PDA

View Full Version : Slow site

BC_MoM
02-29-2008, 11:56 AM
I'm not sure why, but PT has been going so slow for me for about the past week. It isn't my connection, as every other site I frequent is fine. But I often find myself getting up and walking away and doing something else while a page loads.

Is this happening to anyone else?

Karen
02-29-2008, 01:33 PM
I will talk with Paul about it.

anna_66
03-14-2008, 09:38 PM
I had to bring this back up again to see if it is only Robin and I that are having trouble.
It's taking forever to load.

Karen
03-14-2008, 09:40 PM
Every once it a while that happens for me, and at other times it is fine ... We will be moving to a different server at some point.

Ginger's Mom
03-15-2008, 06:23 AM
It is better this morning. Last night was the worst I have ever experienced for loading times. I was on for fifteen minutes was only able to open one thread in that time.

moosmom
03-15-2008, 10:38 AM
Karen,

Yeah, me too.

RedHedd
03-15-2008, 11:03 AM
Me three. I had to give up entirely last night. I'm trying again this morning. For some reason I was logged out, even though I have the box checked to remember me, I haven't cleared cookies or anything - maybe I ate some :p, but it's slow again this morning :(

Jessika
03-15-2008, 12:02 PM
It's been going slow for me for the past few months when other sites would load very quickly, but moreso the last few days. Sometimes it takes so long the connection times out. I guess PT is just getting too big the server can't handle us ;)

Karen I'd offer to host on my reseller, but I have a feeling PT may be bigger than I can give, maybe not necessarily space-wise but definitely bandwidth. :(

Karen
03-15-2008, 01:03 PM
It's been going slow for me for the past few months when other sites would load very quickly, but moreso the last few days. Sometimes it takes so long the connection times out. I guess PT is just getting too big the server can't handle us ;)

Karen I'd offer to host on my reseller, but I have a feeling PT may be bigger than I can give, maybe not necessarily space-wise but definitely bandwidth. :(

Thanks for the offer, but Pet Talk needs its own server because of the bandwidth,. We have one lined up, but it is a lot of time and work to move it over. When we do so, you'll see a notice from Paul, because he will have to take Pet Talk offline for a period of time.

chocolatepuppy
03-15-2008, 01:55 PM
It's taking forever to load
Same here sometimes :(

will have to take Pet Talk offline for a period of time.
*gulp* :eek:

thanks for all you do for us Karen and Paul. :)

krazyaboutkatz
03-15-2008, 03:08 PM
I'm glad to hear that it's not just me. I really noticed it this past Tues. morning. I just had to give up. I have comcast HSI and I just switched to blast which is their fastest speed. Even this hasn't seemed to help.:( I hope that the transition over to the new server will go smoothly.:)

wolf_Q
03-16-2008, 12:18 AM
I've had the same problem, it often freezes up for quite a long time and won't load. Other websites work fine.

smokey the elder
03-16-2008, 07:44 AM
Friday it was loading glacially for me, too. I just thought it was the work (shh! :p ) server being poopy.

.sarah
03-17-2008, 06:21 PM
I haven't been around much lately, and some of that is because the site is sooo slow for me. I don't sit at the computer much, I'm very ADD and have to get up and do stuff and then check back after a while, so it's hard for me to have the patience to view through the threads I want to see. I thought my computer just didn't want me visiting this website ;) It's been going slow for me for a long time though - probably 1.5-2 months at least.

Medusa
03-25-2008, 07:34 AM
Yes, I often experience this. Sometimes I have to give up completely.

lizbud
03-27-2008, 04:05 PM
I tried to get into PT to post on a thread but, after 15min , I finally gave
up. :( I could display POTD&COTD & DOTD, but could not post to any thread.

All other sites I visited loaded just fine. This was about 1:30pm today.

Was PT down today?

Ginger's Mom
03-27-2008, 04:13 PM
I tried to get into PT to post on a thread but, after 15min , I finally gave
up. :( I could display POTD&COTD & DOTD, but could not post to any thread.

All other sites I visited loaded just fine. This was about 1:30pm today.

Was PT down today?
Yeah, I couldn't get into any threads on my lunch hour either. And when I did finally get on it said there were only 24 users online, you know there is a problem when there are only 24 people who can get into Pet Talk. When I came back a few minutes later it said there were 229 people (or something like that) logged on.

Randi
03-27-2008, 04:19 PM
I also couldn't get on a few hours ago, but it seems to be OK now. :)

Karen and Paul, perhaps with the change you are going to make, it would be good time to put a limit to the size of images. They must take up a huge amount of space.

Karen
03-27-2008, 04:52 PM
We were not online at that time, so didn't know about the slow-down until we saw your posts. It seems okay now.

Randi, the images are stored differently in this version of the software. I don;t know how the new server with affect that, but it handles the images much better now than it used to. Most people post images that are hosted elsewhere, unless they post them as attachments and I think that's now a separate database.

lizbud
03-27-2008, 05:06 PM
We were not online at that time, so didn't know about the slow-down until we saw your posts. It seems okay now.

Randi, the images are stored differently in this version of the software. I don;t know how the new server with affect that, but it handles the images much better now than it used to. Most people post images that are hosted elsewhere, unless they post them as attachments and I think that's now a separate database.

Images can eat up space but this was not just slow response, it was
actually little to no response. I figured it was just a blip & would clear
up later. It was awful. :( :( Don't you all feel sorry for me now? :D

momoffuzzyfaces
03-27-2008, 05:17 PM
Images can eat up space but this was not just slow response, it was
actually little to no response. I figured it was just a blip & would clear
up later. It was awful. :( :( Don't you all feel sorry for me now? :D
I was having the same problem you were so we are in the same cup of tea there! :D

Karen
03-27-2008, 05:21 PM
I was having the same problem you were so we are in the same cup of tea there! :D

Sometimes it has to do with our server, but some slowdowns can be because of a connection somewhere between you and our server, the Internet goes through several nodes and "portals" and what they do is beyond our control!

Awww, poor Liz. Feel better now? ;)

Ginger's Mom
03-28-2008, 07:08 PM
I just spent about an hour trying to get onto Pet Talk and couldn't, although I see there was activity during that period, so the site was up. But definitely not letting me on.

Karen
03-30-2008, 07:56 PM
We just had to restart the server, Sunday evening at 8:50 P.m. East Coast time, so in case you were having trouble, that is what happened this time.

elizabethann
04-15-2008, 02:12 PM
And all this time I thought it was my computer.

Sometimes I go to respond to a thread and it takes forever and ever to get to the next screen. What I end up doing is 1) cancelling the response all together and going to another pet related website or 2) clicking the submit button again and that takes me to the screen that says I'm being redirected (or something like that). That usually gets my response submitted.

So I've been wanting to respond to a lot of threads, but I just don't have the patience. I very spoiled and want immediate results I guess. ;)

Logan
04-16-2008, 12:09 PM
In my case, it is our home computer that is the problem. My posting and reading at Pet Talk has been dramatically affected by the problem, too.

Karen, you will remember that we talked about this a long time ago. I am at home right now, as a matter of fact. From our laptop that I would normally post from in the mornings and evenings, I couldn't post this (well, I could, eventually, but I would wait a long time). Same internet connection on this laptop (wireless), which I am using as I prop on my pillows against the heating pad, and I can post and move around easily. From this computer and the one I have at work, I've had no problems. Only problem is that when I'm working, I'm working and can't come in here.