PDA

View Full Version : Did you celebrate Valentines Day.....

carole
02-13-2008, 07:57 PM
Now i realise it is not valentines day in the USA or Britain etc yet, but it is here today, just wondering after it has been and gone, how did you celebrate? and what if anything did you get?.

I got what i get every year a big fat zero lol, hubby is not very aware of valentines day, i have given up, so we don't celebrate it anymore,no more let down's for me,just expecting nothing is the best way for me to be,no disappointments then,however i would still love to hear from those who do celebrate it, and do maybe have romantic partners. :)

Sirrahsim
02-13-2008, 08:09 PM
We do but we don't make a huge deal of it. I got my husband a travel mug with a picture of our boys on it and I know that he has ordered me some flowers. :)

Taz_Zoee
02-13-2008, 08:10 PM
Yes, Valentines Day is tomorrow and my boyfriend had told me we would have to wait and celebrate on Friday because he does volunteer work on Thursdays. So I was fine with that, or even not doing anything.
Well, I just came home tonight and he has the table set with flowers, candles, chocolate and a yummy dessert and he's fixing me dinner. :D
So it was a complete surprise, which he NEVER does. Very nice! :) I think I'll keep him. hee hee

carole
02-13-2008, 08:14 PM
Aww that is ever so romantic and sweet of him,lucky you,he sure sounds like a keeper lol. :) :D

chocolatepuppy
02-13-2008, 08:21 PM
Well, let's put it this way, I just asked hubby a few minutes ago what he got me for Valentines Day and he said "when is it?" :rolleyes: I told him tomorrow and never mind I have a package coming later this week. ;) We don't usually make a big deal of it.

carole
02-13-2008, 08:29 PM
Yes i have found it best not to make a big deal of it, i just end up feeling let down, so now i forget about it,mind you a little part of me just wishes he might suprise me with a chocolate rose or something little like that, i have hinted enough, but it does not register it would seem, lol, never mind i still enjoy hearing about other's experience's. :)

It is still relatively new in NZ, maybe five or so years,a bit more, but it was not celebrated here when i was young.,so i have never had the roses, chocolates,that sort of thing, heart balloons, soft toys or whatever, mind you i have had choccy's from boyfriends before for other occasions, but not valentines. :)

Edwina's Secretary
02-13-2008, 08:49 PM
I am so glad you reminded me! I have my husband's gift under my desk. Need to sign the card and get it ready!

Cookiebaker
02-13-2008, 08:54 PM
yes, we celebrate it, which is a huge change from our early years. I used to always get Mark the card and chocolates....but now he is way bigger on it than I am. He has been tantalizing me for a week about my gift, and wants to give it to me first thing in the morning. I told him that we had to wait 'cause I didn't have anything for him yet....and I still don't know what to get him. :p

buckner
02-13-2008, 11:16 PM
My boyfriend and I are definitely celebrating this year, but due to short funds, we're putting it off two weeks. He's already got me something (or two somethings...) but I haven't picked anything out for him. There's a wide variety of things I could get him, none which are romantic, lol. Clinique Happy for Men, this blade sharpener for his razor, a DVD set called Sliders, a new cell phone, this really cool light switch that turns on a light without having to get up, and some other things. lol, none are romantic at all but definitely what he wants. I'll decide later as to what to get him.

He's such a girl in the aspect that he loves letters. Seriously. I have written him silly notes before, and he still has them to this day. He keeps all things to put in a photo album or to just hold on to until I make a scrapbook - movie ticket stubs, concert tickets, amusement park tickets, etc.. all kinds of stuff. So, I'm writing him a letter/poem to give him.

We may going skiing in 2 weeks to celebrate instead of something fancy. We like getting dolled up and going somewhere fancy, but we adore skiing. LOL

But really, it's all up in the air right now.. his gift depends on how much I can afford - I went ABSURD this past Christmas spending $400-$500, and now I'm short on cash.. hehe. And what we decide to do depends on how much he has.

Happy Valentine's Day to everyone!!!! <3

karyn674
02-13-2008, 11:40 PM
Well me and hubby celebrate Valentine`s too, nothing so out of the ordinary but I cook something nice, yesterday we exchanged cards..........and this is where I really messed up!!

