PDA

View Full Version : The Blues - My objection - does it make sense? (UPDATED - The entire paper)

CountryWolf07
02-22-2008, 09:39 AM
Here is what I have written: FEEL FREE TO HELP ME CHANGE IT AROUND to make it any more sense.. remember, I am going against the thesis that white people CAN sing the blues..... (it is just an objection..)

This is the thesis:

Can white people sing the blues? Yes. Why not? It may be a silly question but it is the talent and ability that musicians have that allows them to play the blues, regardless of the race.

This is the objection:

According to George Carlin, “What have white people got to be blue about? The Banana Republic ran out of khakis?” His point, if you’re rich, then about what is there to be blue? But yet, by saying it, white people have not suffered enough as much as blacks have. Blues themselves express the hardships of life that the blacks went through. The music served as an outlet to let out a lost love, sadness, and death. It is considered authentic as emotion is involved. If whites have an outlet for their emotion, it is called country music. Many would say yes, due to that most is about sadness and love. Comparing to the blues and country music, they both are very different styles, such as the ethnicity being the reason. Country is known as “hillbilly” music, white blues. In my opinion, country music is authentic to whites as the blues is authentic to the blacks. Although, the blues are incorporated with different genres such as country and rock, only because whites have participated with the genre, or borrowing the blues to mix into their type of music they are looking to play. Artists such as Eric Clapton, Johnny Cash, Elvis Presley, and many others have borrowed the blues to add style and emotion to their music.

DJFyrewolf36
02-22-2008, 03:55 PM
Good start and for the most part I am inclined to agree with you. Although just to play the other side, Stevie Ray Vaughn was a white blues artist and a darn good one at that. His music had all of the elements that made blues great and I wouldn't classify him as a country artist at all. But he happens to be an exception rather than a rule.

CountryWolf07
02-22-2008, 04:14 PM
Thank you. I just have to come up with a objection of saying why should it be against that whites can play the blues.. so it is a very interesting topic. :)

Edwina's Secretary
02-22-2008, 05:25 PM
Would that mean then...based on your premise...that blacks cannot sing country western music?

CountryWolf07
02-22-2008, 06:47 PM
Nope, I am only objecting, because I *have* to. Otherwise, my real feelings - anyone can sing ANYTHING they want.

RICHARD
02-22-2008, 07:01 PM
Hey, don't forget thatTed Kennedy is a perfect examples of why White men an't sing in Spanish! :confused: :eek: :D

Karen
02-22-2008, 07:59 PM
I cannot help you, as I was was raise firmly believing that music had nothing to do with skin color. My grandfather and his brothers had a "barbershop" quartet and loved to sing the old Spirituals, even in the days when people from on them singing "colored folks music." Music belongs to all people, regardless of skin color, height or ethnicity.

I could give you plenty of arguments to the contrary of what you want ... but I guess that wouldn't be helpful!

DJFyrewolf36
02-22-2008, 08:09 PM
Nope, I am only objecting, because I *have* to. Otherwise, my real feelings - anyone can sing ANYTHING they want.

No kidding. Although you make a fairly convincing arguement to the contrary. :)

CountryWolf07
02-22-2008, 08:37 PM
My thesis is can white people sing the blues? Yes. Why not? It may be a silly question but it is the talent and ability that musicians have that allows them to play the blues, regardless of the race.

Anyone can sing the blues and it depends on their topic of choice. It can be authentic and be from the heart. All music, including the blues, comes from the soul. If
you are rich, poor, middle class, black, white, fat, skinny, and so on, he/she may do whatever style of music to be performed. When it comes down to authenticity, the author, Joel Rudinow feels that the answer to the question is yes, unless you’re a racist.

The article concludes that the assumption of an individual is understood to have certain rights relating the products of his/her creative work. The proprietary argument states that the blues’ musical and expressive elements are the subjects of the reason of argument. For example the rock group, ZZ Top has imitated the music by John Hooker Lee. It is served as a purpose of style, to add onto their music. The experimental access argument states the questions of meaning and understanding the significance of the blues. The true meaning of the blues is deep, hidden and only accessible to those who are African Americans who have that experience. Others may take interest, such as the whites, and experience the genre. It is considered inauthentic considering their attempt of playing the blues. Although it is human spirit that seeks and recognizes the ability to play. The blues are incorporated with different genres such as country and rock, only because whites have participated with the genre, or borrowing the blues to mix into their type of music they are looking to play. Artists such as Eric Clapton, Johnny Cash, Elvis Presley, and many others have borrowed the blues to add style and emotion to their music. To the black community, seeing that occurring, gives them a reason to say it is known as the “The Great Music Robbery”. It is a pattern of white imitators’ music that becomes accepted into the cultural mainstream. Yes, white people can sing and play the blues, but no, they do not have the ability due to the differences of music genres.

According to George Carlin, “What have white people got to be blue about? The Banana Republic ran out of khakis?” His point, if you’re rich, then about what is there to be blue? But yet, by saying it, white people have not suffered enough as much as blacks have. Blues themselves express the hardships of life that the blacks went through. The music served as an outlet to let out a lost love, sadness, and death. It is considered authentic as emotion is involved. If whites have an outlet for their emotion, it is called country music. Many would say yes, due to that most is about sadness and love. Comparing to the blues and country music, they both are very different styles, such as the ethnicity being the reason. Country is known as “hillbilly” music, white blues. In my opinion, country music is authentic to whites as the blues is authentic to the blacks.

In other words, white people can play the blues as long of having the familiarity and legitimate access of expressing the genre. Neither of the arguments has said whites can not play but can play. There is no right or wrong conclusion of the thesis’ argument. It is the matter of questioning its ethnicity, not race.

Catty1
02-22-2008, 09:12 PM
Just wondering, and not trying to be a wet blanket :) , but if it was a teacher who thought this topic up, it risks becoming a bit racist, whether someone wants it to be or not.

JMO ;)

CountryWolf07
02-22-2008, 09:33 PM
It's for Art Philosophy, though. We all had our choices, and I chose this topic, and I chose to say whites can sing the blues, anyone can, really.. not just only blacks. But you know..

Honestly, is it a good paper to turn in, at least. This is college level.

Catty1
02-22-2008, 09:41 PM
Maybe just ask the prof about the topic chosen, and ask if it is acceptable for this assignment.

It was just my two cents, nothing more.

So you're better off checking with an expert! :)

CountryWolf07
02-22-2008, 09:54 PM
I actually did, and he said it was fine.

Catty1
02-22-2008, 09:54 PM
There you go, then! :)

cassiesmom
02-29-2008, 09:34 AM
Here's the quote. Reader's Digest, September 2007, page 112.

Jon Stewart: "Jews and blacks express our suffering differently -- blacks developed the blues, while Jews complain. We just never thought of putting it to music."