PDA

View Full Version : Wireless keyboard/mouse advice needed

Catty1
02-17-2008, 02:04 PM
Okay, I inherited a Dell wireless keyboard, which I love.

Yesterday at the 2nd hand store I got an HP wireless 3 key mouse. It was only $4.00, so I am not expecting miracles. Here goes:

The mouse itself fires right up with batteries in it!

I plugged the USB receiver into the port, pressed 'connect' and a blue light started blinking on the RHS - the symbol looks like a tiny "o" with two semicircles above it. To the left, in order - a light with an arrow pointing down to it from above, a light with an "A" above it, and a light with what looks like a numeral "1" above it.

The blue light blinks for about 15 sec and shuts off.

I tried unplugging my regular mouse, but no difference.

When I installed this, my computer told me it was installed and ready to use, but I searched for a driver anyway, and found none.

The problem is likely in the receiver. Any ideas on troubleshooting this?

Could the Dell KB receiver be confusing the HP?

Thanks. :)

C

Freedom
02-17-2008, 03:01 PM
All I can suggest is this:

can you google the model number of the mouse and see if there is an owner manual on line? That may provide some guidance!

Catty1
02-17-2008, 03:59 PM
Actually *blush* I plugged it into a different USB port - and it's working like a charm! LOL

Um...when HP sends their cust service reply, I will thank them kindly! :rolleyes: At least they have the SE # so I might find out how old it is.

Sometimes the best answers are TOO simple!

Thanks!

(I Googled that number til I was blue in the face - even on HP site. Nuthin'!)

Freedom
02-17-2008, 05:58 PM
My desk top has 4 USB ports. For the first 12 months all worked fine. Now 2 don't work or only work for SOME purposes, with SOME peripherals. :rolleyes:

I think it was the day AFTER the one year warranty expired . . . . . :eek:

Catty1
02-17-2008, 08:41 PM
OH heck - all my stuff is rebuilt or second-hand.

I did decide to clean out the old mouse today before Freecycling it.

Ummm...gee...what a lot of FUR! How'd THAT happen? :D Thank goodness for old toothbrushes! ;)

Opened the keyboard and gave it a good rinse too - I''ve done that before. Gonna make sure it is perfectly dry before I reassemble it!

Two dead USB ports? I thought the one I had the mouse in was dead - but I just switched it with another USB, and both items are working fine. Maybe the ports just get fussy???

Jessika
02-17-2008, 08:47 PM
USB can be tricky... if I install something on one USB then later try plugging it into the other, it won't work because I installed it on the first one. hehe.

And if I have something else installed on a USB and try plugging something else into it, sometimes it won't work because I've already associated another device with that USB port. If this makes sense.

In any case I'm glad you got it working :)