PDA

View Full Version : Controlling your dog

3GSDMom
02-16-2008, 09:07 PM
I dont have enough discussions with people on this forum. Thought I'd introduce a topic I have posted on another forum.

-----------------

More often than not an owner of a small breed dog does not put the same amount of training into their dogs as a large breed dog owner does. They think that because they are little they dont need the same amount of training. Because of their owners negligence they develop behavior problems.

Example:

Suzy Q takes little fifi the toy poodle to petsmart. Fifi is running to and fro on her leash. Every person and dog she sees she runs up to. She's been growling at everyone and has snapped at a few people/dogs. Suzy shrugs it off with a laugh. Fifi's just being adorable.
Now, here comes John D with his Mastiff, Fido. Fido is walking calmly at John's side, barely paying any attention to anyone else around him.
Fifi gets within range of Fido and immediately charges. Jumping up and yapping in Fidos face. Suzy laughs and remarks 'how cute' it is that Fifi is greeting Fido. Fido emits a low warning growl sending Fifi running back to her mom. John immediately re directs Fido's attention and attempts to leave before the situation gets any worse. Horrified, Suzy picks little Fifi up and demands that John 'control his vicious dog'.

Sound familiar?

This is something Ive encountered far too many times while out in public. And, it is something that I have observed. In general, owners of little dogs just do not control their dogs as well as they need to. They, for whatever reason, get this mindset that because their dog is small it is unable to do harm.

Now, dont get me wrong. There are many small breed dog owners that do in fact put a lot of time and effort into training their dog. There is always an exception. It just seems that I run into more that dont.
I dont know why people get it in their head that little dogs dont need training like large breed dogs do. I understand it is much easier for a large dog to cause damage, but damage can still be caused by a little dog. How many times have you seen a little dog provoke a larger dog? A lot of times, if people controlled their dogs, certain situations would be avoided.

Bottom line- Everyone, no matter what breed they own, needs to have control over their dogs. It seems to me that small breed owners find everything their dog does to be 'cute'. While, if something goes wrong, the automatically blame it on the large dog. They dont stop to think that precious little 'fifi' may be the one to blame due to their own ignorance.

Control your dogs people. Train them. Work with them everyday.

[This thread was sparked by a bad experience I had with an out of control dog approaching Travis and I at Petsmart. ]

K9karen
02-16-2008, 09:23 PM
Coincidence? I don't know. But I've experience the same thing a few times (not always) at PetSmart/Petco. IMO, I think people with smaller dogs (of course none of us) tend to think their cuteness will let them get away with *ahem* murder.

chocolatepuppy
02-16-2008, 09:42 PM
I too, have noticed that in the petstores.
My neighbor has a Miniature Schnauzer. She lets the pup jump all over me when I visit. Even being a dog lover, that can get old real fast. Now if I let Layla or Lacey jump all over her... :rolleyes: I now have what I believe is going to be a smaller dog, Jake. I will have to make sure I practice what I preach. ;)

3GSDMom
02-16-2008, 09:46 PM
Now if I let Layla or Lacey jump all over her... :rolleyes: I now have what I believe is going to be a smaller dog, Jake. I will have to make sure I practice what I preach. ;)

My grandmother is the same way! Now, I can understand her not wanting Travis to jump on her, but I also have two smaller dogs that are her dogs size and smaller. Yet she complains like no other. I go to her house and it's 'cute' when her dog [some sort of poodlemixthing] is jumping all over me. Aren't double standards lovely? :rolleyes:

Karen
02-16-2008, 10:09 PM
I have noticed this, some people seem to forget that small dogs are still dogs, and need training just as much. It's funny, because my first dog, Sheba, (best, smertest dog in the whole wide world) was a German Shepherd mis, almost all black, with tan spots for eyebrows and tan on her legs. She was not only smart, but amazingly well-behaved. My family got her when she was a full-grown stray, so we don't know who had her, or how much training she had as a pup. Anyway, people were literally afraid of her because she was llarge and black. My mother once saw a traveling salesman walk backwards down the driveway when Sheba, who hadn't even looked at him, barked her soft, polite "Let me in, please" bark!

