PDA

View Full Version : ***UPDATE, POST #50*** Please Pray For Harley (lady's Baby)

Reachoutrescue
02-08-2008, 03:28 PM
I am sure all of you remember Lady's baby, Harley. He was adopted out to a great family in Oak Forest, IL. Harley is in touble. He ate a doll of their daughters and got into some stuff outside and had to have surgery. The family went to three different vets, all wanted $2500 and $3700, the family just could not pay that. They finally went to Animal welfare League. At first they wanted Al (the owner) to sign Harley over to them, they'd do the surgery, and adopt him out. He said absolutely not! So they said they would do the surgery for $400, so Al agreed. The surgery was done on Tuesday morning and he seemed to be doing okay. They removed plastic (from a doll), tin foil, and grass clippings as well as 2 1/2 ft of his small intestine. Yesterday they fed him and he threw up, his stomach was all bloated. The doctor was unreachable by Al so he went up there to see him today. He asked the nurse what she thought, if they should euthanize him to end his suffering. She said she wouldn't if he was hers. They left, 20 mins later the vet calls him and said Harley was dying and the best thing would be to put him down. He called me, I told him to take his dog out of there and bring him to my vet. He did and my vet said she needs to go back in and see what is going on and try to fix him internally, because nothing can be done externally. Al agreed, knowing he would die without help and that he may die on the table. I just spoke to Al's wife, Lisa. The vet assistant called her in the middle of surgery to give her news. Upon opening Harley up the vet found urine and feces oozing out of him, his bowels were cut open. His small intestine was not sutured properly and it was erupting. Dr. Greeley resutured everything and is now closing him up. He was still alive at that time. Dr. Greeley will call Lisa and Al in about an hour with the final results. This poor boy was butchered by the AWL Vet, Dr. Greeley confirmed that.

Please pray for Harley. He is only 11 months old and so full of life. Please pray and ask Lady to let her son stay here with the Gustafsin family. They love him so much. Thank you all so much.

HARLEY http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n194/Reachoutrescue/RecentRescues001.jpg
HARLEY AND HIS SISTERS http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n194/Reachoutrescue/RecentRescues003.jpg

Jadapit
02-08-2008, 03:38 PM
Omg, that is just awful! Poor sweet, Harley. My thoughts and prayers are with him and his human family. I'm so glad they took him to your vet.

kittycats_delight
02-08-2008, 03:42 PM
we will be praying for Harley you can count on it Tracy. What a beautiful boy he is.

I hope there is going to be some kind of action take against the vet at the AWL. If Harley does make it it is on his head. This vet should not be allow to practice. I don't get it but the AW always seems to find the worse vets on the planet to do their vet work. :confused:

Come on Harley get well little man. You belong here still and your family loves you to pieces. Come on sweetheart.

cassiesmom
02-08-2008, 03:58 PM
Come on Harley get well little man. You belong here still and your family loves you to pieces. Come on sweetheart.

Harley, sweet boy, I am praying for you and your family.

Freedom
02-08-2008, 04:13 PM
Harley, we are praying hard for you to get well, here in RI.

Taz_Zoee
02-08-2008, 04:35 PM
LES and :mad:

Come on little Harley, you can make it. I will be thinking of you.

Daisy and Delilah
02-08-2008, 04:42 PM
How awful, Tracy!!! That poor little doggie has gone through a terrible time. I am praying with all my strength that he's going to be okay. I feel so bad for him. He looks just like his Mama :( :( :(

Grace
02-08-2008, 05:52 PM
Prayers for Harley and his family.

Cincy'sMom
02-08-2008, 06:31 PM
How awful! Lots of prayers for Harley and his family.

WELOVESPUPPIES
02-08-2008, 06:47 PM
Dear Sweet Harley, I will be thinking and praying for you to get well soon and go home to live a long happy fun filled life with the Gustafsin family. Giant ((hugs)) sweetheart.

Catty1
02-08-2008, 09:25 PM
PRAYERS for Harley!

Is there any recourse against the first vet???? :mad: I can't see any vet doing such a poor job just because they didn't get the money they wanted to charge.

