PDA

View Full Version : Westminster Dog Show

Pam
02-10-2008, 08:19 PM
It's that time again! :) Monday and Tuesday (Feb. 11 and 12) are the dates to mark on your calendar. ;)

Edit: It starts at 8:00PM (Eastern time) on the USA network.

chocolatepuppy
02-10-2008, 08:25 PM
Thanks Pam, just left myself a note on the kitchen table so I don't forget. :)

Kalei
02-10-2008, 09:17 PM
Ahhhhh! I"m so excited!! I can't wait til tomorrow XD :D

Ginger's Mom
02-10-2008, 09:23 PM
I am finally going, this year. I am sooo excited. I am only going on Tuesday, but it is going to be a blast. :D

Kalei
02-10-2008, 09:39 PM
I am finally going, this year. I am sooo excited. I am only going on Tuesday, but it is going to be a blast. :D

OMGosh! You have to take lots and lots and lots of pics and spend all day putting them on here for us :D :P

Grace
02-10-2008, 09:46 PM
I can't wait. The first Westminster I saw on TV was way back in the mid-80s, when Manhattan, the gorgeous GSD, won.

Saw a few clips on NBC Nightly News. Did any of you see Rufus, English Mastiff, weighing in at 215 pounds?

http://blogs.nbcuni.com/petsideblog/Rufus4small.jpg

buttercup132
02-11-2008, 05:17 PM
kalei what channel is it on for you?

Freedom
02-11-2008, 07:27 PM
Alright, it's on right NOW!!! :D

Freedom
02-11-2008, 08:04 PM
CNBC is covering ALL of it!!!

Chica
02-11-2008, 08:21 PM
I'm all ready for it!! :)

Husky15
02-11-2008, 09:18 PM
CNBC is covering ALL of it!!!

Really?! We've had it on CNBC now for over an hour and its just been talking about the stock Markets and buisness loans.

- Kalei

Grace
02-11-2008, 10:04 PM
USA had the first hour; then at 9pm it went over to CNBC.

Tomorrow night the entire 3 hours will be on USA.

Giselle
02-11-2008, 10:58 PM
Thank you, Grace! 8pm Eastern (aka 5 pm Pacific), right?

Karen
02-12-2008, 12:09 AM
They are also replaying it later, if you have a DVR or VCR you want to set up!

Pam
02-12-2008, 05:36 AM
Well I went out of the room at the commercial break at 9:00 and came back to a wrestling program. I had no idea what happened. :mad: :mad: I hope to be able to view what I missed at some later date. I was so mad because I missed the Non-Sporting which is my favorite group. :(

Rachel
02-12-2008, 05:43 AM

:cool: What are you going to be wearing? Maybe we will see you on TV.

Freedom
02-12-2008, 08:15 AM
Here is an on line story with PHOTOS of last night.

http://news.aol.com/story/_a/westminster-dog-show-opens/20080211090909990001?ncid=NWS00010000000

Most (not all) of the pics are of the group winners.

Further down are photos of the past 11 Best in Show winners.

2001 was a great year! ;) :D

cassiesmom
02-12-2008, 11:10 AM
But, Pam, did you see the standard poodle? The commentators talked about the special coat style that's required for a dog show, and said that a poodle makes a great family dog and your breeder or groomer will teach you how to maintain the coat for every-day activities. I like poodles better in their day in, day out coat than in the special style they get for shows. I'm not telling you the outcome though :) So many beautiful dogs! Little ones and big ones.

Logan
02-12-2008, 12:08 PM
PAM!!!! I wish I had known you didn't know that it would continue on CNBC last night or I would have told you. Can't believe you missed the finals of the "Non Sporting" group. What a variety of dogs there were in that group!

I was emailing, back and forth, with Scott, while that part was going on, and we were both laughing, hysterically, at the pace of the English Bulldog. He definitely moved at his own speed. LOL! And the little French Bulldog was so funny, just sitting down as if she had enough! :p

You guys will appreciate Mack's interest in the dog show, while I had it on in the den. Silly boy would catch it out of the corner of his eye, while he sat in his chair (his throne), and run over to see it up close.