On the other hand, the lady up the street had miniature poodles. She bred them, and claimed they were show-quality (though I never saw them with "that" haircut) - but they were the loudest, most yappy, obnoxious bunch I have ever encountered. They would jump at you through the door the entire time you were talking to the woman, and barked so much that one had to shout to be heard over them. To my mind, they were not even cute, that's how obnoxious they were, and I never understood why anyone would want a dog like that!

Freedom
02-17-2008, 08:23 AM
I wonder if it is really that small dogs don't get trained as often. If you have a large dog and don't train it, are you REALLY going to take it in to PetCo or PetsMart? Is it just that the uncontrollable small dogs can still be taken anywhere? So you see more of them untrained. The untrained big dogs get left at home; and probably tied out in the back yard. :(

Just a thought.
Oh, but this doesn't account for the in- the -home attitude differences mentioned. **shrugs** Oh well.

Ginger's Mom
02-17-2008, 08:40 AM
I think your title hits the nail on the head better than talking about training. It may be that people who do not have the time, patience, or access to formal training are more likely to get smaller dogs, because there is less chance that the dog will cause any real damage to another's person or property. As long as the person is willing to control their dog in all situations it doesn't really matter if they have formal training. It may mean that the people with smaller dogs have to physically contain their dog rather than controlling by voice or habit. That is fine as long as you control your dog. I personally find it easier to teach the dog manners than to always be on alert to the dog's actions. It is never alright to be an irresponsible pet owner no matter what size or species of the pet.

Taz_Zoee
02-17-2008, 12:08 PM
Something similar to this happened at the dog park a few weeks ago.
Two women came in the big dog area with a small white pittie and a tiny black cocker spaniel. That little cocker was just racing around barking/growling at everyone. So in a matter of seconds a bunch of dogs swarmed the cocker. The owner of the cocker raced over in a panicked state to pick him/her up. And with a look of disgust toward the other dogs, took the cocker to the small dog area. In my mind I'm thinking....why did you bring the dog to the big area in the first place? And if your dog hadn't been acting the way it was the other dogs wouldn't have swarmed it.
So they had to stay one owner in each area, because the pit was too big for the small area. There are always small dogs in the big dog area and they do just fine.
Not to knock small dog owners, there have been the fair share of big dogs that could use some training as well. One man had a white dog on a leash and it was snapping at every dog that came near it. But the man kept it on the leash, made one walk around the park and left. So I'm sure he was just working on getting the dog around other dogs. But I didn't like it because all of the other dogs are off leash and of course have to run up to check out this "aggressive" dog. I didn't want my dog to get bit just because she was being curious. Ya know?

Tora Oni
02-17-2008, 12:15 PM
Well I had a dog and he was a big dog and he deffiantly didn't like other girls dogs and wouldn't tolerate them bouncing all over him so I did have to keep him from snaping, the growling I knew he had to tell them off some way to let them know he wouldn't tolerate. I think all dogs no matter the size should be trained I think most can agree. Just because its baby sized doesn't mean it is. I remeber one time one of the girls at school told me my dog was going to attack tucker (teacup yorkie across the street) bunch bull when I went over to talk to them they said Clifford was just coming over to socialize, he isn't a mean dog just steped out of the yard to mingle. They just took Tucker inside b/c they didn't want to take chance with Clifford being without a lesh and not sure of his temperment. I can just imagine him thinking everybody wants to pet him he is kind use to that attetnion from strangers. Again another situation where people just assume my dog his some ruthless beast and the small dog is victim. Clifford was well behaved for the most part and I had him in 4 yrs of 4-H dog obedience. He use to be able to walk off leash but when training stops things tend training that doesn't get used much gets lost.

