PDA

View Full Version : Driver's License laws reviewed...Opinions??

moosmom
02-21-2008, 12:36 PM
Here in CT, there have been MANY teen motor vehicle deaths (4 accidents in the past 2 months killing 6 people) and our Legislation is looking into changing the laws.

Some of the accidents were alcohol/drug related, while others had speed in the mix as well as alcohol, and wreckless driving.

Any 16 year old can get a license providing they pass all the necessary tests. There is a curfew of midnight that they are looking to move up to 10 pm. Also, the current law allows passengers. They want to change that to immediate family ONLY. They also want to boost the age to 18, as their argument is they are not mature enough to drive such a big, "deadly weapon".

I say AMEN!!!! Any comments?

davidpizzica
02-21-2008, 12:48 PM
Donna, those law changes sound as if they'll save a lot of teenager's lives, and innocent people in other cars. I think a lot of other states (including Pennsylvania) can do well to pass this type of legislation also.

Karen
02-21-2008, 12:54 PM
I disagree with changing the age, as 16 is the age when many kids get jobs and need to be able to drive to them. I would not disagree with a curfew, and frankly think cell phones should be disallowed while driving for anyone under age 90. Many states have laws that there can be no passengers besides immediate family and under the age of 18 or something ...

smokey the elder
02-21-2008, 02:43 PM
New York has graduated privileges, where a teen can earn a license at 16 1/2, but with limitations that go away with time and a clean driving record. Provisions exist for driving to work and/or school. Basically, the initial license stipulates only immediate family members; then you can carry one non-family member, and on up to full privileges. AAA pushed for years to get this passed, and when it did, the effects were pretty immediate.

Karen
02-21-2008, 02:58 PM
Some of the accidents were alcohol/drug related, while others had speed in the mix as well as alcohol,

The alcohol and drugs are obviously illegal, as is the excessive speed - enforce those laws better, and you'd have a start at fixing the problem.

Catlady711
02-21-2008, 06:02 PM
The alcohol and drugs are obviously illegal, as is the excessive speed - enforce those laws better, and you'd have a start at fixing the problem.

I agree.

I also think that it's not the age at which a person gets their license or curfews or anything of the sort.

When I took drivers ed (long time ago I know) we didn't have curfews, graduated programs or anything. The requirements? Class time and a mere TWO hours of behind the wheel training which (believe it or not) was cancelled when the weather was rainy (the classes only happened in the summer anyways). And for class time if you couldn't read then they had someone read the tests to you. (huh????) Our final test was not even done behind the wheel, it was a 15 question test, pass that and they stamped you as able to get a license. If anything, even given that LOUSY excuse for drivers training, our teens seemed to have less accidents than the current teens do today. My thoughts on why? The PARENTS spent much more time with the kids on the learners permit driving and helping kids to drive safely and properly. (although given the poor excuse for drivers ed the parents had to just so the kid could be able to drive)

I think that if they spent WAY more time on behind the wheel, in all sorts of weather, and make people go back to having to pass the drivers portion with a cop in the passenger seat, even if it's snowing/raining/windy.

Just my $.02 worth.

caseysmom
02-21-2008, 06:17 PM
Here in california they can't have friends in the car for one year after getting their license. I think if they are irresponsible they shouldn't be allowed by their parents to drive, my daughter will be seventeen next month and has no driving priveleges. My other daughter can drive the day she turns 15 and a half. I think every kid is different.

They say the very young and the very old are the most dangerous, I am in the good margin for a bit longer :D

DJFyrewolf36
02-21-2008, 08:35 PM
My parents spent a lot of time with me teaching me how to drive and I think I am a far better driver than what I would have been had I taken a class. My parents also restricted my driving until they knew I was safe behind the wheel. I think that enforcement of the current laws will work better than poor enforcement of more restrictive laws also I think parents should be a lot more involved in the process.
In Nevada I know they have restrictions on when teens can drive and the passengers they can have. Up here I think they have similar laws. A lot of teen deaths in Nevada do involve DUI and speeding, but the cerfiew laws have curtailed that a bit.

Alysser
02-21-2008, 09:18 PM
I am not only saying this because I am a teen but they keep pushing back the ages and I also agree with Karen that kids get jobs at 16 and need to drive.

In New Jersey, you get your learners permit at 16 and a licensed driver needs to be in the car with you. At 17, you don't need a licensed driver driving with you anymore and you can drive ONE family member and ONE other person. At 18, you can drive any number of people you want. If you pass the proper test I don't see why your age matters. Making arguments like "they aren't mature enough" seems a little silly. It really depends on the person. In this situations, the good ones have to suffer because of immature people. Not all teenagers would do that and I'm sure the driving teachers can tell if a person is to immature to drive during the 6 hour tests. Making generalizations is really stupid.

moosmom
02-22-2008, 09:28 AM
Every young person's maturity level is different, I guess.

as 16 is the age when many kids get jobs and need to be able to drive to them

I do believe most cities have buses. My daughter is 31 and had a brain tumor at the age of 16, so she can't drive. She takes the bus EVERYWHERE, so HAVING to drive to a job really isn't a very good argument. That is unless you live way out in the boonies where the buses don't run. That's a totally different story. When I was 16, I didn't have my license yet, so had to take the bus. I didn't get it till I was almost 18, then bought my own car with my own money.

Ahem, that WAS of course way back when a brand new '73 VW Beetle cost a total of $2400 including license, tax, etc.