PDA

View Full Version : Grrr. Kids and Dogs.

wolf_Q
08-19-2002, 04:47 PM
Ok, we have a pretty big yard, fenced, which is wooden on all sides except one. One side is chain link fence. They have kids, eh, I don't even know how many. They think Reggie and Smokey are scarey. When I first got Nebo they were all interested in him so I nicely brought him over and told them his name, etc. I said not to poke their fingers or anything through the fence, because he is a puppy, and he might bite them and it might tease him. Well, I rarely let Nebo outside by himself, if I do, he's in a dog run. It's a good thing I go outside with him. Today I was sitting on our deck, reading a book, and he was running around the yard. I could hear the kids next door (2 boys and a girl) talking and playing. I couldn't see very well because there are some trees in the way, but I started to look more closely at them. They were putting sticks and crap through the fence at Nebo. I guess it's not going to hurt him, but it still pissed me off. I kept watching and I saw them climbing their fence to look in the yard behind us. There is a big sharpei/lab mix dog that lives there...I think her name is Peking (she has the colors/markings of Simba). Her and Reggie run and bark at eachother through the fence all the time. Yeah, she barks alot, which doesn't make her seem friendly...but my mom's been over to their house, and says she's really friendly. Anyway, the kids were saying this crap about how mean the dog was, and I could hear barking and a lot of noise going on by the fence. I walked over to take a closer look, and saw one of the boys with a huge rock in his hand, about to throw it at her!!! GRRR! I don't dislike all kids, just the ones that live near me lol. I calmly told them NOT to throw rocks at any of the dogs, and to please leave them alone. I said you can look at the dogs, but that is it. They just kind of gave me a look and walked over to their trampoline laughing. :mad: I'm glad they don't have any pets.

Cincy'sMom
08-19-2002, 05:30 PM
...And I bet those kids parents would go running to animal control if their brats stuck their fingers through the fence and were teasing the dogs and got bit. UHG! I have nothing against kids, I just wish their parents would teach them to respect other people, their pets and their things...

primabella
08-19-2002, 05:32 PM
they're are plenty of brats like that around here, with their attitudes and thinking they can do what they want. i love kids, but those ones just make me angry. hopefully, they'll listen to you.

Dixie Belle
08-19-2002, 05:33 PM
I hate kids like that too. I could just knock the fire out of them. But, it's the parents fault too. The first lesson I remember my daddy giving me was how to hold, pet, and take care of animals. Parents just aren't doing that. As long as the kids aren't in their hair, they don't seem to care what the kids do.

Okay, I have ranted. Now time to be mature. Maybe you should try to speak to the parents? Who knows, they just may not realize what the kids are doing. Also explain to them that hey, dogs do have memories and if one of the dogs they are teasing get out, there is a chance that their kid could get hurt. I say this because a friend of my husband's use to pick on Belle when she was a puppy, until I, uh, nicely (yeah, right) told him to stop. Problem was, Belle remembered. The guy moved to Texas, but came for a visit at Christmas. Belle almost got him. Jeremy caught her in time. This does not need to be taken lightly. Keep us updated on this.

tatsxxx11
08-19-2002, 06:22 PM
All of my dogs have been tormented by the kids that surround me. Our yard is completely fenced, some with cedar, but much with cedar posts with wire. The high school kids would throw rocks at them on their way to school and tell the dogs to "shut up" if they barked. Since Star was a puppy, they have taunted her, mock barking, "chasing her" up and down the road, throwing things at her and Cody, etc. Now, she has a real hesitation when first approached by kids. After a few minutes of introduction she's fine, but her first reaction is defensive! Kids can be great, but they can also be cruel, perhaps unknowingly, to animals and often to each other:)

Kfamr
08-19-2002, 06:26 PM
Somehow i'm beginning to think i live in heaven.... The little kids aorund here are angels. Always asking befor they pet Simba, or always asking to give him a snackie. Amy, maybe you should try talking to their parents and tel them the danger their children way be in IF they tease the dogs.

slleipnir
08-19-2002, 06:27 PM
I don't like kids like that too, there were a lot like that where my friend lived when I 1st got Jo. They kids ALWAYS tanted Jo, hit either me, my friend or the dog with sticks, and teased Jo into barking etc. So one time, They we're cursing and saying rude stuff to me and my friend, and saying that Josie was a whimpy dog and such, which I really don't care what they think, but I decided to have fun with them. I know Jo thinks ppl are playing when they run, and I knew the kids would run if they saw her running at them. So I said, oh really? Jo, attack! and let her off her leash, and the kids we're like oh ****! And started to run, and Jo was like YAY! PLAY!! And she chased them, and just before she got to close I called her, and she came back to me. I suppose it was cruel, but they didn't hit her after that. The kids we SOO...er..anyway, that was a while ago. Kids these days can be evil, so just keep an eye on them ;x (sorry for ranting..)

