PDA

View Full Version : BraveHeart (disappointing UPDATE 3-17-08, page 7)

jenluckenbach
02-27-2008, 07:49 PM
New update:
The good news

His kidneys are STILL improving!!!

His BUN (normal is 10-30) was 180, 1 week later was 103 : NOW (3 more weeks later) is 85

His Creatinine (normal is 0.3-2.1) was 8.2, 1 week later was 5.3 : NOW (3 more weeks later) is 3.5

His Phosphorous (normal is 3.4-8.5) was 20, 1 week later was 13.3 : NOW (3 more weeks later) is 10.2

The bad news

He is anemic. :( The most likely reason is discribed here:

Some anemia causes include:

Kidney failure. Anemia of chronic failure is primarily
associated with reduced stimulation of bone marrow to
produce red cells due to low production of the hormone
erythropoietin.

So he will start a new medicine called Epogen (see this website:
http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/erythropoietin-epogen-procrit/page1.aspx..)

Also found that Any severe, chronic disease or Very poor nutrition can cause the bone marrow to not produce enough red blood cells. Definitely Braveheart is in this category.

phesina
02-27-2008, 07:59 PM
So glad to hear his kidneys continue to improve!

I hope the Epogen will help. Can they pin down a specific cause for the anemia?

We are saying our prayers and sending our heartfelt good healing wishes and energies to sweet BraveHeart and to you, Jen.

Love, hugs, and purrs,
Pat, Peony, Sydney, Poppy, Elmer, and Priscilla Angel who is watching over BraveHeart and purring to him

DJFyrewolf36
02-27-2008, 08:27 PM
Im glad that Braveheart is improving! Hopefully the new medication will improve his anemia and get him in top shape again. Bless you for helping this sweet kitty :D

Catlady711
02-27-2008, 10:19 PM
That's good news for BraveHeart with the tests coming down. I hope the new med works good for him.

BTW you might want to change the title of this thread or add *update* to it. You had me worried that BraveHeart had passed away with the way it's written. I'm glad to see that he is still with us though.

Catty1
02-27-2008, 11:37 PM
I really hope the new medication helps. If the kidneys keep improving, maybe the anemia will get better?

Also, BraveHeart baby, you gotta start EATING on your own. :)

Jen - what is the normal range for the levels you are posting? Glad that they are going DOWN.

Poor baby has been through SO much pain and illness, the health he has recovered is miraculous. I loved how you said he snuggled right into you at the vet - a real mommy's boy! :D

HUGS and more prayers going out for BraveHeart's continued recovery. :)

krazyaboutkatz
02-28-2008, 12:49 AM
I'm glad to hear that he's been improving and I hope he'll continue to do so.:) I'll continue to keep him in my thoughts and prayers.

jenluckenbach
02-28-2008, 05:07 AM
Jen - what is the normal range for the levels you are posting? Glad that they are going DOWN.

The normal ranges are posted in the first post, the numbers in the parenthesis. ;)

kb2yjx
02-28-2008, 08:12 AM
Jen, I tried to see if I could find out how old BraveHeart is, but I cannot seem to locate the thread with that info. So, how old is he? Our oldest cat, Norton, at 16, was recently found to be anemic. Our vet said it can be a disease of older cats(just like older people). We have Norton on Pet Tabs with Iron(1.25mg/2.5cc), which he gets twice a day. Nortie is scheduled for a repeat CBC on 3/11. If the values do not go up, he will be started on the epogen just like BraveHeart. Luckily, Norton does not have kidney disease. Sorry to yak about my cat, but just thought if BraveHeart was an older gent, that with the kidney disease is why he might be anemic.

Freedom
02-28-2008, 08:40 AM
Oh Jen, isn't this good news, that the blood test results continue to improve! How exciting!!!!

I will pray that the anemia is a passing event which, with meds and continued improved health overall and good nutrition, will correct itself.

Way to go, Braveheart! He MUST feel SO much better!

Laura's Babies
02-28-2008, 08:53 AM
I have thought about this boy every day while I was gone. When I could get online on the boat, I always came here to see if there were any updates. I just feel so bonded with him and whenever I looked at his pictures that I took with me, I would tell him how much I wished he could be mine and how much I would love him forever. Could I dare request some pictures of this handsome boy?

I am glad to hear he is continueing to improve and hope he keeps on improving. Thank God you took him in, he is just SO special!!

pitc9
02-28-2008, 09:20 AM
Glad to hear he's doing better!
I hope the new meds help him even more!

cassiesmom
02-28-2008, 11:04 AM
Jen, if Epogen costs a fortune (which it can for human patients) and if you need help, send up a flare. Keep up the good work, precious BraveHeart. hughughughughug

ChrisH
02-28-2008, 11:55 AM
Thanks for the update, glad to hear the dear boy is doing better. Prayers continuing.

jenluckenbach
02-28-2008, 03:04 PM
BraveHeart is estimated to be 9 years old. But no one knows exactly.

