PDA

View Full Version : Dasher: 2/27 Benign!

dukedogsmom
02-18-2008, 08:25 PM
Dasher has a questionable lump on his paw and he'll be staying at the vet's Thursday for a biopsy. I'm getting nervous because I don't want to leave him and also because the anesthesia, especially on older dogs. Here's his thread about the history of the lump.
http://www.petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=138741
http://www.boomspeed.com/dukedogsmom/021608_1.jpg
http://www.boomspeed.com/dukedogsmom/021608_2.jpg
On a happier note, after we got back from the vet last week, I gave Dasher part of his Valentine cookie. Petco had a cookie decorating/photo with your dog party on the 9th. It was all free! We had to wait in line for forty minutes but it was worth it. Dasher got to meet lots of dogs. They had Kong peanut butter in icing bags and sprinkles for decorating your cookie. I tried to do a paw print in it but the sprinkles covered it up.
http://www.boomspeed.com/dukedogsmom/020908_1.jpg
http://www.boomspeed.com/dukedogsmom/021408_1.jpg
May I eat it now, please?
http://www.boomspeed.com/dukedogsmom/021408_3.jpg
http://www.boomspeed.com/dukedogsmom/021408_2.jpg

Karen
02-18-2008, 08:33 PM
Awww, a sweet valentine for sweet Dasher!

K9karen
02-18-2008, 10:41 PM
I know how you feel about leaving your boy, Val. I'm sure the vet will take great care of Dasher, knowing his history. I'm praying the biopsy show nothing serious..something that can be easily fixed so Dasher stays healthy.

The cookie looked so good, you had me fooled that it was for Dasher! He sure has more patience than I would before digging in! Looks like he enjoyed your special Valentines gift!

Pembroke_Corgi
02-18-2008, 10:46 PM
Awww, poor Dasher! I hope everything will turn out to be ok. I know how hard it is to leave your special dog at the vet.

It looks like he had an awesome Valentine's Day though. What a yummy looking cookie! :)

Daisy and Delilah
02-18-2008, 11:24 PM
I love Dasher. He's such a sweetheart. {{{{{GIANT HUGS TO DASHER AND VAL}}}}}

caseysmom
02-18-2008, 11:27 PM
Dasher, Please don't be frightened Thursday your Mom is making sure she does all she can so you live a long happy life try to be brave sweetie.

Pawsitive Thinking
02-19-2008, 04:34 AM
Kisses to you Dasher

pitc9
02-19-2008, 07:10 AM
Val, GREAT job on decorating the cookie for him! It's clear to see that he enjoyed it!

{{HUGS}} and prayers for both you and Dasher!

joycenalex
02-19-2008, 07:20 AM
sending prayers and thoughts for both of you. i really love black dogs

Logan
02-19-2008, 08:11 AM
Val, I hope everything will go fine on Thursday. I know you are concerned and I don't blame you one bit!

The Valentine cookie is beautiful and I know that gorgeous boy enjoyed it!!! :)

Bengalz
02-19-2008, 09:10 AM
Val,
You and Dasher are in my thoughts and I wish you both the best result on Thursday. Not wanting to leave him is so understandable and your day will be a long one for sure. Be strong - Dasher knows how much you love him and he'll be back with you in no time.

Dasher's cookie looked scrumptious and he was so smiling as he munched on it :) Thanks Mom :D

cloverfdx
02-19-2008, 09:15 AM
Sending lots of good thoughts Dashers way, and {{Hugs}} for you Val.

The cookie sure did look good, you did a great job :).

cassiesmom
02-19-2008, 09:51 AM
Val, I hope everything will go fine on Thursday.
Same here

Sparklecoon
02-19-2008, 10:01 AM
Fingers crossed that it comes back benign.

4 Dog Mother
02-19-2008, 11:44 AM
Thoughts and prayers for you and Dasher, Val. I hate it every time I have to leave one of my babies at the vets even if it is for only the day. Hope the bump is nothing to worry about.

That cookie sure looked good! I think I might have ate it instead of giving it to the dog. Or at least make him let me share it!

