PDA

View Full Version : What breeds do you not like?

buttercup132
02-13-2008, 07:15 PM
I know alot of people love every dog but there are alot who dont like alot of breeds too.
If this thread ends up getting too heated I will delete it.

For me I dont like

Goldens-Too over bred, it made them wacked. I like a well bred Golden.
Westies-Not a terrier fan (except Pit Bulls)
Maltese-Too over bred
Shihtzu-Too over bred
Little disigner breed-self explanitory..

Taz_Zoee
02-13-2008, 07:58 PM
There is not a breed I don't like. There may be some I wouldn't want to own, but none that I don't like. I have a feeling this will be the main answer you will get. And don't be surprised if this thread does get heated.

Sirrahsim
02-13-2008, 08:07 PM
There is not a breed I don't like. There may be some I wouldn't want to own, but none that I don't like. I have a feeling this will be the main answer you will get. And don't be surprised if this thread does get heated.
^ I agree completely

Freedom
02-13-2008, 09:40 PM
I do NOT like the dog in front of me when I am at a rescue / shelter.

At least, I keep TELLING myself that, so I can get out of there without bringing another one home! :D :rolleyes:

Not liking a breed, and not being able to own that breed are different. There are quite a few breeds I can't own, just don't have the yard, life style, whatever. I can't think of a breed I do not LIKE, however. :)

3muttsandaboston
02-13-2008, 09:46 PM
There are individual dogs of these breeds that I have met and liked but overall I do not like:
Pugs- imo they are the ugliest creatures on the planet (I even think my boston terrier is ugly but she is a very sweet dog) They also have so many health problems with their eyes and breathing.
Bulldogs- same thing
German shepherds - well the show type with lots of angulation in their back legs it looks horrific and unnatural to me when their hind end is almost touching the ground.
Really any small fluffy dog...I really hate the hair and upkeep but some I have met are sweet...
This may seem very strange since I have 2 mixes of this but I do not like Labrador retrievers they are just so overbred

luvofallhorses
02-13-2008, 10:00 PM
you don't like goldens? I love them! there isn't a certain breed I don't like or really care for - to me I don't judge by breed just by personality. :) so I love them ALL! :D

buttercup132
02-13-2008, 10:12 PM
you don't like goldens? I like the well trained well bred ones.
Working with them so much and seeing so many crazy terribly bred ones have made me dis like them alot.

wolf_Q
02-13-2008, 10:16 PM
There are a lot breeds that I personally would never have, for various reasons. Actually there's very few breeds that I feel are right for me. However I wouldn't say there's any breed that I do not LIKE. I don't feel like its right to lump an entire breed of dog into one catagory because they vary so much. As a groomer I can tell you there's certain breeds of dogs that are often difficult/nippy, but there's also some of the same breed that are sweet and gentle. I could definitely name dog breeds that I would not get as a companion for myself, but I'm not going to name any that I do not like. :)

bckrazy
02-13-2008, 10:18 PM
I have to admit, I'm not a big fan of Shar Peis. I think their "hippo heads" aren't very appealling. I don't like the fleshiness of their faces, it just grosses me out. Not to mention, I have never met a Shar Pei who was even remotely friendly... not even a PASSIVE one. I do think they are adorable as puppies, though! C:

I could name tons of breeds that I dislike... but only the poorly-bred ones. I have met more aggressive and/or rude Labs than any other breed. It is rare to ever meet a polite Lab, and I dislike the complete lack of control that most Lab owners have over their dogs. However, it's always ok, because they might go racing around flinging their body at people/other dogs, and completely ignoring their screaming owner... but they're friendly Labs... so it doesn't matter! Right? No. The well-bred and well-trained Labs I have met were great! I feel so bad for where this breed is going due to popularity, and I feel bad for the people that truly love them, but I definitely don't dislike the breed.

So, in general, I don't dislike any breed. I do dislike what people have done to some breeds, though.

crazyboutanimals
02-13-2008, 10:21 PM
i would have to say these are my least fave breeds:

any "toy" breed: you know the ones that you can put in a purse to take anywhere?? how mean is that??

anything with the word "doodle" in it kinda strikes me as odd too ???

poodles: to fluffy and girlie for me :p

i guess i am more of the get down and dirty kind of breeds like Labs, goldens, German shepherds,collies.. kinda girl. the ones that really love to ruff house and play hard kinda thing, but, can also be a couch/lap kinda dog ( LMAO Thunder thinks he is a LAP dog, i keep telling him he is a LAB dog LMAO :D

but, hey that is just me and that is OK. i'm not one to get a dog based on what makes ME look good, i base it on what makes me look TOUGH ***GRRRR** :D

K9karen
02-13-2008, 11:27 PM
I love all dogs, but some breeds are not right for me.

It's some owners I really don't like.

Suki Wingy
02-13-2008, 11:58 PM
There are a few breeds I wouldn't take unless the dog was in need of a home/ a desperate situation. I've met many bichon frise- ew. Please don't be offended, anyone who likes or owns one. I PERSONALLY think they are hideous and their personality does not suit me one bit. Remember, this is coming from a person who thinks neapolitan mastiffs are cute, so please don't hate me.

