PDA

View Full Version : This can't be good....UPDATED

Queen of Poop
02-05-2008, 07:03 PM
Went to the doctor a week ago for the annual check up. Got a call from them this afternoon to see him tomorrow for lab results. Got to be something bad. They don't call you in for good news. Guess there will be no sleeping tonight.

dukedogsmom
02-05-2008, 07:05 PM
I won't tell you to try and relax because I know I wouldn't be able to. I just hope it's not really bad news. And don't forget PT prayers. They work wonders. Check in tomorrow after you get home, ok? Something that relaxes me is to get a coffee at the local coffee shop and sit there for a while. Maybe do something that relaxes you before your visit to the doctor.

Grace
02-05-2008, 07:15 PM
Do you know what lab test you had - glucose, cholesterol???

I think it's terrible of them not to give you some idea of what they want to see you about. When I had an elevated glucose, they called and told me the results, then had me go to the lab a week later for a repeat - to verify the results. Just as high blood pressure cannot be confirmed by one weird reading, a single lab test is not definitive. Request a 2nd test.

Do you ever request results be sent to you? You have every legal right to a copy - they are your test results. I always have a copy sent to me, and often get them before the doctor sees them. You can tell if the results are okay, as the normal limits are indicated next to each test.

Queen of Poop
02-05-2008, 07:26 PM
They did the same thing to me 2 years ago when they found a lump in my breast that ended up being removed. Except that call came on a Friday afternoon. I asked the girl if it was something bad, she said she could not tell me. So I wait, ever so patiently (said thru gritted teeth!)

Christiansmommy
02-05-2008, 07:39 PM
Ugh, I know how you feel!! When I was pregnant with Jeremy, after his 18 week ultrasound, they called (on a Friday!!), and said they needed to re-look at some things, but wouldn't tell me exactly what was wrong...that weekend was sooo hard to get through! They shouldn't be allowed to do that!! :rolleyes: He had "bright" looking kidneys on ultrasound, that did turn out to be a type of kidney disorder that he has....but that waiting was soooo hard!! I'll be thinking of you, hope all is well!!

CountryWolf07
02-05-2008, 07:51 PM
I will keep you in my good thoughts!

Hope everything goes well.

Alysser
02-05-2008, 08:12 PM
Hope everything is okay and it's nothing serious. Good luck!

Jessika
02-05-2008, 08:14 PM
Why can't they tell you over the phone??

*LabLoverKEB*
02-05-2008, 08:55 PM
I was wondering the same thing, Jessika... hmmm

Prayers and good thoughts on the way!

sparks19
02-05-2008, 09:18 PM
Oh I hope it is nothing....

I had some blood tests done once and the Dr called to say I needed to come into the office... and all it was was low iron :rolleyes:

I hate when they make people worry...don't they KNOW what that does to people?

Jessika
02-05-2008, 09:44 PM
I was wondering the same thing, Jessika... hmmm

Prayers and good thoughts on the way!
I just mean in general, though, why can't Dr's tell patients test results, whether they're good or bad, over the phone? I've never really understood that. I'd rather just know, good or bad, instead of sweating over it overnight or, worse still, over the weekend.

Karen
02-06-2008, 12:03 AM
Maybe it is just something they need to double check before they are sure of anything? We'll hope it's "nothing" or at least nothing bad.

krazyaboutkatz
02-06-2008, 01:00 AM
I sure hope that it's nothing serious. Good luck and please keep us updated.

moosmom
02-06-2008, 08:22 AM
You'll be in my thoughts and prayers, sweetie. It's probably nothing. TRY to get some sleep (I know, better said than done).

(((((((HUGS)))))))))

emily_the_spoiled
02-06-2008, 08:34 AM
The reason you don't get your test results over the phone is that it is not the doctor who is phoning you, usually it is the receptionist. By law only physician's are permitted to tell you test results because they have to be interpretted in light of your medical condition and history. Medical receptionist might know some stuff, but not at that level. Besides, how many of you have actually had a physician phone your home :rolleyes:

Good luck with the test results. I am sure that it is nothing serious.