K9soul
02-19-2008, 12:03 PM
Val, you and Dasher are in my thoughts and prayers. I love his big cookie, what a good boy! :)

Jadapit
02-19-2008, 12:05 PM
Dasher is such a sweetheart. His cookie looks yummy, beautiful too. Dasher will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Rachel
02-19-2008, 03:39 PM
Val, Tucker had to have a lump like this removed about a month ago. They first did a biopsy which was inconclusive. Then they removed the lump and tested it. The results were came back negative for cancer so he didn't have to have his toe removed, which would have been a second operation. We had his teeth cleaned during at the same time and he needed two extractions, so that turned out to be the biggest deal. He was on two different antibiotics and some pain killers during the whole process. He is just fine now and I'm thinking that Dasher will also have a good result.

The challenge was keeping that bandaged foot dry (when he went outside) and keeping the bandage from being removed by him. After the initial 5 days or so, we resorted to using a toddler sock instead of a bandage. He also had a doggy boot and we used little plastic bags underneath when he went outside. That veterinary tape is ever so helpful. They sell it at PetsMart. You might want to have a roll of that on hand along with whatever other supplies you might need for rebandaging the paw....gauze, etc.

chocolatepuppy
02-19-2008, 06:04 PM
Val, quite a few years ago my Shepherd/Collie RB Corey had a tumor (non cancerous) removed at 11 years old. Dasher is going to be fine. I know you will still worry, I know I would too. Pawsitive thoughts and prayers going out to Dasher. He looks so happy with his cookie. :)

cyber-sibes
02-19-2008, 08:15 PM
Pawsitive prayers going out for Dasher & you. What a wonderful cookie!

Rachel
02-21-2008, 11:45 AM
Thinking of Dasher today.

pitc9
02-21-2008, 12:22 PM
Val, you and Dasher are in my thoughts and prayers today and always!

Pawsitive Thinking
02-21-2008, 12:46 PM
Good luck gorgeous boy

caseysmom
02-21-2008, 12:59 PM
Good luck today sweetie.

cassiesmom
02-21-2008, 03:23 PM
Val, have you heard back from the doctor's office yet? I know they won't have any results yet today. Dasher, HUGHUGHUGHUGHUG

dukedogsmom
02-21-2008, 03:32 PM
Dasher didn't go into surgery until 2. He was supposed to be done by 1 but they had a couple of emergency surgeries. Doctor just called and said the lump was encapsulated so instead of just getting a little of it, he was able to remove most of it. I'm encouraged by that. Depending on how the test comes back, he may not have to lose his toe :) The stitches need to come out in 10 to 14 days. His foot can't get wet outside and I was trying to think of what I could use. I just had what I think is a brilliant and rather comical idea. What do you think of using (can I say it here?) condoms? I know they'll be strong and I think they sould fit his foot just fine :D I can't pick him up until 6. Since he's older, they want to make sure he's alright before he leaves. Wonder what the vet will think of my idea?

Thanks for all the prayers and well wishes. I have a feeling they worked.

gemini9961
02-21-2008, 03:44 PM
Sounds like good news Val. I like the condom idea, you can get the colored ones and then it will look like a sock? :confused: :o

Ginger's Mom
02-21-2008, 03:46 PM
I am so glad you got some encouraging news. Give him a hug for me, too, once you get him home.

pitc9
02-21-2008, 03:46 PM
Oh Val, that sounds VERY promising! :D
More prayers for Dasher!

I had to LOL at you using condoms!
I've become a pro at keeping feet dry since Buddy's 3 foot injuries :rolleyes:
I used plastic bags from the grocery store, wrapped his foot up in it, then put an old sock over it and taped it to his leg. Instead of using athletic tape or some other type of tape that would hurt coming off, I used a self adhesive ace bandage. I bought them from the drug store. It works Very well and it's reusable too.

Instead of the plastic grocery store bags which sometimes rip I also sometimes used a heavy duty zipper bag.

But... if you MUST use condoms for something.... I guess it might as well be on Dasher's foot! I'd just be careful his nails don't poke a hole in it! :p

Grace
02-21-2008, 03:51 PM
But... if you MUST use condoms for something.... I guess it might as well be on Dasher's foot! I'd just be careful his nails don't poke a hole in it! :p

Yeah, be careful of the holes. Then it could never be used for any other purpose ;)

chocolatepuppy
02-21-2008, 07:29 PM
Happy to hear Dasher's surgery went well. :D

dukedogsmom
02-21-2008, 07:54 PM
Turns out I should have bought the XL ones as the other ones aren't quite big enough. I didn't even know they made XL ones, actually. Wow.

