Do you think I'm being naive by trying to get him looked at regarding hypertension?
I think it was a complete mis diagnosis by the surgeon, he doesn't have neurological damage, has NOT had anything hit him in the head, and it must be to do with his thryoid. I don't understand why he didn't see this?
The main reason he said brain damage is because his pupils didn't respond to anything, but this IS one of the sypmtoms of hypertension.
I am going to print off all the stuff I've found on the internet and take it with me to show who I see, I have to have a second option surely?

I am emotionally ragged again, and my head is spinning.

I didn't mean to go on so long.

I would reallly like people's opinions on this as you are all experienced cat owners who may have had the same thing.

Kate

Laura's Babies
03-01-2008, 06:56 AM
Your baby is sick and you are worried silly, no need to apoligize to anyone here for a long post about how worried you are. My vet knows me and a lot of times, I am the one he treats, not the baby I take in (usually Amy) and I always left feeling better after assurances from him that they are OK. I hope things get better, I am sure you will find a better vet that will reslove this and help him. Take a deep breath and hang in there! ((((HUGS)))))

Freedom
03-01-2008, 08:23 AM
Kate, I am so sorry to read of the time you are having!

I looked up 'atenolol,' as I am not familiar with it. That IS prescribed for hypertention. So maybe the doc DID listen to you? It will be interesting to see if Jack responds to it over these few days of treatment.

Prayers for Jack, {{hugs}} for you.

Medusa
03-01-2008, 09:09 AM
A second opinion is always a good idea anyhow for something so serious, so I wouldn't waste any time finding another vet. In the meantime, continue w/his medication and we'll do our part by praying that Jack responds to it. This is so scary and frustrating, I know. Our furkids can't talk and tell us what's wrong or what hurts and sometimes we have to trust our instincts. Hang in there and please keep us posted.

CultureJunky
03-01-2008, 09:35 AM
Thank you folks for your comforting words. I know I am doing the right thing for Jack, and it's only natural I'm going to do my best for him to get him better. I will not let him go from me until I have exhausted all options, I just wouldn't. Naturally if he was in pain or in any kind of stress that I couldn't stand to see him in I would let him go. But he honestly isn't. He's been lying on the sofa asleep next to me, and I've been smoothing him, he's purring away, apart from breathing very shallow and a bit fast.
I will give him more of his tablet with some tuna later on. I really do think I am on the right track, I know I'm not a vet, but I know Jack and have been as careful and tried to find out as much about hyperthyroidism as soon as I knew he had it, so I would be able to take care of him the best I could. I feel I am doing that, by trying to find other options.
I really do believe he needs a course of these or similar medication to take his heart rate back down again to normal levels.
I'm not just going to put him to sleep until I know I have done everything I could possibly do for him.

Thanks for your prayes, and please pray as hard as you can for him :(

Catty1
03-01-2008, 11:24 AM
Sounds like those are the right meds for hypertension...I hope they kick in soon!

I'm not a vet, but I can't see either why neurological damage would be at all suspected...unless something happened during surgery. But all went well, and this started just lately.

I feel in my gut that what Jack has is treatable. {{{{hugs}}}} and I hope you find a vet who knows about hypertension. :)

Hugs to Jack for me!

jennielynn1970
03-01-2008, 03:13 PM
Both my father and myself take Atenolol for high blood pressure. I sure hope it works for Jack. I'd be so ticked with that other vet that said they were booked and couldn't talk with you right now.

I hope you can get him in to see another vet at a different office. I'd be worried sick AND furious!

CultureJunky
03-01-2008, 04:30 PM
Both my father and myself take Atenolol for high blood pressure. I sure hope it works for Jack. I'd be so ticked with that other vet that said they were booked and couldn't talk with you right now.

I hope you can get him in to see another vet at a different office. I'd be worried sick AND furious!

Yes as I found out in my researching on the net it is a human drug, and only patented for humans, but it is used by vets to treat hypertension in cats. As it's for human use, the dose is small, about a quarter of the 25mg each day.
I am going to ring the PDSA and explain he has responded well to the atenolol and ask if I can have a prescription for more. He seems a bit better this evening, sitting on the sofa, after having his second quarter of the tablet.
I really am against taking him to the vets, as he gets terrible panic attacks in the car and carrier, and this will exacerbate his breathing and heart rate, so I am REALLY hoping they will let me have a prescription for it and let him have it for a few days, maybe when he settles down a bit and is calmer I can take him to be checked.