He and Helen were "talking" about it:

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l129/lbagley/IMG_0129.jpg?t=1202839588

Then he went to the tv on his own.
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l129/lbagley/IMG_0128.jpg?t=1202839653

By the time the beautiful Bulldog came on, I was in the bed and watching from there, so Mack missed that. Probably a good thing as he would have been very jealous!!! :p

Pam
02-12-2008, 12:28 PM
Here is an on line story with PHOTOS of last night.

http://news.aol.com/story/_a/westminster-dog-show-opens/20080211090909990001?ncid=NWS00010000000

Thank you for that link! I just viewed all 150 pictures and was so sad to see what I missed!! AARGH!!!!! :( :( I am sure they announced where to view the rest of it while I was taking a potty break during the commercial (I know...TMI!). LOL! I will be tuning in tonight for sure - already checked the TV section of the paper to make sure there are no surprises.

Logan, the pictures of Mack are hysterical! :D

Sparklecoon
02-12-2008, 12:45 PM
Was the sporting group on last night or is that tonight? I watched the Hounds (loved that cream IW and the beautiful Scottish Deerhound) and part of the terrier group (Lovely staffie.). If I missed the American cockers (all three color groups) I'll be so mad.

Grace
02-12-2008, 12:59 PM
Was the sporting group on last night or is that tonight? I watched the Hounds (loved that cream IW and the beautiful Scottish Deerhound) and part of the terrier group (Lovely staffie.). If I missed the American cockers (all three color groups) I'll be so mad.

The judging order tonight is -

Sporting
Toy
Working

Best in Show

Kalei
02-12-2008, 02:47 PM
I'm so sad!! I was so excited to see it. And CNBC went over to long with something about Stock Markets and it couldn't be played until 1 - 3 am here...I figured I'd get it since its only Canada I'm in..

Now I"m scared that I won't even get to see it tonight. :(

Grace
02-12-2008, 03:07 PM
I'm so sad!! I was so excited to see it. And CNBC went over to long with something about Stock Markets and it couldn't be played until 1 - 3 am here...I figured I'd get it since its only Canada I'm in..

Now I"m scared that I won't even get to see it tonight. :(

It's on USA Network tonight and only USA. Last night they switched to CNBC at 9pm because USA had some stupid wrestling show. Like the Dog Show hadn't been scheduled for a year . . . . . :confused:

Rachel
02-12-2008, 04:45 PM
You guys will appreciate Mack's interest in the dog show, while I had it on in the den. Silly boy would catch it out of the corner of his eye, while he sat in his chair (his throne), and run over to see it up close.

He and Helen were "talking" about it:

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l129/lbagley/IMG_0129.jpg?t=1202839588

Then he went to the tv on his own.
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l129/lbagley/IMG_0128.jpg?t=1202839653

By the time the beautiful Bulldog came on, I was in the bed and watching from there, so Mack missed that. Probably a good thing as he would have been very jealous!!! :p

Hannah would have loved watching the whole show with Mack.

Sirrahsim
02-12-2008, 05:04 PM
It's on USA Network tonight and only USA. Last night they switched to CNBC at 9pm because USA had some stupid wrestling show. Like the Dog Show hadn't been scheduled for a year . . . . . :confused:
Wrestling has been every monday night for years :)
I watched some of the dog show and really enjoyed it!

Grace
02-12-2008, 05:11 PM
Wrestling has been every monday night for years :)
I watched some of the dog show and really enjoyed it!

I didn't know that - about the wrestling. If that is the case, then NBC should have just had CNBC or MSNBC do the entire show instead of mucking everyone up with the switch.

And I know we didn't have to switch last year, or the year before, or ever. As far back as I can remember, the entire 3 hours of both nights were shown with no bouncing around.

Sirrahsim
02-12-2008, 05:33 PM
I have no clue why they made everyone bounce around :confused: My husband would have been disappointed but I would have been perfectly happy if they had cancelled wrestling for a week :p :D Perhaps they didn't want to cancel wrestling because there is a big Pay per view event on Sunday the 17th.

Giselle
02-12-2008, 08:07 PM
I'm confused. It's 6pm Pacific and I'm on USA channel right now. It's playing Law and Order...

ETA: Ahhhh, okay, so it's not live for us West coasters. We have to wait until 8pm, too. Darn!

Logan
02-12-2008, 08:09 PM
Why is it that the Labs and Golden Retrievers, two of the most popular breeds, are always overlooked at Westminster? Is it because they are so friendly and don't show well? :( Sort of makes me sad as there are so many beautiful dogs entered and neither breed has EVER gotten Best in Show at Westminster.