I also have a tendency to gravitate away from retriever breeds. The very fact that they are so popular is probably why. Plus, I just don't like the way they seem to love any human being they meet. My friend's chessie is great to be around for a while but I don't think I'd ever go out looking for one.

Pawsitive Thinking
02-14-2008, 03:48 AM
I love them all :D

Pam
02-14-2008, 06:10 AM

Exactly Karen! ;)

robinh
02-14-2008, 06:31 AM
I don't think there is any breed I don't like. There are a lot of breeds that I don't know a lot about. When I meet someone with one of those I'm unfamiliar with, I always ask lots of questions.

I'll also agree with K9Karen:

I'm a small dog person. Have a yorkie, wouldn't take a million to have another but wouldn't trade this one for a million. My bichon is a clown, he makes me laugh and loves me unconditionally. My GSD mix is an absolute sweetheart - the most trusting, loyal dog I've ever had. But, my favorite dog is a dachshund. If I ever get another dog, it'll definitely be a doxie!

Lori Jordan
02-14-2008, 07:01 AM
Im on the same page as the last few post.

I don't hate any breed,But there is some type's of dogs that are not ment for me to own.

Buttercup i'm with you on the goldens,I dont hate them,In my area i bet you every second house owns one,And there is a few that dont look right,.I have seen some beautiful goldens,Just around here they look so rough!

I have 3 different breeds,I love everyone of them,But in there time of passing i would never own the same breed again,They all fufill my needs,But i would never be able to replace them.

The one thing that bothers me the most,I love rotti's always have,I see alot around here,they seem to be overbread also and in most cases vicious(not all but a few)My rotti was the most gentlest man around,Never seen him pulling at the lead trying to get something,He reminded me of eeyore on Winnie the Pooh..lol

critter crazy
02-14-2008, 07:04 AM
I Love all Breeds. There isnt a single one out there that I wouldnt own. but there are some, that I just cannot own, due to my Lifestyle.

pitc9
02-14-2008, 07:17 AM
"Designer Breeds" - But it's not the dog itself that I don't like, it's the ignorant people that buy them and the heartless & money hungry people that breed them that I don't like.

loveallfurryfriends
02-14-2008, 07:39 AM
My thought is that there are some breeds that I don't think suit me. I have had different breeds (mixes) over the years, and I guess it's always about the individual dog. Smokey is a poodle/maltese mix, and I don't think either of those 2 breeds are my favorite-----but I wouldn't trade him for the world.

buttercup132
02-14-2008, 07:42 AM
any "toy" breed: you know the ones that you can put in a purse to take anywhere?? how mean is that??
Not very, how is it mean?
Most dogs want more then nothing but to be with their owners I think if they actually got that chance they would love it. I used to bring my bunnies out all the time shopping and they loved it. I did it with my kitten too.

Cookiebaker
02-14-2008, 08:20 AM
i think its all in the owner!! For example, i have met a pitbull named Charlie who was completely tame and trained under his owner...the nicest dog and I could love on him all day! On the other hand, when Lydia was 3 months old, we encountered a pitbull that was NOT tame or trained, and the owner had very little control of him. He had very red angry eyes, and he kept lunging at me & Lydia, and I was *terrified* and did not trust him at all. So its not fair to say that I don't like the breed....it IS fair to say that I like the owner/training. I also know that there are some breeds that are just not right for me or my lifestyle.

cali
02-14-2008, 08:45 AM
there are plenty of breeds I dont care for mainly based on their appearence...

Borzoi-I dont understand the "regal" thing, they just look weird. I did however meet one that was a total sweety.

Pug's and Pekeingnese-well any smashed faced breed really, drives me nutty to look at.

Bull Terriers-sorry but I really dont understand the appeal of an egg shaped head

Labs-too common, I HAVE met a few that I really like though

Goldens-have yet to meet one that wasnt completly loco.

Sparklecoon
02-14-2008, 10:06 AM
Poodles and Chihauhaus, though I've seen some adorable chis ::Cough cough:: Chopper ::cough cough:: Joey ::Cough::. Most Chi's I've met seem to be very 'one-person' kind of dogs. And as for poodles, of which i've never met a mean one, their look just isn't what i'm into.

cloverfdx
02-14-2008, 10:17 AM
Labradors (and most retrievers except Flat coats and Tollers)
Small fluffy dogs
Bull Terriers - i dont dislike them but would never own one
Boxers

caseysmom
02-14-2008, 10:57 AM
I never thought I was a small dog person before bubba, I got him for my daughter. Now I totally love him and he is the sweetest little guy, don't knock it till you try it, he is a fluffly little foo foo dog :D

I am really obsessed with standard poodles but the grooming thing scares me, not sure if I will ever get another dog that needs to be groomed, it is such a pain.

crazyboutanimals
02-14-2008, 11:09 AM
Not very, how is it mean?
Most dogs want more then nothing but to be with their owners I think if they actually got that chance they would love it. I used to bring my bunnies out all the time shopping and they loved it. I did it with my kitten too.