Has anybody here gone to the vets for a prescription and they have given it to them, without examining their cat beforehand, if it has already been prescribed in a small dose?

I will sleep downstairs with him again tonight, hopefully when he's settled down for the night and sleeping, the tablet will work more and his heart will have slowed down more.

Medusa
03-01-2008, 04:33 PM
Has anybody here gone to the vets for a prescription and they have given it to them, without examining their cat beforehand, if it has already been prescribed in a small dose?

My old vet, who has since retired, would've done that for me because I went to him for 30 years. But I doubt that any vet nowadays will do it because of the liability. I'd ask anyhow, ya never know. All they can say is "no".

catmandu
03-01-2008, 04:43 PM
What a terrible thing to say , to consider having Jack put down before all avenues have been explored!!!
I dont think that anty Vet worth his salt would say that unless the Pet was in dire straight.
We are praying hard for Jack, and we hope that that medicine helps him be his old self again.
That receptionist should be reprimanded for her lack of courtesy and proffesionalism.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/Picture051.jpg
Jack, were in your corner!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/new%20photos/cats1011742.jpg

CultureJunky
03-02-2008, 09:09 AM
Okay, an update on Jack and how things are going.

I rang a vet this morning, called Cardiff Cat Clinic, they are a cat only practice. As it was a Sunday, I had to ring the emergency line, this transferred me to an emergency practice that covers a number of vetinary practices in the Cardiff area on weekends.
I took him in to be examined.
The vet checked his heart, lungs and pulse. He couldn't feel his pulse as it was quite weak, and he also said his temprature is quite low. His heart was beating so fast he couldn't count it, he says there is something going on with his heart and it's quite bizarre to be so high, and also that it might have a murmur.
So he's keeping him in for the night, and has given him an injection of atenolol (the same medication the PDSA vet gave me in tablet form) to stabalise him and help bring his heart rate down, he may also give him some oxygen.

We have to ring between 4-6 pm to see how he is doing and if the injection has helped.
As it's an emergency vets they can only keep him until 8.00am tomorrow morning, then he can be transferred to a vet of our choice. I am NOT taking him back to the PDSA. I will try and get him into the Cardiff Cat Clinic practice tomorrow morning, get him registered and then try and get him treated.
The vet said that as they have now looked at him, the PDSA probably won't take him back again as they are a charity and sometimes they don't accept animals back, this doesn't matter to me as I'm not taking him back anyway, I said money isn't an option, I want to get the best treatment for him. PDSA only do basic things and simply wouldn't have the money for the work he needs done.
The vet said he needs to have blood tests, and a chest X-ray to see what is going on with his heart. He also said it is possible it could be his other thyroid gland as they sometimes break down too after over compensating after the removal of the oppostite one. But most inportantly he thinks he should have blood tests and get a chest X-ray.

Naturally he explained that when he gets an X-ray he will have to have an anaesthetic and this is dangerous considering he's quite ill. I accept this that he could possibly die from it, but It needs to be done to treat him.

I am prepared to let him be treated and if he happened to pass away then I would feel much better the fact that he passed on being treated properly by a good vet. I will accept that, I could not however accept just having him put to sleep or letting him die of a heart attack at home. I would never have recovered from that.

So he'll stay in overnight and we pick him up at 8.00am tomorrow morning. He'll stay stabalised, providing he doesn't deteriorate then the vet would do the chest x-ray and blood tests himself, but I do think he'll be okay having the injection to reduce his heart rate.
I am praying he'll stay stablised overnight and I can get him registered and start trying to find out what's wrong with him at the Cats clinic asap tomorrow.

So that is what is happening, I miss him already, the house is empty without him, but I am comforted knowing he's being looked after and is stable and not in any specific danger for the time being.

