PDA

View Full Version : Update on Kirby/Woody...

jennielynn1970
02-16-2008, 01:18 AM
With a heavy heart, but a happier heart for Woody, and must tell you all that Woody has gone to new home within the last week. :)

I have been working my FT job and also my partime job after work, and Woody was alone for the majority of the day, and very unhappy. :(

Although I spent a large amount of time with him after work, but it didn't seem to be enough, and he missed playing with other doggies. :( :(

He was so excited to be with other dogs outside, and was depressed inside because none of the cats wanted to play with him. I didn't think there would be a big issue between them, but he was very hyperactive and played rough.

I found a home for him with friends of mine who live by Beltzville Dam. They have a 1acre fenced yard, a 3-5 year old min pin, Paco, for him to play with, and the couple is home most of the day. :)

The husband is retired and take the dogs everywhere with him, and the wife is a part time beautician at old folks homes. And she can take him there with her to entertain the old people, along with her Min Pin who already goes for visits.

What I know is that I miss him dearly, but that for his own good, his own happiness, this was in his best interest.

He went with a billion and one toys, the cat beds he coveted a little too fondly, and all his stuffies and his bedding. He is spoiled rotten, and I have pictures from them to prove it.. so hang in there and I'll get them posted. The husband had just been mentioning to his wife (who the min pin is bonded with) that the next dog he gets was going to be a hound... so when I heard that, and knew Woody needed an environment like theirs, I knew Hank had to meet Woody. And, like everyone he met, Woody charmed the pants off him, lol. It was love at first sight of those big old ears, and that bow legged walk of his, and of course his talkative nature. That boy can hold a conversation with the best of the chatty dogs!

I know this wasn't what was anticipated for Woody when he came here, but he's got a better place, a happier place than if he had stayed with me and I had been selfish. It just wouldn't have been fair to that sweetie.

He now has another new name.... They are calling him FRED (like Fred Basset in the comic strip), but I think there's just something about him that has more of a PHRED about him.... lol.

I'll be able to keep up with him through emails and with visits. My dad sees Hank about 3-4 times a week, so I'll get updates plenty!

I'm hoping no one is upset. I made sure his shots were all updated, and he had his first set of Frontline Plus and HeartGuard. I told the family I'd gladly pay for his neutering as well. His huge bag of Nutro puppy food went with him, and all of his toys and his crate.

Maybe sometime down the line, when I have more time, and I'm thinking a summer time deal when I'm out of work, I'll look in to rescuing an older dog, but one from the Philly area, and that way we can save a PA dog as well. K9Karen said she'd come with and help me with that as well!

Hope everyone is ok with what has been decided. I didn't think sending him back to Leslie to be given to a pound was the correct answer, so finding a perfect home for him as soon as I could when I realized it wasn't going to make him happy here, I think I did the best I could.

jennielynn1970
02-16-2008, 01:19 AM
Here are some pics of FRED and his new brother PACO, as well as his human brother's dog (a boston bull).

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t261/jenn_librarian/P1010010.jpg
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t261/jenn_librarian/P1010007.jpg
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t261/jenn_librarian/P1010008.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t261/jenn_librarian/P1010006.jpg
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t261/jenn_librarian/P1010005.jpg
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t261/jenn_librarian/p1010002.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t261/jenn_librarian/P1010001.jpg

Cinder & Smoke
02-16-2008, 01:29 AM
Fred or Phred ~ I'm flattered (even though Hank never heard of me).

Glad the Boy seems HAPPIE - and he's sure *smiling* in the pictures.
Any chance New Mom & Dad have a 'puter - and would like to become Pet Talkers?

Ya did GOOD, Jenn!

jennielynn1970
02-16-2008, 01:58 AM
Fred or Phred ~ I'm flattered (even though Hank never heard of me).

Glad the Boy seems HAPPIE - and he's sure *smiling* in the pictures.
Any chance New Mom & Dad have a 'puter - and would like to become Pet Talkers?

Ya did GOOD, Jenn!

