PDA

View Full Version : Help with New Name

Fuzzy317
08-18-2002, 02:00 PM
This is the cat we recently began fostering. She is spayed, 1.5 years old, and needs a new name. Right now she's going by "Boo-Boo-Kitty-Boots" (maybe you "Jay & Silent Bob" fans get the joke). :D

She's sorta shy but left her last home because of a dominance issue with an elderly cat, who has recently been diagnosed with an undefined type of tumor. This foster will stay with us until the other cat is well or otherwise. There is a chance the owner will allow us to place her (perfect home = little old lady who wants nothing more than to have this only cat in her lap to dote on all day), but that's a remote possibility <how many perfect homes can there be??>.

You can tell by my signature that we tend to stay away from standard style pet names. Oh, for the record, she's not scowling at us or the camera - she's just watching Ginger and Eli VERY carefully.

Please help us out by suggesting new names for this little girl.

krazyaboutkatz
08-18-2002, 03:03 PM
What a sweetheart. :) I'll have to think about a name though.

toughCookie
08-18-2002, 04:04 PM
beautiful cat! I can't think of a name, but, I think it should be something royal sounding, something very dignified. I don't know what her personality is, but she looks very regal.
maybe something like, henrietta, or alicia, alexis...maybe a last name, and a mrs in front of it? I can't quite think of one that fits.
theres alot of good pet name websites that could help you.:cool:

Nomilynn
08-18-2002, 05:25 PM
The first thing I thought of was Mocha because of her colouring.. she's VERY pretty! :D

How about Maggie, short for Magnificent? :)

sasvermont
08-18-2002, 05:40 PM
Lady Jillian or L.J.?

or Julie....or Mocha is good too!

Great photo of such a sweet kitty. Hope she finds just the right home soon!
:)

lailamara
08-18-2002, 06:48 PM
Such a beauty. She looks like a kitty I used to have whose name was China and another who was darker but with similar markings and her name was Ursula. Charlotte, Cassie, Maggie May, Morning Glory, Willow, Serena, Contessa?However if you like unconventional names.....I don't know. She'll do something that reminds you of someone or something and voila.... you'll have a name. Good Luck!

Miss Meow
08-18-2002, 06:53 PM
I like Mocha too.

And maybe Baci, which is Italian for kiss - we get Italian gelati in the Baci flavour which is the two colours of your beautiful kitty.

Vi Co Bi
08-18-2002, 09:39 PM
If it helps, the owner is a filmmaker with a love for the old black-n-white movies. Her favorite actress is Kate Hepburn, but I don't know anything about old movies. I originally suggested naming the cat after one of the characters Kate played in her movies but she still never came up with a name she liked (which is why she added the Boo-Boo-Kitty to the original name Boots - to encourage her to find something else).

Fuzzy and I are so anxious to rename her. After the last animal we named - "Hey Dog" - we really want to do better.

popcornbird
08-18-2002, 10:16 PM
Mocha's a good name! I thought of Chocolate or Candy but I think Mocha's better. How about Sylvester? Naa, that's a black anf white kitty name. Maybe Fluffy or Mitten (ryhmes with kitten)! :D If I think of anymore, I'll let you know.

Vi Co Bi
08-18-2002, 10:20 PM
If it helps, the owner is a filmmaker with a love for the old black-n-white movies. Her favorite actress is Kate Hepburn, but I don't know anything about old movies. I originally suggested naming the cat after one of the characters Kate played in her movies but she still never came up with a name she liked (which is why she added the Boo-Boo-Kitty to the original name Boots - to encourage her to find something else).

Fuzzy and I are so anxious to rename her. After the last animal we named - "Hey Dog" - we really want to do better.

AmberLee
08-18-2002, 10:48 PM
She looks like a dilute calico to me, so I was thinking Calypso.

If you are really looking for a Kate Hepburn related name, hmm. Among her hundreds of roles she played Tracey Lord in Philadelphia Story, one of my favorites... Jo in Little Women waaaaay back when... Rose in the African Queen. [There's a thought, what about Ayque for A.Q.: African Queen -- picks up a tribute to Kate, and a tribute to the ancient cat worship in Egypt several millinium back. Too obscure??]

