PDA

View Full Version : Tonight Tilly is my hero

Nomilynn
08-18-2002, 12:08 AM
Oh my god.. I'm still shaking and crying.. I was on the phone with Nathan (aka Lirathal) tonight when a HUGE spider came running into my room. I mean it's leg could have made a decent size spider all on its own.

Anyway, as soon as I saw this thing I screamed really loud (we need to have sympathy for Nate's ears tonight! :rolleyes: ) and ran the opposite direction from wich the spider was running.

I lost sight of it then, and I began to panic. I'm really an arachnaphobic (spelling??) and I was beginning to hyperventilate and scream and cry a lot.. sweating and stuff.. when Tilly caught sight of it. At first I screamed a lot because she kept chasing it instead of killing it. I was standing on my bed crying, Nathan trying to calm me down. Finally Tilly killed the thing. I was afraid it was playing dead but it was pretty mangled. She even carried it out from under my desk to an open area of the floor so I could put a huge book on it, stand on the book, twirl the book around and jump a little to make sure the thing was really dead. I don't think I've ever been that scared in my life. Then once I was sure it was REALLY dead, I went and got a roll of paper towel. I crouched on a chair to pick up the remains so if it was just playing it wouldn't run over my feet *shudder*... So tonight Tilly is the hero! She has already gotten a whole bunch of loves, except when she walked on the arm of my chair and lightly put her foot on my leg, I thought it was another spider and I screamed and jumped. She just looked at me like, "Mom.. CHILL!!!!" Anyway, Tilly deserves our praise tonight! And I need a valium :(

Lirathal
08-18-2002, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by Nomilynn
Oh my god.. I'm still shaking and crying.. I was on the phone with Nathan (aka Lirathal) tonight when a HUGE spider came running into my room. I mean it's leg could have made a decent size spider all on its own.

Anyway, as soon as I saw this thing I screamed really loud (we need to have sympathy for Nate's ears tonight! :rolleyes: ) and ran the opposite direction from wich the spider was running.

I lost sight of it then, and I began to panic. I'm really an arachnaphobic (spelling??) and I was beginning to hyperventilate and scream and cry a lot.. sweating and stuff.. when Tilly caught sight of it. At first I screamed a lot because she kept chasing it instead of killing it. I was standing on my bed crying, Nathan trying to calm me down. Finally Tilly killed the thing. I was afraid it was playing dead but it was pretty mangled. She even carried it out from under my desk to an open area of the floor so I could put a huge book on it, stand on the book, twirl the book around and jump a little to make sure the thing was really dead. I don't hink I've ever been that scared in my life. Then once I was sure it was REALLY dead, I went and got a roll of paper towel. I crouched on a chair to pick up the remains so if it was just playing it wouldn't run over my feet *shudder*... So tonight Tilly is the hero! She has already gotten a whole bunch of loves, except when she waled on the arm of my chair and lightly put her foot on my leg, I thought it was another spider and I screamed and jumped. She just looked at me like, "Mom.. CHILL!!!!" Anyway, Tilly deserves our praise tonight! And I need a valium :(

*riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiing go my ears* :P

Man she has a set of pipes on her let me tell you, but my kitty helped out and is a hero! Double the Kitty treats for her tomorrow! Sorry I couldn't help Nomi. :(

Hurray for my Kitty Tilly!

Regards,
And sympathies for my ears,
Nathan

anna_66
08-18-2002, 08:18 AM
I can not, repeat, can not stand spiders either!!! They totally FrEaK me out!
Horray to Tilly for killing that nasty spider and to Nathan for having to hear such screaming!
I'm glad it's all over with, I hope you've calmed down by now;)

Now, I know this will freak you out, but your story made me think of it.
About a year ago my mom was bitten by a baby black widow spider while she was laying in her bed (she lives in SC). It bit her on the lower right chin, and made the most god-awful place you've ever seen:eek: Just recently has the black place went away (& yes it was a big "BLACK" place-horrible looking), but she still has a scar there.
My poor mom, after it first happened, she was afraid it laid egg in her chin:eek: Needless to say, of course it didn't, but it had her that freaked out. Now, whenever she sees a spider......she sorta acts like you (no offense)! I don't blame her one bit, do you? Did you have a bad experience with a spider too?

Nomilynn
08-18-2002, 02:38 PM
Anna,

That's the weird thing - I can't remember ever having a scary experience with a spider before. Maybe it's because my dad is allergic and I was always afraid I would puff up like him, but he isn't even afraid of spiders so I don't know.

And no offense taken at all! I can totally understand!

