PDA

View Full Version : Sky's Holistic Vet Visit-Updated 3-30-08

krazyaboutkatz
02-29-2008, 02:04 AM
Hi, Sky saw my holistic vet this morning because he's still having congestion problems and he makes noises when he breathes. I describe it as a low cooing noise. Here are two videos that I took of him the other day and if you turn up your volume and listen carefully you'll be able to hear what I'm talking about.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v176/krazyaboutkatz/Sky/th_SkysCooingNoise-2-25-08001.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v176/krazyaboutkatz/Sky/?action=view&current=SkysCooingNoise-2-25-08001.flv)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v176/krazyaboutkatz/Sky/th_SkysCooingNoise-2-25-08002.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v176/krazyaboutkatz/Sky/?action=view&current=SkysCooingNoise-2-25-08002.flv)

He was very good on the trip over which takes about 30 minutes each way. He enjoyed being in her office and he loved being able to walk around and inspect everything. He was head butting everything in sight.LOL:) She examed him and listened to his chest and lungs with a stethescope sp?. She said that she can tell that he has noisy breathing and it's due to inflammation. I'm going to start giving him these (http://www.vitamin-resource.com/specials/detail.cfm?id=1295) tomorrow morning. I give him 1 pill 2 times a day.

I should notice an improvement in about 7-10 days and he goes back for a recheck on March 30th. He was also very sensitive between his shoulder blade area and she said it's because of the dampness that he has which is associated with his congestion. If he had been having a snotty nose then she would have also done some acupunture on him. She also said that he won't have to take this herbal pill forever. Depending on how he does she may change him to another one and then later on he may only need it for about 1 week before allergy season in the fall and then in the spring.

I asked her what may have caused this and since he had some bad reactions to his FVRCP shots in the past, she said that it may have been caused by this shot. He hasn't had one of these in the past 2 years and I've stopped giving them to all of my cats. Hopefully these herbal medicines will be able to help him. Thanks for reading this.:)

Emeraldgreen
02-29-2008, 12:53 PM
OMG! Krazyaboutkatz, I replied to your post on my thread in cat health and wrote about my cat George's breathing problems. I just listened to Sky's breathing and the sounds are very similar. I really wonder now if George's issues may stem from his vaccines after reading your post. Like you, I haven't taken him for shots for 2 years and have stopped all vaccines for my cats as well as they are all indoor cats. This is George breathing (http://s225.photobucket.com/albums/dd102/emeraldcreek/?action=view&current=MVI_2175.flv).
Maybe we could keep each other updated with any progress if either of us finds 'the cure' for our laboured breathing kitties. Thank you for all your great suggestions in your reply to my other post. I hope things get better for Sky!

snowshoe2
02-29-2008, 02:57 PM
This is of great interest to me because my cat Bandit has been suffering from some type of allergy for well over a year. The vet has tried antibiotics, prednisone, benadryl and chlortrimetron as well has several different foods, all with hardly any relief. Poor Bandit sneezes, wheezes and sometimes has a very spastic coughing spell, almost like he's hyper-ventilating. His nose is also runny to the point he blows bubbles out of it.
There is no Holistic vet in my area, but if there was I think I would be going there. I have done alot of researching through the web and found this place (http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/?click=5|g=only%20natural%20pet%20store&9gtype=search&9gkw=only%20natural%20pet%20store&9gad=1081008483&s_kwcid=only%20natural%20pet%20store|1081008483&gclid=CLeF7qih6pECFR_jOAodZmneQg) and have been thinking about ordering either the homeopathic Nose Relief or one of their other allergy relief products.
Please let us know how Sky is responding to his treatment, I wish the both of you the best!

Felicia's Mom
02-29-2008, 10:02 PM
Sending vibes for Sky. Hope he get better soon.

krazyaboutkatz
03-01-2008, 12:01 AM
Thanks everyone.:) I'll continue to keep you updated about Sky. I'm very fortunate to have found an excellent holistic vet and she's already helped me out a lot with both Storm and Starr's problems. I also have a very good regular vet but sometimes you need to try the more natural route when other things just don't work.

I have already tried antihistamines and I've also been using a vaporizer at night for Sky. I've even tried putting some saline solution drops in Sky's nostrils which isn't an easy thing to do. Emeraldgreen, yes your George's breathing sounds very similar to Sky's except that his sounds much worse.:( I sure hope that you'll be able to eventually find someone to help you with his breathing problems.

I know that holistic vets are very expensive but it's so worth it to eventually see your furkids getting better and better.:) My holistic vet treats many of her patients with different forms of acupunture and it sure has helped my Starr. I never knew that it could help so many different illnesses or even behavioral problems. She also uses Chinese herbs. Hopefully in the next 7-10 days, I'll have some wonderful news to share with you.:)

Kater
03-01-2008, 01:19 AM
Sending lots of good thoughts out for Sky! He is such a handsome boy. I know she has greatly helped Storm and Starr. :D

Laura's Babies
03-01-2008, 06:37 AM
Awe man! I wish we had a holistic vet around here!! I am glad you posted this so that I am now aware that FVRCP shots can cause this. This is news to me..PT is so educational...