The epogen will cost $70 for 20 doses (given once every 48 hours). I am unsure if he will continue after the 20 doses are up, it depends on how he improves.

I am glad you are back, Laura. I tell BraveHeart about you all the time. ;)

catmandu
02-28-2008, 03:47 PM
We Have Dropped A Note With Mr Scrappy, Mr Fluffy And The Moose Angels To Come Down And Serenade Braveheart With Thier Combined Purrrs And Cat Warmth.
That Should Make Anyone Feel Better!!
Bless You, Jen For Nursing Bravehaert Back To Health.

jenluckenbach
02-28-2008, 07:54 PM
BraveHeart has not been feeling well, and I am hopping that his new medicine for the anemia will perk him up. :( He has not been eating on his own, as he had been, still syringe feeding. And I don't think his 2 pound weight gain was accurate, because today he was at 6 pounds (not 7, as we thought on Monday).

And his rear leg is hurting him where they took the blood. :( He is not putting wieght on it. he has some pain meds to take.

This has been a hard road for him. :(

For anyone who wants to donate towards all the vet bills (medicines, special food, Sub-Q fluids, repeating blood tests......) PLEASE donate to One by One cat rescue!!

Laura's Babies
02-28-2008, 08:05 PM
C'mon boy! Perk up and get on that direct road to recovery!! You have touched my heart like it hasn't been touched in a long time! You have a great life ahead to enjoy so get well and be happy! Such a handsome boy and I know you are a real sweetheart without even meeting you. I am pulling for you here in the south and sending you tons of good healing vibes, lots of love and prayers for you are being sent!

♥XXXXX♥OOOOO♥

Catty1
02-28-2008, 08:52 PM
BraveHeart! HUGS to you beautiful boy...you have had a hard time, but you are getting there...just getting treated for one thing at a time....

Poor baby!

Give him a gentle scritch for me, Jen? And I am sending out PT Prayers to him.

Payday is tomorrow, and I will do what I can for BraveHeart. :)

Medusa
02-29-2008, 06:55 AM
Oh my, poor Braveheart. Just when things were looking up. Lots of prayer going out for him and you....

phesina
02-29-2008, 05:32 PM
Love and prayers for sweet BraveHeart continue. And I just made a PayPal donation.

jenluckenbach
02-29-2008, 06:49 PM
Thanks Pat! {{{{{HUG}}}}}

BraveHeart is just not feeling well yet. :( He has totally stopped eating on his own. Tomorrow he gets the second dose of the Epogen. I hope his stuff can perk him up quickly.

krazyaboutkatz
03-01-2008, 12:26 AM
I'm sorry to hear that Braveheart isn't eating well or feeling well.:( I hope he'll start doing better soon. He'll continue to remain in my thoughts and prayers.

jenluckenbach
03-01-2008, 07:21 PM
I'd like to announce that One by One got another donation for BraveHeart!
{{{{{{Linda}}}}}}

But I am sad to say that BraveHeart is not perking up, yet. Tonight he got his 2nd Epogen injection. (it is .1 ml every 48 hours) But he did 2 things that he has not done since before.....when he was feeling badly. 1) peed and pooped right in his bed an 2) he did NOT fight the sub-Q fluids tonight. Just small signs that he felt better before than he does now. And he still isn;t intersted in eating on his own.

So keep those prayers coming full strength!

phesina
03-01-2008, 07:25 PM
We are praying and sending our love and all our healing energies to dear BraveHeart. We love you, sweetie!

Hugs and purrs,
Pat and cats

Catty1
03-01-2008, 07:53 PM
PRAYERS FOR BRAVEHEART.

I really hope this little step back is just a reaction to the drug, like a side effect. If it is treatment for anemia, then it must be a shock to his system.

Poor baby and poor you!

I hope he turns around in the next 24! Come on BraveHeart - let all the PT love make you well!

cassiesmom
03-01-2008, 07:56 PM
For anyone who wants to donate towards all the vet bills (medicines, special food, Sub-Q fluids, repeating blood tests......) PLEASE donate to One by One cat rescue!!

you can donate via the Web site at http://1by1catrescue.org

jennielynn1970
03-01-2008, 08:09 PM
Poor Braveheart! I was hoping he'd be doing better. I'll be keeping him in my thoughts and prayers.

Freedom
03-01-2008, 09:29 PM
How frustrating. I am praying that this is just a minor wee set back and he is going to continue to pick up, heal, and recover!

Craftlady
03-01-2008, 09:30 PM
Keeping good thoughts and prayers things turn around. Sadly, I think he is telling you he is giving up, to tired to fight anymore. I hope I'm wrong.

jenluckenbach
03-02-2008, 08:09 AM
While I agree, he might be giving up, I am not 100% ready to. At this point, I believe his anemia is dragging him down. If this medicine does not work fast enough, I am going to ask about a blood transfusion.

I am not a believer of "saving a life at ALL costs", but I think he needs more time. So I continue the syringe feeding and I'll talk to the vet tomorrow morning (the emergency vet, today, IF necessary).