Kate

Medusa
03-02-2008, 09:36 AM
Wow, that's quite a lot for you to handle! But at the same time, I believe that you're making the right decisions. I'm not sure I understand why Jack needs to be anesthetized for an x-ray, though. My Puddy just had an ultrasound and an x-ray and she wasn't anesthetized. (She was so calm that I asked and my vet assured me that she was not.) At any rate, we're sending out those prayers that things will turn around for Jack and for you.

CultureJunky
03-02-2008, 09:48 AM
I think the vet would have him have an anaesthetic as it would stress him to be X-rayed, it could be that if he's okay overnight, and he goes to the other vets (the cat clinic) that they won't need to anasthetise him for an X-ray, that's what I'm hoping. I guess they would have to seriously stablise him and bring his heart rate right down for a few days before considering their options. I think they would want to reduce the risk of him passing away whist having a chest x-ray.
I can't tell you all how quickly I want tomorrow to come so I can get him to the other vets, I am so desperate for the time to fly, I am trying to find things to do to make the time go faster!

orangemm
03-02-2008, 10:39 AM
My heart goes out to you and to Jack; I know you are terribly anxious and scared for him. I, too, am glad you got a 2nd opinion. Sometimes that makes all the difference. We'll pray lots of prayers for your baby.

((((hugs))))

kb2yjx
03-02-2008, 11:40 AM
WOW!!! I just read this thread and I have to admit, I am overwhelmed!!! Many prayers for Jack and you, too. This is not an easy time.....HUGS!! Sandra

Laura's Babies
03-02-2008, 12:37 PM
((((HUGS)))) for you and for him! I will keep praying for him. You are doing all you can and that is all any of us can do for our babies.

rg_girlca
03-02-2008, 03:13 PM
Oh gosh, poor sweet Jack and poor you. I'm glad you got a second opinion.

I won't even comment on the vet who said to have him PTS without even fully checking him out or the receptionist who had no time for you. :mad:

Big time prayers on the way that they find out what is really troubling poor Jack and that it can be easily cured with the proper medication.

Sending {{{{{{HUGS}}}}}} out to you.

Catlady711
03-02-2008, 03:15 PM
I just now saw this thread. Poor Jack, I hope the ER vet gets him to feeling better. I know how frustrating it is and the worry over our kittes when they don't feel good. I really hope they get Jack breathing better and he can come home soon.

In reading the first post of the thread, I wanted to make a comment on this part....

So this morning I tried to ring another vets, not a charity one like I use, they basically said they can't see him without his medical history records, and the vet won't see him without these, I tried to explain to the receptionist about his condition, but she cut me off and just said 'I have a lot to do today we are fully booked and I can't talk to you about this now'
Kate

Most vets want records when the animal has already been seen somewhere for the same problem. This has nothing to do with what type of clinic you've been going to. If the vet doesn't have previous records they may have to repeat lab work, xrays etc that have already been done. This is a waste of your money and their time. Also records contain information about previous medications that did and did not work. Without that info the vet may end up prescribing something that has already been tried and didn't work.

A vet cannot rely entirely on the statements of the client for the medical history of previous visits. A client may remember something important incorrectly. It puts the vet out there for liability and possiblity of losing their license should something go wrong and they based their treatment upon verbal recommendation from a client not licensed in veterinary care. The AVMA would frown on a vet practicing medicine that way.

If the vet practice you called was very busy and you were protesting bringing in records, they probably thought that either you didn't follow the previous vets recommendations and now have a mess (I've seen this WAY too many times) or you hadn't had your pet to the vet in years and now have a mess (also seen this one WAY too many times). Obviously in your case niether is what has happened but a new vet has no way of knowing that.

Just wanted to help you clarify why that probably happened to you when you called the other vet. I know it doens't fix anything, but it may help you to at least understand them better.

Taz_Zoee
03-02-2008, 04:23 PM
I will be thinking of Jack until I hear some good news.

krazyaboutkatz
03-03-2008, 01:53 AM
I sure hope that the new vet will be able to help Jack and find out what's wrong with him. Lots more prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way.