Last year we managed to buy the same card to each other. I gave it to him first and so he hated the idea to give me his, since it was identical and went to buy a new one. This year I still remembered that I had that card in the drawer and did not bother to buy a new one........and he remembered! He told me smiling I did not give this to you because I did not want to feel as embarresed as you are right now!!!!!:o

So I have to make it all up in cookig tonight!!!!

Happy Valentine's to everyone x x x x x x

Glacier
02-14-2008, 12:22 AM
Not a thing. Stuart got me flowers last year, first and only time in the decade we've been together he's done anything for V-day. I still think he was up to something I never found out about! ;) Course, he also doesn't do birthday, anniversary or Christmas gifts! He's doing well if he remembers the right day for my birthday! He often thinks it's a day early!

My Mother told me when I got married to pick my battles carefully...I gave this one up entirely. Now if I really want to say he bought me a present, I just pick out what I want and charge it to his Visa! Works out for both of us--I get what I want, he doesn't have to shop!

Rachel
02-14-2008, 06:41 AM
My husband always picks out the most endearing cards. He takes a long time selecting them. Sometimes I get chocolates or flowers too.

This is from the card that I found on my computer this morning.

Being married to you
has been the finest thing
that's ever happened to me.
You have been my partner, my lover,
and my very best friend.
Knowing I have your love
lets me face life's troubles,
secure in the knowledge that
there is a special person
who thinks about me,
supports me,
and cares for me more deeply
than anyone else...

I'm thankful
to be able to share
my life with you!
I love you.
I'll always love you.
Happy Valentine's Day

Pawsitive Thinking
02-14-2008, 08:26 AM
Hubby and I got each other cards without the "are we going to bother this year" conversation :D Who said romance is dead?

Cataholic
02-14-2008, 08:42 AM
<wipes tears away after reading Rachel's post>

We do something, and always have, in our family. On Monday, Grammy and Jonah showed up at my work with a HUGE heart shaped balloon, and little chocolates. Jonah ate one of them, and said, "we can share, mommy". LOL, when I want to share, where is that attitude?

Jonah sent V-day cards to some people, and has a little somthing for his Grammy. I have 4 books and a candy treat for him tonight. They did Valentine Cards and a party at school today, too.

sparks19
02-14-2008, 08:48 AM
We aren't really doing anything. Just spending the night at home with our little hannah banana.

Hubby did get me a mani/pedi package from a spa here. I wasn't expecting anything like that. He says I deserve a night of pampering :D

LOL but rest assured... hannah has gotten gifts and cards from just about everyone for Valentines day.

AdoreMyDogs
02-14-2008, 08:50 AM
Hubby and I celebrated a day early this year and went to the Lipizzaner Stallion show last night. That was our Valentine's Day gift to each other.

Pawsitive Thinking
02-14-2008, 08:59 AM
Hubby did get me a mani/pedi package from a spa here. I wasn't expecting anything like that. He says I deserve a night of pampering

What a thoughtful hubby!

beeniesmom
02-14-2008, 09:03 AM
Well, I wanted to have a special day but it's been a disaster so far.
I got throwed up on by Frankie, just as hubby was bringing me coffee....
We'll see tonight when everyone is home.
I am planning a special dinner (risotto with shrimp and scallops, steamed broccoli and heartshaped brownie bites with pecans)...
I got him chocolates too (his favorite kind) ....
I know he didn't get me anything... he's not very romantic... :(
I wonder how long I will put up with that. :confused:

Pawsitive Thinking
02-14-2008, 09:10 AM
Well, I wanted to have a special day but it's been a disaster so far.
I got throwed up on by Frankie, just as hubby was bringing me coffee....
We'll see tonight when everyone is home.
I am planning a special dinner (risotto with shrimp and scallops, steamed broccoli and heartshaped brownie bites with pecans)...
I got him chocolates too (his favorite kind) ....
I know he didn't get me anything... he's not very romantic... :(
I wonder how long I will put up with that. :confused:

:rolleyes: We love you!
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a396/Denise40_0/roses.jpg

anna_66
02-14-2008, 09:22 AM
We don't normally do anything.
I usually work all day (big $$$ as a waitress/server)
Although I did get him a big 1/2 pound choclate bar and he shared it with me:)

jackie
02-14-2008, 09:34 AM
Nada, but I am single, but I am going to see a the drag queen elections for carnival tonight with some friends. Nothing says romance like men is dresses.

