PDA

View Full Version : Priceless

Pawsitive Thinking
02-26-2008, 07:00 AM
I had a stone put back into my engagement ring last week. The original ring cost £17 many years ago and the repair cost me £15 - still this cheap little ring is priceless to me!

What is priceless to you?

Pam
02-26-2008, 07:32 AM
Aside from people..... :) But, if you mean material things I would have to say that photos are priceless to me. Years ago my SIL's house burnt up in a fire. She said the only things she couldn't replace were her photos. :( I know that looking at old photos can take me to a special place and that can't be bought with any amount of money. Good thread!

Medusa
02-26-2008, 07:50 AM
Everyone knows my philosophy of "people first". That being said, I still have a little spoon that someone gave me as a gift for my son when he was born. It isn't silver but it's still precious to me. The Disney character Goofy is on the handle and I still use it. It's in my flour cannister and whenever I need to spoon flour, it takes me back to when my son was just a little guy 40 years ago. Makes me tear up just thinking about it.

Pawsitive Thinking
02-26-2008, 08:18 AM
Sorry - should have said excluding pets and people ;)

moosmom
02-26-2008, 08:51 AM
Aside from my cats, I'd have to say my daughter. She is my miracle kid after surviving brain cancer at the age of 16. She will be 32 in March and has been cured (according to the ACS).

Material wise? My Nanny's wedding ring which I hold near and dear. After my aunt died (she had all of Nanny's jewelry as well as alot of her own) it was the only thing I got. You could've knocked me over with a feather!!

Lilith Cherry
02-26-2008, 11:02 AM
Pam, may I suggest you scan all your precious photos and put them on a dvd which you can keep in a safe place like a deposit box at the bank or a relative's house. That way even if you lose the originals you still can reprint them. Works for love letters etc too ;)

lizbud
02-26-2008, 12:16 PM
I have a silver Claddagh ring that is priceless to me. My Mom had one
and my daughter does too. :)

They look like this..............

http://www.chiff.com/home_life/holiday/st-patricks-day/claddagh.htm

shepgirl
02-26-2008, 12:25 PM
I would have to say my family pictures are what I value the most. I am in the process of scanning them to put on discs, and I send a copy to each one of my kids in case something would happen to one set.The memories that go with the pictures are something that can never be taken from me.

Karen
02-26-2008, 12:40 PM
May I suggest that when you save your photos to disk, you include labels and whatever story you know, no matter how small, that goes with it? Subsequent generations will thank you!

cassiesmom
02-26-2008, 12:42 PM
Brody's Mum, that's a really hard question! I'm trying to think room by room.

What's priceless at my house? Priceless = not easily replaced, in my mind. So I'd have to say the following...
-The contents of my top left dresser drawer - my degree certificates from high school, college, graduate school; the Bible I received for my eighth grade graduation; several handkerchiefs that were my grandmother's; and a stash of photos.
-Curio cabinet - the hula girl music box my grandmother brought home from Hawaii. When we visited her when I was little, she'd let me take it off the shelf and then she would set it in motion for me. Looking at it reminds me of those visits. More family photographs but these are school pictures of my nieces and they're in frames.
-Bedroom closet - big box of photographs. Little box of photographs - some from my grandmother's house, family snaps from before I was born. I really should get those into proper storage with acid-free paper.
-Kitchen - two pictures on the wall. One is my youngest niece's hand prints in red paint, and two purple hearts, which she made in pre-school. The other is a water color my second youngest niece made in pre-school. Those should probably go in proper storage, now that I think about it. My nieces are 16 now and the pictures were done when they were five.

I agree with Lilith about the pictures. My sister's former next door neighbors had a house fire and lost just about all their family photos. After that my sister had copies of her wedding photos made and put in a lock box at the bank, just in case.

shepgirl
02-26-2008, 01:10 PM
Why didn't I think of that idea Karen...thanks for posting it. You are so right about posting clips about the pictures. We have some photos of my parents that we have no clue about...guess the forgot the future generation.

Killearn Kitties
02-26-2008, 05:32 PM
May I suggest that when you save your photos to disk, you include labels and whatever story you know, no matter how small, that goes with it? Subsequent generations will thank you!
:D There speaks a family historian. There is nothing more frustrating than coming across boxes of photographs of people when you don't know who they are! What a waste it is when people cannot tell their story.