LOL i am talking about the ones who carry them in little tiny purses, dress them up and take them EVERYWHERE.. they try to make them more of an accessory then a pet. in your case i see no problem, in fact here in Bountiful we see pets being taken into stores that should not have them in there, however, the owners of the stores are very cool about it. :D

lizbud
02-14-2008, 11:29 AM
There is not a breed I don't like. There may be some I wouldn't want to own, but none that I don't like.

Same here. A dog is a dog, no matter the breed. Well trained dogs are
a joy to be around. :)

Sevaede
02-14-2008, 11:41 AM
LOL i am talking about the ones who carry them in little tiny purses, dress them up and take them EVERYWHERE.. they try to make them more of an accessory then a pet. in your case i see no problem, in fact here in Bountiful we see pets being taken into stores that should not have them in there, however, the owners of the stores are very cool about it. :D

Or maybe they genuinely love their pets? =/ I have a friend who takes her dog everywhere (although, not in a purse. he is too heavy for that, despite being a small dog) that she can. She has lots of free time. She buys lots of clothes, keeps him on a raw diet, toys, accessories, etc... She does it all out of love.

beeniesmom
02-14-2008, 12:02 PM
I don't think I've ever met a dog that I didn't like!
I've met people I can't say the same thing about! hehehe

buttercup132
02-14-2008, 12:40 PM
There are exceptions to every breed I listed, I just have no tolerence for nippy,un trained, rambuncsious dogs.

LOL i am talking about the ones who carry them in little tiny purses, dress them up and take them EVERYWHERE.. they try to make them more of an accessory then a pet. in your case i see no problem, in fact here in Bountiful we see pets being taken into stores that should not have them in there, however, the owners of the stores are very cool about it. http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/biggrin.gif That's what I did though, my bunnies had clothes and my cats HAVE to have clothes. I took my bunnies everywhere I went.

Or maybe they genuinely love their pets? =/ I have a friend who takes her dog everywhere (although, not in a purse. he is too heavy for that, despite being a small dog) that she can. She has lots of free time. She buys lots of clothes, keeps him on a raw diet, toys, accessories, etc... She does it all out of love. Exactly. I never understood what people have against putting clothes on animals..

Karen
02-14-2008, 01:23 PM
Exactly. I never understood what people have against putting clothes on animals..

I'm not against it in general, but I do know that some animals HATE it! You should have seen the few times we put even a harness on Miss Hoppy, never mind the first year when I made her a SuperBunny cape for Halloween! She HATES anything that touches her fur and musses it up. In harness, she did not hop around at all. She spent all her time trying to rearrange things so her fur didn't get mussed.

There is no breed I dislike, frankly. There are individual dogs who were badly trained or untrained. When I was a child I thought I would never have a poodle, because the lady up the street was a breeder, and her miniature poodles were completely out of control. If you knocked on her door, you could bearely have a conversation because of the dogs barking so loudly, and jumping all over her, and at the door, and over each other. It was chaos. I have since met many poodles, large and small, who were great dogs. Do I like the haircut they give Show Poodles? No! I think it is just silly and a human affectation. It is surely a gross exageration of the original purpose of the cut. Most poodles I have met were either sweet, snuggly dogs, or jocks, or a combination of the two. Nothing at all poofy or prissy or yappy about them!

With every dog, every breed or combination thereof, the right owner and the right training makes all the difference in the world.

Danegirl2208
02-14-2008, 02:18 PM
There isn't a breed I dislike necessarily but there are several I would never own...Goldens and labs, Toy breeds, Poodles, Borzois.. or most any hound for that matter. I have nothing against them, just not my type of dogs.

Exactly. I never understood what people have against putting clothes on animals..
Because they are dogs..;) That is one of my biggest pet peeves actually..seeing an owner carry around a dog in a purse... they have legs why not let them use them? I have no say so in what people choose to do with their dogs though of course..if someone wants to dress their dog up in a pink tutu and carry them around in a Gucci bag..fine..but I don't approve of it..I think its silly really. What really irks me is that these owners seem to think since their dog is in a purse they can go anywhere..there's nothing wrong with wanting your dog with you but there should be limits.. I can't take my 150lb Great Dane into every store and restaurant..that little yappy 2 lb yorkie shouldn't either! :rolleyes: jmo though.

Karen
02-14-2008, 02:25 PM
I can't take my 150lb Great Dane into every store and restaurant..that little yappy 2 lb yorkie shouldn't either! :rolleyes: jmo though.

Yeah, but the Yorkie cannot reach to table-surf like a proper Dane can! ;) Hee hee - not defending those who think just because they are little means they aren't dogs, though.