Medusa
03-02-2008, 08:15 AM
With all the experience that you've had w/cats and rescue, if ever there was a person that I would tell to trust her instincts, it's you, Jen. You're being guided to know what to do and, should the time come that you have to help Braveheart to the Bridge, you'll know. In the meantime, keep the faith. We all know how many miracles we've experienced here on PT and elsewhere. We're praying for Braveheart and you. He doesn't have that name for nothin', y'know. :)

catmandu
03-02-2008, 09:01 AM
THE FOUND CATS ARE SO SORRY TO HEAR THAT BRAVEHEART IS HAVING ARELAPSE , JEN. WE ARE DOUBLING OUR PRAYERS THAT YOU CAN ENCORAGE BRAVEHEART TO EAT, AND TO BE A WELL CAT. IF THERES ANYONE WHO CAN DO THIS JEN, ITS YOU.
MY JUKE JOINT JOSEPH WHO HAS JUST GONE THROUGH A TWO HOUR OPERATION SENDS HIS SPECIAL PRAYERS TO BRAVEHEART.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/Scan10154.jpg
GET WELL MY FRIEND, WE WANT TO SEE YOU AS CAT OF THE DAY.

kb2yjx
03-02-2008, 11:48 AM
I am sad to read that Brave Heart is not responding to his new medication. If you go with the blood transfusion, I REALLY hopes that helps!!! Prayers and a little cheque heading out to One by One...Sandra

Laura's Babies
03-02-2008, 12:32 PM
Awe Jen! This breaks my heart! I have such high hopes for that boy. I saw this yesterday and I was so upset I couldn't respond and I have LES now. I am just SO drawn to him, he has stolen my heart for some reason. I love him, care for him in such a way that it baffels me but that is just how it is. I would try that blood transfusion and I hope it makes him bounce right back. His energy is gone and he probably has none left to fight with, a transfusion could give him that energy back and give him a chance.. PLEASE keep us posted as I know you will without asking anyway. I really, really care about this boy so much! Praying really hard for that beautiful sweet soul!

rg_girlca
03-02-2008, 03:09 PM
Oh Jen, I am so sorry that precious Braveheart isn't doing too well.

Big time prayers on the way that he starts to eat on his own in hopes that the medication kicks in.

Come on sweetheart, you can do it, please don't give up.

{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}} Jen.

krazyaboutkatz
03-03-2008, 01:54 AM
Continued prayers and positive thoughts are going out for Braveheart.

jenluckenbach
03-03-2008, 07:44 AM
Another donation!

{{{{{{{Elyse}}}}}}}

BraveHeart is still the same. I will call the vet in about a half an hour to see what they suggest.

I just need to see him perk up a little. :(

Oh, I obviously had not updated of last night. Since he is so fragile, I decided to give him 3 smaller meals yesterday, instead of the 2 meals I was giving before (more like when he first got here). First 2 went well, but after the 3rd feeding, he threw it all back up. :( Maybe I over fed, but I felt real bad for him.

cassiesmom
03-03-2008, 10:32 AM
Another donation!

{{{{{{{Elyse}}}}}}}

I just need to see him perk up a little. :(

You're very welcome!

Dear God,
Could you please give Jen and BraveHeart a good day today. He is one of Your creatures and not doing well. This kitty has touched us here at PT. Please bless their day, God. We would like to see a miracle for this cat if it is Your will.

Thank you, Amen
Elyse

jenluckenbach
03-03-2008, 10:44 AM
A quick update.

BraveHeart went to the vet. His PCV has improved with his 2 doss of epogen. So we are going in the right direction.

A blood transfusion was discussed, but the vet feels he is not a good candidate due to his reduced kidney function. feels that his body will try to reject the foreign blood.

He had an xray:

His heart is enlarged (not unexpected as we do know he has a heart murmur)

He does have a kidney stone.

He has what "appears" to be fluid in the abdominal cavity. Cause, unkown. :( It is not a major amount, but needs to be monitored. A possible way to reduce this would be to use a diuretice, but again, BraveHeart is not a good candidate for this. It could dehydrate him even more.

So, what do we do?

We give the sub-q every day again. We continue with the epogen. We start an antibiotic hoping that if there in infection causing the fluid build up, it can be treated. And we retest blood next monday.

While he still is not up to the point of feeling good that he had been at, I believe he is just a little perkier today. He was bathing himself on the vet's exam table. ;)

Come on BraveHeart, we can beat this!!!!

Medusa
03-03-2008, 10:49 AM
Wow, an awful lot for one little guy to go through. I sure hope that all this turns around soon and that Braveheart feels on top of the world.

Barbara
03-03-2008, 11:10 AM
I am so sorry to hear Braveheart does not feel well.
I think it cannot only be the anemia that makes him feel low. Filou now is anemic too- but still VERY perky, especially in the night.
Have you tried to give him some nice red meat? Of course it is too much protein for kidney kitties- but on the otehr hand keeping weight up is just sa important.