I have a lovely Golden boy, lying at my feet. He is the BEST, and doesn't need to be a show dog to prove it! :)

cassiesmom
02-12-2008, 08:14 PM
I have a lovely Golden boy, lying at my feet. He is the BEST, and doesn't need to be a show dog to prove it! :)
Please give your lovely Golden boy some petting for me! There are tons of "Best in Pet Talk" dogs as far as I'm concerned! I wish I could give out about a zillion blue ribbons.

Freedom
02-12-2008, 08:18 PM
There are tons of "Best in Pet Talk" dogs as far as I'm concerned! I wish I could give out about a zillion blue ribbons.

Hear, hear!!!

Giselle
02-12-2008, 08:21 PM
It could be that the two breeds are straying away from what the standard really calls for. I know there's probably a big debate over what Labs should really look like (field vs. bench). It could be that the two breeds are in general disarray from overpopularity. It could be the judge's personal bias (it exists; nobody just likes to acknowledge it). It could be politics. Chances are, a great deal of it has to do with politics :D

I don't think a greyhound has ever won Westminster. I know Pekes have won the Garden a few times, but it's just another show :)

tikeyas_mom
02-12-2008, 08:57 PM
I thought the sharpei should have won in the non sporting group.. it was so wrinkly for an adult sharpei!!! Love em'

Freedom
02-12-2008, 09:16 PM
I have not seen a WHITE komondor before! I thought they only came in black, that's all I've ever seen. wow!

Logan
02-12-2008, 09:47 PM
No offense to the favorites of others, but that little Beagle has stolen my heart. How neat it would be if he gets Best in Show. My second choice would be the Akita, but what do I know? I would have put the English Bulldog and Golden Retriever at the head of the pack, biased mom that I am!! :p

cali
02-12-2008, 10:01 PM
miss Electra daddy took BOB for the Tollers, so my main desire was to see him in TV lol, I never liked him much in pictures, but seeing on TV he looked fantastic, close family resemeblance to Electra, their markings are almost the same lol. Stormy has much better movement though, Electras look really weird, like her heels click when she moves lol.

I remeber I had the opposite reaction to Maverick, I adored him in pictures, but when I saw him at Westmin. I was really turned off, his front and his movement looked so awkward and stiff lol

IRescue452
02-12-2008, 10:07 PM
I really liked the toller in the group. That was Electra's father? Nice dog.

I was crossing my fingers for anything but poodle...anything but poodle. Don't get me wrong, poodles are nice dogs. But they win too many times in America its made me not like watching American shows. They don't win best in show at westminster too often, but they always take the group over amazing dogs of other breeds, like the chow and sharpei in this show.

Grace
02-12-2008, 10:08 PM
No offense to the favorites of others, but that little Beagle has stolen my heart. How neat it would be if he gets Best in Show?

Me too - and he won!!

Ginger's Mom
02-12-2008, 10:15 PM
Shayna, I watched the Toller judging. He did a great job, and I don't think there was a doubt at all that he would win. Although I really wanted Sizzle (Best of Opposite) to win, but that is because I had spent some very lovely time with her by the benches. She is a sweetie and her handlers are very nice. I also met another sweet male Toller (pictures coming tomorrow), and everyone the Toller area were wonderful to talk with. :) I am truly hooked. :)

Tollers-n-Dobes
02-12-2008, 10:23 PM
Shayna, I thought the same as you regarding pictures vs. actually seeing him on TV. He's a pretty nice dog. Joyce, I can hardly wait to see your pictures!

I'm glad the Beagle won. He was pretty nice looking and I loved his attitude. I just hope his win doesn't cause a lot more Beagle BYBs to pop up... I always worry about stuff like that after a big win.

cali
02-12-2008, 10:23 PM
Sizzle is Electras sister lol

which male did ya meet? I know most the the Tollers that were there..Topper(the black nose) belongs to and was bred by Electra co-owner, Ziggy is owned my Lecks co-owner as well.

Ginger's Mom
02-12-2008, 10:35 PM
I believe they called him Pooky, and a lot of the registered names had "snow" something in it (snowstorm or snowshoe, or something like that). They were very very nice. I purposely asked to see the pedigree, thinking I would mention it so Devan, but I honestly forget the names now. I will check further tomorrow. Stormy was out briefly while I was back there.

