PDA

View Full Version : Mother hates her Daughter!

Trisst
02-23-2008, 02:29 AM
OK.
I have a siamese cat called Sim-Sim. We have had her for about 3years and she is the centerpeice of my life. A few months ago Sim-Sim had kittens. I dont know who the father was but he was obviously a black cat because of the 4 kittens she had 3 of them were pitch BLACK. These three were girlys, and we named them Mini, Viper and Petal.
The one boy was a black and white. we called him Peekaboo cause the first time we saw him he kept ducking behind a big plant pot!
Anyway, We have given them all away to good homes except the friendliest one Petal.
We all love her even if shes a little annoying and shes a really fun cute little thing.
The thing is that ever since the kittens grew up Sim-Sim has been constantly avoiding them. Then when they were all sent away except Petal Sim-Sim has just been detesting her daughter. Petal is about half a year old.
Every time Petal follows her to chase her or play with her or whatever Sim-Sim hisses like crazy wacks her and runs away. And the thing is silly little Petal keeps on following her.
Can someone please give me an answer?
Why does Sim-Sim hate her daughter and why oh why is Petal still following her?
THX

carole
02-23-2008, 02:38 AM
I am no expert, but i too have a mother and daughter,and i would not say mother hates her but she is unkind to her, she will attack her for no reason, and chase her outside,they used to be more friendly, but mother kitty can be mean, i think it can be normal for mother cats to do this, i really have no idea why, my theory is, they want to be the dominate cat, and maybe they think their daughter should be moving on, now they are all grown up, who really know's maybe someone else can shed some light on it, but i think it is quite normal all the same.

Catty1
02-23-2008, 06:49 PM
The mom cat doesn't want to be a "mom" anymore. Maybe as the kitten gets older, she will mellow.

Are you going to have Sim-Sim spayed? :)

Trisst
02-24-2008, 01:50 AM
We had her spayed a few weeks after the kittens were sent away.
I was very reluctant against it as it is so fun to have kittens about the place but i suppose it is for the best since people tell me that she will be more relaxed and live longer now.

moosmom
02-24-2008, 08:43 AM
I'm glad you got her spayed. Although it's fun to watch a live birth, try watching a live euthanasia. That'll change your mind very quickly.

Once kittens are weaned, Mama's can be very stern. Sounds like that's what's happening

Trisst
02-24-2008, 10:35 AM
Thank you for all the information!
I hope they will both soon grow out of it so that we needent keep seperating them.
If you have any more theorys why my cats are doing this please post it here.
Thank u again. :)

carole
02-26-2008, 02:27 PM
Hey yes please do, i also have been wondering what it means lol. :)

Trisst
02-28-2008, 09:15 AM
If you still wanna be frosted check your PM in the top right corner

nancys
02-28-2008, 04:01 PM
Mollie June did the same thing with her 1st litter of kittens, after they were a few months old. If they got to close to her, she would hiss and slap at them. I thought she must be "pushing them out of the nest", so to speak.

momcat
02-29-2008, 03:14 PM
We seem to be having the opposite situation. We found 2 small kittens living under our porch. Keeping them was a problem with our landlord's wife so we fed them and tried to take care of them while trying to find a shelter or rescue that could take them. No such luck! Finally we decided to keep them. As we were getting ready to bring them inside, an adult cat showed up literally out of nowhere. Even though this older cat has very similar markings and color, we're not 100% sure it's their mother. Well, this older cat now won't let us get anywhere near the kittens. If we try, she'll put herself between us and them then hiss, bare her teeth and take the attack position. We're at a loss trying to figure this one out especially since the kittens were here alone for quite some time and are certainly old enough to be independent of their mother. Right now we're attempting to get a humane trap for all 3 of them so hopefully they can go to a better situation.