CultureJunky
03-03-2008, 05:33 AM
A new update, we picked up Jack this morning from the emergency vets .
He had a stable night, but they couldn't give him the atenolol injection as he got too stressed when they went near his cubicle, he hissed and spat whenever anybody walked past. This is completely out of character for Jack as he is the softest cat you could ever hope to meet, so he was obviously not feeling good at all.
We then drove the the Cardiff cat clinic. We said we were with PDSA (the charity vet) but that he needs help and we'd like him to be transferred here. The vet did say he'd need his records, but phoned then and asked for them to be faxed to him, he also had the emergency vets record faxed through also.
He examined him and said the outlook is not good. His heartbeat is extreme and his breathing is also terrible.
He also said his other thyroid gland is huge and is a goitre(?) so would need to be taken out as it's gone haywire like his other one did.
So he is suffering still from hyperthyroidism and that the gland is probably leaking the toxic fluid into his blood causing his heart rate.
However he said he may have irepairable damage to his heart and he will need oto X-ray it to see if it is enlarged.
As he is gravely ill, the main thing to do is to try and lower his heart rate so he has been put on oxygen for a few hours to try and calm it down.
However he said he is extremely weak and could very likely collapse at any time.
If he can't get his heart rate down with oxygen, then he said he would certainly not survive an aneasthetic for an X-ray or anything else and there would be nothing he could do.
He said he doesn't want to handle him too much either as the slightest physical movement and stress could kill him.

He said the prognosis is extremely poor. I wanted to give him the best chance possible so opted for him to be treated with oxygen for a few hours to see if it works and lowers his heart. If it doesn't, then it will be time to let him go.

I cannot describe how I am feeling right now, my heart is broken, and I feel dead inside, and just want to lie down and sob. My heart is breaking into pieces and the thought of having to let him go is just too much for me to take.

I feel partly responsible in taking him to the PDSA (the PDSA is for people on low incomes who recieve housing or tax benefits) and not to a better vet practice who could've spotted the trouble and removed both thyroids, I have no doubt he would've had better treatment. It's only now going to these private vets that I can see the difference in the way they treat the animals and the level of care they give. Jack didn't have any aftercare after his operation to remove his thyroid, no medication, nothing.
If he had been at another vets I think he wouldn't be the way he is now.
I know deep down it's not my fault as I didn't know, and knew nothing about hyperthyroidism., but if only I had taken him sooner, it may have helped, I just thought he was losing weight from excercise, I did'nt know there was anything wrong with him. How could I have been so blind to the fact he was ill?
I feel that it could've been so different if I'd only taken him to a private vets instead of using PDSA, they obviously only offer basics, but I just didn't know or realise that, I just didn't know.

So that is the update, I am waiting for a phone call this afternoon to let me know if he has repsonded to the oxygen treatment. I am praying that he has :(

My heart is broken, and it will never ever heal.

Killearn Kitties
03-03-2008, 05:54 AM
I'm so sorry to hear that you are having such a terrible time. My thoughts will be with Jack over the next few hours. I desperately hope that he responds to the oxygen treatment.

Please take care of yourself today.

jenluckenbach
03-03-2008, 05:57 AM
{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}

I am so sorry that Jack is so sick. I will pray that he can rebound. I am heart broken with you. :(

Freedom
03-03-2008, 08:07 AM
Hugs to all of you, Kate.

You are trying to do what is best for Jack and you have to remember that. What a difficult situation. I am praying for all of you.

Laura's Babies
03-03-2008, 08:45 AM
((((HUGS)))) Poor Jack, I bet he is terrified with what he is experiencing. I know you are terrified too. Just remember we are here and we understand. Prayers are going for Jack!

Anikaca77
03-03-2008, 08:58 AM
My prays for you and for Jack. (Hugs)

Randi
03-03-2008, 09:22 AM
Oh poor Jack, and poor you. :( I'm so sorry to read this. I really hope that Jack will respond to the oxygen and feel better. Then there is chance that the vet can treat him.

I'm sending lots of positive thougths to Jack - and big hugs to you.

Please don't blame yourself, you are doing all you can for him.

Catty1
03-03-2008, 10:08 AM
CJ - you have done everything for Jack, everything you could. It's clear that he is very loved.

There are so few of us that know everything that could happen when we take our babies in, even everything about the illness they have. It's okay - you did your absolute best with what you have.

