PDA

View Full Version : Decision was made... Meet Joey! Chihuahua baby inside!

kt_luvs_kitties
02-09-2008, 11:28 PM
So today I made the choice! If you remember, I had to pick between two babies, http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b8df04b3127cceb4083a2b3a8c00000026100AbM2LZi3bt2 MA .

Well, Wanna know which I picked???

You sure?

OK.........

Meet Joey!!!

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b8dc28b3127cceb556812d895f00000026100AbM2LZi3bt2 MA

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b8dc28b3127cceb556812e086c00000026100AbM2LZi3bt2 MA

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b8dc28b3127cceb5568124086600000026100AbM2LZi3bt2 MA

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b8dc28b3127cceb5568128086a00000026100AbM2LZi3bt2 MA

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b8dc28b3127cceb5568113896100000026100AbM2LZi3bt2 MA

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b8dc28b3127cceb5568116085400000026100AbM2LZi3bt2 MA

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b8df04b3127cceb40826733ada00000026100AbM2LZi3bt2 MA

And one video! My mom put him on the bed and was playing while I taped. I cant wait to get him to my house and play!

Check back for the video!

He is only 7 weeks 2 days old. I cant believe I made this jump :eek: I am scared to death! I have never owned a puppy before, so any advice would be GREAT! I read about them and studied some books. But I am still scared I will do something wrong... Anyways, I hope you enjoy my boy, I made the right choice with this one :D

*LabLoverKEB*
02-09-2008, 11:46 PM
He's seriously ONLY 7 weeks, 2 days old??? :confused: That's WAAAY to young for a puppy to leave it's mother, especually a toy breed. Toy breeds should be at least 12 weeks old before they leave their mother...

kt_luvs_kitties
02-09-2008, 11:48 PM
Yes. He is only 7 weeks old. I was told since he is eating well on solids, and plus, the mother never fed them, She abandoned them at birth, that it is ok?

krazyaboutkatz
02-10-2008, 01:50 AM
Congrats!!!:D He sure is a wee one and I hope he'll continue to thrive in your care.:) I don't know much about dogs either so I can't give you any advice.;)

chocolatepuppy
02-10-2008, 05:35 AM
Oh my goodness! You picked the chocolate! I love chocolate puppies! ;) Joey is adorable. :D There are plenty enough people here to give you advice on puppies. One thing I can tell you, he WILL keep you busy. I should know. :p

Ginger's Mom
02-10-2008, 06:38 AM
Squeeee, he is adorable. :D I am sure you will do fine. Do you work? I was just thinking about housebreaking when I asked that question. I am sure your experience with helping out so many cats/kittens will serve you well with the pup. Congrats.

Pam
02-10-2008, 06:47 AM
Here's another squeal!!! Oh my goodness, I will just have to come and get the little black and tan boy for myself then! :p :) Joey is sooooo precious! I know he will bring you much joy and lots of laughs. I would certainly PM Chopper's Mom and also Daisy and Delilah's mom for training ideas with chihuahuas. Actually I don't think Daisy and Delilah were adopted as puppies so maybe Traci would be more help in this regard. Oh I will be looking for lots of updates and pictures and can't wait to see the movie. :cool:

CathyBogart
02-10-2008, 06:13 PM
Congratulations to you and Joey! He sure lucked out. :)

Taz_Zoee
02-10-2008, 06:21 PM
Oh my goodness!! Congrats to you and Joey.
Welcome to a great PT family little Joey. It will be so much fun to watch him grow up, not that he will actually do too much growing. LOL
:D :D

*LabLoverKEB*
02-10-2008, 06:25 PM
:o Oh, you rescued him?? I had no idea. I thought you got the puppy from a breeder... So so so sorry. :o :o

Freedom
02-10-2008, 07:06 PM
He is SO sweet! He is also VERY young to be separated from his brother. You may need to work on socializing him as you only have cats, no other dogs. He will be missing all his socialization training among other things.

kt_luvs_kitties
02-10-2008, 08:43 PM
Thank you all for the nice comments. He sure was a mess last night! He woke me every 2 hours, but he just wanted to be held. He is eating well, pooping GREAT (4 times today alone!). He is also doing fairly well with the housebreaking, I mean, he has accidents, BUT if he is close to his puppy pad, he uses it. He is so young that accidents will happen. I understand that.

I am keeping him seperate away from all kitties, unless I am sitting with him in my lap. I just figure if I try to keep kitties away completely, their desire to get to puppy will get overwhelming :p They just sniff him and maybe give him a lick. So no hissing or anything.

I was thinking about once he goes to the vet, and gets his complete shots, I will socialize him much more. I am scared he might catch something. My neighbor has a very friendly golden retriever, that I can let Joey play with ONCE he gets a little bigger. And most of my neighbors have small pups as well. One question.... Is it rude to ask someone if their dogs are UTD on shots? How do I ask that BEFORE interaction?

Well, anyways, Thank you all again, and I will keep updates coming. HUGS- Katie and kitties AND pup too!@

CountryWolf07
02-10-2008, 09:03 PM
GOODNESS! How freaking adorable!!!!!!!! :)

WELOVESPUPPIES
02-11-2008, 06:43 AM
Congradulations!! He is a SUPER CUTIE!!! I would have chosen the chocolate too :D There is nothing rude about asking if someones dog is UTD on shots. All you are doing is protecting your baby and if they are a caring pet owner they did the same when their dog/s were pups.

