PDA

View Full Version : A problem with Sunday and Saturday

momcat
02-23-2008, 05:18 PM
Hi PT friends, Not long ago Groucho told all of you that he was going to be a big brofur to Sunday and Saturday, 2 kittens living under our porch. As we were getting ready to bring them inside an adult cat showed up with identical markings and coloring. Soncat and I tend to think this cat might be their mother. Both Sunday and Saturday are old enough to be independent but this other cat is extremely protective of them. She won't allow us to get anywhere near them. She becomes aggressive, hisses and bares her teeth while clearly in an attack stance. When this happens, we keep as close as she'll allow and talk to her in a soft, reassuring voice but it just seems to upset her even more. The last thing we want to do is upset this other cat any more than she already is. We don't know for sure that she is their mother. Since first finding the babies, we've tried our very best to care for them and keep them safe. Right now we don't know what to do. Any thoughts?

moosmom
02-23-2008, 06:11 PM
If the kittens are old enough to be away from their Mom, it's time to do a little humane trapping. Get a Hav-A-Hart trap from any Humane Society or pound. Put the on a flat surface, if possible. Take a can of smelly sardines and put it on a paper plate cut out in the pie shape. Stick it at the end of the trap (passed the switch plate). Then open the door, you'll see the switch on top. Cover the trap with a blanket and then set the switch.

On the floor of the trap, put some shredded newspaper so they can't feel the grill of the trap. Covering it also calms them down, as they WILL thrash about. Nothing to worry about. The worse I saw was a cut nose. No biggie.

The older the kittens get, the more feral they would be and the harder it is to tame them and find them homes. You may get the mama first, which will be good, since she'll need spaying. The kittens usually always stick close together. So if you have set the trap again, you may get them all at once. Hey, you may get lucky and get the whole brood in the trap. Good luck and please keep us posted.

Freedom
02-23-2008, 06:35 PM
Yes, -- what Donna said!

rg_girlca
02-23-2008, 10:21 PM
I also agree with what Donna said. Maybe mama will settle down if you keep talking to her and putting food down for her.

Whatever happens, I pray that it will all work out in the end.

Please keep us posted on the situation.