...gawd...

Reachoutrescue
02-08-2008, 09:40 PM
I spoke with Lisa and Al a little bit ago. They said when the vet called she was in tears. There was so much toxins and "crap" coming out of Harley during surgery. She did what she could and closed him up. He came out of surgery alive. He is now on a heating pad, as is tempature is only at 98 degrees. He has antibiotics running in him to try to get rid of the toxins she could not remove, and he is on fluids. They sent blood out to see if he is low on any proteins and to see if he needs a blood donor. If he does, Scruff will donate if he is a match, if not she has other donor dogs. The vet said he has a 50/50 chance. We won't know anything until the morning. The vet said if the sutures hold in his intestines, and the antibiotics clean up the toxins, he will make it. Thank you for all your thoughts and prayers. Please keep praying. Thank you.

Jadapit
02-08-2008, 09:48 PM
Oh my gosh, that made me cry. I will keep praying for sweet Harley. Stuff like this is so heartbreaking. :(

Karen
02-08-2008, 09:53 PM
Poor baby! He'll be in our prayers.

Seravieve
02-08-2008, 10:05 PM
:eek:

That just kills me to read.. I cant BELIEVE any "vet" would do that to a dog!
Im just in shock. And I feel so bad for Harley's parents.. that would just be nerve-racking to have a dog in that state... after putting him in someone's hands who you thought would take care of him. Just devastating. Is there vet-malpractice? Thats just ridiculous.

Im so glad your vet was able to help.. save his life hopefully. I have me fingers crossed and the pups all have their toes crossed. Poor little guy..

K9karen
02-09-2008, 12:16 AM
I want to freakin scream. :mad:

The family must be devastated. Of course I will keep Harley and his family in my prayers and thoughts.

jennielynn1970
02-09-2008, 12:54 AM
Oh that poor poor boy... after all he had been through, and then for a vet to treat him that callously. I hope that he does survive and the family finds out if there is any kind of malpractice suit that can filed on behalf of harley.

krazyaboutkatz
02-09-2008, 01:04 AM
This is horrible.:( I hope that he'll pull through and that they're able to file a malpractice suit against the other vet. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way.

DJFyrewolf36
02-09-2008, 05:57 AM
Poor boy...bless the other vet for trying to patch Harley up. Sadly vets are people too and there are always going to be bad apples :(.
Prayers on the way!

chocolatepuppy
02-09-2008, 06:07 AM
How awful. :( Prayers for Harley.

kallisto4529
02-09-2008, 07:16 AM
Poor Harley!!! Surely there is something that can be done to that other vet. God bless your vet for trying to save this poor little guy. That just makes me so mad and just breaks my heart that someone can be so cruel to do that to him when he was there for help. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts.
Come on Harley, you are a fighter you can beat this!!!!!

Queen of Poop
02-09-2008, 10:37 AM
Prayers for Harley. Come on little guy, you're young and strong, fight back buddy.

Daisy and Delilah
02-09-2008, 02:07 PM
Still praying for Harley. Feel better Sweetheart!!!!! :( :( :(

Reachoutrescue
02-09-2008, 03:43 PM
I just got back from seeing Harley. He was up in his cage, waging his tail. He looks so sad and sick. They brought him out and he went straight up to Lisa and Al. He gave us all kisses. The vet said he is doing good, but is not out of the woods yet. He has to fight off the toxins, eat and keep it down, and poop. They gave him ice chips and he threw them up. We are hopeful, but still so worried. He is a very sick dog right now. Come on Harley...you can pull through, you have to.

Here are some pictures of him I took today. The bill is very expensive and I am starting a fund for him called "The Fight For Harley Fund". I will be posting it on my main website. If anybody can help the Gustafson's with this large bill, please let me know and I will give you the vet info. Thank you all so much.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n194/Reachoutrescue/Harley005.jpghttp://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n194/Reachoutrescue/Harley004.jpg
Harley's Incision http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n194/Reachoutrescue/Harley002.jpg
Harley and Al http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n194/Reachoutrescue/HarleyandAl.jpg

cyber-sibes
02-09-2008, 03:47 PM
Poor Harley, but at least he has a fighting chance now that he is getting proper care. We'll keep him in our prayers.

chocolatepuppy
02-09-2008, 03:50 PM
I will continue to keep Harley in my prayers. He just has to make it.

kittycats_delight
02-09-2008, 03:57 PM
That last picture with Al had me bawling like a baby. You can see how much Al loves him just by the way he holding him. I am pretty sure by the posture there were tears and Al was begging him to get better.