Taz_Zoee
02-17-2008, 12:23 PM
I wonder if it is really that small dogs don't get trained as often. If you have a large dog and don't train it, are you REALLY going to take it in to PetCo or PetsMart? Is it just that the uncontrollable small dogs can still be taken anywhere? So you see more of them untrained. The untrained big dogs get left at home; and probably tied out in the back yard. :(

Just a thought.
Oh, but this doesn't account for the in- the -home attitude differences mentioned. **shrugs** Oh well.
I posted before I read all the responses. And you are right here Freedom. Zoee does not do well around other dogs while she is on her leash, therefore, I do not take her into Petsmart (except maybe to head straight to the grooming area). She tends to bark and raise the hair on her back and I can imagine what other owners think of that. I know she is not going to hurt anyone, but they just see this dog barking and raising her hair. I don't blame them one bit. However, she does great at the park off leash. People always comment on how sweet she is.

IRescue452
02-17-2008, 04:38 PM
I know people who's problem is they don't take the dogs anywhere, so why train them? I try to convince them that if something happens to them, they need to be trained. What if the humans get hospitalized and the dogs need to be boarded? What about that horrible event every dog owner dreads when for some reason they absolutely can't keep the dog? A death? Nobody wants to take on a small poorly socialized dog.

My grandma's dogs are just as bad, even though one went to puppy class (she never worked with him further than at class). The thing about them jumping up, it hurts! She rarely cuts their nails and they scrape at your legs. When I go over there I immediately kneel down to their level so they can greet me without jumping. After they calm down they don't jump anymore.

My brother is actually babies his toy poodle too much. She's terrified of strangers, but not so much to bite. She just runs. He won't let me hold her because she's too scared. How else do you socialize a little dog?

bckrazy
02-17-2008, 11:01 PM
Honestly... I don't know.

In my opinion, I see just as many irresponsible owners of large dogs as I do little dogs. It could be that people with little dogs just tend to take their dogs on outings, where they are going to meet people and other dogs, compared to larger breeds. It could be that, were a Mastiff behaving the same as that dog, the owner would be physically unable to control him, hence that untrained Mastiff never seeing beyond his backyard.

I think that uneducated people aren't really biased between breeds. If some one is irresponsible enough to not bother to train their little dog, then, if they had a large dog they probably wouldn't either.

3GSDMom
02-18-2008, 01:18 AM
Erica, I do agree with you. There are just as many irresponsible large breed dog owners as there are small breed dog owners.

I was just covering one part with my post. Something I observed while out and about.

Denyce
02-18-2008, 12:45 PM
I have encountered stupid owners of both large and small dogs while out with our husky. She isn't fond of other dogs. She likes huskies and malamutes and that is pretty much it. If they don't speak siberian she doesn't want anything to do with them and if they look at her too much she is more than happy to rip them a new one. So because of this we have worked hard with her on her attitude when we take her out. She now sits quietly beside us for the most part when we are at Petco and other dogs are walking around her. She will perk her ears and get excited when a small dog is running about at the end of a leash but she is in much better control.

However, we have had issues. We were walking her in a park one day and this person was coming our way walking a Scottie. He dropped the leash on purpose. The Scottie started to run towards Sequoia and she got extremely excited. She was on her back paws with her predator face on and my husband hanging on to her leash for dear life. I was moving to intercept the Scottie and yelled at the man to get ahold of his dog. He yelled back that it was ok...he dog was friendly. I yelled...do you really think I am worried about my 60 pound husky over there being injured by your Scottie??? :eek: My dog thinks YOURS IS LUNCH! He then moved much faster towards his dog. I stepped on the dogs leash and wouldn't you know it but the snap broke. Luckily he was able to grap the freaking dog before it reached Sequoia. :rolleyes:

This almost same scenerio happened again last summer at an arts festival we have here in a park. Some lady let her 3 pound ball of black fur go when she saw Sequoia. She was giggling and saying...it is ok my dog is friendly. My husband actually injured his shoulder trying to hold Sequoia back from the snack she saw coming towards her.

