PDA

View Full Version : How do I get them to stop doing these things?

buttercup132
02-20-2008, 11:58 AM
I have two problems here.

#1. It's just Milo, as soon as you step away from your lap top for 2 seconds he is up on there laying on it and messing my computer up. How do I get him to stop going up there? I can't use a spray bottle by my lap top or anything wet.

#2. Just recently Duck has started tipping over my garbage can at night and some how geting the lid off and getting into my garbage.
It's a fairly big can so I can't move up higher, not that, that would stop him anyways.

What do I do?!

Catty1
02-20-2008, 01:40 PM
Hmmm....

1. For the laptop - do you have the lid of a thick cardboard box that you could put over it like a cover? Corrugated cardboard so he can't squish it.

Or, find a box that fits and cut it down.

Or - dollar store shallow plastic container that you can turn upside down on the laptop.

2. Duck - DUCK TAPE! Get duct tape and make sticky rolls to put underneath the can so it sticks to the floor - and just one or two easy to remove bits on the top to keep the lid closed.

Or, find some clamps you can use on the top, if the lid and can has a 'lip' on it to hold the clamp.

Good luck!

Karen
02-20-2008, 01:46 PM
Yes, either make a habit of closing up the laptop, or covering it up ... and is there a cabinet you could move the trash can into?

buttercup132
02-20-2008, 02:05 PM
It would be such a pain to open and close my lap top just to step out of the room for a minute. When you close it, it restarts. So if I just want to go to the bathroom or go get a drink it would become a huge pain.

The can is in my room so no cabinets to put it in.
My can looks like this (well it's not as nice and colourful but it's the same type) it's a little smaller like medium size.

http://www.buzzle.com/img/articleImages/521227-46.jpg

catmandu
02-20-2008, 02:09 PM
Its very hard to stop a Cat once they decide that something is fun. My sucess level with the Found Cats would depress Norman Vincent Peale.
Good luck with Your Nawtee Ones. The cardboard lid sounds like a good idea to me.

Freedom
02-20-2008, 02:12 PM
When I am using the laptop and need to leave for a short time, I set it on the floor turned in facing a piece of furniture. The keyboard slides under the furniture, the monitor is up against the furniture. Prevents any pets from stepping on the keyboard and doing stuff! :D You won't be able to teach them NOT to stop on it, sit on it etc. At least, I haven't found a way in almost 2 years!

As for the trash can, you have to get a new one with a different type lid. I had to change all the trash cans in my home as the cts figured out how to tip and dump everything. Tipping doesn't bother me, it is the dumping!

Good luck!!

Catty1
02-20-2008, 02:29 PM
The furniture idea for the laptop is great!

If you can't get a different type of trash can, and if there is no kind of clamp for the lid...then I think it is DUCK TAPE! ;)

emily_the_spoiled
02-20-2008, 02:41 PM
I find that my guys only go into the garbage if there is something "interesting" in there (but what is interesting to a cat may not be interesting to us :rolleyes: ) I always make sure to empty it out regularly and don't put anything "tempting" in it.

Good luck

Medusa
02-20-2008, 05:11 PM
I just bought a trash can w/a lock on it, believe it or not. It's to prevent pets and kids from getting into the trash. I can't for the life of me recall the name brand and I just now looked to see if the name is on it anywhere but it isn't. I got it at Bed Bath and Beyond, though, and I'm sure you'll see them there. It has wheels on the back and a soft close lid, which I also like a lot. When you step on the pedal for the lid to go up, it closes softly. Then you can lock it at night to keep Duck out of it. (It's just a slide lock, nothing complicated.)

columbine
02-20-2008, 11:47 PM
Cats sometimes sit on laptops for the warmth. Would a heated bed pad distract Milo? Wear a T-shirt for a couple days and then put it on the warming pad to give it that Eau de Beloved effect!

Love, Columbine

moosmom
02-21-2008, 10:27 AM
Ari loves to sit on my laptop because of the warmth. Take the top of a Xerox box and put it over the laptop. It's strong enough to protect the laptop.

MooShoo broke my breakfast tray last week by sitting on it. At 17.6 pounds, I wasn't at all surprized.

As far as the trash can is concerned, WOW!!!!!! :eek: Is there anyway you can secure the can (velcro maybe?) and the lid (duct tape). Or put it in a closet where he can't get at it.

They can be pesky little critters, huh??