PDA

View Full Version : More Sledding adventures...by Tehya

Glacier
02-14-2008, 04:06 PM
WOOOOOO PT

My Mom hasn't been going to her working place lately and it finally warmed up so we have been going for lots of runs!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Sled%20dogs/2007/sunrun-1.jpg
This was a couple days ago. This team was fun! Sundin and Anvik were leading. Sundin gets bored when we go slow so Mom hooked up only the faster dogs! We were flying down the trail!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Sled%20dogs/2007/sevendog.jpg
The doggers were Anvik-Sundin, Hobo, Pacer-ME, Ozzy-Franklin. Paxil was very mad that she had to stay home, but she is kinda old and she can't go so fast anymore!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Sled%20dogs/2007/hobohappi.jpg
Hobo likes it when Mom takes 7 dogs, cuz he always gets to come. Could he be any happier!?

Today's adventure in the next post....

Glacier
02-14-2008, 04:15 PM
Today, Mom took six of us out for a run. Pacer had to stay home cuz he hurt his paw a couple days ago. So I ran beside Ozzy. Sometimes we don't get along so good, but we both wanted to run so we decided to be friends for today!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Sled%20dogs/2007/backwardstrail.jpg
For some reason, Mom told us to HAW where we usually GEE today! We ran down part of our usual trail, but we were going the opposite direction that we usually go on this part! It was very interesting. Things looked familar, but different!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Sled%20dogs/2007/newtrail.jpg
Then instead of turning to do the loop home, we hawed again! That means go left by the way! We went on a brand new trail! Well, new to me. Mom says she went on it with a different team a couple years ago. Our neighbor, Mr. Will, who has a dog team, runs his dogs this way so we followed their tracks!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Sled%20dogs/2007/new.jpg
It was very sunny and warm today. Mom put some goopy stuff on my paws before we left so I didn't have any snowball trouble and I didn't have to wear those dumb booties. I hate those things! :mad:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Sled%20dogs/2007/road.jpg
We came blasting out of the trees and holy smokes, we were at the road! The main road that cars drive on to get to our house! We ran in the ditch beside the road. That was very interesting!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Sled%20dogs/2007/hhill.jpg
Then Mom told us to HAW again. We did alot of hawing today! :p We crossed the road and went on another trail. I have been walking on this trail, so I kinda knew where we were! I forgot about all the hills though. We did alot of climbing!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Sled%20dogs/2007/hillview.jpg
Alot of climbing! Three big hills like this one!

We had a little kerfuffle at the end of the trail where it hits the road again. Paxil and Sundin got all confused and tangled and since we were in the road there was no way for Mom to set the hooks and get off to help us. Fortunately, this was very close to our house and Mom had her cell phone(and it worked in this spot!). So she called Dad, who is home for a few days. He came down the road and fixed the tangle, showed Paxil the right trail and off we went again!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Sled%20dogs/2007/nottired.jpg
What, did you think 12 miles would tire me out? Let's play Anvik!

And that is my adventures for the past few days. Now I have to go get some water and hang out with Sundin. I'm trying to teach him how to play, but he's a bit of a slow learner!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Tehya the sled dog babydog!

Moesha
02-14-2008, 04:21 PM
My question is how your mom can take pictures while riding along. I can make myself sick just thinking about it. LOL

Husky_mom
02-14-2008, 04:25 PM
wht a nice adventure!! and you sure all seem happy!!

thank you for sharing the views and the fun.... just add to the pics

wish I was there...me

cassiesmom
02-14-2008, 04:28 PM
What a pretty, sunny day and beautiful scenery! I like Hobo's happy face, and the picture of Anvik and Tehya playing! I'm glad to hear Dad is home; I bet Mom and Muskwa are especially happy about that! welcome home Dad!

Glacier
02-14-2008, 04:38 PM
My question is how your mom can take pictures while riding along. I can make myself sick just thinking about it. LOL

Well, she takes her little bitty Olympus camera that fits in her inside pocket of her parka. She doesn't take the big fancy Nikon cameras! She just puts the little camera on Auto, pulls it out and shoots. Half the time she doesn't have a clue what the pictures look like til we get home! You'll notice that that there are no pictures of us going down the hills or on the twisty parts of the trail! She needs both hands for those parts!

Husky_mom
02-14-2008, 04:46 PM
just like when at Disney we got on a swing thing that took you turning and floating in air.... and I tried to record it in video.... oh my.... I almost puked... LOL ... from then on I taped without even watching..... LOL..... it was funny though

Freedom
02-14-2008, 04:48 PM
Hey, Teyha! Maybe I don't know what to look at / or look FOR. But it seems to me that , in these photos, YOU are in LINE, where you are supposed to be! Great job, Girl!

kuhio98
02-14-2008, 05:26 PM
My Mom hasn't been going to her working place lately and it finally warmed up so we have been going for lots of runs!This statement worries us a little. :( Don't all our Momcats and Dadcats work at the petfood company? When our Momcat leaves for work, she tells us she's off to slave away to make more petfood. We just assumed that all hoomans work at the petfood place. If you're not there working, will there be a shortage?

