PDA

View Full Version : Where Do Your Drugs Come From

lizbud
02-16-2008, 11:14 AM
Another thing to worry about.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/chi-sat_bloodthinner_0216feb16,0,3934736.story

gini
02-16-2008, 11:39 AM
I for one, am sick to death of all of the stories coming out of China about products shipped to the U.S.

And it is all about $$$$$$$$$$$

lizbud
02-16-2008, 11:46 AM
I for one, am sick to death of all of the stories coming out of China about products shipped to the U.S.

And it is all about $$$$$$$$$$$

Is it going to take a mass tragedy to get more funds & organization for
our FDA to function properly. Everyone seems to think it's someone elses
job to inspect products coming into the American marketplace.

gini
02-16-2008, 11:57 AM
And we have so little say in how our tax dollars are really spent.

It is letter writing time - not just emails - old fashioned snail mail - we need to let our politicians know how we feel.

lady_zana
02-16-2008, 12:39 PM
I think a lot of it is about money too. We want things as cheap as possible - we want to pay workers less than what we get for min. wage per hour as their *daily* wage and then we expect the products to be high-quality, *American* standard workmanship.

We need to not cut corners on how our products are made and that means not cutting corners on what we pay our workers and how we treat them.

kitten645
02-16-2008, 12:45 PM
I hear it EVERYDAY at my store..."I don't want anything made in China" Then I show them the alternative and every time.."I don't want to spend that much" I think it's virtually impossible to get people to pay more once they've paid a lower price. I think American or European made products need to market themselves as such. Spend the ad dollars on that aspect.
Claudia

gini
02-16-2008, 03:06 PM
Los Angeles Times 2/16/08

Metal fragments found in imported candy

template_bas
template_bas

From the Associated Press
February 16, 2008

LAKELAND, FLA. -- The importer of a Valentine's Day lollipop said it was voluntarily recalling the treats after metal fragments were found in at least two lollipops sold at central Florida stores.

Sherwood Brands of Maryland, which imports the candy from China, said it was recalling all of its Pokemon Valentine Cards and Pops, which have been pulled from the shelves of thousands of stores across the country.

About 20 lollipops were seized at Kathleen Elementary School in Lakeland. X-rays determined that only one piece definitely had metal -- what appeared to be a staple -- inside, Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd said.

On Wednesday, a woman in nearby Mulberry told authorities she found a lollipop with a piece of metal in it in a bag of the product. The metal appeared to be part of a razor blade, authorities said.

The sheriff's office issued a safety advisory and the Dollar General chain removed the product from its more than 8,000 stores nationwide. The Food and Drug Administration is investigating.

Judd said the two tainted lollipops were purchased from different Dollar General stores near Lakeland. He said the lollipops did not appear to have been tampered with and it appeared the metal found its way into the candy in China, where it was produced.

No injuries were reported.

The sheriff's office said Sherwood Brands was cooperating. "They are as concerned as we are," Judd said.

Sherwood Brands did not return calls seeking comment Thursday but announced the recall in a statement.

Edwina's Secretary
02-16-2008, 03:32 PM
How many inspectors would you be willing to pay for to inspect every drug and every food that comes into this country?

To ask the FDA to inspect EVERYTHING? Could it even be done?

lizbud
02-16-2008, 04:47 PM
How many inspectors would you be willing to pay for to inspect every drug and every food that comes into this country?

It would cost more but, why not hire American companies to test incoming
products? We would win two ways. Better products & providing jobs for this
country.

gini
02-16-2008, 05:08 PM

I think the answer is clearly - no.