Danegirl2208
02-14-2008, 02:30 PM
Yeah, but the Yorkie cannot reach to table-surf like a proper Dane can! ;) Hee hee - not defending those who think just because they are little means they aren't dogs, though.
I bet my Dane is a lot more well behaved then that little yappy yorkie though;) Most dogs I see being carried around everywhere have nasty tempers.

buttercup132
02-14-2008, 02:44 PM
I'm not against it in general, but I do know that some animals HATE it! Oh of course, if they don't like it then I wouldn't force them. If you have a dog who is more of a tom boy and just wants to run and get dirty I woulnd't dress them either (well except my cats they have no choice).

I can't take my 150lb Great Dane into every store and restaurant..that little yappy 2 lb yorkie shouldn't either! I agree but it's easier for a little Yorkie to fit in then a Great Dane. They take up alot more room.

That is one of my biggest pet peeves actually..seeing an owner carry around a dog in a purse... they have legs why not let them use them? I agree, I had a purse thing for mine bunnies but they didn't like it so I stopped using it. I don't like seeing people with their dogs in purses for the same reason, they can walk (its a little difficult to make a bunny walk like a dog on a leash).

Karen
02-14-2008, 02:56 PM
I bet my Dane is a lot more well behaved then that little yappy yorkie though;) Most dogs I see being carried around everywhere have nasty tempers.

But that is their owners' fault, not theirs! Maybe they are cranky because they actually HATE the purse! Or, conversely, see the purse as their territory and defend it against anyone who comes near! Both are the owner's fault, though, but some owners of small dogs think "that's so cute!" when the puppy behaves that way that they never train them out of it.

beeniesmom
02-14-2008, 03:06 PM
I dress Beenie in Frankie sometimes...
Not in cute outfits, but in sweaters when it's cold.
They don't protest when I put them on but are happy when we are back home and I take them off.

When I went to Italy in December my mom knitted them two little sweaters.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y291/beeniesmom/th_IMG_6057.jpg (http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y291/beeniesmom/IMG_6057.jpg)

Alysser
02-14-2008, 03:49 PM
I don't hate any breed, but I am honestly not fond of Affenpinschers. I just don't like the way their faces look, but they aren't necessarily ugly. I don't really like Brussel's Griffons face either.

Alysser
02-14-2008, 03:53 PM
But that is their owners' fault, not theirs! Maybe they are cranky because they actually HATE the purse! Or, conversely, see the purse as their territory and defend it against anyone who comes near! Both are the owner's fault, though, but some owners of small dogs think "that's so cute!" when the puppy behaves that way that they never train them out of it.

I agree. ;) I used to take Sassy to our mall and walk her around when she was a puppy. I loved it and she really enjoyed being with us instead of in her crate. I think all well-behaved dogs should be allowed in malls and such but I think the reason is because little dogs have hair and are hypoallergenic. Great danes, labs, etc. shed alot and people who are allergic can't shop well with them. That's what the security guard said when my uncle asked him why he couldn't bring his Greyhound to a local mall that allowed smaller dogs.Also, not all people carrying a dog in a purse thinks of it as an accessory. I saw a a bunch of people at the Super Pet Expo with poodles, chis, etc in purses but I me one lady who said her dog would rather be away from the bigger dogs because she is scared of them.
It bugs me when people refer to smaller dogs being misbehaved and "yappy". Unless you've owned one they aren't like that at all if they are trained properly. It's the same thing as pitbulls, they aren't all mean unless they are trained that way. Sure Sas barks at people who come in the house, but many dogs do, not just small breeds.

Danegirl2208
02-14-2008, 03:54 PM
Oh I know that! I would never blame a dog for such a thing..If I was being carried around all day like a toy i'd be cranky too!

I dress Beenie in Frankie sometimes...
Not in cute outfits, but in sweaters when it's cold.
I don't have a problem with things like that.. If it were cold here my dogs would have sweaters too! lol :)

buttercup132
02-14-2008, 04:02 PM
I think all well-behaved dogs should be allowed in malls and such but I think the reason is because little dogs have hair and are hypoallergenic. Great danes, labs, etc. shed alot and people who are allergic can't shop well with them. Little dogs shed too;) Not all little dogs are hypo allergenic.

Twisterdog
02-14-2008, 04:09 PM
There are some ... well, a LOT, frankly ... breeds I would never own. Not to say I dislike EVERY dog of that breed, but in general, they simply have breed characteristics I do particularly care for.

I used to think I liked ALL breeds of dogs ... until I spent decades working at humane societies and shelters and owning a boarding kennel and grooming shop. The more I learn, the more particular I become. Now I have a short list ... quite short ... of breeds I would own. I'd still rescue or foster dogs of many different breeds, but my future "forever dogs" will be one of about five breeds, period.

Pam
02-14-2008, 07:03 PM
Little dogs shed too;)

Not poodles. :) :cool:

cassiesmom
02-14-2008, 07:22 PM
I'm not totally comfortable with "hybrid" breeding, like a Cockapoo or a Labradoodle. I understand the goal, theoretically. For example, the Labradoodle was bred to develop a helper dog with a coat that would be more manageable for a disabled person. I just wonder what we're getting into genetically. I hope it's for good!