Catty1
03-03-2008, 01:10 PM
HUGS to that brave boy!

Come on, sweetie, you can do it.

Jen, lots of gentle scritchies from me please?

jenluckenbach
03-03-2008, 04:14 PM
One by One got 2 more donations for BraveHeart!!! HURRAY!!! Thanks Candace {{{{{HUGS}}}}} but the second one, I have to admit I do not recognize the name. :o But if she is a pet talk member, {{{{{{JULIA}}}}} from GA.

Barbara, I doubt BraveHeart would even look twice at a nice piece of beef. :( He just isn't hungry right now. Besides, I don't think the problem is his iron level (they say that is a rare form of anemia in cats) it is most likely a lack of red blood cells being made in the bone marrow. That is what the Epogen is suppose to be stimulating.

I have been delivering eveyone's scritchies and kisses (I just love to kiss his little nose). Maybe I'll get Charlie to get photographic evidence of this, tonight. ;)

Laura's Babies
03-03-2008, 04:55 PM
Ok Boy! Lets get at it and get better! We are pulling for you and I have been praying for you off and on all day!

kb2yjx
03-03-2008, 05:13 PM
Jen!! I do not know what to say! I am glad that BraveHeart's PCV has improved, but I am concerned about the " fluid in his abdomen." Ascitis, that is what Molly had. How is BraveHeart's liver??? As they say " the check is in the mail..." Hopefully, One by One will receive it by the end of the week!!! Continued prayers for dear BraveHeart!!!!!!!

phesina
03-03-2008, 05:46 PM
Please deliver more gentle kisses and pets from us to your brave BraveHeart. Keep up the good fight, sweet boy! You have so many people and animals here on Pet Talk who love you dearly and are all sending our loving, healing, strengthening energies to you.

Love, hugs, and purrs,
Pat and cats

jenluckenbach
03-03-2008, 06:49 PM
I am concerned about the " fluid in his abdomen." Ascitis, that is what Molly had. How is BraveHeart's liver???

Since nothing was ever mentioned about liver problems, it must have been normal (since we did COMPLETE blood tests).

kb2yjx
03-04-2008, 03:58 AM
That is good to know that BraveHeart's liver enzymes were OK. Does the vet have any idea why he may have developed this(just the nurse's mind)?? I hope BraveHeart is feeling a bit better. Prayers for BraveHeart!!!!

Catlady711
03-04-2008, 07:25 PM
Since nothing was ever mentioned about liver problems, it must have been normal (since we did COMPLETE blood tests).

With the enlarged heart problem, fluid can accumulate in the abdomen with a heart valve problem. Dusty had that with her congenital heart failure. She had a heart murmer for many years, but the heart only got enlarged and started accumulating fluid as she got older. Her liver tests were fine right up until the end. Just some info.

I hope Braveheart gets through all this with flying colors and a full recovery!!

jenluckenbach
03-04-2008, 07:35 PM
Thanks for the info. This could very well be BraveHeart's problem. :( But if I can give him some love, even if this might be close to the end, I will have done my job.

I was just about to come to update, anyway.

BraveHeart went with me today, for a bath. And oh does he feel and smell wonderful! :)

He also rewarded me by licking some food tonight. Not a lot, but hey, it is an improvement!!!

Now on to the promised photos.

"I am so tired after my bath I think I will just lay here for a while."
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v142/JenLuckenbach/Foster%20kitties/BraveHeart/tired-from-my-bath.jpg

"Don't I look spiffy?"
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v142/JenLuckenbach/Foster%20kitties/BraveHeart/BraveHeart-Mar2008.jpg

"Now I am getting my sub-q fluids. See how good I am?"
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v142/JenLuckenbach/Foster%20kitties/BraveHeart/Getting-fluids.jpg

"OK, I will strike a pose for you!" (that is my roomie, Scarlet, looking at me)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v142/JenLuckenbach/Foster%20kitties/BraveHeart/BraveHeart-3-4-08.jpg

"Thanks for thinking about me. "

Laura's Babies
03-04-2008, 08:08 PM
OMG! I LOVE THAT BOY!!! ♥

cassiesmom
03-04-2008, 08:24 PM
Smooch smooch smoochie hug, sweet BraveHeart boy! And yes, you look wonderful after your bath. Thank you for strikin' a pose and showing your beautiful fluffy tail. Please try to eat some food, if you can.

Catty1
03-04-2008, 09:20 PM
HUG AND KISS!

The photos are great - he looks so nice and clean! And in the photo with Scarlet, his coat looks so soft and woolly!

And he licked some food! Hopeful sign!

IS his fur really soft and nice, Jen?

I hope the fluid goes away and is nothing...keep going, dear BraveHeart. You are safe and loved with your foster mom! :)

rosethecopycat
03-04-2008, 09:49 PM
Oh dear Braveheart, you'll be turning that corner soon and feeling much better.

Hang in there.

krazyaboutkatz
03-05-2008, 12:15 AM
I sure hope that he'll start improving soon. He sure looks soft and fluffy like a little lamb.:) I'll continue to keep him in my thoughts and prayers.

