PDA

View Full Version : hi, i'm new

primabella
08-16-2002, 07:51 PM
hi, i'm a new meber to the forum. i'm 14 and a huge animal lover. i have two birds and by next summer, my parents will most probably get us a dog. we are all leaning towards a shetland sheepdog, does anyone here have one and have any advice? it will be our first real dog? thanks:)

Kfamr
08-16-2002, 08:40 PM
Hi! Welcome to Pet Talk. No i';m sorry i don't have any advice. I am also 14. And i'm the proud owner of one SMART awesome 4 year old german shepherd pit bull mix. I really hope your parents do let you get a dog. If i was you i'd get a mutt, they are the best!!! Not only do they have their own unique looks but 99.9% of the time they are healthier then pure breeds. Here's a pic of my Simba.
http://simbalou.homestead.com/files/DSCF0030.JPG

primabella
08-16-2002, 09:04 PM
thanks for the advice, but after looking at a few mixes (which i personally also think are better) i think a sheltie fits our family lifestyle better and i have never seen any sheltie mixes over here.:cool:

primabella
08-16-2002, 09:04 PM
ps~ your simba is a cutie!:D

Logan
08-16-2002, 10:03 PM
Welcome to Pet Talk, Primabella. I am the proud "mom" to two Golden Retrievers, two cats, two Cockatiels and a hamster, plus my #1 human child, Helen. :D Good luck on getting the dog. I don't know where "over here" is as you don't have your location listed.

We look forward to hearing from you about your new dog when you get it!!! :)

Aspen and Misty
08-16-2002, 10:16 PM
We have a 10 year old Sheltie named Teddy Bear. He is a tri black. The best dog I have ever seen or owned. He has energy still at the age of ten. Do not get a Sheltie from a pet store. you need to get one from a good breeder because they have very bad hip problems and trust me you don't want your dog to have hip problems. Teddy is very patient with my dog chewy who is a Aussie mix. Chewy will bite Teddy pull on his fur, I mean Cheyw is just evil towards Teddy. But Teddy is very very well behaved with him never looses his temper but will put Chewy in his place. My mom used to own a day care and the kids loved to pull on Teddy's fur to stand up. Poor Teddy would just stand there get this look on his face like Mom please make them stop! But he never would bit and never would grawl he just would stand there. Sheltie ahve a alot od determanation. When one of his "sheep" (us kids or my mom) get lost he will spend hours looking for them. We hide my momtehr palces and say to Teddy, Teddy wheres mommy and he will find her. It once took him and hour to find her! :eek: . But my mom just sat in the closet reading lol. Well Gee i could go on and on about Teddy cause I love shelties! Is you have any questions about Sheltie's or Teddy feel free to ask.

Ashley

PS: I am also 14

Dixie Belle
08-17-2002, 12:12 AM
Hey! Welcome to Pet Talk! I'm 23, and the proud owner of one Dalmation, one St. Benard, two mutts, a ferret, and two cats. All of their names are in my signature. Good luck on finding the perfect pup for your family...and do take Aspen and Misty's advice...do NOT buy a pup from a pet store!

ellensy
08-17-2002, 05:04 AM
Originally posted by Dixie Belle
Hey! Welcome to Pet Talk! I'm 23, and the proud owner of one Dalmation, one St. Benard, two mutts, a ferret, and two cats. All of their names are in my signature. Good luck on finding the perfect pup for your family...and do take Aspen and Misty's advice...do NOT buy a pup from a pet store!

Do you have pics of your saint? :D :cool: :cool:

primabella
08-17-2002, 09:20 AM
thanks for all the welcomes everyone! and popcornbird, i have two budgies. it's close enough :rolleyes: heehee. i live over here in quebec, so sheltie's arn't so common. i am getting one from a breeder and i think she is the only one in the area.;)

wolf_Q
08-17-2002, 11:22 AM
Welcome to Pet Talk! Hope you get your sheltie! They are beautiful dogs--and we'd LOVE to see pics! :D

I guess I'm sort of a teenager too.....I'm 18.....but I can pretend I am 14. ;) I have 3 dogs: Reggie the 9 year old schnauzer, Smokey the 16 year old poodle, and Nebo the 12 week old siberian husky.