Karen
08-18-2002, 11:41 PM
I looked at her picture and immediately thought "Powder" as she looks like she's been powdered, her colors are so soft and muted.

If she's a Katherine Hepburn fan, why not Katie Kitty? She looks too soft and sweet to be just "Kate"

popcornbird
08-18-2002, 11:48 PM
Cottoncandy, Fudge, Misty, .............................................think ing of more names.....................:rolleyes:

krazyaboutkatz
08-19-2002, 12:16 AM
I also like the name Mocha. :D

toughCookie
08-19-2002, 12:50 AM
Lady Jillian is a nice name, I had also thought of Lady, but hadn't thought of a name after it. but that would be good, Lady-something or mrs- something. maybe do a search for royal names?

popcornbird
08-19-2002, 02:47 AM
Cupcake, Mini, Peanut, Butter, PeanutButter..................................I think Mocha's the best. Have you decided on a name yet?

giztig2crazy
08-19-2002, 03:08 AM
i know this is a common name but i think it matches perfectly , smokey!:D

LoudLou
08-19-2002, 03:25 AM
Kate Hepburn fan?

Sylvia Scarlett....1935

Phoebe Throssel aka Olivia 'Livvy' .... Quaility Street 1937

Rose Sayer... African Queen 1951

Jane Hudson.... Summertime 1955

Lizzie Curry...The Rainmaker 1956

Vinka Kovelenko...The Iron Petticoat 1956

Bunny Watson... Desk Set 1957

Agnes... A Delicate Balance 1973

Eula... Rooster Cogburn 1975

Miss Pudd.. Olly, Olyy, Oxen Free 1978

Ethel Thayer... On Golden Pond 1981

Grace Quigley ...Grace Quigley 1984

Ginny... Love Affair 1994

Hope these help.

lynnestankard
08-19-2002, 03:25 AM
picking up amber's train of thought....katherine hepburn.....african queen.....CLEOPATRA?.....humphreybogart ....lauren bacall ....betty ....elizabeth.....QUEEN LIZ?......HER HIGHNESS?.....
etc etc etc.

but when i saw her lovely picture the name that came to mind was - CHLOE.

lynne

Fuzzy317
08-19-2002, 03:27 AM
We have only had Boo-Boo a day and a half, so no name(s) is(are) picked yet. Also, we probably should give her "mother" a list of the suggested names to choose from (we are only fostering anyway).

Fuzzy317
08-19-2002, 03:29 AM
Originally posted by LoudLou
Kate Hepburn fan?...Hope these help.

I was looking for a list of her movie screen names, thanks a lot. !

LoudLou
08-19-2002, 03:34 AM
http://us.imdb.com/Name?Hepburn,+Katharine

:D

lynnestankard
08-19-2002, 03:40 AM
KATE AND FUZZY - CAN'T YOU GUYS SLEEP? IT MUST BE ABOUT 4.40 IN THE MORNING OVER THERE!! GIVE OR TAKE THE ODD HOUR DEPENDING ON TIME ZONE!!

LYNNE

LoudLou
08-19-2002, 03:43 AM
I'm a night owl.... Going to bed now... WAY early for me 1:41AM. :D ;)

lynnestankard
08-19-2002, 03:47 AM
'NIGHT - 'NIGHT GOD BLESS KATE - SWEET DREAMS.

IT'S 9.50 AM HERE!!

LYNNE

Fuzzy317
08-19-2002, 03:49 AM
Its 4:50 am here. I work at night, so I am up anyway.

lynnestankard
08-19-2002, 04:01 AM
it's great - knowing who's up and about over there - and at that ungodly hour!! is vicobi keeping you company or like everyone else grabbing the zzzzzzz's?!!

lynne

Fuzzy317
08-19-2002, 04:07 AM
vicobi works 8:30 - 5:00 during the day, so she is home sleeping. I get home just long enough to have about 1-1.5 hours of cuddle time before she has to get up and get ready for work.

Chinadoll
08-19-2002, 08:58 AM
Awwww! She's beautiful!