One of my friends was agonizing yesterday what to get her boyfriend, a new cellphone or a portable DVD player, I was like WTH? ifs like a month after Xmas and you are both in debt. I don't understand why some people go so far for these holidays. What happened to a hug and a kiss and cooking a special dinner. Didn't realize Valentines was a day to grab 200 dollar + gifts. :rolleyes:

Edwina's Secretary
02-14-2008, 10:33 AM
Finally got my Valentine's Day present out of the box and it is charging...

My very own, handheld...Garmin navigator! And it is pink for Valentine's!

I am so excited!!!! :D :D :D

Pembroke_Corgi
02-14-2008, 10:48 AM
Yes, I always get something for the kids in my family- my 6 year-old nephew and my cousin's daughters who are now 10 and 8. Usually a card, a little present and some candy of course. :)

My husband and I celebrate it sometimes if we feel like it. This year he got me a really nice gift (I always get my gifts early for everything!), I got a North Face sleeping bag that's supposed to be good for down to 20 degrees (we love to go camping but I always get cold). I can't wait until I get to use it!

I didn't get him anything yet, but I have had a hectic week and now I am sick- I was actually a little grumpy this morning because I felt so awful. I think I should at least get a card or something if I can rally myself out of the house besides going to work.

Sonia59
02-14-2008, 11:14 AM
Not really, I got flowers and I cooked a nice dinner for tonight. We will spend the evening with our little girl Valentine! It's her day today :)

carole
02-14-2008, 12:41 PM
Ok well is my face red, guess what hubby suprised me and came home with this lovely bunch of flowers, i am in total shock, two years in a row i have got him a card and novelty chocolates, and i got the usual nothing, so you see it is best to expect nothing and look what happens, i must say i was pleasantly suprised, he does have a romantic side left in him after 16 yrs, he he.

I really enjoyed reading everyone's post's, here in NZ it is only celebrated by husband's and wife's, girlfriend and boyfriend, and partners, i found it unusual to read families do it in the states and children, how nice. :)

Edwina's Secretary
02-14-2008, 01:12 PM
i found it unusual to read families do it in the states and children, how nice. :)

With fondness, I remember my mother would always give us a gift on Valentine's Day...it was either pink or red...a blouse or the like...

Glacier
02-14-2008, 02:42 PM
I really enjoyed reading everyone's post's, here in NZ it is only celebrated by husband's and wife's, girlfriend and boyfriend, and partners, i found it unusual to read families do it in the states and children, how nice. :)

I did send presents to my nieces--stuffed monkey toys with hearts on them. My Mom sent me a new pair of jammies for V-day. You can never have too many pairs of jammies!

ramanth
02-14-2008, 05:35 PM
Typically we don't do anything, but this year Andy got me a necklace and took me out for Sushi last night. He knows how much I love it though he won't eat it himself. :D

binka_nugget
02-14-2008, 06:15 PM
Alan left the planning to me.. or as he put it "You make the reservation. I'll pay." :p Anyways, I took it upon myself to make a reservation two weeks ago for a really nice fresh seafood restaurant in the Port of Vancouver. It's supposed to have a fabulous view (and expensive menu :eek: shhh).

I told him no gifts but he says he has a small surprise. I'm getting him a pedicure on Saturday (he loves getting pampered but won't admit it). It's partly a Valentine's gift, and partly an "I"m sorry Keeva ate your shoes" gift. :p

Medusa
02-14-2008, 06:26 PM
A loaf of bread, a jug o' wine, I don't need no Valentine.

buckner
02-14-2008, 06:52 PM
It's partly a Valentine's gift, and partly an "I"m sorry Keeva ate your shoes" gift. :p
I'm sorry, but that almost had me in tears... HAHAHAHAHA

Alysser
02-14-2008, 07:41 PM
Well I don't know if you'd call it celebrating..