Otherwise, I wouldn't say there is any particular breed I don't like. At this point in my life I couldn't have a large dog because I don't have space. But that is more a practical consideration. The Westminster commentator also made the point that there are some dog breeds that need a lot of their person's time and others that need less. And if you don't give the dog your time when you really should, you're going at it wrong. But it would be up to me to make the right breed choice and then obtain proper training.

I'm with Karen on the haircuts poodles get for show. But do I dislike poodles? Can't say for sure, because I've only known one, and he was old and in poor health the whole time I knew him. I don't like dogs that are mistreated and I don't like dogs that don't get the training they need. Other than that ... I don't know.

Alysser
02-14-2008, 08:10 PM
Little dogs shed too;) Not all little dogs are hypo allergenic.

Well, I never said all of them did, but Maltese's, Chi's, poodles, and other ones don't. That is why these dogs are so popular. They are less work and don't shed and not to mention Hypoallergenic.

Giselle
02-14-2008, 08:10 PM
I'm not totally comfortable with "hybrid" breeding, like a Cockapoo or a Labradoodle. I understand the goal, theoretically.
No problem. They're not actual breeds ;)

If a "Labradoodle" is a breed, then Ivy is a Dobrador, LOL.

wolf_Q
02-14-2008, 08:57 PM
I just have to say, we have a lot of sporting breeds around here, and I've groomed a large number of goldens and labs. I like them, and I like grooming them. I don't know if I'd have either breed as my own pet (maybe a golden), but I'll always say yes to grooming either breed. I've encountered some that were hyper/a bit out of control, labs especially, but most are nice dogs.

If I were to judge my liking of dogs based on how good they were for grooming, huskies would not be on the good list. ;) Mine are good, but huskies in general don't appreciate the whole grooming process.

Personally, I think some of the comments in this thread are hurtful and unnecessary. Really, the whole idea of this thread is in bad taste...

Well, I never said all of them did, but Maltese's, Chi's, poodles, and other ones don't. That is why these dogs are so popular. They are less work and don't shed and not to mention Hypoallergenic.

Actually chihuahuas do shed, both the long-haired and short-haired. Non-shedding breeds are better for people with allergies, but no dog is hypoallergenic. Maltese, poodles, etc. are actually quite a bit of work grooming wise. They need to be groomed regularly. Plus they need training just like a large dog needs.

kallisto4529
02-14-2008, 10:46 PM
There is not any breed that I do not like, there are some that would not be a right fit for me personally, but I truly have never met a dog that I did not immediately fall in love with, just because they are a dog. I think they are all wonderful.

kt_luvs_kitties
02-14-2008, 11:04 PM
I love all animals. BUT their are some that I dont find attractive ;)
There are exceptions to these dogs... Please dont take offense...

Beagles, Dobermans, Jack russels, borzois, and pit bulls are probably my least favorite to look at.
*must add pit puppies are adorable though!*

I have a HUGE list of dogs that probably dont fit my lifestyle though.

AND- I dress up my kitties, and now my puppy. They DO like it. I like it. We are happy. To some it is cruel, to me, it is not. If you look through my past post, you will see, my kitties are not bothered a bit by clothes, wigs, etc.... They seem to enjoy it, and dont run from me when I pull them out. My kitties actually wear clothes in the winter most of the time. I have dressed them since day one. ;) :D If I thought they were uncomfortable or miserable, I probably would not do it so much.

shais_mom
02-14-2008, 11:46 PM
i hate the stupid people that are OVER breeding ALL dogs.
regardless of breed.
I swore I would never have a golden b/c of the overbreeding and I would never pay for a dog.
Keegan was given to me as a gift from the heart.
Looking into her eyes, do I regret my decision.
Never.
She completes me.

and everytime I read - what breeds someone doesn't like it chips away at my heart b/c that means someone doesn't like the love of my life.
There is no difference in saying I don't like black or green people.
Unfortunately I feel If I got on here and say I don't like pits or rotts I would be very much poo-poooed.

Pam
02-15-2008, 05:19 AM
Personally, I think some of the comments in this thread are hurtful and unnecessary. Really, the whole idea of this thread is in bad taste...

Amy that was my first thought when I saw this thread. Someone is going to be hurt. To me it is similar to asking "what religion don't you like?" or "what political party don't you like?" Those are questions that evoke strong feelings. Likewise, someone saying something unkind about a particular breed can only serve to hurt.

chocolatepuppy
02-15-2008, 06:28 AM

My thoughts exactly.

anna_66
02-15-2008, 07:11 AM
I don't take it personally when people say they don't like the breeds I own. To each his/her own.