They have a computer, not sure how avid they are about using it, but I can mention it!! Otherwise I'll just update when they email me.

kallisto4529
02-16-2008, 02:02 AM
Jenn you did a wonderful thing for that precious boy. What a completely selfless act. You should be completely proud of yourself for making sure his happiness came before your own. I think you did the right thing. :D

shais_mom
02-16-2008, 02:27 AM
well it may not have been what 'we' had in mind but I have a feeling there was a Bigger plan in the mix when you fell for Woody/Kirby/Fred/Phred. :)
things happen for a reason
there was nothing selfless in what you did in finding him the perfect home!
you are right it would have been SELFISH for you too keep him if he was miserable. you're friends might not be Pet Talker's (yet) but it sounds like they are the next best thing! :)
he's adorable!
and you are right - maybe this summer you can find a nice more sedate - older dog that will fit in perfectly! :)

Pam
02-16-2008, 06:01 AM
well it may not have been what 'we' had in mind but I have a feeling there was a Bigger plan in the mix when you fell for Woody/Kirby/Fred/Phred. :) things happen for a reason

I believe that too. Fred/Phred has bounced around a little but has been in loving homes all the way. It looks like he has found his final destination and there will be lots of love there as well. Don't forget to update us with pictures as you get them. The ones you posted are very cute. :)

sasvermont
02-16-2008, 06:02 AM
Jenn, I agree that if it wasn't working out, then the best change would be a new home. And you found the best home, for sure. Fred will have lots of attention and fur buddies to play with ALL DAY. I want that for all dogs and cats. I am sure he will be much happier. You made the right choice. AND you get to have continual uppie dates!

Good job.

Sas and her campers

3muttsandaboston
02-16-2008, 06:20 AM
I'm not trying to sound like a spoil sport or anything but did you not realize before you got him and he got flown half way across the country and bounced all around that you didn't have the time for him? I know right now I wouldn't have time for a puppy let alone a hound puppy. Ok off my soap box. I'm very happy he found a good home finally with someone with lots of attention to give and other dogs! I love the boston terrier.

shais_mom
02-16-2008, 06:59 AM
apparently she didn't realize it -

I'm single- work full time- live 30 miles from my family.
When Keegan was a puppy I was single- worked full time and lived 30 miles from my family. I wasn't as close to my neighbors then as I am now. She was such a handful as a puppy that there were times I wondered if I should find her another home. But I stuck with it - she didn't miss the company of dogs like Fred did, she just had pent up energy. She still prefers people to dogs.
But I myself wouldn't change a thing in my life.
I'm sure the people that donated and helped him get to PA are just glad he's happy.
Let us remember - until we walk a mile in someone's shoes, we don't know what their life is like.

AdoreMyDogs
02-16-2008, 08:41 AM
Jenn, as I stated earlier, I feel this decision was selfless and for the best interest of Woody. I must say, that boy has been threw a record amount of names! Haha, Fred seems like a good name, although I'll always see him as Woody.

I know this was a hard choice for you. I know it hurt, it hurt for me to part with him too. He's a lot of dog because he's a puppy, but what a loving nature he's got. He's going to be a great, loyal, affectionate dog when he's out of his puppy stage.

Please know that there are no hard feelings on my part. I'm happy that he's happy. His happiness is all that matters, really. He LOVED, LOVED, LOVED my two dogs while he was with me. And because he was so affectionate with people, it's nice that he has a home with folks who are home most of the day. That boy is VERY affectionate, and I know he's happy in his new home.

On a different note, I'm so sorry I haven't posted any photos of Quinn in her new outfits. I promise I haven't forgotten. She's worn them, but I just haven't gotten around to taking her photos in them yet. I really will get them soon, I promise :)

beeniesmom
02-16-2008, 08:42 AM
I'm not trying to sound like a spoil sport or anything but did you not realize before you got him and he got flown half way across the country and bounced all around that you didn't have the time for him? I know right now I wouldn't have time for a puppy let alone a hound puppy. Ok off my soap box. I'm very happy he found a good home finally with someone with lots of attention to give and other dogs! I love the boston terrier.

I didn't really follow the whole Woody transfer thing everyday but I have to admit that after reading your thread jen, sadly my first thought was the same as above. :(

However, from what you wrote, I'm sure Woody will be happier now. I know puppies need and want a lot of attention and get destructive if they don't get it. Beenie was such a crazy and destructive puppy that I was forced to tell my boss to choose: for me to quit or 2) for me to bring her with me.
It was cheaper for me to lose my job than to fix the house every time she chewed a wall or piece of furniture. Fortunately I got to bring her to work with me for about 6 months until she got out of the chew stage.

Now as long as I walk her twice a day (morning and night), that wears her out enough that she sleeps and is quiet all day when I leave her home.

Sorry you are having to go through this scrutiny now. I still admire you for trying and wanting to take on a the huge responsibility of a new pupper, even thought it didn't go the "way" originally intended. hugs

Freedom
02-16-2008, 08:59 AM
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t261/jenn_librarian/P1010008.jpg

That's our boy!

Grace
02-16-2008, 09:24 AM
Way back when, I wondered if you were biting off more than you could handle. But the important thing is - it all worked out in the end. Fred is in a wonderful home, and just look at the places he has gone, and the people he has met in his short life!!