But I'm in the FFA/Animal and Batonical Sciences program at school so of course my class had to do something with flowers. This year we sold roses, bouquets, etc that people could get delivered to their friends. I was selling them during lunch two days in a row and I bought one for a friend who bought one for me. Not to mention by helping the sales I got a few points for the academy.

Tonight me and 8 other people went to Applebee's togather. It was really fun and interesting. It was nice to see my friends I haven't seen in a long time. Of course, it took an hour to get a table for a party of 9 but it was really fun and worth it. :)

I was a little sad because I was expecting a big surprise from my parents. *cough* Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Puppy *cough* I have been hinting to them I've wanted one for the longest time. I've been researching them for about a year now ever since my parents interest was sparked by one we met. Everytime we see one, they say "those are the most gorgeous dogs! they have such cute face." I've always found them quite adorable and I've been sending breeders and adoptable dogs. No luck yet. Hopefully one day. :(

slick
02-14-2008, 07:54 PM
A loaf of bread, a jug o' wine, I don't need no Valentine. I'm with you Mary. :D Valentine's Day is too commercialized for me and I boycott it at every chance. They had a Valentine's Day lunch at work but I stayed at my desk and ate my salad. Can't be bothered. Being alone on V Day is no biggie to me. However I was very pleased to get an e-card this morning that really made my day.:)

cyber-sibes
02-14-2008, 09:14 PM
Hubby & I just asked each other "Will you be my Valentine?" No big plans, but I ordered us some sushi for take-out. Then my sweet hubby came home tonight & surprised me with a beautiful bouquet of flowers! Blue-violet and deep magenta-purple mums with coral pink carnations - stunning! :D

Karen
02-14-2008, 09:19 PM
I wore my fuzzy white socks that have red hearts all over them ...

CountryWolf07
02-14-2008, 10:22 PM
I drove home today from Ohio State, and Mike came over after work, and we went out to eat at a small Italian family-owned restaurant, and we had coffee at Starbucks..

Nothing too special and it was our second Valentine's Day together. We laughed and flirted a lot. :)

He and I will spend the rest of the weekend together... so I'm looking forward to it.

Elf Shadow
02-15-2008, 12:27 AM
i've never really thought much about V-Day.mostly b/c i've never had a real boyfriend.

wolf_Q
02-15-2008, 12:30 AM
I celebrated "Singles Awareness Day" by going out to dinner with my parents. ;)

I did get a couple of gifts for Valentines day...from my grooming customers lol. Hey, its something at least. :)

DJFyrewolf36
02-15-2008, 12:41 AM
I spent the day cuddling with my hubby and had a decient dinner to boot. Omlets, yumm! My parents sent me something too which was awfully nice.
I may end up going to wal-mart and getting some sale candy tomorow lol.

Uabassoon
02-15-2008, 10:09 AM
Alexa and I take turns as to who gets to handle Valentines Day so then the other one takes care of the Anniversary celebration. This year was my turn for Valentines Day so I made a fantastic dinner of filet mignon and for desert we had creme burlee. Then afterwards we met up with some of our friends and had a couple drinks.

petslover
02-15-2008, 12:29 PM
Valentines Day was nice this year here.

My family and I usually give each other gifts. I gave my baby brother a new toy and my parents some chocolate and took out to eat last weekend.

My parents got me a gift basket with a the Snow Buddies movie, a cute stuff animal, and candy. :)

I did get a gift from one of my college friends. It was a gift basket with cute socks and lots of chocolate in it. I thought that was really sweet.

My big thing I did was go out with a few friends to see Kelly Clarkson/Reba Mcentire concert. We had a BLAST!!!

I also got the pups Valentine Day toys that I'm going to give them today. I don't think they mind being a day late lol..

davidpizzica
02-16-2008, 06:47 PM
I don't celebrate Valentine's day either, but one thing made it a little special for me this year. I called Moosmom and had a good conversation. I love that young lady!