PDA

View Full Version : how sad...RIP Shilo?

JuniorxMyxLove
02-20-2008, 05:53 PM
my neighbors have basically killed three dogs. Their dogs.

The first was Ginger, an adorable golden retriever who was hit and killed by a car due to complete lack of training and no collar or fence (not even electric!)

The second was Misty, a dalmation they put down because they were tired of her smelly ears (she had some sort of infection, I think).

Then the third, and most recent, was Shilo. They got her from a rescue in Indiana where she had been taken from an abandoned warehouse. She was starved there and out of 5 dogs the rescue got from there, only her and her mom made it.

Once they (neighbors) got Shilo home, they didn't do any training whatsoever with her. They just fed her and made her very very fat. She'd snapped at me more then once when I was over there, but I didn't really pay attention to it.

But apparently it had gotten really bad. Sometime earlier this week she bit Mrs. T's hand and broke it. I guess Shilo was just playing and was really excited and things just got out of hand. They were supposed to have Shilo put down yesterday, but now they think she might have rabies so the animal control is watching her for 10 days. If the T's had just taken her to the vets regularly and gotten her vaccinated (not to mention trained her) Shilo would still be here.

On top of that, the T's want to get a great dane puppy.

These are the people whom I thought were neglecting their bunnies. They left them for a week without food/water, and cleaned their cages maybe twice a year. (seriously 8 inches of compressed poo) They also let the bunnies breed and have babies constantly...did I mention they're kept outside, covered with a tarp, even when they're having babies or have young babies?
]:

Do you have any ideas on what I can do to keep the T's from getting a great dane puppy?

ARGGGGG I really needed to tell someone, and you guys always listen.

Freedom
02-20-2008, 05:57 PM
UGH how frustrating to watch all this!

I remember you posting about the bunnies.

Can you call the ACO and see if there is any way they can prevent these folks from getting more pets? If they can't do anything, then maybe have a chat with a city councilor?

I am so sorry. I HATE dealing with nutty neighbors! It seems like they are always "in your face," just because of the proximity.

Catty1
02-20-2008, 06:54 PM
I agree with Freedom.

I think Animal Control needs a history on these people and their animals.

What idiots! Or there is some sick person in the family. :(

Even better, if you can write/fax or email a letter, that would be good. Phone them first, then say you will follow up with a letter.

Bless you for trying to prevent more animals from dying at that house.

Catlady711
02-20-2008, 08:11 PM
If they aren't vaccinating how did they get Shilo from a rescue in the first place? Around here they call and check vet records on previous or current pets for neutering and vaccinations.

Best you can probably do is report it to animal control. If you don't mind mad neighbors you could try reporting it to your local paper and see if they'd run a story on them, that could have horrible backlash though.

buttercup132
02-20-2008, 08:37 PM
:( How very very sad.
I remember the bunnies too, has anything improved with them?

Smelly ears are usually a infection and cleared up easily with antibiotics, I don't think Dals are prone to ear infections so getting it cleared up once should have fixed it. It's sad that a vet would put down a animal with basically nothing wrong with it. We can hope they didn't put it to sleep and found it a new home.

I agree with calling AC. But won't your mom not let you or something?

JuniorxMyxLove
02-21-2008, 04:00 PM
well they got her from a rescue like 4 states away...so idk.

the bunnies haven't improved much...apparently they found two babies frozen to death so they moved them into the basement. Still a ton of poo, and one of the little boys decided it would be fun to throw the poo everywhere :[ the basement is literally caked in poo its disgusting. The mom bunny is like 4 years old and she's had like 10 litters, starting from a VERY young age. I feel so bad for them.

I haven't head any updates on Shilo yet...my fingers are crossed and right now I'm working at my mom to look into getting Shilo if she doesn't have rabies. We can only hope that she doesn't and that they don't decide she's dangerous.

Misty was also really old and had bad arthritis (and yet they yelled at her for being too lazy) so that might have been why the vet agreed to putting her down..

No one is sick in the family, just lazy.

buttercup132
02-21-2008, 04:12 PM
So, what about calling AC?

pitc9
02-21-2008, 04:15 PM
Even if the rescue is a few states away you can still call them and let them know what's happened to the dog they gave to them. Hopefuly they would care enough to look into it and add them to the national "Do not adopt" list and maybe once they're on it they don't be able to get the puppy.

Orrrr... go about it another way and once they start looking for the puppy find out where they'll be getting it from and warn that shelter/breeder about them.

It's all so sad.... they HAVE to be stopped from owning any other animals EVER!!!

Catlady711
02-21-2008, 05:52 PM
Smelly ears are usually a infection and cleared up easily with antibiotics..It's sad that a vet would put down a animal with basically nothing wrong with it.

Normally I'd agree with you there BUT...

About 2 years ago we had an elderly client with a cocker with a horrible ear infection. We tried numberous meds, ear flushes but the lady just could not get the meds in the dog. We even went so far as to have her bring the dog in every day for antibiotic injections. What started out as a yeast infection as I recall, ended up turing into a nasty case of staph that was unresponsive to antibiotics. (contagious, the nasty one you read about in the papers that kills people).

The lady had an assortment of health problems and had been letting the dog sleep in her bed, run all over her house and play with the grandkids. Now mind you we're talking about a deadly staph infection. The dogs ears just oozed infection down the sides of it's face and stunk something fierce. Finally with a little prodding from her granddaughter she finally consented to have the dog euthanized.

Normally the vets here won't put down a dog for an ear infection, but given the human health risk and the culture report, and the dogs declining health they decided it was the best thing for everyone.

I'm still convinced that if the meds had been given properly and early on this would never have progressed to that point.

It's a shame when people don't take smelly ears seriously.

Tora Oni
02-22-2008, 12:16 PM
All the ideas sounds good expecially the one contacting the Rescue ceneter. I would also check in with the local Animal Control and ask how to put an end to these peoples lack of humanity. If these people can not care for these animals like they would a baby they shouldn't have any. :mad:

JuniorxMyxLove
02-22-2008, 03:37 PM
well no update on Shilo yet...but i'm a little scared to ask.

I have a feeling that if they got a dog, they would be stupid enough to get a poorly bred, inbred messed up dog from a backyard breeder.

I don't know what rescue they got Shilo from..only that it was in Indiana.