Everyone involved has done good :)

gini
02-16-2008, 10:33 AM
I think it takes a lot of courage to say "this might have been a mistake".........and then be able to find a good home for Woody/Kirby/Phred/Fred.

A huge fenced in yard.
A buddy to play with all day.
Humans who will love him.
People who are home all day.

And nine cats who have sighed a sigh of relief!

It should be all about our pets............not us

And they lived happily ever after:D

Taz_Zoee
02-16-2008, 12:29 PM
Jennie, I know this wasn't easy for you, but you did the right thing for Fred (I hope he doesn't have an identity crisis :p). The good thing is he is with family friends so you will get to keep in touch and PT updated.
I can understand some people not understanding why she decided to take him in the first place. But really you can't know the full impact of it until it actually happens. And at least she didn't just dump him off at a shelter. She found him a wonderful, loving home where he is obviously VERY happy.
I just love the second picture of him on the chair. :D

Daisy and Delilah
02-16-2008, 12:58 PM
I'll never get over how cute he is :D Jennie, it sounds like you found him an excellent home to go to. Every time I see pics of him, I want to kiss him. :) Fred is such a cute name for him too :)

jennielynn1970
02-16-2008, 01:01 PM
You're not a spoil sport... and honestly, no, I didn't realize that he was still such a puppy and needed the amount of time that he really did require. I realized he was a puppy, but didn't realize how active he would be, and that he would be so lonely without other dogs. That was a big part... he was lonely cause my cats did not want to play. He was sad... that made me sad. He had been through a lot, and I just wanted him to be happy and have a great home.

So, yeah, I guess you could make me the posterchild for not knowing exactly what she was getting into with a puppy and then rehoming him, but I did what I thought was best for him.

Oh, he and the boston adore eachother! They are both still puppies and love to play. The boston is the son's dog, and he brings him over when he visits his parents.

Rachel
02-16-2008, 03:14 PM
I do believe that you did do what was best for him, and I have to congratulate you on finding him such a good home. I hope Little Phred will now realize that his long journey is finally over and he is finally in his Forever Home.

Maybe your experience will help us all to evaluate our situations as thoroughly as possible and take into consideration the pros and cons of our future adoptions.

jennielynn1970
02-16-2008, 06:49 PM
Maybe your experience will help us all to evaluate our situations as thoroughly as possible and take into consideration the pros and cons of our future adoptions.

Well, it's made me evaluate a lot of things. It's also help me help the owners who adopted Fred. I learned so much about housebreaking in those two weeks, and their dog Paco was trained when they got him, so they had to keep up the housebreaking when they took him in. I told them my schedule, and how exactly I was doing the housebreaking, was using the method that Phred had told CountryWolf07 to use with the husky (tethering to the waist) to keep track of him and all that. Between that and the websites I found, it was the beginnings of a great learning experience, and it helped me help them with Fred. It also will make me evaluate the age and type of any dog I adopt in the future, and if I'm still teaching, I will definitely have to start in early June so that I have the entire summer to do the housebreaking and training.

ramanth
02-16-2008, 07:01 PM
Staci took the words out of my mouth. :)

shais_mom
02-16-2008, 08:00 PM
Staci took the words out of my mouth. :)
;)
goes back to read what she wrote

:D

K9karen
02-16-2008, 09:02 PM
I thought I had replied earlier. I was on a laptop for the first time at someone's house with 2 cats crawling on me and my guess is I forgot to enter.

I couldn't be happier for Woody/Kirby/Fred. We all know not all puppies are the same and believe me, the little bugger had endless energy. There was no way for Jenn to know how it would work out. Thankfully, he's very adaptable. He loves everyone, everything. My bet is that he's in doggie ecstacy! He's where he should be.

I'm thrilled I had a chance to participate in Fred's long journey home. We should all feel awesome. However we contributed, we have a happy ending and a happy Fred!

ARRROOOOOOOOOOOOO! I can still hear him!

Catty1
02-16-2008, 10:34 PM
Between Luna and Kirby, as Phred says, getting furever homes is quite an adventure! :)

You based your decision out of love for Kirby/Fred, and he is sooo happy now! um...I wonder if his new people will wonder about his, er, favourite cat beds?..... ;)

krazyaboutkatz
02-17-2008, 01:14 AM
Jenn, I'm so sorry to hear that things didn't work out with Woody/Kirby/Fred:( but I'm very happy to hear that you found him a wonderful new loving home.:) He sure is a cutie pie and I look forward to hearing many more updates about him in the future.:)

RobiLee
02-17-2008, 07:34 PM
:eek: :confused: :rolleyes: :eek: :confused: :rolleyes:

Yep, I'll be the bitchy one. Can't help it. It's just the way I feel. I wish people would consider what it takes to own a dog and not just jump right into it. People never do seem to learn.

