PDA

View Full Version : Why books?

smokey the elder
02-20-2008, 07:47 AM
I'm just curious why amazon.com has a banner now. (Not that I'm complaining; I have most of the books being advertised!) It's not slowing the site down or anything.

Edwina's Secretary
02-20-2008, 12:26 PM
Maybe their marketing research has shown a connection between people who like animals and people who buy books online?

signed...a person who likes animals and buys books online (as well as in bookstores!) :D :rolleyes: :D

Ginger's Mom
02-20-2008, 12:37 PM
If you have purchased from Amazon, they are somehow linking your IP address with the ads being sold on the header. In other words Amazon and Pet Talk are sharing our information, somehow. It is showing me ads for all of the items I have purchased from Amazon.com (books on American Eskimo dogs, movies and blenders). I am pretty sure it isn't a coincidence.

Edwina's Secretary
02-20-2008, 12:45 PM
I buy my books on line from Barnes and Noble. And it is showing books I have not bought (as well as products I do not use.)

Paul
02-20-2008, 12:48 PM
   I was just curious how this Amazon.com system worked. I am going to remove the ads. Pet Talk does not share the info with Amazon. In this case, we designate a certain amount of space on our web page and Amazon.com fills that space as best they can. We have no idea what Amazon is showing to our members.

Paul

Ginger's Mom
02-20-2008, 12:53 PM
That is why I prefaced my remarks with if you have purchased from Amazon. So everyone is getting ads for blenders and books on breastfeeding and American Eskimo dogs?

Paul
02-20-2008, 01:32 PM
   Once your computer begins to load the page from Pet Talk, it asks Amazon.com to fill the ad space. If an Amazon cookie is present, your web browser will send your Amazon cookie back to Amazon's server so that they may attempt to display ads that are relevant to you (and, if possible, relevant to pets).

The Pet Talk server never even knows if any ads were shown on your computer.

Paul

Freckles
02-20-2008, 01:50 PM
In the last year I've purchased several items for my accoustic guitar through Amazon, so now I'm seeing guitar related items in the banner.

In a related subject, in the Dog of the Day and Cat of the Day Google ads, I've seen ads for a Portland photographer who specializes in Pet photos. Perhaps Google targets their ads to geographic locations?

Karen
02-20-2008, 01:57 PM
Yes, we do know Google tries to geolocate their ads, that is true! I get Boston-based things advertised from time to time.

smokey the elder
02-20-2008, 02:07 PM
I've never bought books from Amazon.com, but the books displayed are epic fantasy, whihc is my big guilty pleasure! :D :p

Grace
02-20-2008, 02:17 PM
I've enjoyed the book ads. Reading is one of my passions (6 books arriving from B&N today), and I have seen books up there that I may purchase.

anna_66
02-20-2008, 02:21 PM
It is pretty strange. I've been seeing ads for NASCAR books, and I like NASCAR:D

Moesha
02-20-2008, 05:48 PM
This is so funny, because I don't like to read so the ads I see aren't for books. Right now I have Anti-Ick-Poo Gell and what looks to be a Superman figurine. A minute ago I had a calendar and a heated cat bed. Interesting. I don't think I've gone to Amazon.com since I purchased this computer.

ETA: After I posted one of my ads changed to an Adorable Humidifier...Animals Frog.

Edwina's Secretary
02-20-2008, 06:50 PM
I have mom's calendar (and I am not a mom) guitar something, the frog humidifer, and occasionally it changes. I do have an account with Amazon but rarely use it.

Now something about rescuing animals in New Orleans!

Cookiebaker
02-22-2008, 02:20 PM
Consider me enlightened!!!

I was wondering why *every* page that has ads like that, that I ever go to, the ads are always about babies!!!

Now, I know.

:p

Grace
02-22-2008, 02:55 PM
Oooops - no ads up there right now. Does that mean they have gone away?

Karen
02-22-2008, 03:13 PM
Yes, Paul has taken down the ads for now. When we find another, better program, we'll put something else up.