PDA

View Full Version : Why do they like it so Much???

critter crazy
02-14-2008, 10:05 PM
My cats are atrracted to Bleach!! I have to be very careful when cleaing with bleach, as the cats go nuts!! They come running as soon as I open the bottle!! I swear it is like catnip! They roll around,a nd drag their bodies and such. I have to be very sure I have removed any and all traces of Bleach, as I am afraid they will make themselves sick. Does anyone elses cat do this?? What is the attraction???:confused:

KittyCrazy
02-14-2008, 10:09 PM
Not bleach specifically but Molly is always RIGHT THERE at the edge of the bathroom watching us clean when we get the cleaning products out to do a heavy duty cleaning. Maybe it is the smells.....I just always figured it was her way of saying she doesn't like us messing with HER bathrooms!

Sonia59
02-15-2008, 05:03 AM
Yes my cats do the same. I think the smell of bleach is very attractive for cats.

Taz_Zoee
02-15-2008, 09:39 AM
I don't use bleach so I don't know how Taz would react.
I do know that after I get my nails done he has to have a whif then flinches and wrinkles up his face. Silly Boy!

catmandu
02-15-2008, 09:50 AM
THE FOUND CATS CERTAINLY ARE ATTRACTED TO THE CLOTHES THAT I USE BEACH ON, AND THEY PALYWITH THE CAP OFF THEBLEACH BOTTLE!!
WHY???
WHO KNOWS WITH CATS, PROBABLY TO PUZZLE AND COFUSE US EVEN MORE THAN WE ARE NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:rolleyes: :cool: :cool: :rolleyes: :cool:

angelbow20
02-15-2008, 09:53 AM
Maybe to a cat it smells like cat urine or something and attracts them?

Catlady711
02-15-2008, 07:58 PM
I dunno why they like it, but our hospital cats LOVE to walk all over my freshly mopped floor at work. I used to just chase them across the floors (tracking them all up of course) and grab them, but now I just lock them up before I start mopping and let them out when the floor dries. LOL ;)

CultureJunky
02-16-2008, 05:52 AM
I think it's the ammonia in the product. In the UK recently there have been a handful of cases where cats have died from drinking anti-freeze (the type used in cars) There is now a website about the dangers of Anti-freeze and to not leave it lying around or let them near it.
There was also a list of cleaning products in my magazine to look out for one including Dettol ( I don't know if you have that in the US?) which is a disinfectant that can be used for cleaning, cuts and grazes, on anything, and one cat dyed after licking it's owners laminate wooden floor after she mopped it.
So I would be careful and definately don't let them near the bleach or lick anything that has been cleaned with it. Silly cats!

Catlady711
02-17-2008, 09:35 PM
Assuming we're all talking about Chlorine bleach (common household type) there is no ammonia in it. Actually mixing ammonia with bleach produces toxic fumes.

Chlorine itself is a gas at room temperature. Ordinary table salt (sodium chloride, NaCl) is half chlorine, and a simple electrochemical reaction with salt water produces chlorine gas easily. That same reaction produces sodium hydroxide (NaOH), and by mixing chlorine gas with sodium hydroxide you create sodium hypochlorite (NaOCl). When you buy a gallon of bleach at the grocery store, what you are buying is the chemical sodium hypochlorite mixed with water in a 5.25-percent solution. You're buying salt water that has been changed slightly by electricity.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/question189.htm

*end of science lesson* LOL ;)