Hmm, Yep, I'm quite the bitch!

jennielynn1970
02-17-2008, 08:01 PM

Yep, I'll be the bitchy one. Can't help it. It's just the way I feel. I wish people would consider what it takes to own a dog and not just jump right into it. People never do seem to learn.

You're not a bitch... and honestly, I'm surprised I didn't get more of those reactions. I deserve a kick in the butt... or a tongue lashing, so it's ok. I considered what it takes, just didn't realize how much he would take. It's taught me a valuable lesson, I just hope it won't affect Woody/Kirby/Fred in the long run. :o

Hope you are feeling better though... have been thinking about you, and hoping things will get better. :)

RobiLee
02-17-2008, 08:41 PM
LOL...thanks Jenn. The truth is that I have been down right bitchy. My closests friends have even told me that. Right, Anna?...lol. I'm trying really hard to get my act together. Thanks for thinking of me and I do hope that the little guy is happy where he is at. I will try to control my outbursts from now on.

Once again thanks for being understanding. :)

shais_mom
02-17-2008, 10:10 PM

Robin -
I'm not sure if you know how much I love you - but you need to print this out too and hang it with my post from your thread the next time you feel like you are hitting rock bottom.
remember it.
much love
Staci

cyber-sibes
02-17-2008, 10:41 PM
Well, I'm a little stunned by this, but hey, sometimes God sends us on interesting little side trips on our way thru life.... looks like Fphred's journey is bringing him to his furever home by making friends from one end of the country to the other on his way there! He looks very happy, and I'm thinking your cats are probably much happier, too.

jennielynn1970
02-18-2008, 02:12 AM
Also... if anyone made a donation to fly Woody/Kirby to me, and feels that they'd like that money refunded, I will do that ASAP. Just PM me, and let me know your paypal account, and I'll refund your donation. I don't want anyone to feel like they spent their money wrongly on this... and I don't want anyone to have hard feelings.

Pawsitive Thinking
02-18-2008, 03:51 AM
Also... if anyone made a donation to fly Woody/Kirby to me, and feels that they'd like that money refunded, I will do that ASAP. Just PM me, and let me know your paypal account, and I'll refund your donation. I don't want anyone to feel like they spent their money wrongly on this... and I don't want anyone to have hard feelings.

Don't be daft! (but thanks for the offer ;) ) The whole point was to get Woody/Kirby/Fred to his furever home and it looks like he has found it with a few pitstops on the way!

Rachel
02-18-2008, 07:15 AM
Jenn, I want to comment that I admire that you have been willing to reflect on the recent choices you made in regard to Woody and have admitted that you could have/should have made different or better ones. Instead of digging in your heels and becoming defensive, you have acknowledged what mistakes were made. That is impressive and goes a long way in my book. Your offer to refund donations is another extention of this. What's most important is the effort you made to find a very good home for Woody and to do that quickly so he could have a chance to bond with a forever family. You are also trying to assist Woody's new family in their own adjustment period to a new puppy. I think many people could learn not only from your mistakes but how you have subsequently handled the aftermath. Thumbs up.

pitc9
02-18-2008, 08:35 AM
You did what was right for him AND you! It's better you did this now instead of a year or so later. He's still a pup and can adjust quickly!

So it didn't work out... oh well... you tried anyway! And now he has a great home where we can still "see" our little world traveler from time to time!

gini
02-18-2008, 11:21 AM
I feel the need to throw my hat in the ring with Jenn too. Let's face it - puppies are A LOT OF WORK. So, Jenn found out that it wasn't going to work out for her and Woody.

She didn't just take him to the pound - she found a GREAT new home for him where he will be well loved - has constant attention - a huge safe yard to run and play in - and another dog to play with as well. She has taken pictures of his new humans and their home and shared them with us.

This whole thing was about WOODY/KIRBY - not Jenn. What we all wanted was for him to have a good life and be safe.

We should all thank Jenn for making that happen. And thank all of the other participants who aided in his transport.