Worriedly ~ Halo, Cammie, Pepper, Willow and Willy
:p

Glacier
02-14-2008, 05:29 PM
This statement worries us a little. :( Don't all our Momcats and Dadcats work at the petfood company? If you're not there
working, will there be a shortage?

Worriedly ~ Halo, Cammie, Pepper, Willow and Willy
:p

Woooo little kitties

Don't worry. My Mom is just on holidays for a little while then she will go back to slavin' away. Some other humans are doing her work, although Mom says they are probably just letting it pile up on her desk til she gets back!

WOoooo
Tehya

ramanth
02-14-2008, 05:42 PM
Looks like a blast as always! :D

Cinder & Smoke
02-14-2008, 07:37 PM
I forgot about all the hills though. We did a lot of climbing!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Sled%20dogs/2007/hillview.jpg
Alot of climbing! Three big hills like this one!

We had a little kerfuffle at the end of the trail where it hits the road again...
So she called Dad, who is home for a few days.
He came down the road and fixed the tangle, showed Paxil the right trail and off we went again!

/s/ Tehya the sled dog babydog!

WOW!!!
BEEEEEE-UTIFUL Scenery!! :)

And thank Heaven for "Dad" being home!
Welcome Home, Stuart! *waves*
:D

Glacier
02-14-2008, 08:38 PM
Hey, Teyha! Maybe I don't know what to look at / or look FOR. But it seems to me that , in these photos, YOU are in LINE, where you are supposed to be! Great job, Girl!

Thank wooo! I'm getting better at focusing, Mom says...somedays at least. Somedays I get distracted. I do not like it when Daisy tries to run beside me or if Mac is loose I want to play with him!

And thank Heaven for "Dad" being home!

Mom says it's nice to have a handler again! She wooda figured some way to fix things if she had to, but it was much easier to just call!

Tehya

cyber-sibes
02-14-2008, 08:56 PM
Looks like you all had fun, fun, & more fun!

Ginger's Mom
02-14-2008, 09:39 PM
It's always fun to hear your adventures, pretty girl. And I love that happy Hobo face. Next time maybe you can take a more leisurely run so Paxil can go. ;)

So Glacier, I guess I thought a lot of your sledding was just following the same path most of the time, and that the dogs more or less knew the course. But you really can just sit behind seven dogs and say Haw or Gee, and they will take you where you want to go? That really amazes me. Ginger sometimes knows her right from left when I ask, but I wouldn't want to be out in -20 degrees (or whatever it was today) and count on getting seven dogs to listen to me. What a good job you do out there.

DJFyrewolf36
02-15-2008, 01:46 AM
Wow, it looks beautiful out there although it seems a bit cold! I wouldn't want to be out there without your fur coat Tehya!

Pawsitive Thinking
02-15-2008, 04:41 AM
I love sharing your adventures Tehya!

chocolatepuppy
02-15-2008, 06:24 AM
I absolutely love your pictures Tamara! Not only your beautiful dogs but the scenery is breathtaking. I would love to be out on those trails, even just once. Thanks for sharing your world with us! :D

anna_66
02-15-2008, 07:27 AM
Wow, how cool....new trails! I bet everyone (including you) had a great time, sure looks like it!

I had some questions, but it looks like they were already answered!

I want to come to your house and go sledding (I've NEVER sledded on any type of sled:eek: )

Thanks for sharing your fun times!

Glacier
02-15-2008, 02:47 PM
But you really can just sit behind seven dogs and say Haw or Gee, and they will take you where you want to go? That really amazes me.

I have three command leaders--Paxil, Pingo and Sundin. All three of them will respond correctly to commands almost all the time. Sundin sometimes needs to hear the command twice. If Pingo refuses a command there is a reason--the ice isn't safe, there's a moose just down the trail ect. Pingo's gift is her trail sense. I learned the hard way to never argue with her when she refuses a command. Yesterday was the first time I've ever seen Paxil blow a command completely, but technically she did what I asked her to do. She hawed, but onto the road, I meant into the ditch. Sleet was the best lead dog I've ever seen in her prime. Paxil is very close--Sleet trained Paxil.

Tehya, Mac and Anvik are learning to lead. Anvik has the directional commands down pat about 75% of the time and he does a lovely "on-by"...that one is hard to teach.

Not all dogs can lead. Even some super smart dogs who could pick the commands with ease can't lead. There's a lot of psychological pressure on a lead dog. Not every dog can handle that.

