PDA

View Full Version : What BBC stuff do you like?

smokey the elder
02-20-2008, 03:15 PM
Richard's Top Gear thread made me think of the BBC in general. If you get BBC America, what shows do you like? I like Dr. Who and Torchwood and used to like Ground Force and Absolutely Fabulous. I think Graham Norton's intro about using closed captioning to "translate" the British accent is funny. I love the Welsh accents in Torchwood.

Suki Wingy
02-20-2008, 03:19 PM
My all time favorite BBC show is THE YOUNG ONES, (it's like, really heavy, guys.) :D :p

http://www.cultv.co.uk/YOUNGONES.JPG

cassiesmom
02-20-2008, 04:51 PM
It's not BBC America but I like to watch the BBC news on public television.

lizbud
02-20-2008, 04:55 PM
I read stories from their website, but don't watch any BBC TV shows.

RICHARD
02-20-2008, 05:35 PM
I used to hate Gordon Ramsay......Until I saw the restaurant show where he goes in to help the owner.....The scary part of it is seeing some of the slop that is hidden in the fridges! (Here in Lost Angeles they put a letter grade on the front window....the Health Dept inspects the eatery and gives them out. Some of those places would not open again!)

OH MY! I was a little surprised at the "s" word and some of the stuff that would never get past our TV censors. :)

I like Coupling - THat is a real funny show- clever writing and much more intelligent than any U.S. sitcom shows. There is a smartness about the humor. It's not the potty/smarmy neighbor/disrespectful child crap that passes for entertainment here.

I barely got into Torchwood...

I do lust after Katty Kay (is that spelled right?)
I laughed at the Richard guy that does the news, haven't seen him in a while..

I do like the Question Session that the PM does, that shows on PBS on Sunday nights. I think the House should have a bar and serve drinks and ping pong balls. That would be more entertaining than the slap fights that go on in the far eastern political gatherings!

Moesha
02-20-2008, 05:41 PM
I don't do well with British humor. I can't even watch The Office even after it isn't using the British scripts. I did watch a few episodes of MI3 or MI6 or something like that a few years ago. It didn't last long and neither did my interest. My youngest sister loves Robin Hood though and my mother likes Keeping Up Appearances.

Freedom
02-20-2008, 06:17 PM
Don't get BBC or BBC America, but we do watch a lot of BBC things on PBS.

We've watched the British comedies so much I practically know the words by heart for most episodes!
Keeping Up Appearances
Waiting for God
Are You Being Served?
'Allo 'Allo!
Last of the Summer Wine
One Foot int he Grave
CHEF (gosh I wish that one lasted longer, it was fantastic!)
Yes Minister
Vicar of Dibley (OMG TOO too funny! and they manage to address some SERIOUS issues!)
May to December
Brittas Empire (not so keen on this one)
One Foot in the Grave (only seen a few of this one)
Dad's Army

I've watched Posh Nosh a few times but can't seem to follow that one!

Also love
Ballykissangel
Monarch of the Glen (is he EVER gonna marry the RIGHT one???)
Hetty Wainwright
Inspector Lynley(who hoo!)

And of course the old Taggart is fantastic!
Inspector Morse (WHY do the actors die in the ones I enjoy watching?)

I seldom have difficulty with the accents, as my mum was British. The exception was Taggart, with the Scottish accent. I REALLY had to concentrate to follow the dialogue on that one!

dukedogsmom
02-20-2008, 06:26 PM
Love Graham Norton! Miss Ground Force and Changing Rooms. Why do they show that stupid Bargain Hunt all the time? Love Hotel Babylon and Doctor Who. Also, How Clean is Your House and You Are What You Eat. Though they must not have made much of either because I think I've seen them all.

Edwina's Secretary
02-20-2008, 07:00 PM
Upstairs/Downstairs, Jewel in the Crown, To the Manor Born (thanks Randi!), All Creatures Great and Small....

Okay...they are all old but they are classics!

cassiesmom
02-20-2008, 07:35 PM
My mom and my sister love "Keeping Up Appearances".
"Are You Being Served?"
"No, Honestly" (I can still sing the theme song all these years later ... No, honestly / I knew you were meant for me / Nothing's gonna change the way I feel about you) Good night, Clara!
"All Creatures Great and Small" ... watched it on public television, read the books and pointed out when the story lines on TV deviated from the stories in the books! I loved that show!
"Monty Python's Flying Circus" ... I was the only kid in school who knew about Monty Python - then I got to college and met a whole ton of other people who did! Spam, the Ministry of Silly Walks, the Lumberjack Song...
"The Vicar of Dibley" ... Dawn French just nails it for me

RICHARD
02-20-2008, 07:38 PM
You Are What You Eat.

DUDE!
What is it with the poo? :eek: :confused: :(

Chica
02-20-2008, 08:49 PM
I watch Torchwood. I just fell into it and liked it. I like sci-fi stuff.

Moesha
02-20-2008, 09:30 PM
Another one that my mom just loved...Father Ted. And a friend of mine used to like one with Hamish on it. I don't know if it was called Hamish or if that was just the guy's name. Needless to say I didn't watch it. :confused:

Emeraldgreen
02-20-2008, 09:37 PM
'Good Neighbours'!! That was a great english comedy about a self sufficient couple living off their land who had next door neighbours who were a stuffy business oriented contemporary couple and they all became good friends despite their differences. Very funny!