Refunds? Sorry - but Woody already spent the money - no refunds should be available.

lizbud
02-18-2008, 06:07 PM
Jenn, I want to comment that I admire that you have been willing to reflect on the recent choices you made in regard to Woody and have admitted that you could have/should have made different or better ones. Instead of digging in your heels and becoming defensive, you have acknowledged what mistakes were made. That is impressive and goes a long way in my book. Your offer to refund donations is another extention of this. What's most important is the effort you made to find a very good home for Woody and to do that quickly so he could have a chance to bond with a forever family. You are also trying to assist Woody's new family in their own adjustment period to a new puppy. I think many people could learn not only from your mistakes but how you have subsequently handled the aftermath. Thumbs up.

I agree completely. I'm sure the little guy will love his new, more active
household. :)

sparks19
02-18-2008, 10:22 PM
Well it's sad for you... but I am glad he is in a home with other dogs and a nice big yard and an older couple who can give him all the time in the world.

ON an off topic note... I saw you mention that one day you might want to adopt an older dog... you were thinking of going to philly...

I just wanted to let you know about a certain shelter. it really is not the best shelter and they don't have very good facilities as they just don't have the money ... but they are GOOd to their dogs. Belle came from there. It is the Susquehanna Stray Animal Shelter. I only mention them because MANY of their dogs are there for extended periods of time. Belle was there for 6-7 months and she is a wonderful dog. Some of the dogs there currently have been there since Belle was there. They are a no kill shelter and are really trying to do their best by their dogs. Just thought i would throw their name out there for you.

ETA: OH NO I just found out that shelter had to close it's doors :(

bckrazy
02-19-2008, 03:24 AM
Awww, Woody. I mean... Fred. =(

I was really looking forward to watching him grow up on PT. He was like PT's baby Basset boy. I'm glad that you found him a more appropriate home, rather than neglect his needs. But, honestly, I am kind of surprised that you didn't ask for advice. (At least, as far as I know.) There are ways to manage puppyhood, even with a busy life. There are places and ways to socialize with other dogs, without owning another. But I suppose it comes down to whether it is worth the trouble, to the individual.

Puppies can be demanding. Puppies do go through rebellious stages. Puppies do need mental & physical stimulation. No matter the breed. I can't figure out how any of that could be a mystery, to anyone.

jennielynn1970
02-19-2008, 09:11 AM
Awww, Woody. I mean... Fred. =(

But, honestly, I am kind of surprised that you didn't ask for advice. (At least, as far as I know.) There are ways to manage puppyhood, even with a busy life. There are places and ways to socialize with other dogs, without owning another. But I suppose it comes down to whether it is worth the trouble, to the individual.

Puppies can be demanding. Puppies do go through rebellious stages. Puppies do need mental & physical stimulation. No matter the breed. I can't figure out how any of that could be a mystery, to anyone.

It had nothing to do with whether it was worth the trouble. It had to do with working 12-14hr days and him being crated the entire time. There is no one available to take him out during the day, and doggie day care is not a financially feasible option. I tried to limit him to the kitchen, gating him in there, but that just seemed to negate the housebreaking that had been started.

Had I realized how much more he had to go with housebreaking, and that the crate training is really necessary, and if my part time job would be so erratic with it's days and times, and had it been June(when school is out and I don't have work every day) it would have been less problematic. Had I wanted to keep him crated and miserable for 12-14hrs a day, I could have sucked it up and done that. Would that have made him happy? No.

I grew up on a farm, and our dogs were NOT crate trained, so this was new to me, and I just can't justify doing it to a 3month old puppy for 12+ hrs a day without a break. If there was someone else there during the day, someone to break the monotony in the cage and let him out to run and all that, it would have been fine. I don't have that option.

So, being "worth the trouble" had nothing to do with it. Nor did the "oh, he's a puppy and challenging." I don't know how else to state what I've already stated without someone jumping to conclusions or stating a misconception.

K9soul
02-19-2008, 10:18 AM
It had to do with working 12-14hr days and him being crated the entire time. There is no one available to take him out during the day, and doggie day care is not a financially feasible option.

I would personally advise you hold off on any dog, even an older one, if you regularly work such long hours and will continue to. Your kitties can keep each other company and use their litter boxes but a dog is more dependent on human companionship and interaction, and having to "hold it" for that long would be really hard on a dog of any age. If your work schedule becomes less lengthy perhaps an older dog would make a good fit. I'd personally prefer one of the medium or larger/laid back breeds or mixes for your situation. Of course puppies generally are never particularly laid back but often by 3 or 4 they have become more content to snooze away during the times you are gone.

jennielynn1970
02-19-2008, 11:07 AM
I'm not rushing anything, believe me. Maybe next year? Maybe a few years? Right now, with the hours, it's just not manageable.

bckrazy
02-19-2008, 08:52 PM
So, being "worth the trouble" had nothing to do with it. Nor did the "oh, he's a puppy and challenging." I don't know how else to state what I've already stated without someone jumping to conclusions or stating a misconception.

