PDA

View Full Version : A Confession to Make About My Own Stupidity

Twisterdog
02-09-2008, 07:03 PM
Remember a thread I posted a while ago, stating that my computer was booting up very slowly and asking for advice?

Many people offered great suggestions, and I tried them all. Nothing worked. In fact, it kept getting slower and slower and slower ... until one day it wouldn't turn on at all.

Funny thing was, I could hear it running, and it sounded like the perfectly normal boot-up sequence. Puzzling. Just as I was about to give up and go buy an entirely new system ... I happened to glance at the monitor. The little green light was flashing, and I swear it had always been a steady green before. So, I thought I'd turn it off and back on. But it wouldn't turn off, either.

Hmmmm ... so I go down to Staples and buy a new monitor. And guess what, THAT was the problem, not the tower at all. :o How embarrassing! So I had to confess my computing sins.

Freedom
02-09-2008, 07:19 PM
I hear ya! I sometimes feel like a re-incarnation of the women of my mother's generation -- you know, the ones who can drive but don't know what goes on under the hood? I know a bit about my car but

I only know how to 'drive' my computer, don't have a clue what goes on under the CPU! ;) so I don't even realize when the problem is NOT the CPU. :rolleyes:

i bet we are part of a very large, not so exclusive club!

Taz_Zoee
02-09-2008, 07:21 PM
Don't be embarrassed about that. I mean, after all, the people that gave you advice never thought it was just the monitor either. :)

dukedogsmom
02-09-2008, 09:12 PM
I wouldn't have known that, either. I'm glad it was something so simple. I'm sure your wallet is, too.

kitten645
02-09-2008, 10:11 PM
Hey, I've kicked the cord loose on a monitor and very nearly went to buy a new one! Doh! :rolleyes:

smokey the elder
02-10-2008, 08:04 AM
At work I move my feet around under my desk and keep pulling out the mouse cable. Time for a wireless mouse! :p

Jessika
02-10-2008, 01:54 PM
At least you found out it was a cheaper problem and only needed a new monitor versus a new computer! :)

CountryWolf07
02-10-2008, 02:15 PM
Hey, that's okay! At least it was simple. :)

ramanth
02-10-2008, 02:17 PM
Awww! I've been there.