Freedom
03-05-2008, 07:54 AM
I keep reading this thread and following the ups and downs. Prayers for you and Braveheart.

catmandu
03-05-2008, 09:50 AM
Theres A Science Diet Canned Ad Which Canned To Fed Into A Cat, As Its Almost A Liquid.
And When All Else Fails The Royal Canin Baby Kitten Food Always Works For Me.
We Are Sending More Prayers For Big Handsome Brave Heart .

kb2yjx
03-05-2008, 01:21 PM
I sent a pm to CatLady711 to thank her for the heads up info she posted about abdomen fluids caused by heart problems!!! I guess I am just focused on the liver with Molly. Any chance that the vet might give BraveHeart a very mild diuretic to help with the fluids??? How could anyone NOT just LOVE that FACE!!! It speaks volume!!! Please give BraveHeart a kiss from all of us and a nice head pat, tooo!!! Sandra

phesina
03-05-2008, 06:12 PM
Oh, how sweet and clean you are, BraveHeart! What beautiful photographs. It is wonderful to see you looking so good.

And licking some food.. and taking your sub-Qs so calmly and bravely!

Marvelous! What a warrior you are! Fight on, dear boy. You know you have your legions of loving fans praying for you and sending you all our love and healing thoughts and energies.

Love,
Pat, Peony, Poppy, Sydney, Elmer, and Priscilla Angel

Thanks for the info. This could very well be BraveHeart's problem. :( But if I can give him some love, even if this might be close to the end, I will have done my job.

I was just about to come to update, anyway.

BraveHeart went with me today, for a bath. And oh does he feel and smell wonderful! :)

He also rewarded me by licking some food tonight. Not a lot, but hey, it is an improvement!!!

Now on to the promised photos.

"I am so tired after my bath I think I will just lay here for a while."
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v142/JenLuckenbach/Foster%20kitties/BraveHeart/tired-from-my-bath.jpg

"Don't I look spiffy?"
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v142/JenLuckenbach/Foster%20kitties/BraveHeart/BraveHeart-Mar2008.jpg

"Now I am getting my sub-q fluids. See how good I am?"
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v142/JenLuckenbach/Foster%20kitties/BraveHeart/Getting-fluids.jpg

"OK, I will strike a pose for you!" (that is my roomie, Scarlet, looking at me)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v142/JenLuckenbach/Foster%20kitties/BraveHeart/BraveHeart-3-4-08.jpg

"Thanks for thinking about me. "

jenluckenbach
03-05-2008, 08:05 PM
The boy ATE tonight! Nothing earthshattering, but more than a few licks. I actually decided not to syringe him tonight, so he isn't overly full.

I am looking forward to Monday when we can test his levels again. :)

Catty1
03-05-2008, 08:08 PM
YAAY! BraveHeart, keep on eating your nummies, ok? ;)

Dear sweet boy...it's a long haul for him and you, but he keeps getting a bit better, a bit better...

hug him for me! :)

Catlady711
03-05-2008, 08:11 PM
kb2yjx - got your PM. :)

Jen - I'm glad to hear BraveHeart ate some on his own. Hopefully he'll keep doing that more and more. Thinking of you both here.

kb2yjx
03-06-2008, 07:20 AM
Ok BraveHeart!!! You do the best you can in the eating department!! That makes your Mom and all of us happy!!! Good boy!!! Hugs and kisses ffrom all the Clan!!!

GILL
03-06-2008, 07:34 AM
GREAT, BraveHeart we are still pulling for you to fill your tummy, just don't over do it.

slick
03-06-2008, 02:57 PM
I know I don't come to PT that often but whenever I do, I look for Braveheart. There is just something about his little facie that rips my heart out and I'm getting LES just typing this out.

What a precious little boy and his name really fits, doesn't it. He's been through so much. It does my heart good to hear that he's eaten on his own. Keep up the good work Braveheart. You've got my prayers.....every day.

Jen...{{{hugs}}} come to you and please plant a kiss on his forehead from me.

slick
xo

pitc9
03-06-2008, 03:56 PM
What a good boy you are for eating Braveheart!!!

Please give that handsome man a smooch for me!
{{hugs}}

cassiesmom
03-06-2008, 04:09 PM
Here, BraveHeart, this isn't quite as cute as an official I Can Has Cheezburger, but I made this for you...
Please note that the dish is empty -- that's the goal!

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:AADpQR-A0DYn9M:http://www.pressies4princesses.co.uk/img/our-gifts/cat-food-bowl.jpg
My dinner. I eated it.

Pawla
03-07-2008, 09:53 AM
He is a handsome boy. He reminds me a lot of Ellie. How old is he?

phesina
03-07-2008, 10:07 AM
YOU GO, BOY!!! You are doing GRRRRREAT!!!!!

kb2yjx
03-07-2008, 05:26 PM
BraveHeart!! Hope you are still eating!!! Prayers still coming for you!!!