Pam
02-13-2008, 06:24 AM
I was thinking right from the start that the little beagle would run off with Best in Show. There was just something very special about him. Of course I fell in love with both poodles (the standard and the toy) and thought that they deserved to win their groups, but I admit to being just a wee bit biased. :o I found the golden to be the most beautiful one that I ever remember seeing at Westminster and the akita was absolutely awesome. Of course I was wishing for the swissie in the working group. :) All in all, it was an enjoyable night for me. :)

Sparklecoon
02-13-2008, 06:40 AM
miss Electra daddy took BOB for the Tollers, so my main desire was to see him in TV lol, I never liked him much in pictures, but seeing on TV he looked fantastic, close family resemeblance to Electra, their markings are almost the same lol. Stormy has much better movement though, Electras look really weird, like her heels click when she moves lol.

I remeber I had the opposite reaction to Maverick, I adored him in pictures, but when I saw him at Westmin. I was really turned off, his front and his movement looked so awkward and stiff lol

When I saw the Toller show they were saying something about his daughter getting best of opposite sex. Would that be Miss Electra's half-sister?

edited to add:
I answered my own question by actually finishing reading the thread :p

cali
02-13-2008, 08:21 AM
the daughter being refered to is actually Electra's full sister from a previous litter :)

IRescue452
02-13-2008, 09:44 AM
I have not seen a WHITE komondor before! I thought they only came in black, that's all I've ever seen. wow!

You must be thinking of the bergamasco or puli. Komondors only come in white.

Pawsitive Thinking
02-13-2008, 10:45 AM
woohoo! Roll on Crufts
http://www.bbc.co.uk/birmingham/crufts/

Daisy and Delilah
02-13-2008, 10:54 AM
CONGRATULATIONS UNO!!!! What a cutie pie!!

Pam: I was in love with the Poodles as always. I wanted one of them to win. The Akita was definitely gorgeous and that Golden was unbelievable. How about those two Chis? They both had me wishing I had a baby more than ever :)

I absolutely love that show. The only problem I have with it is that I'm hoarse after Awwwwwwing so much. I know all my neighbors can hear me, I put on such a show about it every year. :D

Pam
02-13-2008, 11:59 AM
about those two Chis? They both had me wishing I had a baby more than ever :)

I was oohing and aahing at the chis right along with you!! :) My hubby said that he prefers the short-haired chis to the long-haired. I told him that I had a special love for the short-haired chis because of all of *my* :) little chis on Pet Talk, but that I also loved the long-haired ones. How could anyone not! :) I just really enjoy seeing such perfection in all of the breeds. As I looked at the standard poodle all beautifully groomed I then looked over at Bella and she looked like a ragamuffin by comparison! LOL! :D

Freedom
02-13-2008, 12:10 PM
You must be thinking of the bergamasco or puli. Komondors only come in white.
Puli. Shame on me, but I DO often mix them up. Thanks for setting me straight; THIS time!

Freedom
02-13-2008, 12:11 PM
woohoo! Roll on Crufts
http://www.bbc.co.uk/birmingham/crufts/

Crusfts Mar 6 to 9, wahoo!

Daisy and Delilah
02-13-2008, 12:17 PM
My RB Killer was a chocolate long coat. She was such a pistol. I love them all but the short coat ones are alot easier to groom. :)

Pam, Bella could never look like a ragamuffin. I was thinking about her luxurious, gorgeous, white, coat while I was watching the other Poodles. I have to say I like Bella's coat over their's :D Hands down!! :)

Pam
02-13-2008, 12:28 PM
My RB Killer was a chocolate long coat.

Killer! LOL! LOL! I love that name! :)

Pam, Bella could never look like a ragamuffin. I was thinking about her luxurious, gorgeous, white, coat while I was watching the other Poodles. I have to say I like Bella's coat over their's :D Hands down!! :)

Awww gee thanks! :o I just can't imagine how much time the grooming takes to get prepared for a show like that. I am sure that if I spent just 1/4 of the amount of time on Bella she would be ready to run away from home. :p I am not a fan of the fancy cuts either but there is something to be said for a coat that is able to stand up to that look, pompoms on the butt and all! :p

cassiesmom
02-13-2008, 06:21 PM
No offense to the favorites of others, but that little Beagle has stolen my heart. How neat it would be if he gets Best in Show. My second choice would be the Akita, but what do I know? I would have put the English Bulldog and Golden Retriever at the head of the pack, biased mom that I am!! :p
Yeaaaaah, Logan! You chose the winner! I wanted them all to win.