DoggiesAreTheBest
08-19-2002, 07:04 PM
I understand your frustration, Amy. I feel the same way about some kids. Not all of them. I would go and talk to their parents. If their parents think it is OK for their kids to torment animals, then you are dealing with a sticky situation.

A kid from the neighborhood once was throwing rocks at Drake. I was in the yard going some work and Drake was laying around. Next thing I hear was the kid screaming off the top of his lungs. I turn around and Drake had him laying on the groud, paws on his chest, growling. He didn't hurt the kid, but scared the crap out of him.

I was furious! I took the kid by the arm and walked him home and told his mother what had happened. She was livid and upset with her son. I told her that he was not allowed to come near my house anymore.

Crikit
08-19-2002, 07:23 PM
Don't worry Amy I got through the same thing with my neices friend and actually my niece sometimes who teases the dogs all the time and then wonders why I don't like her play with them. Scary thought though is that my nieces friend just got a kitten and they live next door if she teases the cat or does some of the stuff that I've stopped her from doing to the dogs (Ie. hitting Smudge on the head with a shoe) to the cat all I can say is poor thing.

wolf_Q
08-19-2002, 07:39 PM
If it happens again I'll talk to them...or make my mom, lol, she's braver then I am. She talks to the neighbors behind us sometimes, so maybe she'll warn them to keep an eye on their doggy. Their oldest kid (1st one to climb the fence), Nicholas, is just evil period. I've never liked him. I don't know what it is about him, I've just always thought of him a some sort of devil child lol. I remember my friend having to babysit him at her house sometimes, and more then once he locked her little brother in the closet in the dark, then just stood there laughing as he cried. My mom says she also saw him trying to drown his sister in a kiddie pool in their front yard. I think he's around 10 years old. The kid who actually had the rock in his hand lives across the street. My mom says they are nice kids, she's friends with their mom.....maybe he was just under the influence of Nicholas...it would not surprise me at all if he told him to do it...

Yeah, I'm not really a kid person, so that might have sounded nuts. But I really don't hate them all, just him! (Ok so I hate the neighbors on our other side too--but it's the dad I hate there! Todd! )

sammi
08-19-2002, 08:56 PM
I had this problem a week ago Sunday. We have chain link on 3 sides and our dogs are outside as they please with the doggie door. I also was sitting on the deck and could hear children yelling ect. - the dogs were at the fence where about 6 LITTLE kids (3 - ?8) and one kids says "hey hit him over the head"!!!!!!!! they were trying to make the dogs get rillled up. Oh I was ticked and I told them get away from that fence right now and DON'T ever come back. They also were sticking hands in the fence:eek: :eek: No use telling the parents they don't watch them anyway and because of their relegious beleifs they can't have animals as pets or play with any other children that are not
in their sect. So guess the kids get mean from being teased so much.

ChrisAK
08-20-2002, 07:28 AM
Always talk to the parents first. Let them know they are invading the dog's space, and make them understand how the dog may react. If this does not work, send them a letter, keep a copy of it, and explain you will call the cops if they continue to torment the dogs.

If they refuse to listen, call the cops. Explain to them the steps you have taken, and explain, although the dog(s) may be friendly, they can react in a way that is not acceptable if they get tired of the tormenting. This way if the dog(s) do end up biting them, you have something in writing stating you had already approached the kids and the parents and they refused to abide.

This may or may not help, but at least you have something on your side should this happen. You might also want to contact animal control and see what they would advise.

Remember, continue to inform them and you show you tried everything you can to prevent an incident. If the kids jump the fence you have: animal harrassment and or trespassing. Easier to have prosecuted or at least a legitimate issue.

Good luck.

C.C.'s Mom
08-20-2002, 07:59 AM
These stories just really make me wonder in what kind of world we live today.

Thankfully I have no problems with the neighborhood kids when it comes to stuff like that. You can't see our backyard so nobody ever interferes.

The only problem we have, is my 7 year old nephew. Thankfully he lives 8 hours away from us so we hardly ever see him. If he's here, I have to make sure I can see and hear him. Last time he was collecting sticks to 'stick them through the mouth of the cats and see where he comes out'!!!:eek: :mad: I quickly took him by his shirt and pulled him inside to give him a lessin in 'how do I behave when I'm around animals'. As a toddler he always asked me what would happen if he hit the cat, or what would happen if he pinches them. I know he once tried something because the cat bite him.
I told my sister in law that she's not welcome anymore if she can't get her son under control.

I think it's best to have you (or your mom) talk to the neighbors, just so you know that they are aware.

turner
08-20-2002, 09:19 AM
I had that problem when we first moved in. These 2 or sometimes there were 3 of them, and they would walk down the back alley stop at my fence and torment Phoebe and Deisel. I saw them one day through my kitchen window. The kids were sticking sticks through the fence and barking at the dogs and running back and forth.

