PDA

View Full Version : Catnapper's Secret

catnapper
02-29-2008, 03:33 PM
Victoria might have a secret, but I do too! I hate hate hate shopping for new underwear. But with all things in life, there comes a time when you HAVE to go shopping for underwear. With my recent weight loss, my current underwear isn't doing its job any longer. So I set forth this afternoon in the search for a perfect bra. I wasn't victorious.

Why can't I find a bra that is:
* Supportive without being constrictive?
* Pretty in my size (I need big-mama-boulder-holders)
* Comfortable without allowing the "girls" to bounce too much
* Affordable (I need at least 4 new bras since I'm basically buying a whole new underwear wardrobe, and $20 a piece is a major investment!)

So now I'm home, frustrated by the realization that I have embarked on the quest for the modern-day Holy Grail. Can I be the only woman who feels t his way? I swear the only ones who actually fit into some of the contraptions I tried on this afternoon are the very same women who don't actually need a bra to support their assets.

Ok, rant over, and I feel much better. I think I'll go take a shower and map out my plan of attack for the next shopping trip.

BUT, I did find some new clothes in REGULAR SIZED STORES! So I guess my shopping outing wasn't all bust... get it? Bust. Ha! I crack myself up :p

Cincy'sMom
02-29-2008, 03:41 PM
I am with you! I hate, hate hate bra shopping!!! And regular bras are bad enough, but then there is the whole sports bra issue. And don't get me start on strapless, or backless either!! I feel your pain!!!

Congrats on buying regular sized clothes! It is a great feeling isn't? I was borderline, which made it really hard to find pants that fit, but now am back in "misses" sizes. So much easier!!

Laura's Babies
02-29-2008, 03:55 PM
It is hard to find bra's that fit right and are comfortable without paying a arm and a leg for them and I am like you, I don't want to pay a arm and a leg for them since the water on the boat that we have to wash clothes is not meant for "delicates" and ruins them.

Congrats on your weight loss!! I know that wasn't easy so GOOD JOB Kim!

Rie Rie
02-29-2008, 03:57 PM
If you want a good supportive bra, you will have to fork over a little more money than you're used to spending. I'd been wearing the wrong size bra for way too many years and I finally went to Dillard's and got measured for the right size and was surprised at the difference the right bra made. They are a little pricey, but well worth the money.
Happy Shopping!!!

Husky_mom
02-29-2008, 03:57 PM
apparently I have a ticket for the same boat trip :p LOL

I feel my tiem is coming to as some of mine have become more "loose" than usual...LOL they just lost their grip hehe

I hate that thereīs no one bra manufacturer that has come yet with the one that complies all of our needs.... seems like most of them are made for people who donīt need them or might use them for "stuffing" LOL (sorry no offense to those less voluptuos, but I feel itīs more easier for you to find one that fits)

the ones that fit are ugly
the ones that are pretty donīt fit
the ones that are pretty and seem to fit... usually stop doing after a few uses
others just canīt keep up with the work
some are like I want to call them..."torture" for the girls
and
I havenīt found yet in more than 20 years a good strapless bra that stays in place, holds and is pretty without deforming the lil passesngers......LOL

donīt get me started on prices.... :rolleyes:

lizbud
02-29-2008, 04:13 PM
If you want a good supportive bra, you will have to fork over a little more money than you're used to spending. I'd been wearing the wrong size bra for way too many years and I finally went to Dillard's and got measured for the right size and was surprised at the difference the right bra made. They are a little pricey, but well worth the money.
Happy Shopping!!!

I believe you're right about the more expensive bras being better fitting.

or, so I'm told by friends. I don't need to hunt to much for my size. :p

Freedom
02-29-2008, 04:16 PM
Just be thankful that you are doing this because you LOST weight.

Last time I had to replace the entire underwear wardrobe was just a few months ago and it was . . . not for that reason. :rolleyes:

kittycats_delight
02-29-2008, 04:17 PM
I found some really nice (pretty), well fitting and affordable bras at walmart while I was in Canada. I too need big-mama-boulder-holders. They had them all the way up to 50DDD that were really pretty. I figure if Walmart canada carries them then walmart usa must too.

here are the search results (http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_constraint=5438&search_query=bra&Find.x=0&Find.y=0&Find=Find&ic=24_0)

This one goes up to a 42DD (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=6005057)

This one as well (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=6005047)

upto 44DDD (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4570774)

upto a 48DD (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5244250)

And there are a ton more in the first link for the search.