Thanks for your response! :)

krazyaboutkatz
08-18-2002, 03:19 PM
I don't like spiders either. I'm so glad that Tilly was able to save the day by killing it. As far as I know, my cats have never killed a spider before. Storm will just alert me by meowing at them. :)

momoffuzzyfaces
08-18-2002, 04:28 PM
In my opinion, Tilly deserves a medal!!! I hate spiders too. Eeekkk!!! I get creepy crawly feelings just thinking about them. In my opinion, if spiders must exist, it should be on a planet all their own with no way off. Burr!:eek:

Nomilynn
08-18-2002, 05:19 PM
She didn't get a medal, but she sure got extra treats for breakfast this morning!!!! :D :D :D

slleipnir
08-18-2002, 08:49 PM
Wow! I'd react the same as you! I saw a small spider today on my wall, and my dad always says it's stupid to be afraid of them (there are none here that can actually hurt you..) so anyway, I thought he'd be mad if I bothered him -AGAIN- about it, so i got some paper and slowly tried to gethim to walk onto it, so i could put him in the middle of the floor (he was going behind my desk) anyway, he desided to charge onto the paper, which freaked me out, and I ended up screaming and dropping the paper..guess i'm not as brave as i thought..But now, he's STILL OUT THERE!! I bet you anything he'll crawl on my tonight..-shudders-
To think, I just freaked out over a tiny thing..

Karen
08-18-2002, 11:47 PM
Just have to say, I like spiders. I think they're really cool, the webs they spin are incredible, especially backlit in early morning dew, and they eat bugs, like mosquitoes, that bite people. I have rescued many a spider from screaming people, I let them crawl onto me, then take them outdoors whenever I can.

Nonetheless, Tilly is a hero, becuase you were afraid, and she saved the day!

wolf_Q
08-19-2002, 12:15 AM
I'm not a big spider fan either......I don't really have much of a reaction to them, unless the thing is on me lol. Usually I just ignore them.

Except when you find them in the shower with you, isn't that the worst?

Ugh a week or 2 ago I was with my friend and she asked me to go to the hose in the garage and fill up Lady's (her dog) water bowl. It was dark in the garage. I filled it up, then came out and set it down on the lawn. It was the nastiest thing, a HUGE (really huge!) brown spider and an egg sack was in the water....eeek....needless to say, I tossed the water bowl...lol

Nomilynn
08-19-2002, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by Karen
I have rescued many a spider from screaming people, I let them crawl onto me, then take them outdoors whenever I can.

Well you are welcome to come to my house and rescue spiders from me ANY day!!! LOL :D :D :D

shais_mom
08-19-2002, 01:04 AM
I can't stand them either. Hooray for Tilly!!
When I was about 4-5 years old I was riding to the elevator with my dad in his semi (he was a truck driver) and I was asleep in the bunk and when I woke up my whole stomach was covered with spider bites. And my whole belly was one big spider bite.
It was huge!!
I get freaked out reading stories fiction or not about them laying eggs in people. YUCK!
The other thing that freaks me out are wasps. When I was in the 5th grade I was in bed trying to go to sleep and I kept feeling a stinging sensation and finally after the 3rd or 4th one I jumped up outta bed and went running, screaming downstairs. My mom was on the phone and my sister was in the bathroom and after we got the baking soda on the stings we went upstairs and there were 3-4 wasps in my bed under the covers!!!
shuddering thinking about it!

lynnestankard
08-19-2002, 04:21 AM
i fall between two camps here - i sympathise with everyone who hates spiders - we all have our phobias.
but quite like having 'em around the house - eating up all the yuckies - y'know flies and stuff. we don't have dangerous spiders over here.
but come autumn the GREAT BIG HAIRY ONES try and get in for the warmth - so i spend ages taking them all outside and finding them somewhere near a good food supply.

tip for spider haters - to get them outside:-

1. place a glass tumbler over the spider.
2. slide a thinnish sheet of card under the tumbler.
3. pick up the whole caboodle - take outside and release spider.

hope this helps you all.

i'm with karen on spider webs - is there anything more beautiful in the early morning?

i noticed a particularly gorgeous one this morning from one of my hanging baskets - and i've found the occupant - hiding amongst the geraniums!!

must admit walking into a web in the dark is a horrible - so sticky!!

lynne

lovemymaltese
08-20-2002, 01:30 PM
Go Tilly! I hate spiders too. I probably would have wetted myself in your position.

NoahsMommy
08-20-2002, 04:32 PM
I almost couldn't read everyones responses...I did, but am now rewarded with tons of creepy crawlies!!! EEEP! I hate, hate, hate, hate, hate (etc.) spiders! I don't care if they eat other bugs...frogs do that too. :)

I haven't had any traumatic experiences that I can remember to relay, but I have learned in all my psych classes are that fears such as these can be brought on by a caregiver when you are younger. Like if your mom or dad (etc.) were afraid of spiders.

