PDA

View Full Version : Cat Liter

MRichardson51
02-11-2008, 10:05 AM
I have three cats and am currently using Fresh Step. The problem I'm having is the liter is so fine that my cats get it caught in their paws and bring it upstairs. I have wood floors throughout my house and swifer frequently (daily or everyother day) and I'm shocked at how much liter there is.

Does anyone have any suggestions or possibly a different cat liter that doesn't track so easily. I've heard of mats that you place under the liter box to collect liter, but I'm not sure if they are effective.

Thanks for any help you might have.

Emeraldgreen
02-11-2008, 12:41 PM
I have a similar problem. I've been thinking about using the lid to an extra large storage container that is about 3 feet in length and a foot and half across (rubbermaid?) that is about 4 inches high on all sides of the lid and turning it upside down and making it a tray to put under the litter box. This way the cats will have to take at least two steps inside the tray once they exit the box and before they step out onto the floor. I'm hoping that at least 80% if the litter will get left in the tray and not on the floor. Then I can just empty the tray every now and then. Could even pour that litter back into the litter box and save some money too! :)

lvpets2002
02-11-2008, 12:45 PM
;) You might also consider buying Tracker Mats.. I have one in front of each & all my litter pans.. Trust me they help alot.. See put them in front of the litter box & as you baby gets out the Tracker Mat attracks & contains the litter off of there paws.. Walmart & any pet store has them.. Good Luck.. Welcome to you all to Pet Talk..

kb2yjx
02-11-2008, 01:28 PM
After having cats for nearly 20 years, I have been looking for the PERFECT litter that does not track and low dust. We use Arm & Hammer unscented clumping, still tracks but gets dusty towards the end of its life. We tried a pine litter, that does not track, but the cats HATED it. I also tried using litter mats, which I thought was a good idea. Well, the cats thought differently. Several of them urinated ON the mats!!! Needless to say, we no longer use the mats and the cats are very happy!!! Good luck!!!

moosmom
02-11-2008, 01:58 PM
I use Woody Pet, which is similar to Feline Pine, only it's broken down into smaller pieces and doesn't have much of a scent. $7.99 for 40 pounds. I have two long, fairly deep storage bins that I use as litterboxes. It so much easier than regular hooded boxes. The cats got the hang of it the first couple days, after I removed the last covered box.

No tracking at all.

Freedom
02-11-2008, 02:04 PM
I have tracker mats and they do help. And as someone mentioned, I just tip them back into the box, so the litter is not wasted. There are 2 types; some are very floppy and you need 2 hands (at least!) to lift and tip into the box. I prefer the firmer ones, I can manage with one hand.

Welcome to PT!! Tell us about your pets sometime, we would LOVE to meet them!

cassiesmom
02-11-2008, 02:14 PM
I don't have a tracker mat because the litter box is in a corner of my bedroom, which is carpeted. I put a cotton throw rug between the carpet and the litter box to catch what my cat tracks and kicks. I found a whisk broom and dustpan combo at the dollar store, which I use to sweep up the litter from the throw rug when I scoop the box. That way less litter ends up in the vacuum cleaner. I switched my cat from clumping back to clay litter, because she doesn't track the clay nearly as much. I was thinking to give a try to Feline Pine or Yesterday's News, though.

Sam x
02-11-2008, 03:11 PM
We have three indoor cats and we use a cat litter called Yesterdays news. Its hard to get it over here unless you order it in but since using it we have never had any traces of litter around the house. Our Tonkinese makes a big fuss when going to the loo and was very messy with other cat litters. :)

Maya & Inka's mommy
02-11-2008, 04:08 PM
We had the same problems here! Then I changed to another litter, with larger
structure. No more problems!!

catmandu
02-11-2008, 05:33 PM
I USE TRACKER MATS AS WELL, DESPITE THE FACT THAT THE KITTEN TRIO USES THEM AS LAUCHING PADS FOR THIER ATTACKS AND THEY USUALLY END UP IN A CORNER IN A PILE.
:cool: :cool: :cool:

lvpets2002
02-12-2008, 10:10 AM
;) Your too funny Uncle Gary.. Yes my babies somtimes think the trackers mats are for the Red Carpet Ride.. Remember the song?? :D
I USE TRACKER MATS AS WELL, DESPITE THE FACT THAT THE KITTEN TRIO USES THEM AS LAUCHING PADS FOR THIER ATTACKS AND THEY USUALLY END UP IN A CORNER IN A PILE.
:cool: :cool: :cool: