PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with experience with Xanax?

catnapper
02-28-2008, 06:36 AM
Hubby's FINALLY agreed to see the doctor about stress and anxiety (and depression though he doesn't admit he's depressed -- but he is) He saw the dr. yesterday and she prescribed Xanax. I was a bit surprised, after reading the few blurbs online that I read about it. I also don't like that he'll have to remember to take it 3 times a day (yikes -- he can barely remember to take his BP meds once a day!)

Can anyone tell me what to expect? Is it good? Bad?

He gos back to the doctor in 10 days to go over how its working.

Scooter's Mom
02-28-2008, 06:52 AM
I took Xanax in the months leading up to my mom's death in 12/01. I probably took it altogether from September 2001 until February 2002. It was a really stressful time.

The only thing I experienced really was the fact that it made me sleep A LOT. I don't know if it helped me get through my mom's death... or if I just managed.

If I took them as prescribed (3x a day) it made me a zombie.... of course, tylenol can make me sleepy sometimes!

So I guess I'm no help. LOL

shepgirl
02-28-2008, 07:38 AM
Xanax is a benzo that some doctors use for depression. They do make you sleepy, the bottle usually states not to take while driving or doing hazardous tasks . 3x / day seems like a pretty high dose to start but maybe your husband can handle it. If you notice a change in him, such as mood disorder, short temper, etc. it should be reported to your doctor. I have to wonder why the doctor didn't prescribe a regular antidepressant instead of an anxiolitic? Xanax is often used as an adjunct with other meds for seizures.
I'm sure your doctor had his reasons for prescribing them, too bad he didn't explain.

kelli1843
02-28-2008, 08:01 AM
I'll be interested in reading the responses. My mom died in January and I've been having a hard time dealing with her passing. I get easily stressed out, irritable and can't sleep.

My doctor prescribed Xanax for me also. I haven't gotten the script filled yet, as I wanted to learn more about it.

Someone told me they were on it, and it made her apathetic, meaning she found herself not caring if dishes were done, or laundry, etc.

Good luck.

emily_the_spoiled
02-28-2008, 08:14 AM
Xanax is a short-acting benzo, which means that it does not last in the body for an extended period of time. One of the very common side effects associated with it drowsiness, so your husband may want to try it on the weekend first so he doesn't have to worry about driving anywhere.

Taking it 3 times per day is standard dosing, but this drug is not designed to be taken for extended periods of time. If he is going to be on it for more than a few months he really should talk with the MD about getting something else.

trayi52
02-28-2008, 08:39 AM
I am on Xanax right now. It has helped me a lot. Though when I first started taking it, it did make me drowsy. Now it just settles my anxiety.

Willie :)

Pam
02-28-2008, 09:58 AM
It was prescribed to my co-worker for her insomnia. I was a little surprised that he gave her something that I always considered a tranquilizer type drug as opposed to a regular sleeping pill of some kind. Maybe nowadays it works well for both situations. That said, maybe your hubby should be careful with it and start out with a low dose before going up to the three times a day usage.

Laura's Babies
02-28-2008, 02:17 PM
I had a Rx for it and got it filled during a rough time I was having and I hardly took any of them. I can tell you one thing, they are all that saved me from completely loosing it when I found out my friend of 20 years had been murdered and who did it. I was on the boat and it about distroyed me. I went hysterical and was shaking head to foot and could not stop or calm down no matter what I tried. They calmed me down and I was functional.

I don't think he will like taking 3 a day though, that would zombie me out and render me so very non functional. It depends on his system. I would start him on a week end to see how he reacts to them.

Catlady711
02-28-2008, 06:02 PM
At one time years ago I was put on Xanax for my panic attacks which caused me to have to leave my job I had at the time.

I found the 3x a day WAY more than I could take. If I took that much I was sleepy as all heck but still having a mild panic attack.

I found that if I just took 1/2 a pill 2x a day or as needed it did alot more for me until I could get myself together enough to learn to live with my panic attacks and control them better.

I haven't had to take anything for them in years. I still have mini panic attacks but can deal with them, and only have really big attacks about once every year or longer. No I didn't do any kind of therapy either, just dealt with them on my own. It helped alot when I found out many people have that problem and I wasn't 'weird', losing my mind, or having a heart attack.