Catty1
03-07-2008, 07:14 PM
Pawla - from post #14:
BraveHeart is estimated to be 9 years old. But no one knows exactly.

Here is his story so far:

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?p=1963795#post1963795

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=138627&highlight=BraveHeart

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=139024&highlight=BraveHeart

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=139444&highlight=BraveHeart

jenluckenbach
03-07-2008, 07:37 PM
Tonight he ate about 1/4 of a Fancy Feast can (with a little added gravy from the morning cat food) AND a tablespoon of baby food. Not bad, for BraveHeart. ;)

Catty1
03-07-2008, 07:41 PM
WOW - for BraveHeart, that's being a PIGGY! :D

You go, Brave Baby! :)

Medusa
03-07-2008, 09:34 PM
Atta boy, Braveheart! You've really earned your moniker, haven't ya?

kb2yjx
03-08-2008, 02:17 PM
Hey BraveHeart!!! Take a look how Mr. Meow is gobbling up everything in sight!!! But you are doing good eating what you can!!!! Keep eating little buddy!!

jenluckenbach
03-10-2008, 10:32 AM
BraveHeart had his PCV (red blood cell count) checked today, and it is NOT better. :( How very dissapointing. :(

We are starting him on Pet-tinic, an iron suppliment. and he will be rechecked (including kidney function) NEXT Monday.

But he is eating (SOME) on his own, and he is obviously feeling better, so these are good signs.

Keep on praying.

Medusa
03-10-2008, 11:19 AM
We pray without ceasing....

Grace
03-10-2008, 01:03 PM
For as long as Braveheart needs them.

GILL
03-10-2008, 02:37 PM
The Crew is still pulling and praying.

phesina
03-10-2008, 03:09 PM
We continue to pray and will for as long as it takes.

Keep going, BraveHeart, that's great that you're eating!

cassiesmom
03-10-2008, 03:27 PM
BraveHeart had his PCV (red blood cell count) checked today, and it is NOT better. How very disappointing.

We are starting him on Pet-tinic, an iron supplement. and he will be rechecked (including kidney function) NEXT Monday.

But he is eating (SOME) on his own, and he is obviously feeling better, so these are good signs.

Keep on praying.
BraveHeart, sweet kitty. I want you to be a copy-cat to Mister Meow and try to eat as much as you can. See if you can finish half a can of Fancy Feast, please. That would be an ounce and a half. I'm glad you're feeling better and I'll keep praying. I hope the iron helps. Jen, is BraveHeart still on the EPO?

kb2yjx
03-10-2008, 03:56 PM
BraveHeart, our Norton is taking Pet Tabs with Iron. He wants you to know that you have to eat a bit more. Do the best you can!!! PRAYERS for you!!!!

Catty1
03-10-2008, 04:00 PM
Jen - I don't know if humans and cats react the same....when I had anemia many years ago, it took 3 weeks of iron to change the reading.

Prayers to BraveHeart, and am glad he is eating...maybe he is too much of a gentleman to be 'piggy'. It's okay, Brave Baby, we won't tell... :D

Catty1
03-10-2008, 04:02 PM
Jen - I don't know if humans and cats react the same....when I had anemia many years ago, it took 3 weeks of iron to change the reading. I was told that the body was busy taking in all the iron where the deficiencies were, and that is why the reading did not change right away.

Prayers to BraveHeart, and am glad he is eating...maybe he is too much of a gentleman to be 'piggy'. It's okay, Brave Baby, we won't tell... :D

pitc9
03-10-2008, 04:11 PM
More prayers have been sent for Braveheart!

Freedom
03-10-2008, 05:42 PM
Braveheart, we are all praying for you, now it is up to you. Do you need a role model? Watch Mr. Meow! Do you need a spoon? Just ask mom. Do you need . . . oh well, you get the picture! Whatever you want or need, we are getting it for you, so let's go! Eat, dear boy. Prayers continuing from RI.

jenluckenbach
03-10-2008, 06:26 PM
Yes, we are continuing the Epogen.

thanks for all the prayers. :)

slick
03-10-2008, 07:52 PM
Oh dear Braveheart.....I'm so glad that you are eating a bit on your own. Keep it up and soon you will catch up to Mr. Meow...then again, we wouldn't want you to become a "wide load".;)

Continued prayers coming your way sweetie.
{{{hugs}}} Jen.

jenluckenbach
03-11-2008, 07:38 PM
I am VERY discouraged. :(

1) his anemia did not resond as we hoped this past week.
2) he would not eat today (AM or PM meals)
3) he hates his new medicine and fights me. (and he is so frail, he feels like he'll break)
4) he is fighting getting his sub-Q's
5) he vomitted what I tried to syringe feed him tonight. :(

But there is one glimmer of hope.......in the throw-up there was DRY FOOD!! :eek: He's been nibbling, even if only a little.