We've been home for a couple of hours now and I was worried about him. He kept doing this sad whimpering and wouldn't rest. He's finally sleeping now. I'll go to the pet store tomorrow for some vet wrap and I'll probably use good old Ziplock bags for outside. I'm pooped as I didn't sleep much today so I hope Dasher can sleep tonight. He's not too fond of the Bite Not collar but it's much better than the cone.

Catty1
02-21-2008, 08:10 PM
Sorry the "safe sox" didn't work out. :D

But I am glad to hear all went well...I hope you and he can get some sleep tonight. Does he have pain meds?

HUGS, and sweet dreams. :)

Karen
02-21-2008, 08:12 PM
Yeah, recovery is always hard, especially when you can't explain "just keep that foot dry and stay off it" and have them understand.

Miss Hoppy, when she was a baby bunny of not even 5 months, broke her leg, then kept rebreaking it by standing on her cast. Sigh. She went through 6 casts until the vet said "well, it's healed, but it's not straight - she may hop with a limp." Thankfully, she hops just fine, but that recovery period was not fun. "Rattle/rattle/rattle - LET ME OUT" went the cage bars ...

Dasher will be in our prayers.

Giselle
02-21-2008, 10:59 PM
Aww Dasher, we can sympathize *hugs* Hope you both feel better

Just don't go chewing off your bandages, Dasher!

K9karen
02-21-2008, 11:07 PM
Ah! You beat me to it..I was going to suggest XL..ahem..I've seen them at the store. :o

I'm glad Thursday is over. Did the vet suggest pain killers? Maybe Ascripton? Maalox covered aspirin? I hope the handsome sweetie doesn't need any more surgery. HUGS!

ramanth
02-21-2008, 11:08 PM
Now Dasher, you leave that foot alone! *hugs*

RobiLee
02-22-2008, 03:49 AM
Happy to hear that things went well. Leave that foot alone Dasher!!

pitc9
02-22-2008, 07:04 AM
Sorry the "safe sox" didn't work out. :D

LMAO!!!

Val, I hope you both got a good night sleep!

Logan
02-22-2008, 09:52 AM
I hope he is going to be more himself today. Anesthesia has such different effects on different people and pets. We are saying prayers that it will all be just fine!!!!

Pawsitive Thinking
02-22-2008, 09:58 AM
Hope you are feeling better soon Dasher

Catlady711
02-22-2008, 12:11 PM
Sorry I didn't reply sooner, I just now saw this.

I'm glad they were able to get most of the lump off. Encapsulated is usually a good thing as opposed to lumps that have 'feelers'. I hope the biopsy comes back with good news like harmless lipoma or something else non cancerous.

Our clients typically use a zip lock back with some duct tape for outside protection and an old sock for indoors. They seem to have good results with it.

Keep us posted when you get the biposy results back and give Dasher some head scratching for me.

chocolatepuppy
02-23-2008, 11:12 AM
How's Dasher doing Val?

dukedogsmom
02-24-2008, 03:32 AM
How's Dasher doing Val?
He's doing much better. He's walking sort of normally on his foot. I went and bought some little boys socks for him to wear. He looks so cute. In fact, he looked so cute with one on that I put one on all four and took a pic. I'll put it up tomorrow afternoon. I also took a pic of his foot. They took a pretty good lump out his toe. He doesn't like that bite not collar but it sure is a lot better than wearing a cone. I give him a little bit of a break without it when we wake up. He doesn't even like getting on the bed while wearing that collar. I really felt bad for him Thursday night. He wouldn't stop whimpering and I kept telling him it was alright. I think it was because he was still disoriented from the operation. He was still a little out of it when I picked him up. Yesterday I cheered him up by tossing his favorite squeaky ball to him a few times. That made him smile. I think we'll both be glad when it's time for the stitches to come out.

chocolatepuppy
02-24-2008, 06:37 AM
Poor Dasher. It will all be over with soon,the stitches will be out. :)

dukedogsmom
02-24-2008, 07:09 AM
He was not a good boy this morning :( Around 430, he got his collar off somehow and the sock. Chewed on his foot until it was bleeding. So that's what I was greeted with when I got home. It looks like one stitch might be broken. His sore is all open. I'm on the verge of tears. Last night was stressful and this was the last straw. He knows I'm very unhappy with him. I hope I don't have to take him back for more stitches. All this is adding up.

