PDA

View Full Version : "Pet Sharing" ... what are your thoughts?

kimlovescats
02-14-2008, 11:25 AM
I think the Rent-a-pet things are ridiculous and solely for personal monetary gain, but the idea of a few separate owners sharing a pet might not be so bad. It would depend on the entire circumstance. If it provided 2 or more loving homes where the dog (pet) got constant attention and pampering, I can't find anything wrong with it. I think dogs would be much more adaptable to this than a cat or other critter would be though.

Thoughts?

beeniesmom
02-14-2008, 11:29 AM
I saw this on the news and I do think it's a little strange.

It might be good for a person who isn't sure of the breed of dog they should get or for the person who recently lost a pet and wants a snuggle once in a while but no emotional committment.

pitc9
02-14-2008, 11:32 AM
When I first moved out of my parent's house I took my RB Toby with me.
I didn't think she'd like being home alone all day while I was at work all week long. So I'd take her to my parent's for a few days, and then bring her back home with me for a few days...etc.
After about a month of this back and forth, house to house, she changed.
She started snapping at people and just wasn't herself. :(
I made the decision to permanently move her back to my parent's house where she thrived and lived to a ripe old age until I sent her to the bridge this past June.

After that experience... I'd had to say no, I don't think that would be a good idea.
But I'm sure there might be some laid back dogs out there that wouldn't mind the constant change of scenery but I know I'll never do that to a dog again.

Ginger's Mom
02-14-2008, 11:40 AM
I think it would be too confusing for the animal. Would the rules and schedule be the same at both homes? Why would you want to share your pet with someone else? I don't think the idea works in divorce situations where both people are attached to the dog, why would it work where there was no joint living. No, I don't think I like the idea.

If someone wants to snuggle once in a while with no emotional commitment they can foster. It is not something that you have to do everytime you are called, you can decide whether it is right for you at that particular time. I would say that they could volunteer at a shelter, but I don't really know if the shelters need people to snuggle with the animals I think they need people who will walk, clean up after and train the animals.

Ooh, I just saw your post, Angie. It is good to hear from someone who has been in that situation.

kuhio98
02-14-2008, 12:02 PM
I guess I'd be all for it IF the pet got to stay in his/her house and the hoomans moved back and forth.

I don't think it's fair at all for the pets to be shuffled around.
I have a friend in Fairbanks, Alaska who shares a dog with neighbors. But, it was the dog that instigated it. Her daughters are bestest friends with the 2 girls who live behind them. The dog would go over there to play and wouldn't want to come home. So, after must discussion, they put a doggie door in the back fence they share. Max (Bernese Mountain Dog) goes back and forth and decides where he wants to sleep that night. All 4 little girls are thrilled. Max is happy and so are his hoomans.

So far it's working out, but in the back of my mind, I could see them ending up as a Jerry Springer episode if they ever have a falling out.

Taz_Zoee
02-14-2008, 03:15 PM
I have a friend in Fairbanks, Alaska who shares a dog with neighbors. But, it was the dog that instigated it. Her daughters are bestest friends with the 2 girls who live behind them. The dog would go over there to play and wouldn't want to come home. So, after must discussion, they put a doggie door in the back fence they share. Max (Bernese Mountain Dog) goes back and forth and decides where he wants to sleep that night. All 4 little girls are thrilled. Max is happy and so are his hoomans.

So far it's working out, but in the back of my mind, I could see them ending up as a Jerry Springer episode if they ever have a falling out.
Not to mention, who pays for food and vet bills? And what happens if someone moves, who gets the dog? I would hope the original owner.

I think every situation would have it's own uniqueness and it would completely depend on the situation. I would never do it because I just wouldn't want to share my dog. I can tend to be selfish. :)

Twisterdog
02-14-2008, 04:13 PM
I think it has the potential to become very ugly, very quickly. It's similar to custody battles over children in a divorce. Not good for people or pets.

However, I think sometimes within a family, it works out well. My dad didn't want a dog, he thought he was "too old" to handle one full-time again. But he loved dogs, and missed having one. I took our newest dog, Karma, to his house every weekend so he could "dog-sit" the "grand-dog". He loved it, she loved it.

moosmom
02-14-2008, 04:47 PM
Cats do NOT like change. Nuff said.

kimlovescats
02-14-2008, 05:26 PM
Cats do NOT like change. Nuff said.

That's why I said what I did about dogs probably being more able to adjust. Most cats would NOT!!!

I can definitely see it becoming as bad as joint custody with kids. I just think in some extreme circumstance, like a dog on death row who no one wants to commit to full-time, it would be a fate better than death!

It does seem like it's a new-age attempt to keep people from having to be committed or fully responsible for anything though, doesn't it?

kt_luvs_kitties
02-14-2008, 11:07 PM
Would this pet be from a shelter, and maybe saved from being put to sleep?

Or a bought dog or cat, that otherwise could have just one owner?

kimlovescats
02-15-2008, 09:51 PM
Would this pet be from a shelter, and maybe saved from being put to sleep?

Or a bought dog or cat, that otherwise could have just one owner?

Katie, it's not something I am considering. It's just something I've heard about recently and wondered what everyone thought about it. I think it would certainly make more sense for it to be an option as a last chance to save a shelter pet.