PDA

View Full Version : ATTN Glacier

HoochsMommiee
02-26-2008, 08:36 PM
I have a question for you First please do not think that this is a flame or anything basically its just a question

I see that you do alot of sledding and what not with your dog's and I was wondering Do your dog's really love it ( i know nothing about ur breed of dogs)
Cause i know alotta people do sledding with their dog's and they are the same breed as yours.. Is that what malamutes were bred for? I am just curious that is all

I think that your dog's are beauitful by the way

Flatcoatluver
02-26-2008, 08:41 PM
I know your asking Glacier this question.

But dogs were bred to do things. Shetland Sheepdogs were bred to herd, Labs bred to retrieve birds, Setters bred to point. Huskys and Malmutes were bred to pull sleds, there in the AKC Working group. :)

HoochsMommiee
02-26-2008, 09:13 PM
I know your asking Glacier this question.

But dogs were bred to do things. Shetland Sheepdogs were bred to herd, Labs bred to retrieve birds, Setters bred to point. Huskys and Malmutes were bred to pull sleds, there in the AKC Working group. :)

Yea i know about labs and what not but i wasn't to sure about malmutes
so that is why i asked the question

Glacier
02-26-2008, 09:20 PM
I see that you do alot of sledding and what not with your dog's and I was wondering Do your dog's really love it ( i know nothing about ur breed of dogs)
Cause i know alotta people do sledding with their dog's and they are the same breed as yours.. Is that what malamutes were bred for? I am just curious that is all

Yes, they love it. There is no way to force a dog to run. They either want to or they don't do it. My main lead dog is almost 12 years old and if I leave her at home, she follows me around and tells me off for the rest of the day. There is no more serious affront to a sled dog than leaving them behind.

Only one of my dogs is a malamute and he's not a working dog. That gene skipped Heyoka. He makes it very, very clear that he does not want to pull. He's perfectly healthy, extremely powerful and could run all day. He just chooses not to bother.

Malamutes and Siberians were both bred to work. Siberians were bred to pull a lighter load a long way at a moderate speed. Malamutes were bred to pull very heavy loads a long way at a slower speed. If you wanted to go visit your friends in the next village, you took Siberians. If you wanted to move your entire village, you took Malamutes.

In modern mushing, especially competitive mushing, very few people use purebreds of either breed. Most mushers use much smaller, lighter, faster mixes. The current most popular mix is the German Short-Haired Pointer, especially on sprint teams where the dogs don't have to brave the elements for days on end in races. Even distance racing dogs have a high percentage of GSP and hound in them now.

HoochsMommiee
02-26-2008, 09:27 PM
Yes, they love it. There is no way to force a dog to run. They either want to or they don't do it. My main lead dog is almost 12 years old and if I leave her at home, she follows me around and tells me off for the rest of the day. There is no more serious affront to a sled dog than leaving them behind.

Only one of my dogs is a malamute and he's not a working dog. That gene skipped Heyoka. He makes it very, very clear that he does not want to pull. He's perfectly healthy, extremely powerful and could run all day. He just chooses not to bother.

Malamutes and Siberians were both bred to work. Siberians were bred to pull a lighter load a long way at a moderate speed. Malamutes were bred to pull very heavy loads a long way at a slower speed. If you wanted to go visit your friends in the next village, you took Siberians. If you wanted to move your entire village, you took Malamutes.

In modern mushing, especially competitive mushing, very few people use purebreds of either breed. Most mushers use much smaller, lighter, faster mixes. The current most popular mix is the German Short-Haired Pointer, especially on sprint teams where the dogs don't have to brave the elements for days on end in races. Even distance racing dogs have a high percentage of GSP and hound in them now.

oh ok i did not know this and thank you for the information

I bet that its funny when she tells you off for not taking her with
I hope that you did not think it was a flame or i thought that you were being mean cause i wasn't..

I look forward to more photo's oh ur beauitful dogs

cassiesmom
02-27-2008, 01:34 PM
My main lead dog is almost 12 years old and if I leave her at home, she follows me around and tells me off for the rest of the day. Oh, Glacier, I can just hear her giving you a piece of her mind! Mommmmm...

Malamutes and Siberians were both bred to work. Siberians were bred to pull a lighter load a long way at a moderate speed. Malamutes were bred to pull very heavy loads a long way at a slower speed. If you wanted to go visit your friends in the next village, you took Siberians. If you wanted to move your entire village, you took Malamutes. I did not know this! Wasn't there a question in another thread about the differences between the two? Here is more information to add to the answer! Here is a sweet photo of Heyoka and Pingo that illustrates the difference in their size.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Dogs%2008/biglittle.jpg
The big guy and a little girl. Actually Pingo's not that little. She's an average sized husky, about 50 pounds. Heyoka is huge though. He was pushing 130 last time I checked.