I saw them do this about 4 times withing 2 weeks, but everytime I went to go out to say something to them, they would run away.

I finally caught the brats one day, I was in the back yard with Phoebe and Deisel. They didn't see me, came up to the fence and started teasing them. I whipped open the gate and caught them red handed.

I told them to come and see what kind of dogs they were teasing. They are not teasing a poodle. I told them that if one of them ever decided to get out, one of them might get hurt as these are big dogs. I also told them that I don't appreaciate them teasing my dogs and if I catch them doing it again, I am going to open my gate and let my dogs out.

They have never stopped at my fence again. That was almost a year ago. I do still see those kids walking down the alley, but they never stop anymore. Little runts, I wish I new their parents..but maybe that would be a problem too. Most of the time, if the kids don't know any better......neither do the parents.

anna_66
08-20-2002, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by sammi
because of their relegious beleifs they can't have animals as pets

What kind of religion is this?! How crazy!

And Turner....good for you! I bet when you said you'd let them out it scared the s*** out of them!

Amy, I know how cruel and stupid kids can be, when we lived in town the kids next door would tease Angus and throw things at him too, but the worse was when they threw fishhooks..yes fishhooks in our yard! Angus got them stuck in his gums and mouth and we had to take him to the vet because he wouldn't let us get them out.
That was it for us, we sold our house and bought a house out of town within the next month! So now it's great, no kids to bother or tease them. Sorry you have to put up with such terrorizing kids.

primabella
08-20-2002, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by anna_66
but the worse was when they threw fishhooks..yes fishhooks in our yard! Angus got them stuck in his gums and mouth and we had to take him to the vet because he wouldn't let us get them out.

that's terrible. i remember when i went to elementary, our bus stop was facing some guy's yard and i used to play with the dog through the fence. all the kids at the stop did. no one ever hurt him. i think it's this new generation of young kids. makes me angry.:mad:

:)

lovemymaltese
08-20-2002, 01:44 PM
There are some brats in this world. Can you believe that in one year I will be teaching them?:eek:

primabella
08-20-2002, 02:15 PM
:D hehehe, good luck with them. although some are brats, there are a good amount of them that are real sweethearts. :D

wolf_Q
08-20-2002, 02:33 PM
OMG, fishhooks?! Poor Angus!! :eek:

Check out this pic.......its the doggy they were throwing rocks at. Her name is Peking I think...isn't she cute?

primabella
08-20-2002, 02:35 PM
awww....she's adorable! :)

turner
08-20-2002, 10:07 PM
She is very cute!

C.C.'s Mom
08-21-2002, 03:08 AM
Originally posted by popcornbird

Wierd! There's a religion that doesn't allow pets? :eek: Or playing with children from a different sect???:eek: :o :eek: What religion is that? :confused:

For instance, muslims are not supposed to touch dogs and cats since they are regarded as being not clean (correct me here if I'm wrong). It has nothing to do with the animals itself, just that they have to go through some cleaning rituals.

And hindustans are also not supposed to touch animals (except the cow) who are again regarded as being not clean.

There are many world religions as well as sects who have restrictions in that area. Not much you can do as to respect it.

But: hurting animals is something that is originally in no religion allowed!

Kfamr
08-21-2002, 05:15 AM
Originally posted by primabella

i think it's this new generation of young kids. makes me angry.:mad:

like i've always said...... and i'll say it again and again... People wonder why i'm embarassed of my generation.

C.C.'s Mom
08-21-2002, 06:02 AM
My information wasn't correct as I read now. Sorry. This is what I learned in school when we had world religion.

sammi
08-21-2002, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by sammi
because of their relegious beleifs they can't have animals as pets

It may not be refereed to as a religion either:confused:i Understand that the majority of this group are very nice people. And yes I believe that animals are considered unclean. They also don't eat with others or share eating dishes with someone other than their faith. Its not something I can find any info. on via the internet either (they don't believe in the use of computers, T.V. or radios except for news - the children use computers in school as they are required). So you can see that not too many ways to socialize except for the "Hell'o" on the street

Dixie Belle
08-21-2002, 09:12 PM
so, have you tried speaking to the parents? I think that Chris has the best idea. Something has to be done.

Dakota's Mommy
08-24-2002, 11:13 PM
I agree with everybody who says to try to talk to their parents. I hate kids who are like that but absolutely love children! Who knows, maybe the parents aren't aware of their behavior (how many parent that you know really know every little detail of what their children do while they are not in their eye sight). But, I would also suggest to keep up what you're doing and keeping an eye on your dogs when they are outside whenever you can, at least until you know for sure that those kids will respect your dogs.

We have been very lucky so far in having people around us who's kids either ignore our dog all together or play with her as she was their own! Good luck with your problem though, hope things get better, and don't turn for the worse!