I don't think I was jumping to conclusions? I just thought it was common knowledge that a puppy needs a potty break every 3 or so hours. I wouldn't leave my adult dogs inside for 12-14 hours, without a potty break, so I agree with you on that.

I don't know, it's just puzzeling to me, why your work hours weren't considered before Woody was flown out. :confused: But I have nothing else to say, so I'll just drop it.

jennielynn1970
02-19-2008, 09:40 PM
Actually my work hours were changing as the whole thing was developing. I took on a Homebound students, and the hours changed what she was getting per week, and then between her mom or her cancelling her appt., then me needed to switch somehting from the next day to another day, and just trying to be sane with it all, it ended up taking up more than the number of hours I get paid for because I have to conference with the mom and the teachers at school as well. 5 hours a week extra is fine. Add in another 8-10 with teachers adn parents, and travel time in between these places, it's a pain in the butt, especially when they don't tell you till last minute, or you get there adn the kid is still asleep at 4pm. It just got to be too much of a schedule hassle, but I need the money from that... it's a big help (like over $30/hr), and with my mortgage and the cat expenses, it's not wasted at all.

shais_mom
02-20-2008, 12:13 PM
But I suppose it comes down to whether it is worth the trouble, to the individual.

I don't think I was jumping to conclusions? I just thought it was common knowledge that a puppy needs a potty break every 3 or so hours. I wouldn't leave my adult dogs inside for 12-14 hours, without a potty break, so I agree with you on that.

I don't know, it's just puzzeling to me, why your work hours weren't considered before Woody was flown out. :confused: But I have nothing else to say, so I'll just drop it.
to bckrazy
actually I thought you were jumping to conclusions and actually rather rude when you said 'worth the trouble.'
to others (b/c I don't want bckrazy to think it is her I have in mind b/c it definately isn't)
Why is it ok on this board for some people to re-home their animals and go out and get others and its fine but ONE person finds a Frigging fabulous home for a puppy b/c she found out was going to be too much for her and its like she hung him out by his toenails??? :mad:
There's other people on this flippin board that are heavy into rescue that keep finding homes for their animals (dogs or cats) and oh its ok b/c its all in the name of rescue. Or oh Its ok b/c they rescue cats or mice or birds or elephants? What's good for one person should be good for the other but it isn't on here.
I have had it with it this mentality on this board. But its ok for someone to rehome their pets b/c they can't afford them and within a year while still complaining about lack of funds - getting more animals?
I've said it before and I'll say it again -
until you walk a mile in someone's shoes you don't know what their life is like.

Grace
02-20-2008, 12:19 PM
to bckrazy
actually I thought you were jumping to conclusions and actually rather rude when you said 'worth the trouble.'
to others (b/c I don't want bckrazy to think it is her I have in mind b/c it definately isn't)
Why is it ok on this board for some people to re-home their animals and go out and get others and its fine but ONE person finds a Frigging fabulous home for a puppy b/c she found out was going to be too much for her and its like she hung him out by his toenails??? :mad:
There's other people on this flippin board that are heavy into rescue that keep finding homes for their animals (dogs or cats) and oh its ok b/c its all in the name of rescue. Or oh Its ok b/c they rescue cats or mice or birds or elephants? What's good for one person should be good for the other but it isn't on here.
I have had it with it this mentality on this board. But its ok for someone to rehome their pets b/c they can't afford them and within a year while still complaining about lack of funds - getting more animals?
until you walk a mile in someone's shoes you don't know what their life is like.

BRAVO !!

shais_mom
02-20-2008, 12:26 PM
BRAVO !!
thank you!

k9krazee
02-20-2008, 12:43 PM
I haven't said ANYTHING about the entire Kirby/Woody/Fred thing and I don't even know why I'm bothering now. But I thought it was a horrible idea from the start, and still think it was wrong to fly the pup halfway across the US only to re home him. I agree with everything Erica (bckrazy) had to say. I guess the bottom line is that he did get a good home and I do believe Jenn learned something from the whole ordeal, which makes me happy. But this whole thing could have been prevented from the start (jostling a helpless pup around, spending $, not to mention stress of getting him there, etc) if the situation would have been better analyzed and thought out before hand. Just my 2 cents. *shrugs*

Karen
02-20-2008, 12:45 PM
We all learn, every day. It was a learning experience for Jenn, and probably for K9Karen as well!, and we should all be grateful that sweet Fred now has his forever home, a far cry from being found on the streets of Texas, alone and afraid.