Pawsitive Thinking
02-06-2008, 09:07 AM
They do seem to forget the impact that sort of phone call is going to have on the recipient :rolleyes:

Hope its nothing serious - do let us know

AmberLee
02-06-2008, 09:22 AM
~~~Pet Talk vibes~~~ coming your way. Good luck dear.

Grace
02-06-2008, 11:13 AM
Besides, how many of you have actually had a physician phone your home :rolleyes:

Waving hand in the air - on more than one occasion. We are also able to email to our Family Practice physician and get a response within 24 hours.

Queen of Poop
02-06-2008, 01:30 PM
3 more hours until my appointment. Needless to say, I'm a nervous wreck. It would be different if I felt sick somehow, but I just don't.

Queen of Poop
02-06-2008, 05:44 PM
My Vitamin D is low. I need to take extra supplements. This is bad for my bones, but the supplements should help. Why they couldn't have just told me that on the phone is stupid. Thanks all for your good thoughts, I will take the new supplements and be just fine.

Moesha
02-06-2008, 05:48 PM
What a relief that must have been to you. Glad the news wasn't that bad.

Grace
02-06-2008, 05:59 PM
My Vitamin D is low. I need to take extra supplements. This is bad for my bones, but the supplements should help. Why they couldn't have just told me that on the phone is stupid. Thanks all for your good thoughts, I will take the new supplements and be just fine.

This way they get to charge you for another office visit http://bestsmileys.com/medical/2.gif
Did they tell you to have the test repeated in a few months - to make sure the level goes up?

Edwina's Secretary
02-06-2008, 06:23 PM
This is a true story....when I was in college I hurt my foot in PE class. Landed on the side of it. Hurt like mad. So I went to the student health center where they took an x-ray.

As the day progressed it hurt more and more. I was in my dorm...AT THE OTHER END OF THE LARGE CAMPUS...when I got a call from the health center.

They instructed me to report to them the next day. I was in so much pain. I had no car and there was no bus or the like. So finally I called a guy I had dated a time or two who I knew had a car. He was a Christian Scientist and was not happy about it, but agreed to drive me to the health center the next day.

I got there. They told me I had broken a bone in my foot. What to do about it? Nothing. If it hurt too much I could get an Ace and wrap it.

Why couldn't they tell me that over the phone??? :confused: :mad: :confused:

So...I feel your pain..... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Ginger's Mom
02-06-2008, 07:02 PM
Glad to hear it was nothing too serious. It really is a shame that the doctor couldn't have gone over that over the phone (unless they are giving you a prescription for the supplements).

Queen of Poop
02-06-2008, 08:39 PM
No prescription and no advise on a follow up test. But a huge sense of relief that everything is ok but this. Thanks again everyone.

kitten645
02-06-2008, 11:53 PM
Oh my goodness I can relate. I went in for a regular physical a few years back and got a call on a Fri afternoon that they were concerned with my blood tests and to come back Monday. If I had any "symptoms" I should call 911 immediately!!!!!!! I spent all weekend a wreck...hmmm..my hand feels cold..wonder it THAT is a symptom?!! SYMPTOM OF WHAT! Turns our my glucose was high and upon retesting it was fine! Oy vey!
ES, I can relate to your foot too. I got run over by a bike messanger and hurt my foot. I went to the ER where they took xrays. Then they sent me to urgent care which was a BLOCK away down hill (IN SF!) with no assistance. I had to hop down the hill on one foot with my sister propping me up! Turns out it was broken!
Glad it wasn't serious QofP!
Claudia

Pawsitive Thinking
02-07-2008, 05:08 AM
Phew! All that worry for nothing :rolleyes: Glad it wasn't anything too nasty

pitc9
02-07-2008, 09:23 AM
I'm glad to hear it was nothing serious!

carole
02-07-2008, 07:54 PM