That poor poor boy. I am praying so hard for him. Those sad eyes just tear my guts out. I know Lady is watching over her little man and encouraging him every step of the way to get well.

Tracy I really really hope he can get over this. I get so angry just thinking of what the AWL vet has done to him.

Get well Harley love...you have to do it not just for you but for Al & Lisa and for your mamma who is watching over you from RB.

(((HUGS))) for you Tracy and please when you see him again tell him he is a special special pupper and has touched the heart of so many he hasn't even met. Give him a kiss on his gorgeous head for me.

Michelle

Scooter's Mom
02-09-2008, 04:16 PM
That last picture with Al had me bawling like a baby. You can see how much Al loves him just by the way he holding him. I am pretty sure by the posture there were tears and Al was begging him to get better.

That's exactly how I read the photo too...

I am praying that Harley beats this. If prayers can work a miracle... watch out.

Jadapit
02-09-2008, 04:42 PM
I too, started crying at the picture of Harley and Al. The whole thing is so, so heartbreaking. Pit bulls are tough, I know Harley is going to make it he has to. He looks so sad, the poor baby.

Harley is still in my thoughts and prayers!

Catty1
02-09-2008, 07:26 PM
{{{{hugs}}}} and prayers that Harley comes around soon.

ramanth
02-09-2008, 07:50 PM
I have been there. :( :( :( Oh Harley!! How terrible of a thing for you to go through. I pray you'll beat this and get better.

I'll see what I can scrape together to help.

krazyaboutkatz
02-09-2008, 08:03 PM
I sure hope that Harley continues to get better each day. I'll continue to keep him in my thoughts and prayers.

Reachoutrescue
02-10-2008, 08:03 PM
Seeing Harley yesterday was both hard and heart warming on all of us. There were a lot of tears shed at his condition as well as his progress. Just two days after surgery, Harley is walking and wagging his tail. Al and Lisa went to see him today and told me that the vet gave him baby cereal mixed with water and a dairy supplement. He ate that in the morning and again around 1pm. He managed to keep it down!! It is looking hopeful, but he is not out of the woods yet. I am going to see him tomorrow, I will post after my visit. Thank you everybody for your kind thoughts and prayers. Harley, Al, Lisa, and I really appreciate all your support.

Queen of Poop
02-10-2008, 08:10 PM
Come on Harley, you're young and very strong, you can get past this. Praying for you in Cold Canada sweetie pie. Love you. Sasha says Woo Hoo.

Seravieve
02-10-2008, 09:01 PM
Thats so good to hear that he's keeping baby cereal down!
Aww I hope he pulls through..
Stupid 'discount' vet.. sheesh. :mad:

Catty1
02-10-2008, 09:04 PM
HUGS and more prayers. Very hopeful news.

I would hope Al and Lisa can recoup some of the extreme expense from the former vet. Can the present vet send the report over to the organization he does the surgery for?

I will help out where I can...but this expense would not have been incurred if the other vet had done this properly to begin with!

Tracey, is anything happening on that front?

Keep on goin', Harley - you are almost there! :)

luvofallhorses
02-10-2008, 09:17 PM
omg poor Harley and his family! :( It makes me sick that the vets would ask for money instead of intending to save him! :mad: I will pray my hardest that he makes it, he has to. please give him a kiss from me when you see him. get well soon Harley!

cassiesmom
02-10-2008, 09:24 PM
Just two days after surgery, Harley is walking and wagging his tail.

Yaaaaaaaay! That-a-boy, Harley! Fingers and paws are crossed!

Reachoutrescue
02-10-2008, 10:17 PM
I will help out where I can...but this expense would not have been incurred if the other vet had done this properly to begin with!