And, being a hound pup, it doesn't seem to have bothered him one bit!

3muttsandaboston
02-20-2008, 12:52 PM
I guess this is why if I bred/rescued I wouldn't fly pups out to someone I never met. No puppy should really be left for more than 5 hours alone and you should have known that if you did your research. I feel bad for the little guy that he was bounced around so much. It also seems like you should have asked K9karen if she wanted him before you gave him to someone else since she had such a big part in his transport and fell in love with him. If you did ask her i'm sorry for mentioning this.

CountryWolf07
02-20-2008, 12:56 PM
to bckrazy

I AGREE! Honestly. Listen to the last sentence.

No offense.. but can I just say...

THANK YOU for stating it!

Geez, please, let this issue go. Kirby/Woody/Fred is in a GOOD HOME! Isn't that what we all want for a puppy/kitten/dog/cat... ANY type of animal that needs a loving home? The key word is "LOVING"..

This is why I don't post much often around here.... sorry. I've been bitten my head off about my post of Anna once, and that made me realize something, and that was only at least two years ago.

cyber-sibes
02-20-2008, 01:35 PM
We all learn, every day. It was a learning experience for Jenn, and probably for K9Karen as well!, and we should all be grateful that sweet Fred now has his forever home, a far cry from being found on the streets of Texas, alone and afraid.

And, being a hound pup, it doesn't seem to have bothered him one bit!Well said!

shais_mom
02-20-2008, 01:39 PM
I guess this is why if I bred/rescued I wouldn't fly pups out to someone I never met. No puppy should really be left for more than 5 hours alone and you should have known that if you did your research. I feel bad for the little guy that he was bounced around so much. It also seems like you should have asked K9karen if she wanted him before you gave him to someone else since she had such a big part in his transport and fell in love with him. If you did ask her i'm sorry for mentioning this.
Karen had pretty much made it clear she wasn't ready for a puppy at the time.

Well, if puppies shouldn't be left alone then I should re-home my 6 year old Keegan b/c she was left home while I worked full time and am a single person.
This mentality that only non-single people can have dogs is for the birds.
My "neglected" as a puppy golden retriever is in a lot better home with me working full time than a lot of other people who have family members home all day. Someone might want to tell her she's neglected b/c I'm sure she doesn't realize that seeings that I just spent the last four months with her 24/7 while I was off work for a broken foot.

the superior attitude of some of the naysayer's make me really glad I'm not frequenting here as much. I'm glad everyone else is so perfect. I'm humbled in your presence. :rolleyes:

shais_mom
02-20-2008, 01:39 PM
I haven't said ANYTHING about the entire Kirby/Woody/Fred thing and I don't even know why I'm bothering now. But I thought it was a horrible idea from the start, and still think it was wrong to fly the pup halfway across the US only to re home him. I agree with everything Erica (bckrazy) had to say. I guess the bottom line is that he did get a good home and I do believe Jenn learned something from the whole ordeal, which makes me happy. But this whole thing could have been prevented from the start (jostling a helpless pup around, spending $, not to mention stress of getting him there, etc) if the situation would have been better analyzed and thought out before hand. Just my 2 cents. *shrugs*
if its wrong to fly him across the country then flying any puppy should be banned from the airlines.

Catty1
02-20-2008, 01:46 PM
All PTrs care about animals.

Just a reminder - people are animals too. :)

hugs
Catty1

shais_mom
02-20-2008, 01:49 PM
I AGREE! Honestly. Listen to the last sentence.

No offense.. but can I just say...

THANK YOU for stating it!

Geez, please, let this issue go. Kirby/Woody/Fred is in a GOOD HOME! Isn't that what we all want for a puppy/kitten/dog/cat... ANY type of animal that needs a loving home? The key word is "LOVING"..

This is why I don't post much often around here.... sorry. I've been bitten my head off about my post of Anna once, and that made me realize something, and that was only at least two years ago.
:)
thank you Rachel!

3muttsandaboston
02-20-2008, 01:52 PM
I didn't say that it was wrong to leave an adult dog home alone but I think it is wrong to leave a young puppy home alone. Their bladders just aren't meant to be held yet.

Ginger's Mom
02-20-2008, 01:55 PM
Well, if puppies shouldn't be left alone then I should re-home my 6 year old Keegan b/c she was left home while I worked full time and am a single person.
This mentality that only non-single people can have dogs is for the birds.
I am not sure what re-homing Keegan at this point would do. I got Ginger as a puppy, I would not get another puppy again while working full-time. It really was a mistake. My girl survived just fine, but my carpet didn't (and my nerves almost didn't). It is probably a lot of extra stress that isn't good for the pup when it has so much to learn in that first year. I would consider adopting an older dog, however. And once I am not working full-time, if I have the patience I may try a puppy again.