Good Luck I hope you can find something. :)

pitc9
02-29-2008, 04:21 PM
Let me start by saying that I am NOT the same size as Victoria Beckam a.k.a. Posh Spice. Well... let's be truthful and say that I'm more than twice her size... wait.. what would be 3 times a size Zero?? Hummm..
Anyway.. a few years back I was asked to be matron of honor in my friends wedding and because I was the ..oh lets say... most curvy girl in the wedding party the bride left the final decision up to me on the bridal party dresses. There we were... 8 girls all trying on dresses at a bridal shop and every one of the other girls fell in love with a strapless dress. It was beautiful but I was worried about finding a bra. (the bride herself was VERY busty) so she told me not to worry that she had a bra that she bought for a past wedding that I could use. She told me that she paid $85 for the bra and only used it ONCE!!
I borrowed it and it was GREAT! "The girls" never moved, stayed where they need to stay and I never fudged with it the entire day!
(it was a corset type of thingy, so it was also a gut sucker)

Bottom line (after all that blabbering)
Why... WHY do we women have to pay out the wa-zoo to look and or feel good!!! I wait for the sale at Lane Bryant when I can get my bra's buy one get one 50% off. But they're $49.50 a piece to start with!

I'm sure it's not a man behind it all because if it was a man, they would make things that make us look better cheaper so we all could afford to look great all the time!

Husky_mom
02-29-2008, 04:28 PM
I'm sure it's not a man behind it all because if it was a man, they would make things that make us look better cheaper so we all could afford to look great all the time!

LMAO!!... true.... very true... LOL

now that you mention it I bought one similar to the one you described for my wedding (my dress wasnīt strapless but off shoulder) and it costed me around 50 adn have never used it again.....well, at least it fullfilled the requirement for that day :rolleyes: ....

Iīll have to dig up for it in the closet to see if it still fits after a child... :p

chocolatepuppy
02-29-2008, 04:30 PM
Can I be the only woman who feels t his way?
You're not alone. I hate bra shopping and it's sure something I can't be without! :p When your bra is uncomfortable, you're miserable. :rolleyes:

big-mama-boulder-holders.
lmao! :D

Pawsitive Thinking
02-29-2008, 04:33 PM
Let's just say that some kind soul once pointed out that I would never "fall flat on my face"

I grew out instead of up so feel your pain :D

catnapper
02-29-2008, 04:54 PM
I'm so glad others feel my pain! :p

Thankfully I live next to the outlets.... I CAN buy good bras for $12 and under. Its a Vanity Fair outlet so its good quality. Found two I liked for $6 in strange colors. I might go back tomorrow to buy them if I realize purple and green swirls won't kill me ;) I am a white or beige bra kinda girl. I have one teal one from Wal-Mart years ago - I only wear it when I'm completely out of clean laundry. I also found some great ones for $9 in a pretty lacey beige.... problem with them is that they're either a cup size too large or small or the band is one size off. Would it be that hard for them to have my size in the clearance section? Really!!!

Another Bra shopping hazzard:
I forgot to mention that they also provide the world's smallest changing rooms... so I was twisting and turning in this tiny cubical, tripping over my coat and hunting down the bra I walked into the cubicle with. They would surely make a fortune off a comedy just about bra shopping.

caseysmom
02-29-2008, 05:18 PM
I just bought this online a while back and I love it, it is pricey. I have the large problem also :D

http://www5.jcpenney.com/jcp/Products.aspx?ItemID=1295c75&ItemTyp=G&GrpTyp=SIZ&ShowMenu=T&ShopBy=0&SearchString=coral+bra&RefPage=SearchDepartment.aspx&CmCatId=SearchResults&Search1Prod=True

Pawsitive Thinking
02-29-2008, 05:23 PM
I have the large problem also

Some people pay a fortune to suffer like we do :D

Catsnclay
02-29-2008, 07:09 PM
Ok, so I am the exacxt opposite of everyone so far........ I have NO boobs, but I need a bra to pull in, push up, and do whatever it takes to make my little girls pop out! :D

I can't find a bra that does everything I want it to....VS advertises great ones, but never in my size. OR.... if it is in my size I can hardly breath in the #$%^&%$^ thing!!!!