SIGH.....

slick
03-11-2008, 08:18 PM
Oh Jen, how disheartening. :( I can only imagine how hard this must be on you and little Braveheart. More prayers on the way.
{{{hugs}}}

Catty1
03-11-2008, 11:18 PM
He's had a long hard road, as have you. I hope this is just a tough spot before the turnaround.

{{{{hugs}}}} and major PT prayers for BraveHeart!

kb2yjx
03-12-2008, 03:56 AM
I am sad to learn that the med is not working. And that BraveHeart is fighting you so much. BUT, at least he is eating on the sly...More prayers for you both!

Medusa
03-12-2008, 07:31 AM
Sneaky little boy. ;) He's trying his best to get something into him, that's for sure, and he's eating what he feels he can handle. Maybe this is a good sign.

phesina
03-12-2008, 06:54 PM
We're all praying, and we're all with you, BraveHeart and Jen.

Love,
Pat and cats

jenluckenbach
03-12-2008, 07:15 PM
He ate tonight, but not the canned food! He ate dry food (I pour water over it, to soften it) and he licked all the water and actually ate kibble!

I think our problem is that he prefers dry food over canned, but I haven't figured out his "Favorite" one. Combine that with the fact that he has no teeth :eek:

And I got some of his sub-q fluids into him tonight.

He's fairly perky, well, for BraveHeart :rolleyes:

Hanging in there until the monday blood tests.

Laura's Babies
03-12-2008, 08:52 PM
Oh Jen! I will continue to pray for that handsome boy!

Catty1
03-12-2008, 11:30 PM
More and continued prayers for BraveHeart!

krazyaboutkatz
03-13-2008, 12:29 AM
I hope that he'll continue to eat well. He continues to remain in my thoughts and prayers.

orangemm
03-13-2008, 04:35 AM
Any little bit of food is better than none; come on, Braveheart, let's get this show on the road and start eating consistently!! Make your momma proud!! (and make all of us feel better ;) ).

Maybe he should rub up against Mr. Meow? :D

kb2yjx
03-14-2008, 04:28 PM
How is our BraveHeart doing??? Still eating, I hope!!! Prayers....

jenluckenbach
03-14-2008, 07:54 PM
YUP! Still eating. DRY FOOD! :eek: I figured him out to be a cat that prefers dry to canned, but his mouth was too sore for so long that he couldn't eat. He practically snubs the canned food anymore, even the flavors he seemed to like before.

I have not been syrige feeding him for last last several days. (He could use the calories, but I don't want to push his tummy) Let him gain the weight slowly.

I sure hope those numbers look better this time! (test on Monday, results on Wed)

kb2yjx
03-15-2008, 01:25 PM
That's a good boy!!! Now, let's hope for good labs!!!!!!!!!

phesina
03-15-2008, 07:39 PM
Oh, what great news! You keep nibbling that kibble, BraveHeart!!

Catty1
03-15-2008, 07:49 PM
BraveHeart - goals for you:

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/alreadylicked128392284542500000.jpg

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/ihasmanycorms1.jpg

jenluckenbach
03-17-2008, 07:06 PM
I got the blood test values back tonight. :(

All his kidney numbers went UP (not down)

His PCV has not improved

And the vet says there isn't a whole lot more to offer him. :(

I am to try to give more fluids sub-Q, which he now fights. And continue with the medicines for anemia. and retest in 2 weeks.

SIGH. :(

Catty1
03-17-2008, 07:23 PM
Oh, Jen - how discouraging. :(

On the plus side, he is starting to eat. I wonder if dry 'kidney' formula would help?

I really really pray for some improvement next test time! He was so good about getting his sub-q's before.

I pray that it's darkest before the dawn...when things will turn around.

Jen - he is LOVED by you, which is huge. And he is in the hearts and prayers of many ptrs.

It ain't over yet, hon! :)

Medusa
03-17-2008, 07:30 PM
Oh, how disappointing. I'm sorry that this is happening to Braveheart. Keep the faith, Jen. Things may turn around. So many times it has looked as though I might lose Puddy, only to have her bounce back one more time. I'll definitely keep that boy in my prayers.

momtomany
03-17-2008, 07:34 PM
Continued prayers for Braveheart and for you Jen. You never know. Our fur babies can put us through the ringer and come out just fine. We will pray that this will be the case.

cassiesmom
03-17-2008, 07:52 PM
Braveheart, sweety ... what Catty wrote ... Nom nom nom...

phesina
03-17-2008, 07:57 PM
Dearest BraveHeart and Jen, we love you so much and are praying with all our hearts.

Laura's Babies
03-17-2008, 08:21 PM
Yes, we are praying with all our hearts for that boy. I am so saddened to hear this news.

Freedom
03-17-2008, 09:01 PM
Still praying for Braveheart here in RI.

krazyaboutkatz
03-18-2008, 12:29 AM
Jen, I'm sorry to hear this.:( He'll continue to remain in my thoughts and prayers.

kb2yjx
03-18-2008, 05:59 PM
Jen, it is not easy to accept " the numbers " esp when you have been doing all you can do!!! But, we all are pulling and praying so very hard for BraveHeart(and you, too)!!!!!

jenluckenbach
03-18-2008, 06:50 PM
Well, I think this is what we all have to accept.......BraveHeart is dying from kidney failure. :( He won't recover.