BTW, Sky is so darn pretty that I just wanted to kiss that lovely face of his!

Emeraldgreen
03-04-2008, 08:36 PM
I hope Sky is showing some improvement on the new pills? I tried to check out the link you had in your post and it took me to a page on the vitamin resource website but it has a dozen or so different articles. Can I ask you what the name of the pills are? I'm quite interested in them if they might help some of my cats. Thanks! :)

krazyaboutkatz
03-05-2008, 12:04 AM
So far I haven't noticed much improvement yet but it's only been 5 days. I started him on Friday morning and then I noticed on Friday evening that he had spit out one of the pills so I gave it to him as soon as I noticed this. I stopped using the vaporizer one night and Sky seemed to be breathing much worse the next day so I guess this is also helping him a little bit.

The name of the chinese herbal pills are Er Chen Teapills by Plum Flower. They are also called Er Chen Wan and they come in a bottle of 200 pills. I don't know how long a cat can take these pills because my holistic vet made it sound like it would be short term and then she's most likely put him on something else. The great thing is that once he's healthy again, he'll only need to be on something for 1 week prior to the allergy season so she said it would 1 week 2 times a year. I'll continue to keep you updated. I sure hope that these will be able to help some other cats. Good luck.

krazyaboutkatz
03-09-2008, 05:33 PM
Hi, I just wanted everyone to know that I think that Sky's breathing has been improving. It's still only day 10 and he hasn't even had his nightly dose yet.:) He has sneezed a few times but it wasn't anything major. I'll continue to keep you updated.:)

rg_girlca
03-09-2008, 11:29 PM
LOL!!!!! Don't worry, I'm not laughing at Sky's situation, but when I was listening to his breathing on the first video, I had my ear close to the speaker, as mine, the speaker I mean, not my ear, are not the greatest and had the volume up high. Then it sounded like you kicked something and it made quite a noise and did I ever jump out of my skin. LOL!!!

Okay, now onto precious Sky. Gosh he is such a gorgeous boy. You know, there are times when I hear my Willy breath like that also when he is resting.
But I just put it down to him gaining weight. That's why I don't free feed anymore in hopes to get his and a few of my other boys, weight down.

I pray that this new medication helps him.

Please give that precious boy of yours a kiss on that widdle spotted nose of his.

krazyaboutkatz
03-09-2008, 11:36 PM
LOL!!!!! Don't worry, I'm not laughing at Sky's situation, but when I was listening to his breathing on the first video, I had my ear close to the speaker, as mine, the speaker I mean, not my ear, are not the greatest and had the volume up high. Then it sounded like you kicked something and it made quite a noise and did I ever jump out of my skin. LOL!!!

Actually, Pearl was in the kitchen sink drinking some water. She was making a lot of noise so I tried to shoo her out of the sink quietly but she made a loud noise. My sink is stainless steel so this is what you heard. Sorry.

Emeraldgreen
03-10-2008, 12:23 AM
That is GREAT news! I'm so glad to hear that Sky is getting better. Hope it continues. :)

krazyaboutkatz
03-10-2008, 12:42 AM
That is GREAT news! I'm so glad to hear that Sky is getting better. Hope it continues. :)
Thanks.:) So did you ever end up buying some of these herbal pills for your furkids? If so I sure hope that they'll help them.:)

krazyaboutkatz
03-30-2008, 08:59 PM
In case any one is interested, Sky went for his recheck today and he's slowly improving.:) He's not as sensitive as he was in the middle of his back and this is where his internal problem is. My holistic vet also said that his skin is very tight here and if she were to give him an acupunture treatment that he'd go nuts.

My homework is to rub along the sides of his problem area 12 strokes at a time for at least one time a day and to try to pull up a little bit on his skin to help to loosen it up. I'm going to try to do this at least twice a day. He goes back to see the vet on May 4th and this is when Starr goes back too so this will save me some gas and time. Depending on how his rubbing treatment goes, he'll most likely be given an acupunture treatment at this appointment. He'll also continue with his herbal pill treatment twice a day.

I almost forgot to add that his breathing has also improved and I don't notice him making his stuffy/snoring/cooing noise as often as he used to. Thanks for reading this.:)

Scooter's Mom
03-30-2008, 09:08 PM
I hope the rubbing treatment helps! Good luck with the follow up visit.

Emeraldgreen
03-30-2008, 11:44 PM
That is so great that Sky is breathing better! I am definitely going to try and get my cats Jimmy and George on the pills under the supervision of a holistic vet when we line up their visits. I feel so encouraged that it's really working for Sky!
Hope the rubbing sessions go well. :) I'm sure Sky will enjoy it. His own personal masseuse!