And when you finally do find a bra, after spending big $$$, once you wash it - it never fits the same again!!! ARGH!!!

So us 'little girls' have the same problem, just the opposite of you 'big girls'!!!

Karen
02-29-2008, 07:17 PM
I boycott any bras that have wire in them - I do not do pain for beauty's sake, and haven't found any with "support wires" that didn't hurt. When I find one that fits, and is comfortable, I go back and buy several more - whatever colors they have! As for them not fitting after a washing, buy one that fits at its largest hook setting, as anything elastic stretches, and then you've still got two more options. I am somewhat large in the ribcage probably due to being an asthmatic child, so matching band and cup size is always a challenge. They tend to think if my rib cage is that size, I must be hauling watermelons or something, I guess.

kitten645
02-29-2008, 07:19 PM
[QUOTE=catnapper]
I only wear it when I'm completely out of clean laundry.

This made me laugh. I just spoke to my brother who informed me he had to buy underwear on his way home from work because he was "down to his Spiderman Undroo's" ROFL. When I get to my hot pink undies, I know it's time to do a load!

In regards to the bra dilema, I did the same thing. But I went to Victoria's Secret and got measured. Once I knew my size, I bought one bra everytime I could afford it. They are a small mint but so worth it and they last forever!
C

Catlady711
02-29-2008, 07:23 PM
I have the same problem finding styles I like. And to add fuel to the fire of my hatered of shopping for those @($*%^ things evertime I find a style/manufacturer I can stand, the next time I have to go shopping again they've either discontinued my style, or 'improved' it to the point it cuts into my skin! GRRRRR! :mad:

You all do realize those prison things we call bras were invented by a man don't you? LOL

joycenalex
02-29-2008, 10:39 PM
...okay, here goes, since my surgery, my "girls' are quite a bit smaller and more "perky". i made an appointment at macys', you can go to any good quality department store, macys', hudsons, goldwaters' von maur, dillards ect. call the lingerie section and there is always some slightly older female who can and will do the proper fitting. make an appointment. she will measure under your breasts against your rib cage, comfortably snug, not tight enough to make 'overhang' anywhere. then over the nipples the difference in inches is the cup size. she'll get two or 3 styles, wireless, racer back (strap angled towards the center not straight up and down)or what ever type you want to try on. when you find one that you like fit and it feels good on you and (this is important....) it looks good under the snuggish white tshirt that you bring with you, you'll be able to find a good supportive bra. i got one to wash and one to wear. i like lands end ones, they hold up well to machine washing, but line drying, the fabric feels soft against my skin and the prices, especially on the saturday overstock sale days are very good. the support comes from the band and the cups, and in my case the underwires. the support is not from the shoulder strap,( trench shoulder hurts. ) and some mammography centers, mine does, have bra fitters on staff as well. women who have had mastectomies or reconstruction for whatever reason (surgery or burns for example) can be also served. when you know your correct size, you can buy properly fitted and well supportive bras that will make your clothes look better and make your shoulders and neck hurt much less. the prices are still a bite tho', so i go on line to search out the extra ones when i know the model number and size of the bali i like.

dukedogsmom
02-29-2008, 11:17 PM
Karen, I boycott bras! I have no girls and I only wear bras when I have to, like at work. If I could afford it, I would buy some. Maybe I should start a donation fund here or even a website? Come on, I know ya'll must feel sorry for me.

jennielynn1970
03-01-2008, 01:05 AM
I hate bra shopping. I'm a plus sized woman, but I DON'T have plus sized boobs.... that is so NOT fair!!! Try finding a 44B when you're out shopping. It's just not happening! I know I had an easier time when I was thinner, but lord knows when I'll be there again. I can't shop at Victoria's because they don't go up that high in band size, and when I go to Lane Bryant, even the Bs seem huge on me. Sigh....

