PDA

View Full Version : Berkeley vs. the Marines *sigh*

Pam
02-15-2008, 12:23 PM
Honestly, this makes me sick and angry at the same time. Of course no one is happy with the war and we all wish it would end but honestly this is just so wrong. Thoughts?

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/02/07/berkeley.protests/

smokey the elder
02-15-2008, 12:26 PM
It doesn't matter where on the political spectrum one is; this is disrespectful of an organization which has defended the US since before there even WAS a USA!

caseysmom
02-15-2008, 12:44 PM
I think there are a lot of ways to show your disagreement for the war but I think this was in bad taste for sure.

RICHARD
02-18-2008, 09:37 PM
I think we should send the MEU to Berkeley and take the place over.

IF you noticed the mayor and the rest of the toadies are backing down from the threat because the gov't. may take away 2.2 million in fed money.

Which they should not take because it has written "In God We Trust " on it...

AHs.

Edwina's Secretary
02-18-2008, 11:21 PM
Which they should not take because it has written "In God We Trust " on it...

Yawn...I think the government pays by wire transfer...

RICHARD
02-18-2008, 11:35 PM
Yawn...I think the government pays by wire transfer...

Wake up....

And then they convert it to good ole filthy lucre.

You live closer to those thugs based in Oceanside. :p

Edwina's Secretary
02-19-2008, 09:49 AM
Wake up....

And then they convert it to good ole filthy lucre.

You live closer to those thugs based in Oceanside. :p

No, you are wrong. They write check or wire transfer the money as well.

Yes, and I am afraid to go to Oceanside for just that reason. I went there once and was horrifed. The language, the behavior...it was frightening. And I have been told to be REALLY careful there after dark. It is extremely dangerous.

cmayer31
02-19-2008, 10:23 AM
No, you are wrong. They write check or wire transfer the money as well.

Yes, and I am afraid to go to Oceanside for just that reason. I went there once and was horrifed. The language, the behavior...it was frightening. And I have been told to be REALLY careful there after dark. It is extremely dangerous.

:rolleyes: I live about 20 miles east of Oceanside and it's not scary after dark. For years I worked directly across from Marine Corps Air Station Miramar and it's not a scary place either. I also go to Coronado and watch the races at Naval Air Station North Island. Coronado is full of boutiques and is one of the nicest areas in San Diego county. Just like anywhere there are bad areas and good areas. I just think it's silly to call Oceanside "extremely" dangerous. :)

RICHARD
02-19-2008, 10:53 AM
Sorry, I am always wrong and admit it.

I love Miramar....the noise and the planes. :D

Edwina's Secretary
02-19-2008, 11:03 AM
I just think it's silly to call Oceanside "extremely" dangerous. :)

You are right. Silliness begets silliness and I was over the top. I will say that every time I have been to Oceanside I have witnessed a confrontation and sometimes physical.

I once suggested to a marine and his wife that their profanity-laced tirade toward another man whose car was where they wanted to put their car was inappropriate considering the toddlers in the back seat. The wife flew out of the car and took off after me.

Last Sunday we took a motorcycle ride down the coastal highway. There was a group of very short-haired young men on motorcycles with racist and violent insignia. Just past Solana Beach we saw them again...in a confrontation with police.

RICHARD
02-19-2008, 04:09 PM
I once suggested to a marine and his wife that their profanity-laced tirade toward another man whose car was where they wanted to put their car was inappropriate considering the toddlers in the back seat. The wife flew out of the car and took off after me.

Last Sunday we took a motorcycle ride down the coastal highway. There was a group of very short-haired young men on motorcycles with racist and violent insignia. Just past Solana Beach we saw them again...in a confrontation with police.

The few, the proud, the dangerous not only to citizens of Berkeley. :eek:

cmayer31
02-19-2008, 08:40 PM
You are right. Silliness begets silliness and I was over the top. I will say that every time I have been to Oceanside I have witnessed a confrontation and sometimes physical.

Wow, I'm really sorry to hear about your experiences around here :eek: . I'm fortunate to have had relatively good experiences in the area, but won't deny the over the top sailor's language in that area. It's such nice of a scenic area and hopefully one day it will completely clean up.

Edwina's Secretary
02-19-2008, 09:16 PM
Wow, I'm really sorry to hear about your experiences around here :eek: . I'm fortunate to have had relatively good experiences in the area, but won't deny the over the top sailor's language in that area. It's such nice of a scenic area and hopefully one day it will completely clean up.

I would love to explore the pier there but just don't want more of what I saw/heard in town. I do enjoy Solana Beach though!

RICHARD
02-20-2008, 11:08 PM
Marine week on the Military Channel -coming soon!

RICHARD
02-22-2008, 10:29 PM
http://jewishworldreview.com/cols/sowell021908.php3

Thomas Sowell's 'spin' on Berkeley.

mugsy
02-24-2008, 09:48 AM
That's disgusting. As much as I absolutely abhor "W" and this war (now) and think we need to leave in an orderly manner, I fully support the troops. This is not THEIR war...it's Washington's. The military does defend our country and if Berkley doesn't like it, then maybe they should secede and make their own little country and see how they do...oh and they can't come crying to the U.S. when things don't go their way.

ARGH!

Edwina's Secretary
02-24-2008, 12:45 PM
That's disgusting. As much as I absolutely abhor "W" and this war (now) and think we need to leave in an orderly manner, I fully support the troops. This is not THEIR war...it's Washington's. The military does defend our country and if Berkley doesn't like it, then maybe they should secede and make their own little country and see how they do...oh and they can't come crying to the U.S. when things don't go their way.

ARGH!

Argh is right. I do not support with the actions of Berkeley. If someone wants to sign up for the military...it is not anyone business to prevent them from doing so (except perhaps their mother...)

But to suggest that means "not support the troops" -- a trite overused, meaningless expression that needs to be retired -- is just silly.

Since the beginning of this war (which I have opposed the entire time) anyone who disagrees with "George's Folly" has been accused of "not supporting the troops." Enough already.

RICHARD
02-24-2008, 11:33 PM
Enough already.

So, I guess you aren't gonna tune in to Marine Week?