I can't say I know too many people (honestly I don't know any!) who would or do own a chow. They always say they're mean.
I've had 2 and neither one of them have been mean. Maybe leery of new places, situations and people but never mean. I think they're one of the best breeds ever and would love to always own one:)

And honestly how many people would like to own a big 160lb + drooly mastiff?! None that I know of...lol!
Bon is not the best looking mastiff I've ever seen, but I think he's gorgeous:D Beauty is in the eye of the beholder right;)

And I have to be honest, huskies are definitely not for everyone (and lots of you know that!) They're beautiful dogs, but rotten puppies sometimes even rotten adults...LOL!

Now on to a dog I thought I would NEVER own...this little pom sleeping right beside me.
He is pretty much everything I didn't want. Another long haired dog, yappy, food aggressive, grumpy, growly, snippy, etc...
He really can be nasty sometimes, but it's not his fault. That's just the way he was raised, he doesn't know any better. But there is no way I'd give him up!

And for the purse pups, I'd LOVE to own one that wanted to go everywhere with me in a purse!

Try not to take it personally or let it hurt your feelings. Not every dog is for everyone:)

buttercup132
02-15-2008, 07:24 AM
For example, the Labradoodle was bred to develop a helper dog with a coat that would be more manageable for a disabled person. Actually their coats need more grooming then a Golden or a Lab.

what breeds someone doesn't like it chips away at my heart b/c that means someone doesn't like the love of my life.
I'm sure I would like Keegan just fine, she doesn't seem like a rambucious young Golden with no manners.

Unfortunately I feel If I got on here and say I don't like pits or rotts I would be very much poo-poooed I don't think you would unless you said that it's because of the of what you herd from the media;)

Try not to take it personally or let it hurt your feelings. Not every dog is for everyonehttp://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/smile.gif That's how I figured most would take it...not everyone likes every breed and to take offence to that is just silly.

Alysser
02-15-2008, 07:31 AM
Actually chihuahuas do shed, both the long-haired and short-haired. Non-shedding breeds are better for people with allergies, but no dog is hypoallergenic. Maltese, poodles, etc. are actually quite a bit of work grooming wise. They need to be groomed regularly. Plus they need training just like a large dog needs.

Trust me I know that. ;) I have experience with it. Sassy gets groomed or shaved rather every 4-6 weeks or less. I know they shed but very little. I've never seen shedded hair anywhere on the floor in my house, only in her crate and her bed.

K9soul
02-15-2008, 08:14 AM
I don't take it personally when people say they don't like the breeds I own. To each his/her own.

I agree with you to an extent. It doesn't bother me when someone says "I wouldn't want a golden because I don't want a bigger dog with a coat that takes regular brushing." or "I wouldn't want a lab because I don't want a high energy dog that loves to jump in every mud puddle." :p

But it's when the stereotyping and blaming breeds for poor owners that gets frustrating. If I said "I don't like pitbulls because there are several always running loose attacking little dogs" I'd be told it's the owners of those dogs to blame, not the breed. But 'rambunctious young dogs with no manners' is blamed on being a lab or golden? That makes no sense.

Basing an answer off a factual breed trait, i.e. appearance, care level, lifestyle, is different than attributing negative personality traits to a whole breed. Just like pittie and bully owners get aggravated by stereotypes, so do those of us with other breeds with negative stereotypes that are borne of poor ownership practices. In my view, it IS similar as Staci mentioned to lumping a whole race of people together because of a stereotype when it has more to do with upbringing, environment, and so on.

Lots of people new to the world of dogs choose a golden or lab because of their "family dog" image. Lots of 'macho/gangster' types choose bullies because of the image. Some of these people ruin the individual dogs but it is just not fair to label the whole breed negatively because of this.

finn's mom
02-15-2008, 08:53 AM

My sentiments exactly. :)

Maya & Inka's mommy
02-15-2008, 09:19 AM
I used to love them ALL !! But, in 1984 , I got bitten by a huge German Shepperd. We were living in St.Louis (MO) then, and I was driving my bike, in a street with lots of houses; all of a sudden that dog ran up to me, threw me of my bike, and bit me in my "behind". I didn't need stitches, but I could count exactly how much teeth that dog had!! It took over 3 months to heal.... :(

Since then, I cannot help to be scared like hell for any German Shepperd.....

shais_mom
02-15-2008, 10:20 AM
I'm sure I would like Keegan just fine, she doesn't seem like a rambucious young Golden with no manners.

:)
well she has her moments! ;) but she's not so young anymore but that doesn't make a difference!

shais_mom
02-15-2008, 10:31 AM
I'm going to re-iterate what I've said about bad owners.
I found a link on my Reiki email list asking for reiki for these mini horses.
I haven't heard anything about this.
there are some graphic pics towards the bottom of the blog.
from what I've understood.
one of the mini horses was killed.
I can't find a reason as to why or how it happened.

http://heartsandhooveslubbock.vox.com/

Logan
02-15-2008, 10:57 AM
Like so many others have said, I love all dogs, period. Would I have them as pets? No. But that doesn't mean that I don't like every dog that crosses my path. I rarely blame a dog for bad behavior. Heck, I have my own issue here, right in my own home, with a purebred English Bulldog that I love to pieces, but he is a tyrant and causes problems with my two other dogs.