I pray that the oxygen calms Jack's heart rate down...that his heart xray is ok. The best outcome is that the other part of the thyroid could be removed...or he could be put on a thyroid med to keep the levels good.

HUGE PT Prayers for Jack.

{{{{hugs}}}}

jennielynn1970
03-03-2008, 10:16 AM
Oh my, what a horrible thing to have happened!! I would be so upset with the clinic that treated him. Whether or not you are low income or whatever, you deserve the same treatment as any other person with pets!! A vet is a vet, and they should know that they are treating all God's creatures. Shame on them, for putting you and Jack through this.

I'll be praying for Jack and for you to pull through this. Big hugs.... we are all here if you need a shoulder!

Emeraldgreen
03-03-2008, 11:45 AM
I'm so sorry about what you and Jack are going through. I'm praying that the oxygen will help him and that you receive some uplifting news this afternoon. Try not to be so hard on yourself, you could not have known that the vet wasn't going to everything he could for Jack. I would have assumed that a vet in practice, no matter what practice, would do their best and it is just awful that he did not. It's not your fault. I hope you'll be kind to yourself and give Sunny a hug. You guys need each other right now.

krazyaboutkatz
03-03-2008, 11:46 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this.:( Please don't blame yourself. You've done everything for him that you could. I'll continue to keep Jack in my thoughts and prayers. Please take care. ((((HUGS))))

Freedom
03-03-2008, 12:13 PM
Well it is after 5 PM there. I was just checking in to see what developed. Thinking of you!

Grace
03-03-2008, 12:25 PM
Did any of the docs use the term thyroid storm? That's what it sounds like to me.

Catty1
03-03-2008, 01:22 PM
• Cats may present in a "thyroid storm" with severe tachycardia, open-mouthed breathing, hypoxia, and a "panic-attack" mental status. These cats may become aggressive and/or hysterical with handling.

c. Acute Management

• Reduce stress! Too much handling or restraint (blood draws, catheter placement, radiographs) will exacerbate catecholamine release, and can precipitate a stroke or a fatal cardiac arrhythmia.

• Give supplemental oxygen and cage rest. Do not attempt to place an oxygen face mask on a hypoxic 'thyroid storm' cat!

• Start a beta-blocking agent ASAP. Propranolol is the drug of choice because it blocks both the peripheral and cardiac effects of thyrotoxicosis, while more cardiac specific beta-blocking agents (e.g. atenolol) do not block the peripheral effects. Dose: Cat 1 - 2 mg/kg BID - TID; Dog 0.2 - 1 mg/kg BID - TID, to effect.

Causes(in humans):

* Infection: lung infection, throat infection or pneumonia
* Blood sugar changes: Diabetic ketoacidosis, insulin-induced hypoglycemia
* Recent surgery to the thyroid
* Abrupt withdrawal of antithyroid medications
* Radioactive iodine (RAI) treatment of the thyroid
* Excessive palpation (handling/manipulation) of the thyroid
* Severe emotional stress
* An overdose of thyroid hormone
* Toxemia of pregnancy and labor

Thyroid storm is treated with a combination of antithyroid drugs, blockade iodine drug, beta-blockers, and treatment for any underlying non-thyroidal illness or infection that may be contributing to the thyroid storm.

GILL
03-03-2008, 02:49 PM
I am so sorry too hear this.
The CREW all 10 plus mom and dad are pulling for you and your baby.

kittycats_delight
03-03-2008, 03:01 PM
I have been following this thread and am only posting now. I was hoping the news would get better and I still hold out that hope. Know our thoughts and prayers are with you from Italy and we hope and pray Jack can make it through this terrible ordeal.

((((HUGS))))
Michelle

kitten645
03-03-2008, 03:18 PM
Poor Jack and poor you :( I am heartbroken with you. I hope Jack finds peace and comfort regardless of the outcome. You did all you knew how to. Please don't blame yourself. Grief is the price we pay for love. Hugs.

orangemm
03-03-2008, 03:48 PM
(((hugs))) and prayers for both of you. My heart is breaking for you. We all know the pain you are feeling.

kb2yjx
03-03-2008, 05:08 PM
Please do not blame yourself!! You gave Jack the best care plus some!!! Many prayers coming your way for Jack and YOU!!!!!! HUGS!!!!!!!!!!!! Sandra

momcat
03-03-2008, 05:38 PM
Please don't blame yourself for anything. You've done everything possible motivated by your unconditional love for Jack. Second guessing yourself and wondering all the what ifs is understandable and goes with the territory. Jack certainly doesn't blame you because he knows you love him and tried your very best to help him feel better. You did nothing wrong! Many prayers are being prayed for Jack and for you. Hoping and praying for a positive update.

CultureJunky
03-04-2008, 04:10 AM
Thank you for your prayers and thoughts, I am counting them all, and hoping they will help to take care of Jack.

Update:
The vet phoned yesterday and said he managed to get a blood test from Jack, he is still stable, poorly but stable having oxygen.
He said he is completely hyperthyroid and is suffering from serious hyperthyroidism, as it has shown in his blood. This is what is making his rapid heart rate and breathing.
His other thyroid has just completely taken over, and is going completely haywire. He said that usually 70% of thyroid in cats is bilateral.

He is still in a stable condition, and he said he will try and get an x-ray from him today.
What he needs to know is if there is irrepairable damage to his heart from the thryoid, if it is enlarged and damaged then there isn't much to do, as he would never survive an anaesthetic to remove the other thyroid.

I am PRAYING that there isn't any damage to his heart, and it's all the thryoid, and he can keep being taken care of with oxygen to calm down and eventually have his thryoid removed. Once the thyroid is gone, his problem should be solved, but I am on tentahooks not knowing what his heart is going to be like.

I feel like a zombie and completely empty. I feel sick, and have a constant pain in the centre of my chest. I am just praying his heart is okay, and he can be cured.

I am waiting today for another phone call, I will post an update when I recieve any news.

orangemm
03-04-2008, 04:15 AM
We'll be praying very hard for Jack and you. Don't give up, miracles have happened around here.

((((hugs))))

jenluckenbach
03-04-2008, 05:00 AM
More prayers that Jack doesn't have permanent damage.

Anikaca77
03-04-2008, 06:45 AM
I'm sending along prays for Jack and you as well.

Take care.

CultureJunky
03-04-2008, 06:57 AM
The vet phoned around 11.30 this morning, he managed to get a concious X-ray this morning of Jack. However, the damage to his heart is just too bad and his breathing has deteriorated. He's gravely ill and there is nothing left to try for him now.

I will be going around 5.00pm this evening with Kevin and we will let him go to the bridge.

Thank you everybody for your kind thoughts, prayers and words, they have been a great source of comfort to me to read them, and know that people were thinking of Jack.

I know there is a crack in my heart that will never heal.

I will post in memorial soon as I know this will help the grieving process for us.

I will bury him in the garden by the fish pond, and plant a rose tree there for him. I will also buy a memorial plaque for him to put down.

I will never forget him, he has made me happier and given me more joyous, funny and happy moments in my life than I have ever had before. The times when I was with Jack were the happiest times I have ever had in my life, and I know eventually it is this I will remember about him.

Thank you everyone.

Kisses and headbutts to all your own furry friends and companions.

Kate, Kevin & Sunny xx

kittycats_delight
03-04-2008, 07:07 AM
Kate,

I am sitting here in tears. I know the pain you feel. I really do. And PT helped me so much went we lost our Lilith. There is nothing I can really say to take the pain away. Spend some time with him before he passes and tell him over and over again how much you love him. Tell him he has touched many hearts and there will be a huge welcoming committee of PT Angels waiting for his arrival. Tell him it is ok to let go. That you know he is hurts but you want him to feel good again. He will understand and thank you. You are giving to Jack to most loving thing you can give him...peace. Everytime a PT kitty is taken it reminds me so vividly of my own loses of my beloved pet angels. Know we will all be with you, Kevin, Sunny & Jack. May his passing be quick and peaceful.

(((((HUGS))))))
to you all.

