PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know anything about Liver Cancer?

jennielynn1970
02-24-2008, 05:07 PM
One of my dad's best friends was just diagnosed with Liver Cancer. He called me today, in tears, because he said Guy (his name) called him and told him the news. Guy's doctor told him to "get his affairs in order." Not a good sign.

My dad is so upset, and he's saying he wants to donate part of his liver to his friend... I said it has to be a match first for that to happen. His friend with the liver cancer is also a doctor. He's a podiatrist in my home town, and has always been such a wonderful person, and has been there for my dad throughout all his medical issues. He just got remarried 1yr ago, and they just adopted one of those huge white fluffy dogs... I forget what they're called...Great Pyranese or something? The sucker is the size of a small horse!

I've been doing searches online about liver cancer, and nothing seems too positive for the later stages. I have no idea what stage he is in, or how long he's had it, just that it was diagnosed on Friday or Saturday.

Anyone ever had to deal with this type cancer or someone who had it??

Medusa
02-24-2008, 05:47 PM
I've not dealt w/this and I've not known anyone who has but I just wanted to offer some comfort and support for you and your friend and your Dad. Perhaps if this gentleman is in the early stages, more can be done for him. I'll pray for him, too, along w/all my other PT family. What is his first name?

krazyaboutkatz
02-24-2008, 05:57 PM
Jenn, I'm so sorry to hear this.:( I don't know much about it but hopefully his was caught early enough that there's some kind of treatment for it. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way.

jennielynn1970
02-24-2008, 08:57 PM
What is his first name?

His first name is Guy.

Karen
02-24-2008, 09:19 PM
I do not have any experience with liver cancer. He will be in our prayers.

Catty1
02-25-2008, 12:21 AM
I knew a fellow that had Hep C - and at one point they did do a liver transplant.
Trouble was, the cancer had gone into the bile duct, and he did die several years later. This happened about 5 years ago.

I guess it depends how far along and where it is.

Prayers that there is more information soon, and that there might be a treatment available.

Now, don't get bummed out - I just lost another friend to this - but she was very comfortable and still cracking jokes on her last day.

And there are people who get well too! :)

Hugs and prayers for Guy. Maybe your dad will be able to help him out, you never know! ;)

HUGS

jennielynn1970
02-25-2008, 06:46 AM
I'm hoping they'll be able to do something to give him more time. I'm just wondering if he knew something beforehand and didn't say anything... He is one of the nicest, sweetest, most down to earth men I have ever met. He's been my podiatrist for years, and has been there for my dad throughout all of his illnesses, and has always talked with his other doctors and helped him out with meds and stuff like that. He just has this energy that gets you, and his smile is out of this world. I'm really hoping and praying that the "getting your affairs in order" was more of a joke than being said in seriousness.

My mom tried to get more info out of my dad last night, but my dad said he couldn't remember what Guy had said on the phone, he was just so upset with what he had been told, that nothing really sunk in, so he's upset about that too. My dad's a big softy, and he's just a wreck right now, I really feel for him. This is a friend who has been there for everything with him for the past, geez, 30 years, and he went through so much with his own family, he just deserves to actually be happy and relaxed for a while.

Daisy and Delilah
02-25-2008, 09:04 AM
Jennie, I can only offer thoughts and prayers for Guy, his family, and all of you. It really does seem that bad things sometimes happen to good people. He sounds like a wonderful man.

I hope he doesn't have too much pain and suffering throughout this illness.
{{{{{HUGS}}}}}