PDA

View Full Version : Spay/Neuter Now Law In LA

lizbud
02-27-2008, 09:42 AM
Finally, a sane law to end careless over breeding & euthanasia for
just space concerns in shelters. I hope more cities do the same thing.
It is about time people become serious about overpopulation.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/AmazingAnimals/wireStory?id=4350304

Pawsitive Thinking
02-27-2008, 09:48 AM
Hope we get that in the UK soon. Frankly, I think they should bring back having to have a licence to own a dog

Losing count of the number of intact dogs I've seen recently (mainly Staffies for some reason)

jackie
02-27-2008, 10:08 AM
That is fabulous news!

I bet a whole lot of backyard breeders are getting upset. Good by designer breeds!

caseysmom
02-27-2008, 10:28 AM
I am very happy about this too, its about time.

Sevaede
02-27-2008, 11:35 AM
I think four months is a bit young for a spay. =/ My cats and dog were all so tiny that I would be afraid of complications risking their lives during the procedure.

lizbud
02-27-2008, 11:52 AM
I think four months is a bit young for a spay. =/ My cats and dog were all so tiny that I would be afraid of complications risking their lives during the procedure.

They have an exemption to delay spay/neuter if you provide a letter
from your Vet. At least that's what it said in this other report.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-pet-sterilization-022708,1,5283375.story

pitc9
02-27-2008, 12:47 PM
That's WONDERFUL news!!!!

KYS
02-27-2008, 05:42 PM
I have mixed feeling on whether or not this law will work.
How will this law be enforced?

Since I always spay and neuter it really does not affect me.
But their are many dog owners out their whom do not license their animals.
and I doubt they will spay and neuter them too.
I can hope it does deter enough dog owners from breeding and that will
make a difference.
Time will tell.

kt_luvs_kitties
02-27-2008, 06:32 PM
Love it! :D

Cincy'sMom
02-27-2008, 06:38 PM
I'm in the LA area this week, and yesterday on the way to lunch there was a blurb about it the radio. The woman I was with was saying how she didn't like the law cuase some people couldn't afford to spay/neuter and what about breeder's? Then she said they should just charge more/yr for a license if they aren't going to alter their pet.

I took a deep breath, bit my tongue (I do have to work with this woman), but then calmly said, if someone can afford to pay more/year for a license, why not just pay once and have the dog fixed? She didn't really have an answer to that, and there were so, so many other comments I wanted to make (like if you can afford proper vet care, why do you have an animal in the first place), but I just let the subject drop.

I don't know if the law is perfect, or how it will play out over time, but I think it is a good first step and will be intersted to see if other areas adopt it.

RICHARD
02-27-2008, 07:02 PM
A few words about this new law.

It's a great idea but the idiots behind it are Richard Alarcon and our Media Whore mayor. Tony Villaraigosa- Alarcon brought his two chihuahuas to get spayed at the new conference.

As a high ranking official who's sponsoring the bill, why are you just getting around to it?

There is no money or support behind it. They truly believe that the money spent on the licenses will cover the cost incurred by enforcing the law.
Nice, if you can get people to cooperate.

Somehow, we have to come up with the people to enforce the law, the money to pay them and court time for the abusers of the law.

I believe that pet owners should be made to cooperate and follow the laws concerning pets and their welfare, but I find the way the law was passed, with little or no fanfare other than a self serving news conference for the signing of the law as a failure to inform the public these two morons represent.

cali
02-27-2008, 09:04 PM
well that confirmes that I will never move to LA lol, I am a big opponant of this law, its stupid, pointless, punnishes the good breeders while giving free passes to the puppy mills, its not enforcable etc..

Catlady711
02-27-2008, 10:06 PM
While I think their hearts were in the right place with the IDEA, I just can't see the point in yet another unenforcable law on anyone's books regardless of what or why. JMHO