Cinder & Smoke
02-24-2008, 09:22 AM
:( Around 4:30, he got his collar off somehow and the sock.
Chewed on his foot until it was bleeding.

:eek:

He managed to get a BiteNot Collar off ??
OMG!
He musta had help from da KAT to do it.

Did you have ALL the Velcro straps stuck down in place?
He must have done some really FANCY paw work to get it loose!

Hope the wound seals up by itself.

tatsxxx11
02-24-2008, 09:38 AM
I'm so sorry to hear you and Dasher had to deal with this, Val:( Hopefully the wound will heal w/o having to have the area resutured. I'm sure if he had his choice he'd have wished not to have any of this either, poor boy. Fingers and paws crossed for Dasher's swift recovery and an encouraging report!

Hugs and kisses to you, Dasher sweetheart:)

dukedogsmom
02-24-2008, 02:23 PM
Phred, I had everything on like it was supposed to be. I don't know how he did it. This is also the dog who squeezed himself through a metal kennel just bending a few bars and not even hurting himself. I guess he's part Houdini. I did put the collar on a little tighter this morning. It's possible I had it too loose.

Here he is wearing his sock and looking rather sad.
http://www.boomspeed.com/dukedogsmom/022208_1.jpg

Mom told me he's decided that the dog bed isn't the place to be any more. A lot of times when he's waiting for me to get home, he'll hop in this chair. Here he is sporting all his socks. I think it's so cute. I knew better than to put them on in the kitchen where the floor is all slippery. He would have had to learn how to skate :)
http://www.boomspeed.com/dukedogsmom/022308_2.jpg
And here's one with a smile. I know we'll both be glad when this week or so is done.
http://www.boomspeed.com/dukedogsmom/022308_3.jpg

Here's his toe now. You can't tell a lot from this but there was a pretty good bit taken out.
http://www.boomspeed.com/dukedogsmom/022308_1.jpg

I'm feeling a little better now. I was just so tired this morning. Dasher and I had a good sleep. Hopefully, he hasn't hurt his foot too bad.

Ginger's Mom
02-24-2008, 05:37 PM
So sorry to hear you came home to that mess this morning. I think (hope) that Dasher has learned his lesson and now realizes that he really doesn't want to pick at his foot after all. Hope his foot heals quickly for both of your sakes.

cassiesmom
02-24-2008, 05:53 PM
Hang in there, sweet Dasher! (((HUG)))

chocolatepuppy
02-24-2008, 05:56 PM
Poor Dasher and poor Val. Hopefully that will heal up quickly.

Freedom
02-24-2008, 07:07 PM
Hey Val, hi Dasher --

I am just catching up on things. Sorry to hear you had a lump, but I think it is good that most of it could be removed while you were already with the anesthesia. Dasher, be good and don't nibble, OK? Save the nibbling for lovely cookies like that one int he first few posts. You look quite preppie in your socks! Oh I love that look, te hee.

sabies
02-24-2008, 09:41 PM
Dasher you are such a cutie with all your socks. Leave your bandages alone so you can heal!

K9karen
02-24-2008, 11:32 PM
After a rough night at work, I'm sorry you came home to Dasher's oops. It's sure hard to be angry at his happy widdle face, though. He sure is adorable. His smile always melts my heart. *Kisses on Dasher*

caseysmom
02-24-2008, 11:35 PM
Aw Dasher you are stressing your Mom out, be a good boy and leave your owie alone, I am sure it is hard it probably itches.

cyber-sibes
02-25-2008, 08:49 AM
Val, Dasher is just too cute with his sockies on! Hope he'll accept leaving his foot alone, & everything heals up nice & quick. Skritches to that dear boy!

pitc9
02-25-2008, 09:29 AM
Oh Dasher... you look so cute with your socks on!

Val, I'm so sorry he was a nawtee boy and chewed everything off to get to his foot. :(

When I would wrap Bud's foot up, I'd put a sock on then spray the sock with Apple Bitter.
{{{HUGS}} to you both!

When Bud had stitches (from breaking the glass window) he got 3 stitches and ended up tearing 2 of them out. Lucky for me (and him) the one stitch left was in the center and that was enough to keep it closed and it healed without having to take him back for more stitches.

Rachel
02-25-2008, 03:08 PM
I give him a little bit of a break without it when we wake up. He doesn't even like getting on the bed while wearing that collar. I really felt bad for him Thursday night. He wouldn't stop whimpering and I kept telling him it was alright.