I have the same problem as you, vitamin D deficiency, it is becoming very common, i take a supplement prescribed one pill once a month.

Medusa
02-07-2008, 08:14 PM
I'm not sure how I missed this. Probably because I've been wrapped up in my son's situation. I was just about to post a reply to tell you that I would say prayers for you when I saw your followup. I'm so glad things turned out ok.

K9karen
02-07-2008, 08:57 PM
Geesh, I don't know which is worse, the waiting, or being told on the phone, at work, that "it looks like it may be cancer" and have an appointment made for a week later!

Despite what you went through, I'm thrilled the diagnosis is treatable.

sparks19
02-07-2008, 10:52 PM

OH I'm so glad... that is just like the time my iron was low. I was living in the US by the time they called about my tests... so they called me IN THE STATES and told me I had to come back for my results.

It's insane.

I'm so glad it's nothing serious.

I hope you gave them a tongue lashing for what they put you through

kimlovescats
02-08-2008, 10:38 AM
Unfortunately it is common practice to get a phone call for any results that aren't negative. It scares the heck out of you in the meantime! :rolleyes: I'm so glad and relieved for you! Now take that Vitamin D pill right now, girl! ;)

Kim

Queen of Poop
02-08-2008, 01:38 PM
Unfortunately it is common practice to get a phone call for any results that aren't negative. It scares the heck out of you in the meantime! :rolleyes: I'm so glad and relieved for you! Now take that Vitamin D pill right now, girl! ;)

Kim

You'll be glad to know I'm taking the Vitamin D faithfully every time I take a calcium pill. Thanks for caring!

carole
02-08-2008, 02:34 PM
Gayle i am curious as i have the same problem, do you take a pill daily, i only take one pill once a month, they are prescribed for me and are colecalciferol.

Queen of Poop
02-08-2008, 07:04 PM
Gayle i am curious as i have the same problem, do you take a pill daily, i only take one pill once a month, they are prescribed for me and are colecalciferol.

The doctor told me to pick up supplements at the health food store. I take 2 calciums a day and take a Vitamin D with them.

carole
02-09-2008, 07:25 PM
gosh that is strange to me, most doctors in nz don't tell you to go to the health store and pick up a supplement,mind you i think they should, they always prescribe, i guess they all do the same thing in the end eh? :)

emily_the_spoiled
02-10-2008, 09:19 AM
I suspect the difference may be because you have a national drug plan in NZ, so you have coverage for the pharmaceutical version of the Vitamin D but not the over-the-counter kind. Where as in Alberta, not everyone has prescription drug coverage so it is likely less expensive to purchase the over-the-counter version. Besides you need the Calcium to go with the Vitamin D anyway.

Queen of Poop
02-10-2008, 02:18 PM
I do have drug coverage, but the bottle at the health food store of 100 pills was only $3, so hardly worth all the paperwork.

ramanth
02-10-2008, 02:29 PM
I'm so happy to hear it's something simple. They did the exact same thing to my sister. She had fainted at work, so they ran some tests. The receptionist calls and leaves a message saying she needs to come back in and see the doctor asap.

She's freaking out.

Turns out she has a definciency of a specific vitamin. She just has to take supplements and change her diet a bit.

Why they can't just say, it's non life threating but.... Yeesh!

carole
02-11-2008, 03:09 PM
I have never been told to take calcium with my vitamin D by the doctor, however my calcium levels are great, so maybe that is why.

emily_the_spoiled
02-11-2008, 03:25 PM
If your calcium levels are fine, then you don't need it. The Vitamin D helps the body adsorb the calcium, so that is why they are generally given together.

carole
02-11-2008, 03:41 PM
Oh ok, that is what i thought, thanks for clarifying that for me, cheers. :)