~~Amy :)

primabella
08-17-2002, 12:01 PM
thanks:D i know i'll constantly be following the dog around for pictures, so expect a lot:)
-primabella-

Aspen and Misty
08-17-2002, 02:01 PM
I love Shelties! Infact Teddy has been such a big infloince on my life I hope to eventually breed them! I would love to see pictures of your dog! I'm a sheltie freak! LOL. Well now i don't want you to think Teddy and Chewy are our only pets LOL. So here is a list of the rest of the pets who I get to shre my life with. Peaches a camilion Cream a red eyed tree frog (Peaches aand Cream live together in a tank in my sisters room) Melony and Hope two hooded rats. Guy a Oscar (fish) and Kitty a Cat fish and also 5 cats- Tundra, Misty, Hoss, Buddy and Smokey. Which makes 13 animals and 7 humans liveing in a very happy house! I hope you get a sheltie and I promise you will not be disapointed!

By the way, us pet talk people don't like pictures! We LOVE them! So post alot of picutres

primabella
08-17-2002, 02:51 PM
[/COLOR] lol, that is a lot of animals! hehe. all i have are two birds named rocket and sky. they're budgies, and sky was expected to have eggs, but she never layed them.:( i was hopin' to be a granny. hehe. we're six in the family and i can't imagine having more than two birds and a dog being with us, although i do like gecko's. ;)well thanks, and now i can't wait to get my dog! my mom used to have this cocker spaniel mix with a collie, and she was the most amazing dog ever. maybe that'd why i love sheltie's so much, because my mom's dog was small and looked most like a collie. well, i'm babbling. i'm sur ei'll like it on the bpard. i need a place where i can talk and show-off my dog as much as i can. (not the bad way of showing-off) do you have any pics of your dogs? i'de love to see them! well, cya!:)

Aspen and Misty
08-17-2002, 10:03 PM
I will hopefully have come this up comeing tuesday of all my pets But Guy Kitty Peaches and cream. I can't get pictures threw the fish tank and Peaches and the frog weren't out at the time. I will also have some of My half dog Sadie. she is a full blooded yellow lab! So be looking for a link that says my dogs. Thanx!

Ash

anna_66
08-18-2002, 07:58 AM
:o But welcome to Pet Talk! I'm Anna, and definately not a teenager any more, but I don't have any kids, so I may act like one sometimes!!
We have 3 dogs,
Angus & Roxey (Rottweiler & Siberian Husky):

And our newest, she's a rescue chow, her name is Huney:

tatsxxx11
08-18-2002, 08:18 AM
Welcome Primabella! I have 2 dogs, a Lab and a Husky/Shep, 2 kitties, 2 guinea pigs and a husband!:D I know you will make many wonderful friends here...we have a great group of Canadian Pet Talkers, to boot! Good luck with your doggie search! Shelites are terrific dogs!!:) Sandra[/B][/color]

Cincy'sMom
08-18-2002, 08:36 AM
Welcome Primabella. I have to lab mixes, Sadie an (almost)2 year old lab/dalmation and Cincy a 11 mos. old Lab/beagle? mix. I also have 3 fish. I don't know much about shletie, but they are beautiful dogs :)

primabella
08-18-2002, 10:06 AM
thanks everyone. your dogs are all adorable! cya:)

Albea
08-18-2002, 12:19 PM
Sorry I'm late in saying Welcome to Pet Talk. I have only one dog, an almost 10 year-old Golden Retriever. You can see her pictures, which I posted in the Dog General forum last week, if you look for the thread: "Carina's new pictures."
She was "Dog of the Day" on July 13, 2000.
Good luck in finding your puppy. I look forward to seeing his/her photos.

primabella
08-18-2002, 03:51 PM
thanks for the welcomes! carina is adorable:D i hope i'll get my dog, but i have to wait a whole year:( my parents don't wanna get it now because i'm starting school soon and then i'll be distracted with teaching the dog the commands and that stuff. *sigh* :D:D:D