PDA

View Full Version : Update at our household

Catsnclay
02-16-2008, 10:58 PM
Hey everyone-

Life has been hectic over here lately. My father's condition has gotten worse and he now needs daily attention. The Neurologist said he should not be living alone nor driving. Taking the keys away was easy compared to the rest..... he does NOT want to move, nor does he want anyone living with him. He lives a good 30 mins. away from me - but less than a mile from my house is this wonderful Alzhimer's community that we have put a deposit down on a room for him. We have been working on him daily about moving - cross those fingers & paws that he will finally give in! :rolleyes:

Now during all this mess with my father, Lucky has been throwing up hairballs & bile on a daily basis - to me this does not seem right. So on a day when I had a few hours to my self we went to the vet........ she takes blood and puts him on: Metoclopramide 5mg. Like everything else, this too only works for a few days before the vomiting comes back. :(

The blood tests come back mostly on the normal side, so now she wants to do an Ultrasound = $400.00 :eek:

It is not the money, but what happens if they don't find anything???!!! Poor Lucky has gone through enough in his 10 years of life (back when he was 7 he almost died because of Chylothorax - luckily we caught it early and after 2 weeks in the hospital, with a tube in his little chest taking out about a cup of fluid every hour - he made it through!)

My husband suggested we contact the Internist that treated him before to see if he has another suggestion on how to treat Lucky - will look into that next week. My heart goes out to my poor baby! He is healthy and happy in every way shape or form otherwise. I just wish I knew why he keeps vomiting!!! He loves playing with his favorite colored fur mousies, and of course teasing both his brother Yoshi and new little sister Taz.

Oh, and to top all this off - my pee-boy Yoshi is peeing even more now :mad: Grrrrrr!!!

Taz is now the 'Queen' of the house and a whopping 8 lbs. Oh, and did I mention that she just happens to be a daddy's girl??? :rolleyes: :p like anyone is surprised.

So please forgive me for not being around here much, and if I owe you a return email or something - know you know why you haven't heard from me!! <sorry!!!>

We hope to get my father into his new home by the end of this month, and I really, really hope my life will get back to normal by then. Then I can participate here much more often :)

Thanks for listening, and if anyone has any experience in this vomiting area - PLEASE let me know!!

KittyCrazy
02-16-2008, 11:43 PM
I sure hope you can find out what is ailing Lucky. Poor guy.

As far as your Dad, it's hard at first but once you get him to realize that change is inevitable, he'll adjust....maybe not quickly but it will happen. We've been through all of this with my mother-in-law over the past 3 years and it's not easy but you know it's what is best for him. We also moved my MIL into a place that is half a mile down the road from us and we check in on her often and take her places that she needs to go and that has made the transition for her much more tolerable. And now that we got her a new kitty from the Humane Assn., she's even got a whole new lease on life. :)

shais_mom
02-17-2008, 12:36 AM
*hugs* Bunny.

krazyaboutkatz
02-17-2008, 01:48 AM
Bunny, I'm sorry to hear that your life is so stressed out right now.:(I'm sorry to hear about your father and I hope that you'll be able to move him closer to you without too many problems. I also hope that Yoshi will stop peeing, and that Lucky will stop vomiting or that the vet will be able to help him. I'm glad to hear that Taz is doing so well and that she's become daddy's girl.:)

If you have Yoshi on medicine to help with his peeing problems, then maybe you might have to try another type of medication. I wonder if you gave Lucky pepcid if this would help his vomiting. I sure hope that whatever it is that it's not serious. I have a few cats that will sometimes barf but it's usually due to them eating their food too fast or due to hairballs. I hope that everything calms down in your household soon so you can relax and get back on PT. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

jenluckenbach
02-17-2008, 06:45 AM
{{{{{BUNNY}}}}} I hope your dad will consent to move soon. Having him closer will b so much better.

And prayers go out to Lucky, too. :( I know the dilemma associated with expensive procedures......what IF they tell you nothing?

Hope your life can become a little less hectic soon.