There's no much just standing behind them involved though. I get a pretty good workout too!

cassiesmom
02-15-2008, 03:21 PM
I want to come to your house and go sledding (I've NEVER sledded on any type of sled:eek: )

Thanks for sharing your fun times!
Me, too, but not on your dog sled -- I'd rather watch from the side lines on that. I'll pet the dogs and have cocoa ready when you all come back. But if you have a snowy hill, I have a beat-up old sled that probably has a few trips left in it.

Ginger's Mom
02-15-2008, 08:58 PM
There's no much just standing behind them involved though. I get a pretty good workout too!
Hehe, not exactly what I meant. When I said "sit back" I wasn't really referring to a lack of activity on your part, but more a lack of control. I am just thinking that there is probably not much you can do if seven dogs decide to haw when you say gee. They are just exceptional dogs with an exceptional trainer. :)

Glacier
02-16-2008, 12:38 AM
I am just thinking that there is probably not much you can do if seven dogs decide to haw when you say gee.

Sometimes there is. If I can I'll stop the sled and give the command again. If there are only two choices, they figure out pretty quickly to try the other one. It's when there are 15 skidoo tracks that things get confused! If I can securely set the snowhooks I can get off and guide the leaders in the right direction. That's rarely neccessary unless one of the youngsters is up there, especially a little black and white mutt who shall remain nameless! :p

Sometimes, I don't really care if they want to go the other way. I rarely have a destination in mind! Pingo in particular likes to pick her own trail occasionally. She has a command for it even..."Pingo Pick". We got wherever she wants on those days!

cassiesmom
02-25-2008, 04:24 PM
Woooooo, precious Tehya ... how are you and all your cat- and dog-family? Is your dad still home with all of you?

Your fan,
Elyse

Glacier
02-25-2008, 06:53 PM
Woooooo, precious Tehya ... how are you and all your cat- and dog-family? Is your dad still home with all of you?

Your fan,
Elyse

Wooooo Ms. Elyse

We are all doing ok. Mom took us running for the first time since all that trouble started.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Sled%20dogs/2007/backon.jpg
She was very nervous so just a few of us went, but we didnt' have any troubles or commotion so maybe we will get to go more soon. Mom has to go back to work tomorrow, but she says we are gonna start running in the dark more!

Nope, our daddy is gone. He had to go back to work too. He won't be home again til the end of March. He built us a cool new gate before he left though. He even painted it purple cuz that's Mom's favorite color!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Tehya

finn's mom
02-25-2008, 10:28 PM
Gorgeous photos, that never ceases to amaze that that land is your home! I love the photo of Hobo. :)

RobiLee
02-26-2008, 07:22 AM
Love hearing about your adventures, Tehya. Wow,what gorgeous scenery. I would love to go sledding with you.

Anna what do you mean you have never been on a sled of any kind? Do also mean you never went snow sledding as a little girl?

4 Dog Mother
02-27-2008, 07:13 PM
I don't reply to a lot of your posts Glacier BUT I always look at them and am amazed at where you live, how you live, the scenery everything about it. It is so amazing that you live like that. It is so different than anything I have ever experienced. If I loved cold weather and snow - you know like I did when I was a kid and thought tobaggoning and sledding and ice skating was FUN and NOT COLD - then I would think you lived the ideal life. Dog sledding - that would be like a dream to do. But now that I am OLD and don't like cold or snow, I will live through your pictures and enjoy what you do through them. That picture that others have copied, I can just feel the thrill of going up those hills with the dogs and back down again - the crisp snow, the beautiful trees, the peacefullness of it all --- and then reality sets in and the whole idea scares the heck out of me. You are doing all of us a great favor by sharing your world with us.

And by the way, I have a dog that wants to join your team. Is there any hope for him? Any space on the team? He might be a bit smaller than the rest of the team...

I have never seen a small dog like him love the snow the way he does - he never wants to come in.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b8dc07b3127cceb5cd9166f65500000026108JZOGrlm18

dukedogsmom
02-27-2008, 07:46 PM
What fun you had! And such a beautiful area. You are so lucky to be able to have the experiences you do. And your pics reminded me of this cartoon. This used to be a good site many, many years ago. Now it's mainly a bunch of popups. Wish I had saved more of the cartoons.
http://www.boomspeed.com/dukedogsmom/sleddog.gif

Glacier
02-28-2008, 01:22 PM
And by the way, I have a dog that wants to join your team. Is there any hope for him? Any space on the team? He might be a bit smaller than the rest of the team...

Cute pic! He looks like he has to tunnel through the snow!

The huskies arent' real good with little dogs, but I bet he could ride in the sled and bark out some commands! :D

PS from Tehya:

Mom took a team out in the dark last night and she didn't take me! Boo Hiss! Mean Mom!