His heart is working over-time because of the anemia. And his appetite is low because of the kidney failure.

We are attempting the highest possible dose of the Epogen. And we are also attempting to boost his appetite by using Pepsid (to curb the feelings of stomach upset that goes along with kidney failure).

He needs his daily sub-q's, but will not sit still long enugh for the proper amount. We do the best we can. He is eating, though, albeit not enough, but we will discontinue force feeding him.

So, while I now know that this is one battle I will NOT win :( I also know I gave love to one of society's disposible animals in his time of greatest need.

My selfish wish is for BraveHeart's former person to suffer pain and malnutrition that (s)he inflicted on this gentle soul. :mad:

Medusa
03-18-2008, 06:55 PM
Yes, Jen, you gave your best to this boy and he knows it, even if he is uncooperative w/the subQ's and eating. It's truly a shame that some people just do not care about animals or the pain and suffering that they inflict on them through their neglect. All you can do is what you've been doing and love, love, love Braveheart through it all.

momtomany
03-18-2008, 06:58 PM
I can imagine how hard this is, but you are doing something wonderful for Braveheart. You are giving him love and comfort that he would not have otherwise. He doesn't have to be alone. There are many of us here praying for him and for you also. You and Braveheart are not alone. You have the Pet Talk family with you.

It is understandable to want to wish ill on the one(s) who did this. I don't think there is one of us here that reads and post daily that doesn't or hasn't felt that way...........probably more than we want to admit.

My you feel God's loving arms around you and Braveheart.

slick
03-18-2008, 07:39 PM
:( :( LES
Oh Jen, I'm so sorry. Words escape me right now. I'll have to come back later.
{{{hugs}}}

phesina
03-18-2008, 07:56 PM
I am so sorry. Brave boy BraveHeart, you are LOVED.

rosethecopycat
03-18-2008, 11:20 PM
It's not how many days you live, but how well you live them.

He may defy the odds like my old boy Malfi.

There is nothing set in stone. Enjoy him.

Catty1
03-18-2008, 11:49 PM
:(

Jen - your love and work and that of the vets got BraveHeart from being sick with many many things to "just" kidney disease.

As sad as I feel...gosh he came so far (and might surprise us yet), he is happier and healthier than he has been for a long time. More comfortable.

Please give him loving scritchies for me. {{{{hugs}}}} I wish I could pet him myself.

I don't suppose the person who rescued him has any idea who owned him? I can't understand how a person could be so stupid and heartless about another living being. :(

GILL
03-19-2008, 07:33 AM
The Crew and I still have hope. We are so glad that you are able to give BraveHeart the love he needed and deserved.

catmandu
03-19-2008, 09:38 AM
When John Hancock Lostall But Two Teeth He Wouldnt Touch Canned Food At All.
I Would Tray A Little Kitten Food, Royal Canin Has An Excellent Food That Helped John Hancock, Bo Bo And Joseph.
Please Get Well Braveheart.

Anikaca77
03-19-2008, 09:43 AM
Still Praying for BraveHeart, you have given him so much love and I'm sure he knows how much you love him and I'm sure he is so thankful for you.

Take care,
Melissa

cassiesmom
03-19-2008, 10:35 AM
HUGS and Prayers

jenluckenbach
03-19-2008, 07:50 PM
Braveheart did very well tonight. He ate and took his sub-q's without too much of a bother. And then went to take a bath. ;)

Freedom
03-19-2008, 08:11 PM
Dignity in ALL things, that is the CAT motto. Bath, he hee, grooming himself up to look his best for the ones who love him and care for him. Oh Jen, it's the little things that sometimes get us through! Bless you for loving him and helping him through all of this. Scritchies for Braveheart, {hugs} for you.

Catty1
03-19-2008, 09:11 PM
Good news on the sub q's and the food. Was he a good boy for his bath? ;)

I know kidney disease is a horrid thing...but no reason why BH can't be around for a while yet.

I know, the anemia, and the eating...let's hope the Pepsid makes a difference, and he at least feels better.

{{{hugs}}} to that lovely woolly boy. :)

Emeraldgreen
03-19-2008, 11:13 PM
I just finished reading all the threads about Braveheart and you and he have been through so much in the past few months. I'm so sorry that the tests have come back with results that are not good.
One thing is for sure, you have given him everything possible and considering what he was facing before you brought him into your home, it is so much. He is loved and cared for by you and has the company of your other cats, you guys are his family.
I hope that however many days he has left, that each one has a good moment in it. I really liked what you wrote in one of your posts in the beginning of February and it shows such kindness that he needed so much:

"His favorite thing is a good chin scritchie! (needless to say, he get those all the time) I have been cradling him on my lap to feed him. I rub the top of his beautiful head and tell him how wonderful he is."

I'm so glad he found you. :)