Kater
03-01-2008, 01:25 AM
Oh boy, my favorite rant! Living in Hawaii means that I'm in the boulder-having minority LOLOL - BUT once I find a bra I like (the hard part!!!) I buy them up on eBay.
I have agree with Cincy'sMom who mentioned sports bras as a big challenge...uughhh.

Alright, I feel better now. :o

carole
03-01-2008, 02:58 AM
Believe me it is just as bad down under, i hate bra shopping with a passion, i don't know if you have the brand fayreform in the states,it may even come from there, but they sell pretty bra's in nice colours and all sizes from small to rather large,they are expensive here at 39.95,but i swear they are the only one's that do it for me,and here i was thinking i was the only one who had trouble finding a decent,well fitting bra, i remember some years ago i was professionally fitted for one,oh the horror,and it was the worst bra i have ever owned, infact it still sits in the cupboard,not worn, talk about bad fitting and uncomfortable.

jennielynn1970
03-01-2008, 03:56 AM
This site has a TON of size options...
Bare Necessities (http://www.barenecessities.com/sitemapbybrasize.asp)

Pam
03-01-2008, 06:02 AM
OK I have just found out that I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer. I was wondering why the title was *Catnapper's Secret* and it just dawned on me that it was a play on VS. :o (I originally thought it was because the topic was *adult material* LOL! :p ) Anyway, great idea for a thread! I have been wearing Bali soft cup bras for years. Hey, when you find something that works you stick with it! Bra shopping is pretty easy for me because I just wait until they go on sale (usually Kohl's or Boscov's) and then load up. I love the buy one/get one sales and sometimes there are mail-in rebates involved to. I don't like any kind of padding or wires. UGH! How in the world can people stand wires? I would change only if I could find a bra just like it but with wider straps.

joycenalex
03-01-2008, 06:17 AM
pam, balis' are my second favorite brand. BUT, those new "petals" on the soft cups....whats up with that? and why did the marketing 'boys' think it was worth the design? yeesh.

catnapper
03-01-2008, 06:58 AM
I had no idea people considered wires uncomfortable.... its all I can wear! I find the non-wired ones horribly uncomfortable. I NEVER go without my bra. Never. I sleep in it too. I am not going to give gravity any help in making anything migrate to my belly button like my mom! :p

pitc9
03-01-2008, 07:16 AM
I NEVER go without my bra. Never. I sleep in it too.

Ouch! I can't do that! The second I get the chance to (when no one's around) I take it off! Being a 44DD I need to keep the girls in check, but give them their freedom while sleeping.

(insert song here... Do your "ears" hang low do they wobble to and fro....)
:o Sorry....

Sports bras... what are those? :p I've not been able to wear one in years!
I've found them in my size, but I'm not going to pay $40 for a comfy bra. Sometimes I wear a tank top that I have that's a few sizes to small for me, that kind of works. I don't go out in public with it on, but it keeps "the girls" somewhat under control when I'm cleaning the house, or just lounging around.

I've never worn a bra without wire... actually I've never even tried on one without wire. I don't find the wire uncomfortable except when it breaks through and pokes me! :mad:

BitsyNaceyDog
03-01-2008, 07:41 AM
I'm in the same boat, Kim. I need to go bra shopping this weekend and I'm not looking forward to it. I find wires perfectly comfortable and prefer them too. My problem with wires (and the reason I need to go bra shopping this weekend) is the wires always break out of the bras.

I need to find a good strapless bra to wear for my sister's wedding (I'm the maid of honor). I also have to be sure to find something that will hold up with Nathan pulling, tugging, and climbing on me at the reception.

chocolatepuppy
03-01-2008, 07:45 AM
I NEVER go without my bra. Never. I sleep in it too.
Same here, only my 'lounging' bras are comfy, cheap and uh, don't hold things up as good but still, the twins won't be sitting on my feet all evening. ;)

(insert song here... Do your "ears" hang low do they wobble to and fro....)
Angie, another song comes to mind, John Anderson's, 'just a-swinging!' :D

Maybe I should start a donation fund here or even a website? Come on, I know ya'll must feel sorry for me.
Sure Val, I'll send ya a drawer full of hardly worn ones that are too uncomfortable! :p

joycenalex
03-01-2008, 01:21 PM
and for all of you "youngsters", a woman named rusty warren who in the late 1960s' wrote and recorded a song called...."Bounce your b&&bies", look it up, listen and laugh.

