lizbud
02-08-2008, 04:38 PM
I'll never understand this culture. :( How can a humane society
tolerate this behavior?

http://abcnews.go.com/International/story?id=4261023&page=1

Argranade
02-08-2008, 05:43 PM
Those people are crazy,

They were letting tigers ride small horses & pulled on the poor bears necks!

I hate them, It seems China is one of the worst places in the world for animal cruelty.

Not saying that all the people in China want this cruelty but most don't care.

They cook kittens alive, skin animals alive, eat animals alive.... do they have no heart!

Obviously not.... :mad:

CalliesMom
02-08-2008, 06:06 PM
I don't understand why you are stereotyping in this way. I have several Chinese friends (came here for graduate school from China) working in our laboratory and they are all very kind individuals. How can you say most of them don't care? Don't blame a WHOLE country of people for the things others do.

I find this "zoo" just as repulsive as everyone else. But, Argranade, if we follow your logic, then Americans are just as bad because there are people here within the U.S. who wear fur coats (= us torturing animals for their fur). Also, we have animal hoarders here who keep their animals in horrible condition, so Americans AS A WHOLE must treat animals badly.

That logic makes no sense. Don't hate a group of people based upon their country of origin. :(

Giselle
02-08-2008, 09:58 PM
Wow. I'm really trying not to be offended by these comments. I am Chinese, by the way.

China, in my opinion, is a very complex nation still in development. The government does not, for the most part, treat its citizens with respect, and that's saying it very lightly. In an attempt to curb the population growth, the government has used force tactics to get women to abort their children. Dissidents against this practice are placed under house arrest and blacklisted. China's economy may be boosting now, but the vast majority of China's population is still in poverty and the wealth distribution is far from even. Human dignity simply does not exist.

Does it sound like this country has the ability or means or even desire to halfway treat its animals humanely? I'm afraid not. Do I agree with it? Of course not, but you have to look at the WHOLE picture. And, yes, our culture does condone the use of odd animal parts, and, in my opinion, it is wrong. You may not understand it, but I'd appreciate it if you didn't make generalizations.

Lilith Cherry
02-09-2008, 03:16 AM
Well said, Giselle! Although I am not Chinese, I do live here in China and can tell that most educated Chinese people ( and even some less lucky) do not condone this mistreatment of animals. Many have well-loved pets of their own which are treated just as well as our own pets. Sadly though, I must agree with Giselle that with a government that does not respect human life as it should society is hardly likely to be in a position to help the animals very much. I have seen small children made to "perform" in the street to earn money and they are not treated any better than the animals ! Hopefully, as China becomes more open, things will change for the better. In the meantime please do not be insulting to the Chinese and say you hate them. You may hate what is happening but to hate a People does not solve anything and working toward a solution is a much better path to take.

IRescue452
02-09-2008, 08:39 PM
I'll bet you any amount that most of the zoos visitors are NOT Chinese.

caseysmom
02-09-2008, 09:36 PM
Well I think you could take a segment of any culture and focus on that negative segment, of course there are negatives in all human nature. It is really bad to generalize and hate a people because of it. If that were the case we ourselves are no doubt hated.

kitten645
02-09-2008, 10:15 PM
Well I do think there should be sanctions against China until their human and animal rights issues are addressed. As it is now, they have a booming economy squarley shouldered by abused people and animals. I'm glad Sir Paul is boycotting the Olympic's and I hope many more follow suite.
Claudia

Miss Z
02-10-2008, 06:26 AM
I cringed when I saw the bears on the video. Poor things looked like they were choking and scared stiff. And the movement of those little ponies carrying the tigers was awful, it looked as if their legs may snap they were so rigid.

It'll never close down, though, until Western tourists stop paying big money to see it. That's the real issue, not necessarily any alleged Chinese corruption. :(

lizbud
02-15-2008, 09:30 AM
I guess the answer is China is NOT a humane society & I should not
expect they would treat their people any better than they treat animals.

For an insight into Chinese government thinking, check this out.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/02/14/chinese.women.ap/index.html?eref=ib_topstories

Lilith Cherry
02-16-2008, 09:07 AM
Lizbud, that quote is over 35 years old; do you think the USA is still exactly the same as it was then? Why then, do you think China has not changed too? It still has a very long way to go I agree but you are not helping by making negative comments about HISTORY! I do not mean to offend you but please think about it.

moosmom
02-16-2008, 10:21 AM
Giselle,

Couldn't have said it better!

While I don't condone it, and I think it's inhumane...every country has it's own culture.