Medusa
02-17-2008, 08:05 AM
Has Lucky been checked for kidney problems? When my Puddy throws up bile, it's because her kidney is acting up again which affects the liver, thus, the bile. After she gets some subQ treatments, it usually snaps her out of the nausea. Is Lucky dehydrated? If so, a subQ treatment would probably help.

I'm sorry to hear about your Dad but it does sound like you have a good option. I hope it works out for you real soon. It's tough, I know, but it appears that better times are ahead for all concerned once he gets situated in his new surroundings.

dukedogsmom
02-24-2008, 02:43 PM
I'm so sorry you're going through all of that. I know it must be very hard with your dad, for everyone. The community sounds really nice and it sounds like you wouldn't have to worry about him as much there as at a regular facility. I hope Lucky is better now. Did you find out what was wrong? I hope you can get some peace in your life soon.

Barbara
02-24-2008, 03:30 PM
Oh Bunny, that's a lot on your plate right now.
It is so difficult to deal with parents when you have to take over the parent role.
And Lucky- I hope you find out what's wrong with him.
I hope little Taz can support you in just being young and funny.
Hugs to you and Tim.

catmandu
02-24-2008, 04:06 PM
That Is A Hard Step For Your Dad To Make, As Hes Afraid That He Will Lsoe His Independance. I Know That I Will Not Enjoy Going Into A Seniors Home. I Pray Taht You Can Convince Him And Hopefully They Will Bend A Little Bit And Not Have Hard And Fast Rules About Everything.
And We Pray That The Whie Coats Can Help Your Friends, Its So Sad When They Are Not Well.

Freedom
02-24-2008, 07:19 PM
Lucky: how often do you feed? Can you add an extra meal in somehow? Some (not all ) of my older cats just needed to keep something in the stomach to prevent the bile vomiting. Don't know why, but if all the blood work looks good, that may be a solution to try.

I sympathize with you and your Dad and the situation. Not sure I can give any guidance. According to MY Dad, he was "kidnapped," one Saturday. When he refused to come, I told him "That's OK. I 'll take all your clothes, and when you are ready for a change let me know."

That is not exactly what happened . . . . :rolleyes: ;)

rg_girlca
02-24-2008, 09:40 PM
I am so sorry that your life is so stressful right now and pray that you are able to get the placement for your Dad. Last year, my cousin had to arrange for her Mom, my favorite aunt, to be placed in a nursing home and my aunt just hated it at first. It took her about 3 months to get use to the idea and now she is so happy to have so many friends she can talk to and to take part in the activiites that they have planned on a daily basis. She is not alone anymore and enjoying her life once again.
I pray that your Dad will feel like this also.

Prayers on the way for your precious Lucky, that whatever is bothering him, isn't serious and can be dealt with, with the proper medication.

{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}} for you Bunny.

moosmom
02-25-2008, 09:38 AM
Bunny,

There is nothing worse than a stubborn, ornery old man who refuses give up his independence and accept help. Sounds just like my Dad did. Are you SURE we're not sisters????

Seriously though, I do understand what you're going through. My father was so stubborn. Wanted to live alone (after stepmom died) with his cat, which put a whole lot of stress and burden on me. I worked 40-60 hours a week as a paralegal then had to go and care for my Dad. Not only did it take a toll on my health and depression, it also caused alot of resentment because, on top of all this, my Dad was a serious alcoholic. After years of trying to get him to go to an AA meeting, I stopped arguing. When he died 10 years ago, as much as I love and miss him, I was relieved, which is what my therapist said would happen.

Please take care of yourself. You will be no good to your Dad or anyone else if your health fails. You've got my number, call me.
;)
(((((HUGS))))))))

Catsnclay
02-25-2008, 06:07 PM
Hi everyone!!

Well I have some good news and of course you just have to have some bad news too :rolleyes: !

The "good" news is, we took dad to his new home. We talked about it several times before Saturday, but of course he didn't remember. He was all dressed up, took a shower and really looked neat & clean when we got there, but at first didn't want to go. We finally convinced him to get into the car.....it was the longest car ride in my life! Both Tim & I knew exactly where we were going but I'm not too sure dad did!