Tracey, is anything happening on that front?

I have talked with my sister who works for the newspaper out here. We will be spreading the news of this horrible so called vet. Also, the Gustafson family is speaking with lawyers regarding this. We are not going to let them get away with this. But right now, our main concern is making sure Harley gets well, justice will come later.

Thank you all for your kind words.

jennielynn1970
02-10-2008, 11:33 PM
Poor Harley... such a sweet boy, he didn't deserve this. Will be keeping him in my thoughts and prayers.

I hope that something can be done about the vet... revocation of the license???

krazyaboutkatz
02-10-2008, 11:52 PM
I'm so glad to hear that he's doing much better and I hope that he'll continue to improve each day until he makes a full recovery.:) Lots more prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way. I also hope that the vet that did this to him will get whats coming to him.

pitc9
02-11-2008, 07:16 AM
I'm so sorry I'm only just now seeing this. I'm glad to hear Harley's doing better, I pray he keeps on getting better!!

{{HUGS}} to you, Harley and his family.

ramanth
02-11-2008, 09:52 AM
Many more prayers for Harley!

Pawsitive Thinking
02-11-2008, 10:09 AM
That does sound a bit more hopeful - keep fighting little Harley

Reachoutrescue
02-12-2008, 11:03 AM
I saw Harley yesterday and he is doing well. He threw up some food last night but Dr. Greeley thinks it is because she mixed in Milk Replacement and it just didn't mix well with the antibiotics. Today she gave him some A/D soft food mixed with hot water and he gulped it down, so far he has kept it down. Dr. Greeley will be out of town from tomorrow untill the end of the month with the American Veterinary Association so Harley is going home tomorrow with antibiotics and his IV. He is still not out of the woods, but it is more promising day by day. I am going to see him in a little while and will try to take pictures. I will post more later. Thank you all for your constant prayers and support. You guys are so wonderful. The Gustafson family and I really appreciate it.

pitc9
02-12-2008, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the promising update... prayers are being sent for Harley's continued progress!

Taz_Zoee
02-12-2008, 01:47 PM
Keep it up Harley. You'll be as good as new in no time. :)
I hope there's an alternate doctor that could provide care if needed while Dr Greeley is gone. I'd hate to see him decline in her absence. But that's NOT going to happen!! He is going to get better, darn it!! :D :D

Alysser
02-12-2008, 03:51 PM
I hope Harley keeps getting better!! :D

kallisto4529
02-15-2008, 12:19 AM
Any news on Harley?? How is he doing?

Reachoutrescue
02-19-2008, 08:54 PM
I am so sorry it has been so long. I have been so sick lately. I came down with a form of pnemonia the day Harley went home. I am doing much better now tho, just so tired.

Harley is doing very well. He is at home with his family. He is eating three times a day and keeping it down. The vet will be back on the 25th and we will know more then. I do know that he is going to get his stitches out on Friday by Dr. Wise (who retired but is filling in for Dr. Greeley in her absence). I spoke with the Gustafson's briefly today and they are very please with his progress. Once I am fully better, I will go and see him and take pictures for you all. Again, I apologize for my delayed update. So far it is still great news. Thank you for all your kind words and wonderful heartfilled prayers. This really was a PT miracle.

Thank you all.

bckrazy
02-19-2008, 09:03 PM
Wow... I feel so bad for Harley, and for his family, and for you. =( What a nightmare!

I'm so happy that adorable boy is feeling better. I would be willing to donate something to help, if you post the link.

Taz_Zoee
02-19-2008, 10:11 PM
Thank you for the update Tracy. And I'm sorry you were sick.:( It's going around big time.
I'm so happy that Harley is doing so well. Woo Hoo!! This is great!
Keep it up Harley, we're all pulling for you, Sweetie!! :D :D

Daisy and Delilah
02-19-2008, 10:13 PM
It really warms my heart to hear the update, Tracy. I'll keep praying for Harley. I sure hope you feel better soon. {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

kallisto4529
02-20-2008, 02:42 AM
Thank you so much for the update, I am so sorry you were so sick, I truly hope you are much better and out of the woods yourself
That is such great news about Harley, you go boy!!!!!!! You keep it up and you will be 100% before you know it.