Just a little advice, when he cries at night you really don't want to get up and hold him. All that does is encourage him to cry. You need to ignore him. Eventually he will stop realizing you are not going to let him out until it is time. Is he crated at night? Even if you have to put him up during the day time because you cannot supervise him and he is crying do not let him out until he stops, even if you are ready for him to come back out. He will get the message that everytime he cries you will do what he wants and you will end up frustrated because all he will do is cry.

One thing to watch when they are this young and tiny is their food intake. Hypoglycemia is a not a thing to mess with, signs are lethergy, then coma and possible result in death. It is not good and can happen really fast! Be sure he is eating well and if you have to give him a sugar boost keep nutrical on hand (or even Karo syrup). I leave food down for Chopper 24/7 so he can pick when he wants. Of course now at 10 months I know how much he eats in a day.

Potty box training is a good idea too, prevents missing the pad accidents. I just use puppy pads inside the box.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask, and again CONGRADULATIONS!! Welcome to PT Joey!!!!

Pawsitive Thinking
02-11-2008, 06:48 AM
Hello Joey!! what a cutie you are

Good luck Mom with your new baby ;)

Daisy and Delilah
02-11-2008, 04:12 PM
Awwwwwwww!!! What a little baby doll!! He is adorable. I want to eat him up ;)

Delilah was already 2 when I got her but Daisy was a baby. I don't remember too much about it though. Sorry about that. I was scared to death myself and what I needed to do seemed to come naturally, thank goodness. My biggest fear was hurting her because she was so tiny. I found that she would get out of the way most of the time. I'm sure all pups aren't like that, however. I know Delilah has to be coaxed to move sometimes :rolleyes:

I have spoiled Daisy rotten. She is a Chihuahua and they love to be held and cuddled 24/7. They're rooters and burrowers and love to be under the covers while you're sleeping. I have given in to all of this. I can never get upset with her(she is a little sweetheart). I am really bad to give advice about proper training :(
To add: her big sister is spoiled rotten too.

All I can say is just love him and enjoy him. He is a precious doll and I can't wait to see him grow up. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! :D

sparks19
02-11-2008, 05:19 PM
O....M....G

He is the cutest, tiniest little boy I have ever seen.

can't wait to see more pics

K9karen
02-11-2008, 07:16 PM
OMG! Joey's adorable! I love his big eyes! I feel like dunking him in my coffee and eating him up too!

Animalhouse26
02-11-2008, 08:25 PM
Awww, Yay to picking the Chocolate!! And One thing to help with the Crying.. I don't know if your planning on Crate training.. But I would. And if so, Put a Ticking Clock in the crate under a Pillow or something.. It mimics the sound of Momma's heart, and is sometimes calming to them :-) And good luck!

Chica
02-11-2008, 08:36 PM
I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!!!!I GOT BOTH MY CHIHUAHUA'S AT 10 WEEKS OLD AND THEY EACH WEIGHED 2 POUNDS.
CHICA 10 WKS
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v415/chica1/chica14wkssmall.jpg
COCO 10 WKS
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v415/chica1/brownie14-1.jpg

THIS IS THEM NOW!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v415/chica1/thegirls1.jpg
THEY REALLY THRIVE!!!

bckrazy
02-12-2008, 12:27 AM
Joey is VERY CUTE! Congratulations. I think you made the right choice. ; )

However... I have to agree... 7 weeks is incredibly young to take a puppy away from the litter, especially a toy breed. Eating solids is not the big deal. Socialization IS. He needs to be around other puppies and adult dogs, to learn how to be a dog, and to learn essential manners.

You should be safe about where you take him and who he interacts with, but socializing your puppy is much more important than being neurotic about diseases. Simply ask the other dog owner, "Is your dog vaccinated? Because my puppy hasn't finished his shots." No biggie. I would be alarmed if the owner of a 7 week old puppy DIDN'T ask me that first. It is very important that his interactions are only with well-mannered, friendly dogs, and with other puppies. Enroll him in a good puppy play class. It actually is a big deal when a puppy is taken away from their siblings & mother too early, even if the mother didn't nurse him; hence the law in many states (mine included) that prohibits the sale of puppies under 8 weeks, and that is a bare minimum age.

kimlovescats
02-12-2008, 09:02 AM
The chocolate was my favorite too. Congratulations! He's a cutie pie! I personally would not let him around any other dogs until he's had shots. I hated taking Betina just to the vet's office without her 1st shots (from my vet)!!!

Have fun!

critter crazy
02-12-2008, 09:54 AM
What a cutie!!!:D Congrats!!

kt_luvs_kitties
02-12-2008, 10:07 PM
Thank you all for your comments and advice. I am crate training him, and he is just Terrible about it. I am trying to keep strong and NOT pick him up, and he can cry for hours on end... I never knew training a puppy was this hard :eek: But I just feel it is the best thing for him. Anyways, I am going to start a new thread with more pictures! Thank you again for the advice! Kt and kitties and Joey! :D

kt_luvs_kitties
02-12-2008, 10:09 PM
I forgot to say that I do take him daily to visit his brother.... And his first vet appointment is Friday afternoon :D

AnimalLuver90
02-12-2008, 10:17 PM
awwwww