Suki Wingy
02-20-2008, 10:20 PM
My friend keeps raving about Balls of Steel, which he showed me a small clip of on youtube, but other than that I don't know much about it. It's a gameshow.

cloverfdx
02-20-2008, 10:54 PM
Little Britain, and anything that Matt Lucas and David Walliams have been involved with :D.

smokey the elder
02-21-2008, 08:16 AM
DUH!! How could I forget Monty Python? :D

anna_66
02-21-2008, 08:26 AM
Torchwood for sure, love the Sci-Fi stuff. And of course Graham Norton...outrageous:D

Randi
02-21-2008, 10:13 AM
I love British TV and have seen quite of few programmes over the years. Some are running for a long time, you know!

I enjoy the house hunting/house design programmes, and I also like most of the cooking shows. At the moment, it’s Anthony Worrall Thomson, who seems quite a nice chap... is it because he talks like someone I know. ;)

"As time goes by" is also one I like, good actors and I like the style. The following are really great!

Monarch of the Glen
Brideshead Revisited
To the Manor born
Inspector Morse
Bergerac

In the funnier category, I had a good laugh over these - some are quite old.

‘Allo ‘Allo
The young ones
Absolutely Fabulous (first 12 are the best!)
Mr. Bean
Rab C. Nesbitt (you won't understand that!)
Vicar of Dibley
Yes, Minister
Faulty Towers
Monty Python's Flying Circus
Not the Nine O'Clock News
Alas Smith & Jones
Top Gear
Grumpy old men
Grumpy old women

I’m sure I’ve forgot some, but these are classics, especially Faulty Towers and Monty Python's Flying Circus.

Sparklecoon
02-21-2008, 10:37 AM
I don't get BBC America but I did get into 'Dr. Who' on the Sci-Fi channel and caught up with all the story lines by renting the seasons from Netflix. I really can't wait to get 'Torchwood' and get my Capt. Jack fix.

Elf Shadow
02-22-2008, 12:24 AM
Top Gear is one of my favourite shows,and Robin Hood as well.oh yes and Monty Python.

Pembroke_Corgi
02-22-2008, 05:42 PM
I really enjoy most of the BBC productions. My favorite sitcom is "The Vicar of Dibley," it is way too funny! I'm pretty sure I've seen all of the episodes at least 5 times. :D I also like a lot of the dramas they produce, like Pride and Prejudice.

sparks19
02-22-2008, 10:15 PM
I like all the Gordon Ramsey shows

Kitchen nightmares

The F word

Both are great shows. I love Ramsey... hubby and I are currently reading his autobiography.

smokey the elder
02-23-2008, 08:21 AM
They seem to get away with a bit more cussing and...ahem...adult behavior than the FCC tolerates for US network programming. But in the States we tolerate much more violence. Go figure...

RICHARD
03-02-2008, 03:37 PM
I did a mini Torchwood marathon last night....

First two and a half episodes of season 2.

I like the fact that there are some 'loose strings' that you know will come back in future episodes...

Suki Wingy
02-28-2009, 09:02 PM
Bumping up an old thread! It's funny how I had never heard of Torchwood when this thread was started, and now it's one of my favorite shows. It's like the Angel to Doctor Who, only better! I love John Barrowman.

I don't have a tv now so I watch all my ty online, and among the shows I regularly watch are Secret Diary of a Call Girl, Doctor Who, and Torchwood. I'm planning on moving to the UK at the end of this year and I can't wait to get REAL BBC!

Randi
03-01-2009, 05:58 AM
I'm planning on moving to the UK at the end of this year and I can't wait to get REAL BBC!
You'll love it! :D Where in England are you planning to live?

Did you know that Adrian Edmonson (Young ones) is married to Jennifer Saunders? (AB Fab).

catnapper
03-01-2009, 08:40 AM
I love BBC America!!! I was just checking out our ondemand menu yesterday in high hopes there would be more Gavin and Stacy.

I am addicted to "you are what you eat" -- its amazing how much we eat without realizing it. My husband has cut back portions since watching the show (and lost 50 pounds because of it!)

Suki Wingy
03-01-2009, 11:17 AM
You'll love it! :D Where in England are you planning to live?

Did you know that Adrian Edmonson (Young ones) is married to Jennifer Saunders? (AB Fab).

Yep! They live on a farm. :) I don't have anywhere in particular in mind, but I am confident that I can find a riding school or horse yard looking for someone to work for them in exchange for a place to live and training towards my British Horse Society exams. I'm already doing something similar right now in Wisconsin. I found them through this website. http://yardandgroom.com/

RICHARD
03-01-2009, 11:29 AM
I recently got into Dragon's Den, That is a good show.

Last Restaurant Standing. I loved the promos where they mentioned the host and how hard it is to understand WHAT he is saying!:D

kokopup
03-02-2009, 12:23 PM
My wife loves "Are you being served ?" and "keeping up appearances"
I usually watch with her and enjoy them.

from Smokey the elder post

I think Graham Norton's intro about using closed captioning to "translate" the British accent is funny. I love the Welsh accents in Torchwood.

That statement about needing closed captions for the brit's is not true for me. I have a hearing problem and normally need closed captions for American TV. The woman's voice in particular I have trouble understanding. For some reason I do not need closed captions for British TV.

DJFyrewolf36
03-02-2009, 02:43 PM
My favorites are Are you Being Served, Keeping up Apperances, Red Dwarf, Dr Who, and The Young Ones

smokey the elder
03-03-2009, 03:33 PM
Has anyone seen Primeval? It's a monster show with a lot of intelligence and soap opera aspects. The idea is that there are these temporal anomalies that leak creatures from different times in Earth's past and future, and our heroes need to evict the creatures and close the anomalies.

Suki Wingy
03-03-2009, 11:11 PM
No but it sounds awfully like the rift in Torchwood! I'd probably like it a lot.