Last night I had a dream I came into work (office building) and found spider webs all over the place. There were two small spiders that wouldn't go away or die! I was terrified!!! Thank goodness for the alarm! :)

Tilly! You are my hero too!!! GOOD GIRL!!! :D

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-21-2002, 04:58 PM
:D :D

I don't particularly like spiders, but I'm not afraid of them either. If I see one around I'll just ignore it - until it starts coming my way. ;) When I lived in Green Bay I had a lot of small spiders in my house and Tubby loved them. Kept him quite entertained. I'd come home and see him looking up at the ceiling. There would be nothing there and I thought he had lost it :rolleyes: but an hour or two later (yes, he was still sitting there) I'd finally see something crawling on the wall way high up by the ceiling. We don't have too many these days - poor Tubby. ;) :D

I've had a spider living in the outside mirror on my car for about the last week or so. He's a big one, maybe about an inch long total, and has some red legs. He's really kind of creepy looking, but I don't have the heart to kill him. Everynight he builds a spiderweb between my car and Terry's car. Just about every morning I walk through it (:rolleyes: & ick). And it seems like what the spider does then is go about collecting the part of the web that is left hanging on my car. I first noticed him one morning when I was on the highway, going about 65 or so and he was curled up in a ball, hanging on to one little strand of the web, and flopping in the breeze. Thank goodness I had to slow down (traffic - ugh!) and he could collect his wits and his web and head into the mirror. I was really surprised when I came out the next morning and there was the web again. I didn't know if he was there or not, but sure enough he came to collect the broken web - hung on for dear life again - and this has been going on for about a week now. One of these days I'm going to get him somehow and put him on a tree or a bush or something so I don't have to wreck all his hard work every morning. Poor thing. Works so hard and I walk right through it. Some mornings I've remembered (who says the memory is the first thing to go :rolleyes: ) and carefully disconnected the ends from Terry's car so I don't wreck the whole thing.

I know, call me weird but he works so hard I just don't have the heart to kill him. And this one is big too, so I don't think I'd let Tubby at him either.

Pam
08-21-2002, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by lynnestankard
must admit walking into a web in the dark is a horrible - so sticky!!lynne

Lynne I have to agree with you here!! When I was young and lived at home we had two huge evergreens, one on each side of the front door. Occasionally I would come home in the dark and walk through a web. It almost made me insane!! I HATE THAT FEELING!! I would come screaming into the house and ask whoever was home if the spider was on me. Just thinking about it now gives me the creeps.

A couple of years ago my son woke up one morning covered with welts on his body and his eyes were all puffy and swollen shut. We went to the ER and they felt it either was a food reaction or a spider bite. Since he hadn't eaten anything unusual the night before they settled on the spider bite theory. GAG!!!!!!!!!!!

toughCookie
08-22-2002, 09:46 PM
I don't know if I would become that terrified, but it depends on the kind of spider... a big one might just make me react the same way! I DO react like that if I see a scorpion in the house, I really freak out, and am not able to rest til I get it with the vacuum hose! then I put the vacuum on the porch til later that day or if it is night, til the morning! <shudder> they give me the creeps bigtime!

last week, I checked on the cats that were on the enclosed porch, and there was Emma with a spider in her mouth! eeeww!
she seemed pretty happy about it though!:eek: :D

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-23-2002, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom
I've had a spider living in the outside mirror on my car for about the last week or so.

No spiderweb this morning. :( I think maybe he got rained out since we got quite the deluge yesterday. Poor guy. It was still quite wet this morning, so hopefully he was just hanging out - drying out and he'll be back tomorrow. Even though he's a spider, I hope he's ok. :(

NoahsMommy
08-23-2002, 06:08 PM

No spiderweb this morning. :( I think maybe he got rained out since we got quite the deluge yesterday. Poor guy. It was still quite wet this morning, so hopefully he was just hanging out - drying out and he'll be back tomorrow. Even though he's a spider, I hope he's ok. :(

You are very kind! That spider would have seen a HUGE shower of Raid if I saw him....that is, if I could bear to get that close. I once had a spider in my car and I had to have it detailed because I wouldn't get back in it otherwise. :rolleyes: I know, I know...this may be why my husband calls me "Princess". :D To this day, my husband isn't allowed to leave a car with the windows down while parked...SPIDERS!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

NoahsMommy
08-26-2002, 03:45 PM
I've had a spider living in the outside mirror on my car for about the last week or so. He's a big one, maybe about an inch long total, and has some red legs. He's really kind of creepy looking, but I don't have the heart to kill him.

I was walking up the steps to our building after lunch and saw "your" spider! It was just like the one you had in your mirror! I had to come tell you! :)

I was good, I left it there! :D

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-29-2002, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by NoahsMommy

I was walking up the steps to our building after lunch and saw "your" spider! It was just like the one you had in your mirror! I had to come tell you! :)

I was good, I left it there! :D

Thanks! :) I bet you made a wiiiiiiiide path around it though. ;)

Tubby was out in the garage last Friday night. He was just sitting in his favorite spot when all of a sudden he gets those big "what's that" eyes. I tell him it's nothing, but he gets up and runs over by one of the cars....well, it's a long story, and I got some great pictures, so I'll save the rest until I get a chance to post the whole story with pics. :D

NoahsMommy
08-29-2002, 02:26 PM
Can't wait to see/hear about it! :)