Grace
03-01-2008, 01:35 PM
This site has a TON of size options...
Bare Necessities (http://www.barenecessities.com/sitemapbybrasize.asp)

That's a wonderful resource site, Jenn.

Would any of you feel comfortable wearing this one - Backless Bra (http://www.barenecessities.com/Maidenform-Breakthrough-Backless-Underwire-Bra_product_Maidenform7445_,search,38B.htm)

cyber-sibes
03-01-2008, 01:46 PM
I feel your pain, too.
Right before I lost all this weight, I spent a day shopping & bought a greatl new bra that actually fit comfortably. Saved it for under "nice" outfits.... and now, 40 lbs. lighter, and I'm swimming in the darn thing. I've been putting off buying a really good one again. But, I was shopping for slacks & when I looked in that 3-way mirror in the dressing room & saw my bottoms sagging down, I was appalled & got those replaced asap! (I was embarrassed for that poor girl in the mirror, lol!) It's easier to find ones that fit than finding a bra, for sure.

BUT, I did find some new clothes in REGULAR SIZED STORES! So I guess my shopping outing wasn't all bust... get it? Bust. Ha! I crack myself up :p
I'm also thrilled I can fit in regular sizes now.... and you crack me up too! :D

KYS
03-01-2008, 01:53 PM
Pam your to funny. ;)
I find that VS bras run small and they are not cheap. I only buy their bras when they have their annual sale.
I like Playtex secrets airform bra, very comfortable under-wire and well priced
around $20.00.
Unfortunately after reading this thread I checked them out on the Internet.
Looks like they are discontinuing them? Good thing I stocked up on them.

Taz_Zoee
03-01-2008, 02:17 PM
I have been purchasing my bras at Nordstroms for MANY years now (before it was all hyped up by Oprah even). They are VERY expensive, but I buy two or three and they last me a couple years as long as my weight doesn't change (LOL). I always get underwire (I never like wires until Nordstroms) and they never break through and poke me.
I used to have every department store credit card I could possibly have. I have closed all of them, except Nordi's. I kept that one so I can charge my bras and pay for them slowly. They are worth it to pay up to $60 for a good bra. They say you should rotate your bra so the elasticity does not get stretched out. So I have a nude and black one right now. I wear the nude under lighter tops and black under darker ones.
I even had to have my bras altered before because I was skinny around and big up front (not the case anymore:(, now I'm big all over). Also, when they take your measurements and decide on what size you'll be that doesn't mean you can go out and try on that size in all the bras. I've had 20 bras brought in all in the same size and only 5 fit me correctly. Each brand fits differently. I have had great success with getting fitted and purchasing my bras at Nordstroms. :) Not that I enjoy it, but it must be done.

Uabassoon
03-01-2008, 02:29 PM
I also hate bra shopping! My biggest problem is that I have large girls, but I'm petite so I have a small bandwith. About two years ago I went and got measured at victorias secret and tried on almost every bra in the store. I finally found one I love, it is the most plain and cheapest bra that they offer. I now have 10 of them in assorted colors. It's been nice not having to worry about trying to find the perfect bra since I finally found it.

Pam
03-01-2008, 03:04 PM
Little tip here (learned it from my mom).....don't put your bras in the dryer. It shortens their life because the heat wreaks havoc on the elastic over time. Bottom line...they last longer. Thanks Mom. ;)

Taz_Zoee
03-01-2008, 03:27 PM
Little tip here (learned it from my mom).....don't put your bras in the dryer. It shortens their life because the heat wreaks havoc on the elastic over time. Bottom line...they last longer. Thanks Mom. ;)
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that in my thread. I wash mine in a mesh bag and then let it hang dry. You're not even supposed to wash them in the washer. They recommend hand washing, but I don't have time for that. LOL The garment bag thing is for delicates, things with beading or other ornaments.

jennielynn1970
03-01-2008, 03:29 PM
Well, due to insomnia last night, I was watching tv in the wee hours of the morning, and they had a show on the one channel called "The secret life of the Bra". It was actually really interesting. They also said that a bra worn every day only lasts for 3 MONTHS!!! OMG... I can't imagine going bra shopping every 3 months!