Michelle

Medusa
03-04-2008, 07:29 AM
I'm so sorry to log on this morning and read this. I wish this wasn't happening for your sake and I wish Jack had more time w/you. Just know that everyone here on PT is praying for you and knows that Jack went peacefully to the Bridge. He's at peace now and you'll find peace soon as well. RIP, sweet Jack.

Freedom
03-04-2008, 07:45 AM
I am so sorry that this is the news. Praying that his passing will be peaceful. Hugs to you, Kevin and Sunny.

Laura's Babies
03-04-2008, 08:27 AM
LES here! I am SO sorry! May he rest in peace and you have the strength to recover from your loss..

moosmom
03-04-2008, 08:29 AM
I am so sorry for your loss.

((((((((HUGS)))))))))

Sonia59
03-04-2008, 08:41 AM
I am so sorry that nothing could be done for Jack. I know what you feel. RIP sweet and beautiful Jack.

Randi
03-04-2008, 08:58 AM
I am in tears too and very sorry to hear that Jack can't make it. :( :( It will be so hard to say goodbye, but I know that is what he would want in this situation. He will be free of pain and not suffer anymore. You have done so much for him and I'm sure he is thankful for that. Keep him in your heart forever and try to think of the good times you had. The pain will lessen in time.

I will keep you in my thougts on this sad day, and I hope Jack will have a peaceful journey to the RB.

Rest in peace, sweet Jack!

Big hugs to you.

emily_the_spoiled
03-04-2008, 09:07 AM
I am so sorry for what you are going through today. It has now been one month (to the day) since Emily passed over. She can meet him at the entrance and show him the "ropes".

Sleep well Jack and wait for meowmie

Donnaj4962
03-04-2008, 09:18 AM
LES here. I have been praying for sweet Jack, and I will continue my prayers that his trip to the RB is a peaceful one. Godspeed little one, and many (((hugs))) to your Meowmie. She did all that she could for you. RIP Jack, RIP.

catmandu
03-04-2008, 09:38 AM
The Pet Angels Are Gathering In Tasmania To Recieve The Spirit Of Your Dear Friend Jack Into Thier Fold And There Will Be A Picnic From The Porch Angels In His Honor.
He Will Explore The World With The Pet Angels And Find A Place Where He And His Loved Ones Will Rendezvous.
We Are Sorry For Your Loss , You Will See Jack Again.
One Fine Day.

Taz_Zoee
03-04-2008, 09:55 AM
((tears falling)) I was hoping to come on and see good news about Jack. I am so sorry this is happening. I have lost many cats in my life, but none are as close as my Taz is to me. When that time comes I will take comfort in knowing he is in a better place and that I have all of the wonderful people here at PT to support me and console me. We are all here to help each other through things like this.
Hugs to you, Kevin and Sunny.

Killearn Kitties
03-04-2008, 10:10 AM
I am so very very sorry that it has come to this. You really did do all that you possibly could have done for your adorable boy. He will be very sadly missed.

My thoughts will be with you later. Please take care.

jennielynn1970
03-04-2008, 10:17 AM
I am so sorry that it is ending like this for Jack. I was thinking about him last night, holding my Calloway, and talking to him about the wonderful stories we heard on here about him.

May Jack be at peace, feel no pain, and travel quickly to the bridge. My deepest sympathies are going out to you at this time. It is just so tragic it had to come to this.

Big Hugs to you, and may you find peace in your time of sorrow and grieving.
Love, Jennie and kitties

cassiesmom
03-04-2008, 11:01 AM
I am so sorry for your loss.

((((((((HUGS)))))))))

The same here. LES here. Sweet Jack.

orangemm
03-04-2008, 11:13 AM
Just remember we are here for you and we share your loss and grief. Any of us could be in the same situation anytime. We all know how much it hurts; just reading your posts and all the replies brings tears to my eyes and pain in my heart.

Jack sweetie, play hard at the bridge; maybe you'll see my Mikey or Timmy there. :(

(((((hugs)))))

kittycats_delight
03-04-2008, 11:31 AM
Thinking of you Kate, Kevin, Sunny & Jack. Time is nigh for you to be happy and painfree sweetheart. Rest easy and pass peacefully into the hands of God. Let your mummy know you have arrived with a sign ok sweetie.

((((HUGS))))

Michelle & the kits.