Names...Some unique ones... Frazzle, Shenanigans, Miss Demeanor (heard that one from someone before and thought it was cute)

I also like Anya, Anabella, Sophie, Madeline, Isabella...How about Lady Isabella or Queen Isabella?

No matter what her name, she is a cutie!

Vermontcat
08-19-2002, 09:44 PM
After looking at the cat's photo, I think she looks like a Natasha or Tasha for short or even a Sasha. Something a little exotic to go with her long hair of multicolors. I also like the idea someone had of naming her for one of Katherine Hepburn's movie characters, some good choices in that list or someone else mentioned the name Chloe.:)

NoahsMommy
08-19-2002, 09:56 PM
How about:
Grace
Anabell
Emma
Julliana
Madalyn
Ashyln
Audrey
Sophie
Mae
Helena

She's really pretty!

Chinadoll
08-20-2002, 09:24 AM
oooh! I like what Noah's Mom suggested...Grace...How about Lady Grace?

Noah's Mom...Looks like we have the same taste in names..I also suggested names like yours....Anabella, Sophie, Madeline. Can you tell what I'd be naming a little girl if I ever have one?!

08-20-2002, 12:07 PM
I love "Ginny" , "Maxine ", but her fur also makes me think of spices , so : "Salt and Pepper" !!

NoahsMommy
08-20-2002, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Chinadoll
oooh! I like what Noah's Mom suggested...Grace...How about Lady Grace?

Noah's Mom...Looks like we have the same taste in names..I also suggested names like yours....Anabella, Sophie, Madeline. Can you tell what I'd be naming a little girl if I ever have one?!

How funny! Same here!! :)

toughCookie
08-20-2002, 03:19 PM
I like the name Agnes and also, Grace. Lady Agnes? or my lady?

Vi Co Bi
08-20-2002, 07:53 PM
I like Lady Jillian. The owner is also an X-Files fanatic - we might have a winner!!

Vi Co Bi
08-20-2002, 09:41 PM
<I don't know why my posts keep getting doubled - please forgive me.>

duplicate message deleted

Vi Co Bi
08-20-2002, 09:59 PM
I was just on the phone with Boo-Boo-Kitty-Boot's mom and she's come to a decision. The winner is:

Livvy (Olivia)

Once she heard that name, that was it. I really though she'd go with Maggie (or variations on) or Jillian (or variations on), but she surprised me.

Method to the maddness? Well, it combines two references she's very keen on... first, Kate Hepburn's character (she wasn't very familiar with that movie, congrats for stumping her!) - second - Liv Tyler (as Arwen, from LOTR).

Thanks to everyone who gave suggestions. My friend is very happy to have the cat unburdened with the old name. She wanted all of you to know she appreciates the help and knows that the cat (formerly known as Boots then Boo-Boo-Kitty-Boots) will appreciate it as well.

Vi Co Bi
08-21-2002, 05:03 PM
Livvy's housemate, Teaser, traveled to the Rainbow Bridge today. His liver and kidneys started failing and there was nothing left to do. The exact cause of his illness was not known. Considering what she has already spent on vet bills (only to get the "we don't know what it is, but we know what it isn't" line), I'm not sure if the owner is going to be able to have more tests done.

Livvy will be staying with us for a while longer until her owner has put herself back together.

Miss Meow
08-21-2002, 06:10 PM
Oh no, I'm so sorry about Teaser. That's dreadful news - please pass on our thoughts to your friend.

krazyaboutkatz
08-21-2002, 09:41 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of Teaser.:( I sure hope that your friend can recover from this terrible loss. I would think that Livvy could help her with this. Please tell her how sorry we all are.

AmberLee
08-22-2002, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by Vi Co Bi
...The winner is: Livvy (Olivia)...

Hmm, I like it. I REALLY do. ;) :D

:( So sorry to hear about Teaser. Please convey our respects and good wishes to your friend.

[Snuggle Livvy for me, please? Thanks.]

lynnestankard
08-22-2002, 05:33 AM
such sad news about teaser - rip little furbaby. please pass on condolensces to your friend.
would a cuddle with livvy help d'you think? it may be a comfort to her.

lynne