I cannot imagine wearing that backless bra! How does it even stay in place?!

I guess I'm kinda spoiled since I live by myself, and have for years, and as soon as I'm home from work, off comes the bra, and it doesn't go back on till I have to leave the house! :p Maybe being a B is a good thing! :rolleyes:

Husky_mom
03-01-2008, 08:51 PM
They also said that a bra worn every day only lasts for 3 MONTHS!!! OMG... I can't imagine going bra shopping every 3 months!

LMAO!!... then I have ben putting off years and years of bra shopping...

LOL.... when I find one that I "like" and is "comfortable" I tend to buy 3-4 and have them last until they rip apart.. (literally)....

*LabLoverKEB*
03-01-2008, 09:10 PM
I also hate bra shopping! My biggest problem is that I have large girls, but I'm petite so I have a small bandwith.
I have the SAME PROBLEM!! My mother and I have been talking about a breast reduction for me.... I really want to do it... but I am SOOOO scared to death! I know 3 people who have done it, and had great results, and they did fine... I HATE HATE HATE bra shopping! Every time I go, I come out of the store in tears!

krazyaboutkatz
03-01-2008, 09:11 PM
I don't go bra shopping very often because when I do I buy about 4-5 bras so that I can rotate them. I've also always hand washed and air dried them so they last a long time. Although I'm almost 5'10", I don't have very much on top so the largest bra I've ever worn is only a 36B and I don't even fill this out completely. I'm probably more like a 35B but they don't make this size and if they do it would probably cost me too muchto have it specially made. My problem is that when there's a bra sale my size is usually almost gone because I have to compete with all of the more petite women too.

I've always worn underwire bras and I find them comfortable. Sometimes my straps will get loose so I have to adjust them. I actually prefer to wear a bra because it makes me look like I have more than I actually have. I never wear one to bed though. When I used to go out to clubs, I would wear the wonder bra and some other victoria secet bras that would make me appear larger on top than I actually am. I hate being pear shaped. I'd much rather be larger on top than on the bottom.

Catsnclay
03-03-2008, 09:20 PM
Sorry, but I just received this and thought of this thread!!!!!

cid:[email protected]

AND, just a thought for all the women out there........

MENtal illness, MENstrual cramps, MENtal breakdown,

MENopause............

Ever notice how all of women's problems start with men?.........And

When we have real trouble it's HISterectomy!!!!

Send this to all women to have a laugh AND, don't! forget to have a mammogram!!!!!!

A Friend Is Like A Good Bra...

Hard to Find

Supportive

Comfortable

Always Lifts You Up

Never Lets You Down or Leaves You Hanging

And Is Always Close To Your Heart!!!

Share this with a friend!

I DID

Cookiebaker
03-03-2008, 09:46 PM
hehe Can I share my bra story?

I hate, hate, hate bra shopping, too. A few years ago, it was nearing a desperate situation, and I *finally* got up the courage to go, and did some shopping during VS big annual sale. I found *FIVE* bras that I liked and fit very well. I was so excited to get them washed so that I could wear them. At the time, our washer was in our mudroom and I put them in the bottom of an empty laundry hamper that happened to be sitting next to a pile of styrofoam waiting to be thrown out.

Monday morning was trash pickup day, so my darling husband was cleaning stuff out, and to make it easier, he put the styrofoam in the *almost* empty laundry hamper to haul to the end of the driveway easier.

Yep, you guessed it. There went my *FIVE* brand new bras out with the trash.

I was mad at first, but now we laugh about it. And I still hate to go bra shopping.

pitc9
03-04-2008, 08:02 AM
OMG.. he threw them all away!! LOL!
I hope you made him go to VS by himself and buy you 5 more!! LOL!

The backles bra that Grace posted, that wouldn't work for me at ALL!!

Taz - Are you talking about le mystere bras? If so, check out E-Bay! I just bought one for less than $30! New with tags!!! :eek: