PDA

View Full Version : Need opinions on....

Catsnclay
02-28-2008, 06:49 PM
those running water drinking fountians.

We are planning on getting one this weekend and I would like to know the pro's & con's on them (please specify the brand name).

For some reason Lucky has decided lately to paw at the water dish, several hard swoops :rolleyes: before he decides to drink out of it. Meanwhile not only does that make one heck of a mess on my floor :mad: but I am also having to fill the water every other day now!! We have one that holds probably about a gallon of water and normally we clean it and fill it up once a week with 3 cats and that is normally enough water........until Mr. "I need clean water" has come along!!!

I have no idea what has gotten into him lately, but I don;t have the time/energy to do this!!!! He is just being a rotten kid!! :rolleyes: - ;)

Freedom
02-28-2008, 07:02 PM
First, put a large mat with sides under the water bowl. I use a boot mat. That makes the clean up easier!

I have 2 Pet Mate fountains, and I am really pleased with them. The cats and dogs all use them, no issues. MOST of the cats do lick from the stream, I have noticed! The dogs use the pool at the bottom. Chestnut WILL still paw at it, particularly when the levels are down. But he is my silly orangie, MUCH prefers drinking from the bathroom sink than any water bowl or fountain!

I liked this one for the reason (Cat Lady?) had posted about at the time she got hers and I followed. The stream is not splashing, it runs down a ramp. The filters can be expensive, you can find them on line cheaper or you can make your own, we have the link in a prior thread. You save the netting and plastic guide and just purchase the charcoal filler from a fish supply place.

I fill BOTH each evening. But then, I DO have a lot of pets, and I didn't get the biggest size.

Hope this helps!

moosmom
02-28-2008, 08:05 PM
I bought my Petmate Fountain on sale for $20 since it didn't have a filter. So I I bought the fountain for $20 and a pack of filters for $6.00. Best investment I ever made. I highly recommend it.

Catlady711
02-28-2008, 08:24 PM
I liked this one for the reason (Cat Lady?) had posted about at the time she got hers and I followed.

Yup.

Here's the threads I posted on the Petmate fountain in case anyone is interested. They still love both fountains.

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=122738&highlight=petmate+fountain

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=132214&highlight=petmate+fountain

Medusa
02-29-2008, 06:57 AM
I have 2 Petmate fountains w/no issues at all. My furkids love them and, even though they have water dishes in the basement where they sleep, as soon as morning comes and they're allowed upstairs, they all head straight for the fountains.

catmandu
02-29-2008, 04:44 PM
WE HAVE WATER FONTAINS, PET MATE AND OTHERWISE THROUGH THE WHOLE HOTEL AND IF IT WAS NOT SO COLD OUTSIDE AS WELL.
THOSE CATS SURE GET THIRSTY AND THE DISHES ARE CHANGED DAILY.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/cats101737.jpg
COOPERATION TIME.

kt_luvs_kitties
02-29-2008, 04:52 PM
My cats LOVE their fountains, BUT I think it is a pain in the butt to clean all the time!

Catsnclay
02-29-2008, 06:10 PM
BUT I think it is a pain in the butt to clean all the time!

WHY?????? What is so hard about cleaning them????

Does anyone know how much water it holds at one time??? (cups or gallons?)

Thanks everyone!! Looks like we will be getting the Petmate water fountian this weekend!

Hope the cats like it!!

Catlady711
02-29-2008, 07:26 PM
My large one holds 1.6 gallons as I recall (dog sized) and I'm thinking my smaller one (cat sized) holds about a quart.

kt_luvs_kitties
02-29-2008, 07:36 PM
Well, I have both sizes, the regular cat one and the large dog sized one. The larger one would probably be a better buy.

I have to take mine apart atleast 2 x per week to clean it. I use a toothbrush, and scrub all of the insides, all the corners to make sure it is clean. Then I take apart the adaptor that catches hair and stuff and clean it out (otherwise the motor will get overused and blow out *my last one did*).

A simple water dish is WAY easier, but my cats love the fountain so I suck it up ;)

Crazy-Cat-Lover
02-29-2008, 07:36 PM
I have the Cat It watering fountain, but haven't bought any new filters for it so it's not set up. I love it though, keeps the water clean and cool. My kitties love it too!

http://www.hagen.com/img/cats/addinfo/catitfountain/cats-fountain2.jpg

Cat It Watering Fountain (http://www.hagen.com/usa/cats/addinfo/catit_fountain.html)

Catsnclay
03-05-2008, 12:33 PM
Well we bought the Petmate water fountian for the cats and so far aside from the first 'meeting' with the water fountian, all is going well! - :)

I do have another question though......

When we first brought it home & set it up it sounded quiet. Now this mroning when I walked into the kitchen I heard a noise, sounded like the machine was out of water and trying to suck up whatever was there, but no! Everything was full and running.

Do they sound loud?? Even my husband heard it when he got up (much earlier than I!! - :p ) and he even put more water in it thinking the same thing.

Do we have a problem or are we just over worried about the new machine???

Medusa
03-05-2008, 12:42 PM
It'll do that if it's low on water and/or if it has debris, such as cat hair in it. I have to clean mine often because w/7 cats, it gets a lot hair and stray litter in it. Once you refill and/or clean it, the noise should stop.

AbbyMom
03-05-2008, 12:43 PM
I must keep the pump to our Petmate fountain clean to keep it quiet. Pull the pump out of the fountain and check it for scummy buildup. Buildup will make it suck too hard and therefore too loud.

Depending on the quality of our current water supply, this happens more frequently sometimes. I think some people do not experience this build up problem because their water supply is better.

I have started using bottled water and it seems to help. It's also worse in the summertime. Since you live in the southwest, you may encounter this build up more frequently.

PM me if you want details about how I clean the pump.

Medusa
03-05-2008, 12:50 PM
Forgot to mention that it helps to add filtered water. I have a Brita and I pour that water directly into the fountain.

emily_the_spoiled
03-05-2008, 03:05 PM
Sometimes the motor will sound very loud depending up on the type of flooring it is sitting on. For example one on mine is on ceramic tile and that makes more noise that lino. To solve the problem just put a mat underneath it. I usually use one of those one with a water proof back (in case they decide to play with it :rolleyes: ). That will usually take care of the noise issue.

I don't find the cleaning that back, but I just take it apart and stick it in the dishwasher (that way it is also sterilized). I do take the motor apart about once a month or so and clean out the "gunk" that build up.

orangemm
03-05-2008, 04:59 PM
I found a hard plastic tray at the dollar store and we keep ours on one of those to avoid water on the floor from swatting.

Mine love the PetMate, I think they drink more than with just bowl water.

moosmom
03-05-2008, 10:11 PM
Whenever I've put in filtered water from my Brita pitcher, algae would form. I told my friend about the "green" that forms on the filter and around the bowl is from using filtered water. Once I stopped using filtered water it was fine.

The noise is from the water level. I just pour water in the bowl and the noise stops.

My manager has one she never opened and said I could have it if anyone is interested in it. Still in the box, never used.

My filter stopped working so I called the company. They told me I have to literally take the pump apart, as algae will build up in it. It's real easy.

Catsnclay
03-06-2008, 12:48 PM
Yup, you were all right!! Apparently there was something in the filter so I cleaned it out and back to silence !

Thank you!!!

I knew this would be a 'dumb blonde' question!! ;)

Randi
03-06-2008, 01:25 PM
I have the fountain in Catlady's link, and Fister likes it. :) It comes in two sizes, as you probably know already. Cats likes fresh water, just as we do, so I change the water every day. It's actually quite easy... I have a little bowl next to it I pour th ewater into, and I have a jar which contains the amount of water to fit into the Fresh Flow. ;)

The water here has a lot of chalk in it and that will stick to it, so I clean it out once a week. I pour winegar in and let it soak for about an hour, that way the surface will still be smooth and easier to clean. Use a soft sponge.

As for the noise, the little slider on the pump can be adjusted so the water runs quicker or slower, that will also make it more or less noisy.

Hope the kitties like it! :)