Both of these owners treated us as if we had no right to have our dog there. Yet we were the ones with the dog on the leash and a human on the other end. Since then we have worked with Sequoia with a prong collar and it has done a world of good as far as her aggression goes. So I am looking forward to the summer season this year and seeing the difference I hope.

Although hubby has said that next time he is just letting Sequoia have her snack if people are going to be that stupid. Of course he wouldn't but I don't blame him for how he feels.

kallisto4529
02-18-2008, 03:30 PM
I agree with all of you, there are days when Reilly is just having a really obnoxious day..lol He gets like that every once in a while, I call them his grumpy days, well he does not get taken anywhere when he is like that, on those days his temper is short, he does not listen as well and I won't allow him the enjoyment of being around anyone or any other dogs due to that.
He has been to training class and will he ever be perfect, of course not..lol but we still work with him on what we were taught and I feel totally comfortable taking him to petco or the dog park, he does really good there.
I have seen so many other dogs that their owners are so not responsible it just kills me!!! Take the one that attacked Reilly. It makes me so sad for all of these dogs whose owners don't think they deserve the time or the love to train them and work with them. It is no different than having a child, you have to teach them manners and proper behaviour too.

cali
02-18-2008, 03:43 PM
what annoys me most when it comes to controlling dogs is owners who rather then control their dog they go "well its because its a *name your breed here*". that is not a valid exuse! there are even professional trainers that use this exuse! for example BCs that stalks other dogs in the park and annoys them, people go "oh its because its a BC". no, its because your dog is being rude!

Alysser
02-18-2008, 04:00 PM
I actually have never really had a problem controlling, Sassy. She has never had an interest in other people unless they were guest in her territory or people who came up to her. She is EXTREMELY scared of bigger dogs, so never goes up to them either. Smaller dogs she can be as friendly as possible depending on the dog. If the dog is friendly to her, she's friendly to it. I will never understand why people take their dogs out who aren't trained properly and can't be controlled. Honestly, though I see why some people would bring smaller dogs out that are a little hyper since they can be contained easily, but they shouldn't let them off the leash. That is just plain irresponsible.

My dog is fine off leash. She walks right next to me in a perfect heel, although she wasn't taught "heel". She just does it. She has no interest in people or other dogs, or running away.

Catlady711
02-18-2008, 06:42 PM
Controlling your dog (large or small) isn't just an issue at a dog park or PetSmart either.

Every single day I see owners just letting their dogs have a ridiculous amount of free leash, or let their leashes drop in our lobby. While the issue of a dog fight is always in the front of my mind (just because your dog is friendly doesn't mean the other dog is).

Think about this....If a dog is sick with some kind of contagious problem (kennel cough, mange, lepto, staph infection etc) where does one take an animal like that?? The vet of course. So does a person really want their dogs socializing in an environment where they are potentially encountering contagious animals? But yet I see it everyday and the owners get downright MIFFED when you sternly suggest they shorten their leashes and get control of their dogs that the vet lobby is NOT the place to socalize their animals.

Come to think of it, seems like the ones that don't control their animals, don't control their kids either. One day I almost had a heartattack when I came around the corner to see a customer checking out and hollaring around the corner to her unattended kids. One look and I almost grabbed the kids myself, and had to VERY sternly tell the lady she MUST get her kids over by her side immediately. Reason? The young kids were petting a dog that had come in for some blood work, a very large and very mean dog. Aside from the fact we have a bunch of yellow and orange caution and muzzle lables on the dogs file, the dog is so ornery it has to have a muzzle on before it can come in the building even! So here lays this dog, muzzled and growling up a storm while these kids are trying to pet it, the owner is just letting them, and the mother of the kids is not even within sight and thinks letting her kids pet strange animals is cute!!!! :mad: :mad: Now I know why her dog was so misbehaved during the exam (of course her letting the kids pull on it's legs and tail while we are trying to work didn't help either).

Some days I'm stunned by the stupidty I see in safety and common sense which seems all to UNcommon these days.

*end of rant, gets off soapbox*