I also have to say that I think comparing this to people who rescue dogs/cats from shelters, spend time teaching them some manners and learning their ideosyncracies and interviewing people to find the right home, to this situation is rather insulting to the many people who put so much time and effort into rescue. JMO.

JenBKR
02-20-2008, 02:00 PM
I haven't been around much lately, so I missed this all when it happened, but I just read through this thread and I have to say I am surprised by some of the responses. shais_mom said it best:

to bckrazy

I completely agree. To those of you looking down on Jenn.....if only we were all as "perfect" as you.....

Jenn: As hard as it may be, sometimes the best thing we can do for a pet is to rehome him/her if we can't give them the care they deserve. ((((hugs)))) I am sure that this was not an easy decision in any way. You did what was best for Kirby/Woody.

pitc9
02-20-2008, 02:10 PM
As it's been said before....
YOU LIVE AND YOU LEARN.

Staci said it perfectly!!

Kfamr
02-20-2008, 02:33 PM
I told some people that I wasn't going to comment in this thread but I do have to say one thing. Everyone will have differing opinions, some will take sides - however, that does NOT make anyone right or wrong and it certainly does not call for sarcasm or rolly eyes.

I wish you well, Woody/Kirby/Phred, and hopefully this whole ordeal is forgotten by you and smothered with love. :)

k9krazee
02-20-2008, 02:50 PM
if its wrong to fly him across the country then flying any puppy should be banned from the airlines.

Eh, and that's totally not what I meant. I have no problems with dogs and airlines whatsoever. My point was it was a waste of resources to fly him across the country when a local home would have been SOOOO much easier for all parties involved. That's all I was trying to say. That the money and time spent of sending this pup could have been used to save five other dogs as well.

I do agree that you live and learn, and I have no harsh feelings toward Jenn and her decision.

Pam
02-20-2008, 03:01 PM
We do funny things when we are smitten by a dog. :) I vowed that I would never get a puppy in the winter because I didn't want to have to housebreak a dog in bad weather. Well, I went to "look" at Bella in February. She was in the car on the way home :) and I was out every morning after that in my bathrobe and slippers walking her in ice, sleet and snow. :rolleyes: :D

shais_mom
02-20-2008, 03:50 PM
Ash - what about all the dogs that were flown to new homes after Katrina and the WTC?
I'm not being a &itch (b/c I love you!) I just fail to see the difference.

shais_mom
02-20-2008, 03:53 PM
I am not sure what re-homing Keegan at this point would do. I got Ginger as a puppy, I would not get another puppy again while working full-time. It really was a mistake. My girl survived just fine, but my carpet didn't (and my nerves almost didn't). It is probably a lot of extra stress that isn't good for the pup when it has so much to learn in that first year. I would consider adopting an older dog, however. And once I am not working full-time, if I have the patience I may try a puppy again.

I also have to say that I think comparing this to people who rescue dogs/cats from shelters, spend time teaching them some manners and learning their ideosyncracies and interviewing people to find the right home, to this situation is rather insulting to the many people who put so much time and effort into rescue. JMO.
I would NEVER re-home Keegan.
and I'm not talking about the animals that these people are rescuing - these were their own pets that is what I am talking about.

k9krazee
02-20-2008, 03:57 PM
Ash - what about all the dogs that were flown to new homes after Katrina and the WTC?
I'm not being a &itch (b/c I love you!) I just fail to see the difference.

That's way different to me because homes weren't necessarily available locally. This case was COMPLETELY different because a highly adoptable pup was flown, and much money and stress later, went to a few more homes.

But alas, this is why I only enjoy reading threads like this, not replying. ;) I just feel as if we're dragging this topic out.

jennielynn1970
02-20-2008, 04:35 PM
I just feel as if we're dragging this topic out.

Same here... can we just stop, please???

If anyone wants to keep commenting, I'll put a new thread in the Dog House and y'all can contribute to that one. It will be titled "Jennie didn't think thoroughly before she acted" or something like that...

BTW.. I do do rescue, but have only dealt with cats. I've done transport for dogs (the blind and the deaf), but that's it. I had dogs when I was younger, when I lived on a farm, and as I said, housebreaking wasn't an issue, or at least not that I can recall. I'm sure my parents do though... And, there was always someone home (my dad worked afternoons, my mom worked days).

So many things you realize when you look back on something in hindsight and see what you didn't plan for (when you planned for a million other things)....