I love my Goldens, best of all, to tell you the truth, and like Staci and others, it bothers me when people say they are "overbred" or don't like them. My experience with Goldens and Labs has been wonderful! Honey came from a backyard breeder, before I knew better, but would I trade her? No way!!! She's been with us for over 9 years now. We love her to death. Yes, the Lab I had as a puppy was a wild man, but he was a GREAT dog, and I loved him to pieces. And because I am one who will probably always have multiple dogs, I think Goldens and Labrador Retrievers fit my lifestyle. My English Bulldog needs to be an only dog. He won't be, but he needs to be, so I won't be seeking out any other English Bulldogs for our family.

Will I ever own a smaller dog? Maybe. I loved my Cocker Spaniel, Kaycee, to pieces. She was a wonderful addition to our family. She joined us when she was 7 years old, and we had her for 5 years. She was very special. But I'm not inclined to have dogs that have lots of grooming requirements, though, therefore I probably won't have another Cocker Spaniel.

It is interesting to know how you all feel about other breeds, as long as we can keep it civil.

I'm going to answer the original question, knowing that I will probably make someone mad, but I'm answering it, anyway. I would not own:

Pit Bulls: the risk is just too great for me, with children, cats and other dogs, but I admire those who have embraced these dogs and I have read so many, many success stories about them.
Chihuahuas: too small. I worry that they might be injured by our cat or other dogs. They are darling, just not suitable for our situation.

I LOVE Bichons and if I got a smaller dog, that's probably the direction I would go in. But again, there is a grooming issue, so I wouldn't go that direction.

I guess I'm destined to have BIG, Hairy dogs that love me. Every Golden Retriever I have encountered is easy to manage, easy to love. It is definitely my breed of choice, rescue, purebred, etc.

cyber-sibes
02-15-2008, 11:28 AM
I don't like obnoxious breeds. There, that's pretty open-ended.

(my point is that its particular behaviors that I don't like, not particular breeds of dogs)

Ginger's Mom
02-15-2008, 11:37 AM
I like every breed of dog, as long as I am not the one that is required to care for and train it. There are breeds that I am not of the right temperament to handle. But I sure do love seeing them when someone else is handling them and taking responsibilty for their actions and behavior. Some dogs are kind of like grandchildren, they are fun to play with and spoil and then give back to their family. :D

Anna, I really do admire you. You are a very self-confident well-rounded person. Having said that, I believe that is the reason you can handle the dogs that you have. Let's start with Chows. As you already know, because I have told you by pm, I would LOVE to have a Chow. But, I have been told by Chow owners that they are unpredictable, and they need a strong willed owner. I do not think I could ever handle one, so I would never own one, I have to get my fix through Huney. And as to huskies, well let me tell you, I did not know they were such a difficult breed until joining Pet Talk. And I am saying this as a positive thing. First, because now I wouldn't get a dog and end up taking it to a shelter, and secondly because now I understand Husky play better at the dog park and don't find it mean or threatening, where I may have before. I think that Pet Talk has done a lot to contribute to the fact that many of us can say, there isn't any dog breed that I don't like, just some that I wouldn't own.

Tora Oni
02-15-2008, 01:15 PM
Well in my opinion, their is not a real breed that I don't like when it comes to personality, b/c as said before most of it depends on owners their really isn't a bad dog just bad owners, to me. Some dogs just need more work others less, if the animal isn't cared for properly then it will not behave so. Pesonaly I wouldn't own a dog with a smooshed face, nor teacups I think their too small I would be afraid that if I wasn't paying attention that it would get hurt. Over all its not the dog I don't like its what people have made it to be.

Suki Wingy
02-15-2008, 02:11 PM
I would not own:

Pit Bulls: the risk is just too great for me, with children, cats and other dogs, but I admire those who have embraced these dogs and I have read so many, many success stories about them.
Chihuahuas: too small. I worry that they might be injured by our cat or other dogs. They are darling, just not suitable for our situation.

I LOVE Bichons and if I got a smaller dog, that's probably the direction I would go in. But again, there is a grooming issue, so I wouldn't go that direction.

That's funny how it works out, we happen to be exact opposites! Does that bother me? No. You are your own person, I am myself, we like different things.

micki76
02-15-2008, 10:45 PM
To be perfectly honest there are a few breeds that I'm not particularly crazy about, that's human nature. However, I would never state those breeds, because it's hurtful and rude to say that about someone's baby.

There are some that I don't like certain traits about, but to say a breed is yappy, ugly, or hideous is beyond rude. I'm not physically attracted to blonde men, but I don't think they're ugly. I just can't fathom disliking a dog because of how they look, I mean, it's a dog.

Perhaps next everyone can state which races of people they don't like and why? Not a good idea? Tell me, what's the difference?