We got there, started walking arond introducing him to everything, showed him his new room last, and that is when it hit him. And it hit hard. The look on his face just broke my heart, but I also knew that it was the right thing to do.

He got reallly upset, just as we thought and the administrator just took him under her wing and they went out to the garden for a smoke while we left. I did really good.......until I got into the car :( . That's when all my emotions came pouring out. Tim was great though - as usual :)

I saw him on Sunday and he begged me to get him out of there. I was going to bring him more clothes today but was told not to go....he goes in and out of being mad/upset. Tomorrow my (wonderful) sister & I are going to go back to his house to get things to fix up his room to make it more likie "home" - hopefully we can do that peacefully 7 quickly. As you can gather we don't get along that ghreat. She thinks I am "throwing" him into a pit or something.

As for the cats, well Lucky is doning better he is still vomiting but not nearly as much. As Freedom suggested, we are feeding him little portions more often. Seems to help! I really, really don't want to do the ultrasound on him!!

Yoshi hasn't pee'd in the last 7 - 10 days.......(hope I didn't jinx anything! ;) ) And Taz is still being a bratty little sister.

Now for the "bad" news......

I saw my orthopeadic doctor today, apparently that sore thumb/hand I have and keep thinking will get better, wont.

I have CMC of the thumb, or degenerative arthritis (aka osteoarthritis) of the thumb carpo-metacarpal joint.

Apparently it is a common problem for woman in the 5th decade of their life - :rolleyes: - ok so old age sucks!!!!! LOL :p

I got a steroid shot in the thumb and know wear a protective brace - in my terms: I can't use my friggin right hand!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Do you know how hard this is???!!!!! And this sure showed up at the wrong time!

Ok, I'm sorry! I just needed to vent. Didn't mean to yell at anyone!!

Well, that's my news. Thank you all for the prayers, I know my dad is much better off now -even though he doesn't think so. Time will be on his side, once we get his room looking like his place I think that will help. I don't know how I will be able to move his things tomorrow, but I sure hope my (wonderful) sister will be in a good mood and be helpful!!!

Thank you, thank yoou, thank you all!!!!!!

Bunny - the new left handed person!!

Medusa
02-26-2008, 07:41 AM
That wasn't an easy thing for you to do, leaving your dad. But you are NOT abandoning him, although I'm sure his facial expression and the look in his eyes made you feel as though you were. I think we've either all been there or we're close to someone who has been there and it's no easy road to travel, that's for sure. But when you said that the administrator took him under her wing, I'm sure you felt better, at least for a little anyhow. It'll take time for everyone to adjust and it will get better. Take care of yourself and rest that hand for a while. Let people wait on you. (Yeah, I know.)

Barbara
02-26-2008, 09:03 AM
I am so sorry, Bunny. After my mom passed away last year, the worst time I had was because I felt so guilty. She was in a nursing home the last weeks - a very good one and they were all very very nice with her- the care was much better than anything I could have done- but still..........
And then on top of all that your hand. A carpal tunnel syndrome can be fixed by surgery rather easily if all else doesn't help. My dad had it on both hands and I also know a lady (a cello player) who had it- and did very well.
But of course you don't need it right now.
It is ok to be a little egoistic- and yes, if it helps to yell here, than go for it ;)

And if you have some time, give us some new pics of the kitties :)

moosmom
02-26-2008, 09:16 AM
Oh Bunny, when you wrote about the look on your Dad's face and how heartbroken you felt, I cried. You're trying to help your Dad be independent while be monitored, which I think is a good idea, given his history.

I think that by making his room "homier" with old pictures of himself and your Mom, family stuff that'll make him feel good. How about a favorite chair?? I see alot of rooms with chairs, dressers, etc. Whatever it takes to make him happy. Give him some time. Sure he's pissed. But there are alot of other people his age there. Ya never know. My grandfather found a girlfriend at the ripe age of 85! :eek: Even if it's just someone to hang with and reminisce with. It's gonna take time. But I think it'll work out. Don't forget visits. They're very important too.

(((((((HUGS)))))))))

Donna