Catty1
03-04-2008, 11:31 AM
Dear, dear Jack. I am so sorry. And I wish the other vet had given you more information so you knew what was happening. :(

Love and hug him, he knows his humans, and will be comforted. I pray it will be peaceful for him.

{{{{hugs}}}}

Oh, God...I am so sad about this for you....

krazyaboutkatz
03-04-2008, 11:45 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this sad news.:( He knows that he is very much loved and that you've done everything that you could for him. I hope that he passes peacefully. You'll remain in my thoughts and prayers. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

Anikaca77
03-04-2008, 12:13 PM
Oh Kate,

My prays are with you and your family and especially Jack.

It's never easy, my prays. You did all you could for Jack. He knows that. Hugs and Prays.

Melissa

Scooter's Mom
03-04-2008, 12:22 PM
I have not posted here before now. I am so very sorry to hear the latest news. Jack knows you have done everything you could, and he loves you very much. My sincere condolences go out to you.

Sending prayers,

smokey the elder
03-04-2008, 12:43 PM
I'm so sorry about Jack.

CultureJunky
03-04-2008, 12:47 PM
Jack passed away to the bridge about 5.15pm. He is now laid to rest in our garden, a place he loved to sit in the sun, and nose around and relax in his territory. I am going to buy a rose bush to plant where he is.

I said goodbye to him, and held him in my arms and told him everything I had to say, how much I'll miss him, how much I love him, that one day I will see him again, and we can have kisses and cuddles all over again, and never be apart ever.

Thank you everybody for being so supportive. I am so glad that Jack touched your hearts, as he did to all who were fortunate to meet him, or hear my stories about him.

Kate

orangemm
03-04-2008, 01:10 PM
Godspeed, Jack...you will always be loved.

Catsnclay
03-04-2008, 01:18 PM
Oh Kate!

As I sit here with tears streaming down my face, I can feel your pain...... it does tear a piece of your heart out when one of your "children" passes, and it does hurt, but be at peace knowing that Jack is not suffering any more.

Please don't beat yourself up with the "I could have done......I should have done....." all that will not help because you already DID the best for Jack.

Jack also knows that you did everything for him, and he greatly appreciates all your love and help. You will hear that from him one day.

My heart goes out to you and your family. Jack is playing at the Ranibow Bridge right now - pain free. Keep thinking good thoughts for him. He knows that you loved him dearly.

Crying for you....... Bunny & kitties

momtomany
03-04-2008, 02:15 PM
Prayers for you and Jack. I am so sorry.
Please don't second guess yourself. We all do the best we can, and you did the best you could. Whatever the outcome, Jack was loved dearly.

Anikaca77
03-04-2008, 02:59 PM
Prays will be continued as you go through this difficult time.

Play little one over the bridge.

(HUGS)

Melissa

Tora Oni
03-04-2008, 03:24 PM
Dear Kate
I know what going through too b/c this last Valentines day we had to put my dog down since we think he had some brain tumor or something, either way he was just to sick for us to care for him. Poor Jack, I'm sure he knows how much you loved him and loved you for that all that much more. You must have had a special bond with him like Clifford and I had and a bond like that will never be forgotten. Prayers be with you and Kevin, for your loss.

phesina
03-04-2008, 04:23 PM
I am so very, very sorry. My deepest sympathy to you for the loss of your beloved Jack.

Hugs and purrs,
Pat and cats

critter crazy
03-04-2008, 04:35 PM
I am so sorry!! RIP Jack!:(

kuhio98
03-04-2008, 05:27 PM
Gentle Jack ~ We will never forget you. You have touch all our hearts.

jenluckenbach
03-04-2008, 07:43 PM
I am so sorry. :( I sit here, crying with you. I feel the pain. Such a tragic loss. RIP dear little Jack. You will always be loved and remembered.

DJFyrewolf36
03-05-2008, 02:20 AM
*HUGS* to you...I am so sorry for your loss. I am sorry I haven't found this until now, but my thoughts are with you and your family.

RIP dear Jack.

GILL
03-05-2008, 11:47 AM
The Crew and I are so sorry for your loss. At lest you'll have the memories.