Suki Wingy
02-16-2008, 07:57 PM
There is a huge difference. There can be a major difference in the temperament of two breeds, but races of people are all people, they aren't majorly different.

shais_mom
02-16-2008, 08:02 PM
There is a huge difference. There can be a major difference in the temperament of two breeds, but races of people are all people, they aren't majorly different.
you may be correct but back in the 'old' days that is not (unfortunately) what people believed.

jackie
02-17-2008, 08:06 AM
I wouldn't have a husky (or similar thick fur dog) I just don't think it is fair to have them in such a hot climate. Whenever I see one here, I feel so bad for them, but if I lived in Canada I would love one.

Daisy and Delilah
02-17-2008, 06:48 PM
Before I joined this board, I honestly have to say there were some breeds I really didn't go crazy over. After meeting dogs of all breeds here, pure and mixed, I've learned so much that I didn't know about many different dogs. Not to mention the fact that I have grown to love all the dogs here. This has resulted in a new love and understanding of all breeds.

I've never disliked any dog but I probably wouldn't have tried owning some of them. There are still breeds I feel I wouldn't be suited to own but I'm happy to say that I now ooooh and aaaah equally over all dogs when I probably didn't in my pre-PT days.

On a side note: Chihuahuas definitely shed :) Just ask Daisy-that little girl sheds enough for people to think I have a giant dog in the house ;) Her sister sheds too. :)

Seravieve
02-17-2008, 08:50 PM
Wellp.. although I am somewhat conflicted about this topic.. I'll add my .02.

Not fond of little breeds... Smallest I'd go is a bull terrier.. Not a fan of high maintenance dogs either. Love the short hair, bully breeds... Zeke is more of J's dog.. ;) Smaller dogs tend to be more yappy, needy, babied... (Dont get me wrong, our three are babied too... :rolleyes: ) But thats also because of their owners.. Smaller dog = helpless... I guess is how some people see it. Picking them up, talking in cutsie voices, etc. Like my dad has a toy poodle ( :confused: manly, I know.. j/k) and it gets away with EVERYTHING.. but that's also his and his wife's doing. So I dont blame the dog solely.. but thats how it tends to work out..

And I know a couple with 2 dachshunds that bark and bark.. so does J's Gma's dachshund. So in a way its the breed + prospective owners that = dislike for me.. if that makes sense. I love the appearance of Dachshunds.. short hair ones.. but I wouldnt want one, as its not right for me..

So I'd have to agree with the others who have said they like all breeds but not all are right for me.. =) And I have a fondness for Bully Breeds (Esp Boxers and Bull Terriers) and Dalmatians.. (RB Pepper *sniffle*). :D

buttercup132
02-17-2008, 10:09 PM
Perhaps next everyone can state which races of people they don't like and why? Not a good idea? Tell me, what's the difference? It's about dogs, but ok blow it out of porportion :rolleyes: .

Maybe it's just the way alot of these breeds are raised that I don't like then and the terrible breeding.

bckrazy
02-17-2008, 11:18 PM
I just can't fathom disliking a dog because of how they look, I mean, it's a dog.

Perhaps next everyone can state which races of people they don't like and why? Not a good idea? Tell me, what's the difference?

Then how can you fathom LIKING how a dog looks? Everyone has aesthetic preferences. Yes, of course, personality is very important... but, if I had to pick between a dog with a personality that fit me and looks that I love, compared to a dog with an equally fitting personality that I didn't find appealing, of course I would pick the dog I found cute!

I agree with Suki, in that, comparing breeds of dogs to races of people is like comparing apples and... tofu! Not even. Apples and pogosticks. Just don't go there, it is offensive.

Breeds of dogs have been created by us (as we all know) to encompass certain traits, including personality and appearance. There are dogs that I find adorable, but have personalities that I truly dislike. There are dogs that I don't particularly like the looks of... I'm not going to tell some one their dog of that breed is hideous, and appearances in a breed do vary... but part of choosing a dog that I'm going to spend the next 10-15 years with IS how I feel about their looks. An enormous range of temperaments is part of what is so amazing about dogs! In one species, there are breeds that will not dare to leave your side, and there are breeds that would in an instant if given the option. There are breeds that only get up to eat dinner, and breeds that are constantly in motion. Of course, dogs within a breed do vary, but I would assume one's opinion is based on the breed standard, and how the breed is intended to be.

You can still have a respect for a breed of dog, but at the same time not favor it.

CathyBogart
02-18-2008, 09:21 PM
I will reluctantly admit that, with precious few exceptions, I do not care for Dalmatians. My experience IN GENERAL has been that they are overbred, high-strung, obnoxious dogs, and I haven't yet had one come into my clinic that didn't need a muzzle for the simplest of procedures. I try to keep an open mind when they come in to the clinic, but the techs I work with call them "Damnations" because they are extremely frustrating to work with.

Not to say that I've never met any I liked, I've met a few great examples of the breed. :)

Pembroke_Corgi
02-18-2008, 10:34 PM
I agree with many people who say they like all dogs but wouldn't own all dogs. I enjoy seeing and meeting all kinds of breeds (including mutts of course who always have their own unique traits). I honestly can't think of any I don't like. :)