PDA

View Full Version : how much for a neuter at your vet?

sirrahved
02-13-2008, 11:03 AM
Georgie was neutered yesterday! I was so worried the whole day, but he did fine. He came home purring, and super playful as usual. The office said that he woke up wanting to play, so they gave him a toy in his recovery cage :eek: :D

So, I was completly surprised at how LOW the bill was. Surgery and optional pain injection only came to $74.

Is this really low, or normal? We've never paid for a spay/neuter before, because we've adopted all previous animals from shelters.

Freedom
02-13-2008, 12:20 PM
Well, I use 2 different vets, one for the rescues and one for my own pets. At the rescue vet, a non-rescue neuter is $125. My last boy, Chaplin, I took him to a not for profit clinic, it was just $40. I think you did VERY well price wise!

smokey the elder
02-13-2008, 02:42 PM
That's on the low end, I think. Neutering is less expensive than spaying, as it's less invasive (try telling that to the boy kitties!)

Moesha
02-13-2008, 02:53 PM
The last cat that I had neutered was in September of last year. He was a stray that had showed up on my deck. I just dug out his bill and the total bill was $165.49. But he had alot done. Here's an itemized list:
Felv/FIV test = 30.00
Neuter = 45.00
Tail Dock = 45.00 (Somehow he had the fur and skin stripped off half of his tail so they had to amputate half of it.)
Vaccination = 16.00
Rabies Shot = 8.00
Dose of Advantage Multi = 13.50
Simplicef Antibiotics to prevent tail infection = 5.00
Pack of Greenies = 2.99
Tax = .29 (on the Greenies LOL)

I was given a $10 discount for having so many furkids that I take in regularly.
I live in a very small town and have heard that my vet is very reasonable with his prices. Even though I end up hurting after I leave. I would never be able to afford a more expensive vet for all the critters around here. I think that when I had Juliet spayed it was $60.

catmandu
02-13-2008, 04:58 PM
Tubster Panther was only 100 Dollars including shots, but that was because My Vet knew he was a Stray , and I recieved a discount. Normally the procedures would have been 150 or so dollars.
I think it usually around 200, and they push declawing up here at the Big Clinics.
Not My Vet though, hes dead against declawing.

Catlady711
02-13-2008, 10:54 PM
That's not a bad price on a neuter. I can't remember the exact prices we have where I work without the computer, but seems ours is near or just under that best I can recall.

Scooter's Mom
02-14-2008, 06:16 AM
I don't know on a neuter, but when we had Jingle spayed in January, it was $129. That included all pain meds during and after surgery. We had a weeks worth after she came home.

critter crazy
02-14-2008, 06:19 AM
At my vet Neutering is $45 and Spaying is $55. :)

CultureJunky
02-14-2008, 06:50 AM
In Cardiff, where I'm from, the local PDSA (People's Dispensary For Sick Animals) which is a charity offers dogs and cats in conjuction with Dogs Trust (Rescue and Rehome Charity) and Cat's Protection (UK's biggest feline rescue and rehome charity). They are priced around £20 for a female and £15 for a male cat. £25 for a female dog, and £20 for a male dog.
So I guess that would be around $40 tops for the cats and $50 for the doggies.
I think in Britain female cats are spayed differently? The surgery is not evasive at all, they are done from the side of their body with minimum scarring and the fur just grows back. I think somebody before on here has pointed out that it's a different procedure in the US to the United Kingdom.
The PDSA offers vet practice fo people on low incomes who recieve housing benefit. But you can use the neutering, worming and flea services even if you don't recieve benefit.

Jack & Sunny were already neutered when they went into Cat's Protection by their previous owners.