PDA

View Full Version : Who owns today?

Randi
02-29-2008, 08:54 AM
It comes but once every four years and this 29 February some workers are being given the extra day as holiday. Employers won't like the idea, but we tend to look at additional time as a gift.

Imagine that to adjust our timekeeping, 10 minutes had to be added to one day each year. You would expect them to be 10 minutes of free time, yours to spend as you will. You'd be miffed if they were added to one of your working hours, getting 10 minutes more work out of you for no extra money.

But is this what leap year does to us? If you're on an annual salary, you will get the same pay as normal this year, while working one extra day. Is 29 February just another working Friday, or a sneaky bonus for your employer? Who does 29 February belong to?

See the whole article in this link - by Steve Tomkins

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7269816.stm

moosmom
02-29-2008, 08:58 AM
As dear old Dad would quote to me, "It's just another day."

Kfamr
02-29-2008, 08:59 AM
A friend of mine is getting married today - does that mean he only has to celebrate his anniversary every 4 years? Smart man!

CountryWolf07
02-29-2008, 09:30 AM
A friend of mine is getting married today - does that mean he only has to celebrate his anniversary every 4 years? Smart man!

Now that's interesting! ;)

Edwina's Secretary
02-29-2008, 10:21 AM
I am preparing birthday greetings for a friend...who only has a birthday every four years! :D ;) :D

It is also Sadie Hawkins Day...when traditions says a woman can ask a man to marry!

Karen
02-29-2008, 11:12 AM
It was Uncle Buster's birthday, RIP. And in the previous generation, Aunt Adrian asked Uncle Mac to marry her. It wasn't on February 29th, but it was during a leap year, so Uncle Mac said "I couldn't say no! Besides, she was a school teacher - you don't dare disobey a teacher!"

chocolatepuppy
02-29-2008, 11:30 AM
It is also Sadie Hawkins Day...when traditions says a woman can ask a man to marry!

Ha ha! That's how I nabbed my husband over thirty years ago. Had to chase him all over our my back yard to catch him though. :p ...As for who owns the day? Well, I do for one. When I went to work today they asked me if I wanted to go home 'lack of work' (I don't get paid but the time is not held against me)so here I am. ;) A little pc time, play in the snow with the pups, whatever I want! :D