Didn't they send him home with pain pills? Tucker was given pain pills after his initial biopsy and then when they removed the lump.

finn's mom
02-25-2008, 10:37 PM
Such a trooper, your Dasher. Glad the end is nearly in sight for you both. :)

ramanth
02-25-2008, 11:28 PM
Dasher! Leave that toe alone! *HUGS*

It'll heal faster... honest!

dukedogsmom
02-26-2008, 01:35 PM
Didn't they send him home with pain pills? Tucker was given pain pills after his initial biopsy and then when they removed the lump.
They said the Rymadil I'd been giving him would be fine for his pain. I think they were full of it. If he does have to go back, I'll insist on some real pain medication.

He's doing much better. He's adapted to the collar and, though the stitches are very loose, I think they'll do alright. When I wake up in the afternoon, I take the collar off and give him a break. He's beside me rubbing his ears and grunting. On his back, of course. What a character.

Catlady711
02-26-2008, 04:39 PM
They said the Rymadil I'd been giving him would be fine for his pain. I think they were full of it. If he does have to go back, I'll insist on some real pain medication.

Rimadyl is a pain medication, usually used for arthritis. There are MUCH better and SAFER alternatives out there though. We don't use Rimadyl at work anymore and haven't for about 4-5 years. We mostly use Meticam and Zubrin and have had much better results with fewer side effects and no liver damage.

dukedogsmom
02-27-2008, 09:33 AM
I am so relieved! I just got a voicemail left from the vet. The lump is benign! PT prayers worked again :D

pitc9
02-27-2008, 09:39 AM
YIPPEEE!!!!!

What GREAT news Val!!

Pawsitive Thinking
02-27-2008, 09:47 AM
Woohoo!!!!! Fantastic news :D

loveallfurryfriends
02-27-2008, 09:54 AM
fantastic News!!!!

loveallfurryfriends
02-27-2008, 09:56 AM
I am so happy to hear this!! What wonderful news!!

shais_mom
02-27-2008, 10:17 AM
that's great news Val!

cassiesmom
02-27-2008, 10:24 AM
Yay!!

caseysmom
02-27-2008, 10:27 AM
Oh thank goodness I am so relieved and happy. Give that sweetie a big hug for me.

cloverfdx
02-27-2008, 10:38 AM
Wonderful news Val and Dasher :D.

Grace
02-27-2008, 11:56 AM
FANTASTIC NEWS http://bestsmileys.com/clapping/2.gif

Ginger's Mom
02-27-2008, 12:15 PM
Great news, Val. Hope his paw heals quickly.

ramanth
02-27-2008, 01:19 PM
Woohoo!!!

ChrisH
02-27-2008, 01:39 PM
Brilliant news!! :D :D :D

chocolatepuppy
02-27-2008, 01:46 PM
Thank goodness! That's great news! :D

Freedom
02-27-2008, 03:09 PM
I am so relieved! I just got a voicemail left from the vet. The lump is benign! PT prayers worked again :D
I know that feeling, first hand, from jus tlast week. Isn't 'benign' a great word! He hee.

Now just to get things all healed up. If you need to get extra pain shot, ask for Metacam, it helped Marlin so much last Sept. when he had all those teefies out. The Rimadyl wasn't doing much, PLUS the bichon rescue group I work with won't allow us to use it. )The vet went ahead and gave him a shot of it anyhow, even though it was written in HUGE letters in Marlin's file. :rolleyes: )

4 Dog Mother
02-27-2008, 08:41 PM
I am so glad Dasher's lump was benign. Not let that area heal, Dasher!

Catlady711
02-27-2008, 10:13 PM
GREAT news for Dasher!!!! :D :D

I'm very happy for both of you.

Catty1
02-27-2008, 11:31 PM
YAAY! So glad that goofy beautiful boy is all right! :D

K9karen
02-27-2008, 11:46 PM
*Jumps Up And Down With Happiness!* What wonderful news, Val, for you and Dasher! He sure is one lucky goober! Please give him a huge kiss for me!

RobiLee
02-29-2008, 06:22 AM
This is very good news! I'm so happy for you guys. Give Dasher a big hug from me! :D

Rachel
02-29-2008, 06:30 AM
Thanks for updating us with that good news. It won't be long before everything will be back to normal.