PDA

View Full Version : So I do have a phobia.. never really realized it.

CountryWolf07
02-06-2008, 06:06 PM
Yep.. I finally accepted it. I have a phobia of speaking in front of people. I had a presentation to do today with a group in Art Philosophy, and when it came to be my turn, I was the last one, and I started speaking, then I FROZE, and I got so red, and started to laugh uncomfortably, and I said that I couldn't do this, and I am trying to get all the words out but they are coming out wrong, and I let someone else take over. Before it was my turn, I was fine, then when it got closer to my turn, my heart was beating faster.. and I was starting to get lightheaded over it.

How embarrassing. :(

Catlady711
02-06-2008, 06:58 PM
It could have been worse.

I have a HORRIBLE fear of speaking in public or even being up in front of people without speaking. I'll get nauseous, light headed, have a full panic attack, and this could even be a week before I'm supposed to actually do whatever it is.

About 15 years ago I got an award for a photo contest I entered. They had the award thing at the mall of all places so you know everyone was there watching to see what was going on. I didn't realize they were going to make each person come up one by one to get their awards with a ceremony!!! As it turned out when they called my name I started crying and (no joke) hid behind a fake plant in the corner and my mother, who came with me, had to go get my award for me. I was an adult well out of my teens and I'm hiding behind a plant in the mall crying. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Now THAT's a phobia!!

IRescue452
02-06-2008, 06:59 PM
The good thing is, you're not near alone. I always tried to do my speeches first, that way I don't have time to get nervous or lightheaded.

Cookiebaker
02-06-2008, 09:03 PM
You are definitely not alone in this! Once a month, I have to get up in Church and make a small presentation at the beginning of the service. I have learned that I really need to focus on my breathing before its my turn to go up, or else I end up very short of breath and gasping for air, and I get dizzy and it spirals down from there. :o

I also have a tendency to mix up my words....like I will end a phrase with a word that makes sense, but not the one that I wanted. Like once, I was trying to say "around the world" and instead I said "around the room" and other stupid things like that.

But the good news is, the more times that you do it, the more comfortable you get. :)

Taz_Zoee
02-06-2008, 09:58 PM
I don't know if I have the phobia, but I do know that when I speak in front of groups of people I speak VERY fast. So fast you usually can't understand me. I guess I just want to get it over with as quickly as possible.

Try the trick where you picture everyone in their underwear. I doubt that really works, but its just funny anyway. LOL

Karen
02-06-2008, 10:35 PM
I have never had that fear - I have been told by others that I am just not normal. But I have been speaking in front of people since I was 5 years old. When we were 5 (okay, I was *almost* 5), my friend Cassie and I had speaking parts in the Children's Sunday pageant-of-sorts in church. My mom told me someone said to her "Mrs. C is having two 5-year-olds speak? Is she crazy?" and my mom just said "You don't know these two particular 5-year-olds!"

What I tell others is focus on the exit sign at the back of the room, smile at it, talk to it, and everyone will be fooled thinking you're speaking to someone right behind them. And you won't have to look at anyone's face. Remember to breathe deep enough to feel your ribs expand, and speak slower than you think is right, and it'll be just fine.

K9karen
02-06-2008, 11:42 PM
*Sigh*. I've never had that problem. Sometimes I think I'm not normal. It comes too easy for me. That can be just as bad.

Catlady711
02-07-2008, 01:41 AM
But the good news is, the more times that you do it, the more comfortable you get. :)

Never worked that way for me before, if anything it gets worse.

I have never had that fear - I have been told by others that I am just not normal. But I have been speaking in front of people since I was 5 years old. When we were 5 (okay, I was *almost* 5), my friend Cassie and I had speaking parts in the Children's Sunday pageant-of-sorts in church. My mom told me someone said to her "Mrs. C is having two 5-year-olds speak? Is she crazy?" and my mom just said "You don't know these two particular 5-year-olds!"

What I tell others is focus on the exit sign at the back of the room, smile at it, talk to it, and everyone will be fooled thinking you're speaking to someone right behind them. And you won't have to look at anyone's face. Remember to breathe deep enough to feel your ribs expand, and speak slower than you think is right, and it'll be just fine.

Oh gosh Karen, that reminded me of something I did in Sunday School when I was like 5. They had a Father's Day thing going on and we had been working on a project for a couple weeks. The idea was we were supposed to get up in front of everyone, say our little 'speech' and give our gift to our father's (or in my case my grandpa). Mom dressed me all up really nice in a dress (now mind you I HATE dresses) she had my hair all done up and matching leotards.....

By this time you're wondering where I'm going with all this right? lol

Anyways the dress had pockets in it and I had my hands shoved way down in the pockets when my turn came up. I got up on the stage, took one look at all those faces looking at me, promptly raised my hands over my head (yes my hands were still in the pockets), whipped the little frilly dress over my face, :eek: said my speech, put the dress back down, then gave my gift to grandpa. Mom said she was SOOOO thankful she put leotards on me. ;) ROFL I actually remember doing this and at the time couln't figure out what was so funny that people were laughing. lol

I've had a fear of being in front of people for a LONG time, had full fledged panic attacks, been on tranquilizers for them (didn't work) and I've finally figured out that this is just how I am and live with it (avoiding any type of public speaking at all costs).

Pawsitive Thinking
02-07-2008, 10:06 AM
I don't think anyone likes speaking in public - I always work in the theory that "in an hours time it will all be over" ;)

krazyaboutkatz
02-07-2008, 11:46 AM
I can relate. I've always had a fear of public speaking. When I had to get up in front of the class to do book reports or other reports it was horrible. People would always tell me that they couldn't hear me so I had to keep on repeating myself and I tried to speak louder. Some of my teachers let me do my book reports only in front of them and this helped a lot.:)

Today it might be a little easier for me speak publicly but I wouldn't want to have to do this every day. I've also never had a problem with asking questions to some one who is public speaking. I can also speak in front of small groups without any problems. Hopefully you'll be more comfortable as the years go by.:)

Randi
02-07-2008, 01:54 PM
In Denmark, it's commom that someone close makes a speech at the party when someone gets confirmed, married or whatever. When my parents had been married for 25 years, I so wanted to make a speech for them, but I couldn't get up and do it. Also in a school I went to in Jutland for 6 months, the teacher "forced" us all to do a 2 min. speech - we could choose the subject. I found it really difficult to do, in spite of how well I knew the people and how much fun we had. At least I tried!

I have actually made a short speech later, but only to about 5-6 people - and after a few glasses of wine. ;)

Flatcoatluver
02-07-2008, 02:06 PM
*Shake's Head* Yep I have that phobia to. I tend to just stutter or forget my words. But no matter what I always end the presentation with having to go throw up. It got so bad, this was the main reason I decided to finish high school by going to a online high school.

I help teach classes for agility, and I never have a problem doing that, I figure it's because I feel safe in the place I am teaching.

Alysser
02-07-2008, 02:53 PM
I WAS just like you throughout elementary school and 6th grade, but by 7th grade we needed to do a lot of presentations that year and it helped me a great deal. Also, I just try and ignore it. I want to be an exotic reptile/mammal rescuer when I get older possibly and I want to educate the public about the cons of owning exotic pets, etc. I will need to preform in front of schools and other large groups so if I just keep thinking of that I'm fine. ;)