Still keeping the prayers and positive thoughts coming.

cassiesmom
02-20-2008, 04:39 PM
Yay, Harley!! and Tracy, I hope you feel much better soon!

LisaGustafson
02-28-2008, 03:07 PM
Hi Everyone!!! My name is Lisa and I'm Harley's Mom!!! I finally had the opportunity to log myself into and sign-up for this website!! Sorry it took me so long! Al and I would like to express our appreciation to each and everyone of you that has extended your prayers and good wishes for our little guy, Harley!! I cannot even tell you how happy we are to have our little guy back!! Tracy from Outreach Rescue was our life saver!! It was truly a miracle that he made it! Just to update all of you, he is doing great! Al took him to the vet yesterday and he got all but 2 staples out of his tummy and Dr. Greeley said he's kind of a slow healer! She is concerned about him not gaining too much weight though, so we are going to try and change his food and see if that helps. Overall, Dr. Greeley said he's doing great and should be gaining weight in no time. He is truly being treated like a baby at home, as before we go to bed each night, he gets fresh blankets STRAIGHT OUT OF THE DRYER in his cage. He snuggles up and sleeps like a baby every night! Every morning when we come down the steps, he's standing in his cage with his tail going in big circles!! So, that's the latest and thanks to all of you again for your support and kind gestures throughout this whole ordeal!! You all made it alot easier for Al and I and we appreciate your concern! :) :D

cassiesmom
02-28-2008, 06:08 PM
before we go to bed each night, he gets fresh blankets STRAIGHT OUT OF THE DRYER in his cage
Wow! How nice and snuggly that must be!! And Harley, try to eat so you'll come in at the proper weight next time you are on the vet's scale. Good nutrition for healing, y'know.

Taz_Zoee
02-28-2008, 06:13 PM
Welcome to PT Lisa! It's great that you've joined. :)
Thank you for the update on Harley. I am so glad to hear he is doing so well. And a little spoiling is just fine. I hope you will browse this site and enjoy it as much as many of us do. Hugs to Harley!! :D :D

Jadapit
02-28-2008, 06:13 PM
I'm so glad you posted to give us on update on Harley. I'm happy to hear he is doing well. Such wonderful news!!! Please post some pictures of him. I love that guy. :D

loveallfurryfriends
02-28-2008, 06:41 PM
I'm just now seeing this thread, but I'm so glad to see that Harley is doing better. He is with such a wonderful family! Keep it up big guy!!!

chocolatepuppy
02-28-2008, 06:43 PM
It's great to hear Harley is doing well! Welcome to Pet Talk Lisa! We hope you stick around! :D

Catty1
02-28-2008, 08:38 PM
Al and Lisa, welcome to Pet Talk! I don't know if Tracy told you, but pictures are a mandatory part of membership! :D

That tail going in circles sounds like the best news in the world!

Yay Harley!

Karen
02-28-2008, 08:42 PM
How good to hear such a positive update! Thank you, and welcome! :)

K9karen
02-29-2008, 12:00 AM
:) :) I'm so happy Harley is recovering in your loving arms, with good food and warm blankies!!!! (I won't tell my Logan) Continued prayers for a full recovery (and no more missing doll heads) Gentle hugs on ya, Harley!!! Welcome to PT Lisa and Al!!!! Warning: Addiction

RobiLee
02-29-2008, 05:50 AM
Sounds like things are going well for Harley. Welcome to Pet Talk, Lisa!

pitc9
02-29-2008, 07:29 AM
YEAHHHH!!
Tracy I'm sorry to hear that you've been ill, I hope you're feeling back to normal soon! Sometimes these things hang on for what feels like for EVER!!

I'm SO happy to hear Harley is doing well and I'm even MORE happy that you joined us here on PT Lisa!

I do hope you'll find time to post pictures!!
{{hugs}} to Harley!

Reachoutrescue
08-01-2008, 01:26 PM
I know I have not posted on PT in a long time, but there is an update on Harley in Dog Memorial.